Another Short Bench for the Huskies This Season? | The Boneyard

Another Short Bench for the Huskies This Season?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
During the 2015-16 Season, UConn’s regular rotation was pretty much confined to 7 players, up until the national championship game when the rotation was reduced to 6 following Lou’s broken foot in the national semifinal. Of course, those 7 players included 6 present and future first team AA’s. The only player not earning AA honors eventually became the 3rd of 3 straight NDPOY’s on that team. UConn has never been particularly deep. But considering their short bench over each of the past two years, the 2016 championship team felt like it had an embarrassment of riches.

Over the past two seasons, UConn has struggled mightily to build a 6-player rotation come tournament time, particularly when you consider injuries to key players along the way. While yesterday’s scrimmage demonstrated that UConn’s starting 5 will be very, very, very good, imo, no one off the bench looked like they could yet be counted on in the big games to come.

I know it is way too early to consider UConn’s rotation this year as finalized. But I had really hoped that one or more of the returning reserves, beyond Megan Walker, would be fighting for a starting position. Yes, Christyn is going to be a very special player at UConn, but I must confess that I was alarmed when I heard that she was the 5th starter several weeks ago. Liv will also be a special player at UConn eventually, but yesterday, as she got knocked around in the post, I had this terrifying vision of Liv matched up in the low post with Kalani Brown.

So where does that leave the Huskies? As he did throughout the regular season last year, and again yesterday, Geno will throw some minutes to various reserves with three to four starters on the floor to see if he can buy a few minutes of rest for his starters in big games, or in case of foul trouble, or, god forbid, in case of injury. UConn will also be playing a lot more zone this year to both limit fouls as well as fatigue, something a certain short-handed team in South Bend did extraordinarily well last season.

As of right now, I believe Batouly and Mikayla are the most likely to get minutes in the big nonconference games vs ND, Baylor, Louisville and SC. Batouly can set picks, rebound and bang in the low post against opposing teams Bigs, similar to Kristina Nelson’s role with ND last year. If Mikayla can play tough defense, penetrate on offense and dish to her teammates, she doesn’t have to score much to be effective in short spells as a sub for Crystal or Christyn. As everyone agrees, Liv is a tremendous athlete and she will be a player. Whether it’s this year or not remains to be seen.

But here’s the good news. Lou and Pheesa will be as good as any pair of teammates in the country. Crystal looks like she will be dropping spectacular dimes as well as raining down threes all over Husky opponents. Megan is ready to show everyone why she was the NPOY as a HS senior and Christyn will be a frontrunner for NFOY. Take that starting 5, and just get them a little bit of help off the bench, and this team is capable of winning it’s 12th national championship banner. It surely won’t be easy, but it’s definitely possible.

One final positive relative to UConn’s short bench was mentioned by several BY’ers yesterday. UConn’s incredible guest list of four future NCAA superstars from the 2018 U17 World Championship Team had to be watching and absolutely believing, “I can come to the best program in the history of WBB and play right away.” Hopefully, that pipeline of four HS AA’s to Storrs will begin with Ms. Jones and Ms. Boston in a few short weeks.

Reaction Score
Yep, that the reserves were outscored by Vanguard is revealing of a lack of a bench. We used to have Kiah Stokes on the bench, and Gabby, and other strong subs. The Vanguard game could be a forecast of tough games to come. If injuries or foul trouble get to the staters, ouch...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
We could petition the NCAA to reduce the quarters to five minutes. That way the starters could play the whole game, no substitutions would be needed and no team would beat them.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Let's face it, this team is 6 deep with the 6th man a freshman P who needs strength and conditioning work.

I'm among the throng who expected (hoped really) that last year's bench would produce a couple of people who could sub and contribute this year. The fourth quarter showed what folly that was.

Poor defense, 0'fer shooting and a repeat of the same mistakes from last year made me think that it's amazing Geno has any hair left.

OMG, next year without Pheesa and KLS. :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
My 2 cents... Regular season... Kyla, Olivia and Mikayla in games we're up 15 pts or less... Everyone else somewhere after that. Post season... Depends on development.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I take a perverse comfort in what ND achieved last season. After 4 ACL surgeries, they were left without a lot of size and only 5 prime time players, a couple of which were very average man-to-man defenders. They squeezed a handful of minutes out of a little used, 5th year senior off the bench, played a lot of zone defense and won a national championship.

Geno is well aware of ND’s recipe for a national championship last season. Don’t think for a NY minute that he won’t follow that same recipe if that’s what it takes.

Reaction Score
I am sorry, but we are starting to hear the same business about the 2nd team or 3rd team players. Geno, please look in the mirror, if you and your coaches cannot these players to do what you need, get new players. Geno is the CEO of UCONN WB, if the players cannot follow directions and your coaching, maybe, we need another voice. UCONN should have won 13 NC if he coached his players better. I was a huge Geno fan for many years, but he needs to coach them better or change the players. I like his bench players....Their skill sets are totally different that the starting 7 players. Where ever you work, how many CEO's blame the mail room or IT for lagging sales or poor performance?

The ANSWER is NONE...…...They FIX it...….

I am sure that I am not the only frustrated UCONN fan on this board.

Reaction Score
I am sorry, but we are starting to hear the same business about the 2nd team or 3rd team players. Geno, please look in the mirror, if you and your coaches cannot these players to do what you need, get new players. Geno is the CEO of UCONN WB, if the players cannot follow directions and your coaching, maybe, we need another voice. UCONN should have won 13 NC if he coached his players better. I was a huge Geno fan for many years, but he needs to coach them better or change the players. I like his bench players....Their skill sets are totally different that the starting 7 players. Where ever you work, how many CEO's blame the mail room or IT for lagging sales or poor performance?

This is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read on this board, and that is really saying something.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

You’re right. Geno’s done a lousy job coaching his players over the years.:rolleyes: As for changing his players, maybe he can stop by his local Walmart and pick up a half dozen additional HS AA’s off the shelf. :confused:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
You’re right. Geno’s done a lousy job coaching his players over the years.:rolleyes: As for changing his players, maybe he can stop by his local Walmart and pick up a half dozen additional HS AA’s off the shelf. :confused:
I think Walmart, in an effort to compete, now has them available on line. If you order more than two, shipping and handling is free! ;)

Reaction Score
This will, at best, be a six player team come the NCAA. Any major injury and we are in trouble. I was hoping Lexi Gordon ( the most unknown of the bench players ) might be one who blossoms. But, I think she was ( again) the last player off of the bench and the one player Geno did not even mention in a pre-game interview, when he was reviewing the team. The recruiting year that yielded Molly and Kyla as depth, is having an impact. I do not think this team can possibly compete with a team like ND, whose bench is as good ( nearly ) as our starting 5. But, it will be an interesting season and we can always hope that UCONN recaptures a magic touch in recruiting. But we are really thin, despite the talent.

Reaction Score
Hey people please remember that this was the 1st exhibition game! All the players are getting in shape and learning about their new teammates! As Geno & staff get more and more valuable practice time in the 2nd group + will fall into line. If they play this way in February then we have reason to worry, but I'll bet the ranch, slowly but surely they'll improve and offer the 5 starters a steady substitute when required!
Almost all the players were sucking wind sometime during the game and we all know they'll wind up as the best conditioned team in Division I!

Reaction Score
During the 2015-16 Season, UConn’s regular rotation was pretty much confined to 7 players, up until the national championship game when the rotation was reduced to 6 following Lou’s broken foot in the national semifinal. Of course, those 7 players included 6 present and future first team AA’s. The only player not earning AA honors eventually became the 3rd of 3 straight NDPOY’s on that team. UConn has never been particularly deep. But considering their short bench over each of the past two years, the 2016 championship team felt like it had an embarrassment of riches.

Over the past two seasons, UConn has struggled mightily to build a 6-player rotation come tournament time, particularly when you consider injuries to key players along the way. While yesterday’s scrimmage demonstrated that UConn’s starting 5 will be very, very, very good, imo, no one off the bench looked like they could yet be counted on in the big games to come.

I know it is way too early to consider UConn’s rotation this year as finalized. But I had really hoped that one or more of the returning reserves, beyond Megan Walker, would be fighting for a starting position. Yes, Christyn is going to be a very special player at UConn, but I must confess that I was alarmed when I heard that she was the 5th starter several weeks ago. Liv will also be a special player at UConn eventually, but yesterday, as she got knocked around in the post, I had this terrifying vision of Liv matched up in the low post with Kalani Brown.

So where does that leave the Huskies? As he did throughout the regular season last year, and again yesterday, Geno will throw some minutes to various reserves with three to four starters on the floor to see if he can buy a few minutes of rest for his starters in big games, or in case of foul trouble, or, god forbid, in case of injury. UConn will also be playing a lot more zone this year to both limit fouls as well as fatigue, something a certain short-handed team in South Bend did extraordinarily well last season.

As of right now, I believe Batouly and Mikayla are the most likely to get minutes in the big nonconference games vs ND, Baylor, Louisville and SC. Batouly can set picks, rebound and bang in the low post against opposing teams Bigs, similar to Kristina Nelson’s role with ND last year. If Mikayla can play tough defense, penetrate on offense and dish to her teammates, she doesn’t have to score much to be effective in short spells as a sub for Crystal or Christyn. As everyone agrees, Liv is a tremendous athlete and she will be a player. Whether it’s this year or not remains to be seen.

But here’s the good news. Lou and Pheesa will be as good as any pair of teammates in the country. Crystal looks like she will be dropping spectacular dimes as well as raining down threes all over Husky opponents. Megan is ready to show everyone why she was the NPOY as a HS senior and Christyn will be a frontrunner for NFOY. Take that starting 5, and just get them a little bit of help off the bench, and this team is capable of winning it’s 12th national championship banner. It surely won’t be easy, but it’s definitely possible.

One final positive relative to UConn’s short bench was mentioned by several BY’ers yesterday. UConn’s incredible guest list of four future NCAA superstars from the 2018 U17 World Championship Team had to be watching and absolutely believing, “I can come to the best program in the history of WBB and play right away.” Hopefully, that pipeline of four HS AA’s to Storrs will begin with Ms. Jones and Ms. Boston in a few short weeks.
This was a really long post to just say that UConn's rotation is right around 5.2 deep.;)

Reaction Score
This is certainly a frustrating topic. These bench players who accepted scholarship offers from UConn who sit and wait, may very well be starting players on other college basketball programs. Ultimately, their own patience may bring them to some tough decisions to either dig in or leave. On the other hand, the choice of UConn coaches to "bet" on these players presents a decision that I wish that I could understand. Having little or no depth on this team presents risks. Risks if a member of the starting team has an injury, risks that he will have tired players, risks that substitutes cannot play at the same level of intensity and leads will be compromised and risks that they cannot compete. We have all wished that UConn would leave the American Conference but maybe it is better that for 16 games they will not have to play with the kind of intensity that would be required if they were in a more competitive league. On the other hand, recruiting might also be different that it is today. That's my 2 pennies worth from the ranch in Northeast New Mexico.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
What is the deal on Camara? Some folks were predicting that she would be a starter and she got what, six minutes? Is she hurt again?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This will, at best, be a six player team come the NCAA. Any major injury and we are in trouble. I was hoping Lexi Gordon ( the most unknown of the bench players ) might be one who blossoms. But, I think she was ( again) the last player off of the bench and the one player Geno did not even mention in a pre-game interview, when he was reviewing the team. The recruiting year that yielded Molly and Kyla as depth, is having an impact. I do not think this team can possibly compete with a team like ND, whose bench is as good ( nearly ) as our starting 5. But, it will be an interesting season and we can always hope that UCONN recaptures a magic touch in recruiting. But we are really thin, despite the talent.
Who on Notre Dame's bench is nearly as good as Uconn's starting five?

Reaction Score
regardless of their difficult out of conference schedule, I wonder how much UConn's banishment to the AAC effects their recruiting..............obviously I enjoy watching the team play regardless of the competition but I have to admit watching a good ACC , SEC or Big12 conference game really makes me envious................I would think many players would like that consistent level of competition..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom