Another update on investigation from the Courant | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another update on investigation from the Courant

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So I’m thinking now that maybe the NCAA didn’t like when Ollie would bring KD on visits and to watch kids or something . Not sure what’s against the rules with that though

Reaction Score
I believe it's still technically on-going.,but it's hard to believe the FBI is going to dedicate a ton of resources to something like this. Plus the US Attorney who held that initial presser has been replaced.

Why not? Not like the FBI has anything else on their plate at the moment.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So I’m thinking now that maybe the NCAA didn’t like when Ollie would bring KD on visits and to watch kids or something . Not sure what’s against the rules with that though
That can’t be anything. Calipari brings jay z into locker rooms and brings lebron around

Reaction Score
As I said on another thread this has the feel of ineptness not planned rules violations to me. An ongoing problem involving multiple guys over a long period but nobody realized it.

The other thing is that this pretty much assures the end of the Ollie regime. If UConn hopes to show it was aggressively dealing with the problem what better way than say “we fired the guy responsible”. An NCAA investigation is pretty much strike 3.

Reaction Score
Somebody complained: player, coach, parent or school. Don't really see the NCAA initiating an investigation on its own unless somebody complained.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As I said on another thread this has the feel of ineptness not planned rules violations to me. An ongoing problem involving multiple guys over a long period but nobody realized it.

The other thing is that this pretty much assures the end of the Ollie regime. If UConn hopes to show it was aggressively dealing with the problem what better way than say “we fired the guy responsible”. An NCAA investigation is pretty much strike 3.
Yeah, guilty until proven innocent.

Everything about this smells like a fishing expedition, figuring that if they cast a wide enough net something's bound to appear.

Have you ever heard anytyhing as ridiculous as general recruiting practices being investigated? And this while giving immunity to those who have been interviewed, who by What we can gather have no connection to the school or program beyond either being a prospective recruit or a competitor for prospective recruits.

I have an anecdote that I don't feel like providing via my cell phone but the point of it is that if you inspect a used car thoroughly enough you will find something wrong. I'd be stunned if any school that participates in competitive athletics hasn't at some point done something that bends, or even defies a rule.

Reaction Score
FCF you are a pretty level headed guy but this conspiracy theory is kind of silly. Why on earth would the NCAA have a conspiracy against UConn? Over Emmett’s problems here? It isn’t like they’ve hurt his career. And he had problems at LSU but isn’t going after that school. Over Calhoun? He has been gone for years now. Because Shabazz gave him a zinger at the awards ceremony...Four YEARS AGO? So he waited around 20 years to get UConn on some petty charge for revenge for a legislative committee saying he did a bad job 5 years after he left that job? Seriously? That’s what you believe?

Reaction Score
I just dont get how the system was so corrupt that the FBI had to get involved before the NCAA smelled it and instead of putting their resources into something productive like finding out how far the corruption stems within schools like miami, arizona and louisville. So they decide to harrass us with inconsequential charge, wasnt it stated that it has nothing to do with our current players?

Reaction Score
This is Blaze related isn't it?
I seem to remember the women's team blowing off Emmert at a few of their Natty ceremonies as well. The little man might be miffed.

Reaction Score
Yeah, guilty until proven innocent.

Everything about this smells like a fishing expedition, figuring that if they cast a wide enough net something's bound to appear.

Have you ever heard anytyhing as ridiculous as general recruiting practices being investigated? And this while giving immunity to those who have been interviewed, who by What we can gather have no connection to the school or program beyond either being a prospective recruit or a competitor for prospective recruits.

I have an anecdote that I don't feel like providing via my cell phone but the point of it is that if you inspect a used car thoroughly enough you will find something wrong. I'd be stunned if any school that participates in competitive athletics hasn't at some point done something that bends, or even defies a rule.

When I hear they are spending significant time and resources looking at our "recruiting process" it looks exactly like a fishing expedition. Searching for some angle to redefine their own rules and make us guilty of something we've been transparently doing for a long time.

Redefine then retroactively punish. Sound familiar? As long as this hangs over us, using the term recruiting process is already enough to turn off some parents and coaches.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

And what makes you sure you know, without doubt, that KO is "the guy responsible"?
Totally ridiculous to claim that at this point
You should be Emmert's right hand man

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
FCF you are a pretty level headed guy but this conspiracy theory is kind of silly. Why on earth would the NCAA have a conspiracy against UConn? Over Emmett’s problems here? It isn’t like they’ve hurt his career. And he had problems at LSU but isn’t going after that school. Over Calhoun? He has been gone for years now. Because Shabazz gave him a zinger at the awards ceremony...Four YEARS AGO? So he waited around 20 years to get UConn on some petty charge for revenge for a legislative committee saying he did a bad job 5 years after he left that job? Seriously? That’s what you believe?
Holds as much water as your KO is without a doubt guilty theory
You have no idea at all, I don't either but I'm not hanging anyone until someone shows me, without a doubt, that someone is guilty
This ain't the old west

Reaction Score
If there is rule violation Ollie is responsible under the NCAA rule that makes head coaches responsible for their programs. The old rule that allowed them to blame a bad apple or a rogue assistant no longer applies.

This conspiracy theory is just so silly.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Guy who holds grudge and disappears for years only to resurface with same grudge says it’s nonsensical to think someone else would do such a thing.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Very creative!

(I don’t get it)
There was an ongoing debate in another thread about whether or not it’s fair to say we’re being persecuted or not. The “we cant say we’re being persecuted” side still admitted that it seems like Emmert has a vendetta against us. Basically a fight over semantics. I took it upon myself to be a sarcastic fool about it.

C

Chief00

This is Blaze related isn't it?
I seem to remember the women's team blowing off Emmert at a few of their Natty ceremonies as well. The little man might be miffed.

He has a track record of inappropriateness despite the image he tries to project.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Honestly I don't understand how the NCAA can pick and choose which schools to put under such a strong microscope.....if they are doing this to UConn they need to do this to everyone.

Investigating UConn about players that didn't come here? What is the point of this other than to destroy the program even further.

Our "recruiting process", c'mon man I doubt KO invented a new way to recruit & whatever his method it didn't work.

I’ve failed to respond to much of this, for about 1,000 reasons... but this rings truest for me.

I can’t even fathom how this happens and it doesn’t get lambasted and questioned...how on EARTH are WE the program being investigated with this man power?

It’s confusing and sickening at once.

Reaction Score
Notice how Emmert goes after schools with female Presidents. Not good optics considering other things going on with him.

uh-gif1.gif

Reaction Score
Echoing what some others have said, the piece of the puzzle that's missing for me is what triggered the need for an investigation. It's not like, 2 years ago, Ollie said that we need to pick up our recruiting and the next year signed 3 McDonald's All Americans, 2 of which decommitted from Duke and Kentucky. There also wasn't something unusual, like Drummond agreeing to be a walk-on. If anything, the opposite has been happening and UConn has been missing on a lot of their top recruits. How does the lack of a smoking gun, even if some other school complained, generate enough suspicion for a 100 hours of interviews?

Reaction Score
Perhaps the NCAA has lifted the hood on our Brewster pipeline:

Makai Ashton Langford
Sidney Wilson
Lukas Kisunas
Jalen Adams
4 commits in under 4 years

We were involved with a number of other BA alums that did not end up coming here. Does such a close association with one program raise a red flag?

We also have, or maybe had, what appeared to be a working relationship with PSA during our courting of Hami - we only ended up with Diarra but we've been involved with a number of others there.

Those two schools definitely stick out if that's what the NCAA is looking at but I'm sure other programs have pipelines at certain prep schools ....right? Ours doesn't seem egregious and worthy of investigation

PSA isn't really a "prep school" though, it's a basketball team, a basketball coach, a headmaster, who happens to be the father-in-law of the basketball coach, and some buildings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom