Another update on investigation from the Courant | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Another update on investigation from the Courant

Reaction Score
We are slowly but surely getting more information on the investigation. We know the investigation goes back a few years, at least as far back as Zach Brown's recruitment. We are also hearing that prep school coaches have been interviewed.

Brown's recruitment pre-dates Killings and Chillious. Recruiting of prep school players like Wenyen Gabriel and Hamidou Diallo also didn't involve Killings and Chillious. Any recruiting pre-summer of 2016 doesn't involve Killings and any recruiting pre-March 2017 doesn't involve Chillious. The only coaches around during the Brown recruitment are Ollie, Glenn Miller, Karl Hobbs, and Ricky Moore.

We also know that UConn is located relatively close to a number of prep schools with highly ranked recruits. It seems UConn has had a lot of interaction with the NE Prep Schools. And Putnam Science Academy has had some issues as the main school shut down.

Just connecting some dots and each day we get more drips of information, we can connect more dots.

C

Chief00

We are slowly but surely getting more information on the investigation. We know the investigation goes back a few years, at least as far back as Zach Brown's recruitment. We are also hearing that prep school coaches have been interviewed.

Brown's recruitment pre-dates Killings and Chillious. Recruiting of prep school players like Wenyen Gabriel and Hamidou Diallo also didn't involve Killings and Chillious. Any recruiting pre-summer of 2016 doesn't involve Killings and any recruiting pre-March 2017 doesn't involve Chillious. The only coaches around during the Brown recruitment are Ollie, Glenn Miller, Karl Hobbs, and Ricky Moore.

We also know that UConn is located relatively close to a number of prep schools with highly ranked recruits. It seems UConn has had a lot of interaction with the NE Prep Schools. And Putnam Science Academy has had some issues as the main school shut down.

Just connecting some dots and each day we get more drips of information, we can connect more dots.

Yeah, Glen Miller's finger prints are all over this mess.

pj

Reaction Score

If the NCAA knew of violations that happened later, they would carry the investigation backward to see when the violations started happening. Interviewing Boo about Zach Brown does not mean that there were violations in Zach Brown's recruitment. To me, it suggests the investigation is focusing on the use of UConn alums as booster/recruiters which violates the rule that only staff can recruit players. They wanted to see if Boo was helping the Huskies recruit, or if Ollie had asked him to help.

Reaction Score
So Boo Coaches AAU. Is he allowed to talk to KO? Did we get all his players? Don't most Coaches come from some other school? Theres a few pictures on Twitter who knows what that means.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
PSA isn't really a "prep school" though, it's a basketball team, a basketball coach, a headmaster, who happens to be the father-in-law of the basketball coach, and some buildings.

And a Chinese investor who spends bookoo bucks on the school.

Reaction Score
Perhaps a dumb question, but let's say the NCAA finds we were "improper" with some guys we didn't get. Wouldn't that then implicate the schools that did get them? If we were shady with Gabriel, is he really turning us down to go clean with another school?

Reaction Score
I’ve failed to respond to much of this, for about 1,000 reasons... but this rings truest for me.

I can’t even fathom how this happens and it doesn’t get lambasted and questioned...how on EARTH are WE the program being investigated with this man power?

It’s confusing and sickening at once.
Because a recruiting violation (if that is what this is) is a recruiting violation no matter where the player commits. It is possible that other schools could be under investigation for the same player.
We really don't have any facts but my gut feel is that if we screwed up it is probably something relatively minor. I'd be more concerned if the FBI was involved.

Reaction Score
Perhaps a dumb question, but let's say the NCAA finds we were "improper" with some guys we didn't get. Wouldn't that then implicate the schools that did get them? If we were shady with Gabriel, is he really turning us down to go clean with another school?
Yes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The other parties involved have been granted immunity.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was reported today that Tennessee's coach Rick Barnes inadvertently committed a minor NCAA violation by paying money out of his pocket to supplement the salary of one of his assistant coaches. Barnes claimed he was unaware that he could not do this. Barnes was told to stop, the assistant received a raise and NCAA had Barnes receive rules education and no further action.

You just can't make this BS up. I dare RE, KO or any UConn coach do the same and see what comes about with their punishment
The NCAA is BS

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
One of the funniest things I heard in a while came from Stugotz earlier this week, paraphrasing but “Mark Emmert is better suited to be the chairman of H-E double L than the N-C-double A.”

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was reported today that Tennessee's coach Rick Barnes inadvertently committed a minor NCAA violation by paying money out of his pocket to supplement the salary of one of his assistant coaches. Barnes claimed he was unaware that he could not do this. Barnes was told to stop, the assistant received a raise and NCAA had Barnes receive rules education and no further action.

You just can't make this BS up. I dare RE, KO or any UConn coach do the same and see what comes about with their punishment
The NCAA is BS
Meanwhile watch KO receive an order to show cause for his choice of suits.

Reaction Score

It doesn’t appear that you think high school basketball players (and their families) have much in the way of integrity.

Reaction Score
Here's the truly sad thing... Who cares ? UConn men's basketball has become basically irrelevant. If actual rules violations took place, so much the better - if the coach cannot put a quality team on the floor AND rules are being broken, he's fired. No buyout required.

At least when this program was relevant, an NCAA investigation had the potential to stand between the team and postseason. Not so much anymore.

And, honestly, with the state of the program, does it really make sense to think the NCAA is going out of it's way to start a "witch hunt" into a program that is already mediocre and declining ? No, that makes not logical sense at all. Mark Emmert has better things to do with his time than go after a mid level program. If he hates UConn so much, I think he'd be content to get a good chuckle out of the state of things as they are.

Reaction Score
Here's the truly sad thing... Who cares ? UConn men's basketball has become basically irrelevant. If actual rules violations took place, so much the better - if the coach cannot put a quality team on the floor AND rules are being broken, he's fired. No buyout required.

At least when this program was relevant, an NCAA investigation had the potential to stand between the team and postseason. Not so much anymore.

And, honestly, with the state of the program, does it really make sense to think the NCAA is going out of it's way to start a "witch hunt" into a program that is already mediocre and declining ? No, that makes not logical sense at all. Mark Emmert has better things to do with his time than go after a mid level program. If he hates UConn so much, I think he'd be content to get a good chuckle out of the state of things as they are.
Your assumptions may be locical
But flawed
It’s a lot easier to destroy a program when they are down and logic plays no roll in the NCAA relationship with UConn.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
My favorite line "Among the many sanctions handed down, the NCAA wants any game vacated that involved an ineligible student-athlete". This is exactly what they need to do at Louisville CC and what they should have done at UNCheat. Anyone taking that sham class should either have been ruled ineligible or had their GPAs recalculated without that class factored in to determine eligibility. Complete sham.
I'd love to see UConn fight whatever comes of this, just don't name names of other schools. Just fight our own fight.

Reaction Score
My favorite line "Among the many sanctions handed down, the NCAA wants any game vacated that involved an ineligible student-athlete". This is exactly what they need to do at Louisville CC and what they should have done at UNCheat. Anyone taking that sham class should either have been ruled ineligible or had their GPAs recalculated without that class factored in to determine eligibility. Complete sham.
I'd love to see UConn fight whatever comes of this, just don't name names of other schools. Just fight our own fight.

If the NCAA wants to punish us by forcing us to vacate any wins that involved an ineligible student athlete, and none of the players actually came here, I think we should probably just say OK.

pj

Reaction Score
If the NCAA wants to punish us by forcing us to vacate any wins that involved an ineligible student athlete, and none of the players actually came here, I think we should probably just say OK.

As long as they don't vacate any of Tyler Olander's championships. I like that 2 > 1.

Reaction Score

Or, how the Syracuse violations started in 2004!

Reaction Score
As long as they don't vacate any of Tyler Olander's championships. I like that 2 > 1.

Absolutely. My point is that none of the recruits seemingly at issue in the investigation actually came here, so there would be nothing to vacate.

Reaction Score
We had better have some good attorneys because the idea that Carolina walked away free and we could be punished makes my blood boil.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom