Another Replacement Guard ? | The Boneyard

Another Replacement Guard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the devastating news on Paige, what are the remaining options? Last year we had 6 guards and that was not enough. We had several games where we had no backup guards. That kind of a rash of injuries at the same time is of course very unusual, but going into this season it looked like we had 5 good ones, and now we are down to 4. An injury to just one of those and we once again have no guard backups. That is eased somewhat by having Aubrey back, who I consider mostly a 4, but who for sure could handle the defensive and rebounding obligations at the 3.

So what are our chances of getting some help there at this late stage? The 2022 class has committed, and anyone entering the transfer portal now would have to wait a year. Are there any uncommitted players of value that entered the portal before the deadline to be eligible this year? I suspect very few, but maybe some of our star posters know of someone. It seems like the best of limited options is a foreign player. I think we should be pursuing the best of the eligible guards there aggressively, but also realize it complicates the role for future recruits and already committed ones.

What we really need most is the "rental player" concept, or a one year fix. A point guard or swing 1/2 type might be ideal for this year but how do you recruit a foreign PG for this year, if they know next year Paige and KK are coming not to mention the return of Nika. Maybe there is a grad transfer with a year of eligibility left who was leaning towards just pursuing a graduate degree, and not using that eligibility. The opportunity to spend a year in the Uconn program could be attractive to someone in that position.

If nothing happens on those fronts, I guess Geno should consider the best of the potential walk-ons, but if that happens, I suspect Geno would use three bigs in the lineup instead of a walk-on. The Paige news was a terrible blow, and the options for adding a guard at this stage are very limited, but I am still hoping for some good news in the near future. Going into a season with four guards is very scary. I'm curious what the troops think should be done and what our chances are of getting some help?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Posted in the Paige thread:

UConnCat

Wise Woman​

JoinedAug 23, 2011Messages12,202Reaction Score33,772
I noticed Morgan started following a Spanish guard who played in the FIBA European U20 championships and wondered why she was doing that. Now we know.

Just devastated for Paige.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Score7
Who?
www.fiba.basketball

Elena BUENAVIDA ESTEVEZ at the FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup 2021 - FIBA.basketball

The official website of FIBA, the International Basketball Federation, and the governing body of Basketball. FIBA organises the most famous and prestigious international basketball competitions including the FIBA Basketball World Cup, the FIBA World Championship for Women and the FIBA 3x3 World...
www.fiba.basketball

Reaction Score
I mentioned this on this board a while back. You can never have enough guards. I'm hoping that Geno and staff can find one overseas as Nan pointed out above. If not hen we have four of them. I would expect Ayanna to possibly be included in some guard play.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

sun

Reaction Score
Anna Makurat was listed as guard when she was a freshman in 2019 -2020 and could still be eligibile.
Caroline Ducharme's sister Ashley is listed in the portal as a Brown senior grad transfer that has now "entered the workforce."
She's 6'1" and listed as a forward, & would probably be the equivalent of a walk on.
She made 40% of her FG's and 19% of her 3PT's last season.
Her FT% was 77.8%.

I'll bet that Geno is working his contacts, and I can't imagine him not wanting some roster insurance.
It will reflect badly on him if UConn is without an adequate bench this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How much longer can additions be made to a roster, according to NCAA rules?
( Sorry for my ignorance pertaining to ‘published’ NCAA rules)
To be eligible to play this fall for UCONN a student athlete would have to be enrolled fulltime when the fall semester begins which is 29 August 2022. This would preclude a transfer because just about all WBB had to attend a summer sessions at current universities and the NCAA rules do not allow you to collect scholarship or financial aide from two different institutions in the same semester. For incoming transfers it is possible to become eligible for the spring semester which starts 17 January 2023.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How much longer can additions be made to a roster, according to NCAA rules?
( Sorry for my ignorance pertaining to ‘published’ NCAA rules)
I don’t believe that there is any limitation to adding a new scholarship player to the roster, as opposed to the undergraduate transfer cutoff of May 1, so long as that player is enrolled for the fall semester. In addition, during past seasons, scholarships for graduate transfers were sometimes held up until late in the summer, until players finished their undergraduate programs at their former school during summer sessions.

So other than the immediate transfer eligibility guidelines for undergraduate transfers, the only limitation would be a school’s academic calendar as to the last day to register for classes.

Reaction Score
This young lady Claudia Contell was the MVP of the FIBA European U20 championships and looks to have great potential.

FIBA U20 Women's European Championship 2022 - FIBA.basketball
Her low shooting numbers in the tournament would give me some pause.

Thanks to Husky Nan and Coco for info/links on these two prospects. This one on paper looks more promising to me, but it is always difficult interpreting some foreign stats. The shooting stats speak for themselves, but assists are given out very conservatively over there so I have to keep that in mind for both of these players, who by US standards might look to be low on assists. On the other hand I believe the rebounds and steals were very good. If I didn't know the height or the position designation I might have thought I was looking at the stats for a SF instead of a PG. Regardless being an MVP for U20 championship is impressive.

Reaction Score
This young lady Claudia Contell was the MVP of the FIBA European U20 championships and looks to have great potential.

FIBA U20 Women's European Championship 2022 - FIBA.basketball
Her low shooting numbers in the tournament would give me some pause.

Claudia Contell was the lady that I looked up on the FIBA U 20 statistics page. Note: Spain
won the tournament and played six guard (at least) and I 4-point guards. So low numbers
in scoring may be less of an issue than other factors. 1) Claudia shared primary point guard
duties with Mama Demello (sp) (Mama plays for U of Missouri! 22.2 minutes for Mama and
20.5 minutes for Claudia. Claudia had an efficiency of 9.4 to Mama's 5.7. Claudia 2.3
assists per game (3.6 per 40 min), Mama 3.1 apg / 5.7 per 40. Then there was Claudia with
low turnovers (I think that she was #21 of the whole field of point guards) and Claudia was also low
in fouls (a nice complement/balance to NIKA!). Claudia was # 3 in the whole field of
Guards in STEALS! and Claudia is 5' 10"!!! The other Spanish guards play lesser minutes, had
lesser points and were only remarkable in that most of the Spanish guards were HIGH in the
tournament ranking in STEALS (one was # 6 overall in steals). So... Spain had " fast" guards and Claudia was the quickest??
Check out the FIBA U20 Women's Championship web page to check my quick review of the
numbers. I think Claudia is more than just a "warm body" to fill UCONN's extra guard needs. It
just doesn't seem that she could be eligible, before January 2023??? Can she enroll and " walk on"??
I'll be watching for all the future developments. Z

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Score7

www.fiba.basketball

Elena BUENAVIDA ESTEVEZ at the FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup 2021 - FIBA.basketball

The official website of FIBA, the International Basketball Federation, and the governing body of Basketball. FIBA organises the most famous and prestigious international basketball competitions including the FIBA Basketball World Cup, the FIBA World Championship for Women and the FIBA 3x3 World...
www.fiba.basketball
She appears to have signed to play for UCLA.

CB87DAA1-4223-453F-B1F0-5C11EDE4085C.jpeg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Claudia Contell was the lady that I looked up on the FIBA U 20 statistics page. Note: Spain
won the tournament and played six guard (at least) and I 4-point guards. So low numbers
in scoring may be less of an issue than other factors. 1) Claudia shared primary point guard
duties with Mama Demello (sp) (Mama plays for U of Missouri! 22.2 minutes for Mama and
20.5 minutes for Claudia. Claudia had an efficiency of 9.4 to Mama's 5.7. Claudia 2.3
assists per game (3.6 per 40 min), Mama 3.1 apg / 5.7 per 40. Then there was Claudia with
low turnovers (I think that she was #21 of the whole field of point guards) and Claudia was also low
in fouls (a nice complement/balance to NIKA!). Claudia was # 3 in the whole field of
Guards in STEALS! and Claudia is 5' 10"!!! The other Spanish guards play lesser minutes, had
lesser points and were only remarkable in that most of the Spanish guards were HIGH in the
tournament ranking in STEALS (one was # 6 overall in steals). So... Spain had " fast" guards and Claudia was the quickest??
Check out the FIBA U20 Women's Championship web page to check my quick review of the
numbers. I think Claudia is more than just a "warm body" to fill UCONN's extra guard needs. It
just doesn't seem that she could be eligible, before January 2023??? Can she enroll and " walk on"??
I'll be watching for all the future developments. Z
I agree with your assessment of both the tournament and Claudia's play in. A few additional thoughts: This was a U20 tournament and Claudia was one of the younger players on the Spanish team and still managed to come away with the MVP. I did not see many high potential NCAA prospects in this tournament. The Spanish team had Gisela Sanchez who was a pretty good prospect for Arizona last season but she did not pan out as promised and transferred to Kansas State (?). Spanish team was mostly utilizing a 4 out (sometimes 5 out) similar to Villanova. Claudia seemed to excel in that type of offense. Given the situation we are in I don't envision UCONN playing much 4 out offense so she would have to make that adjustment as well.

In order for Claudia or any other player to be eligible this fall they must be enrolled full time at UCONN by 29 August or the start of Fall semester. That is roughly 3 weeks from now, so I'm not optimistic that someone from Spain would pack bags & make a life changing decision to come suit up for UCONN & be there by the end of this month. The eligibility requirements are the same regardless if she is a walk on or a scholarship student athlete.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
You are correct.

“Elena Buenavida signed a pro contract in Spain​

Posted on Jun 22nd, 11:39 AM, So will not join the Bruin WBB team this fall. Per most recent update from Coach Close Buenavida still needed to pass an English language proficiency exam.
Raoul Tweet re: Elena Buenavida
Too bad she isn‘t coming but fortunately the Bruins will have depth at point guard over the next few years, barring a transfer:“

I don't know if signing a pro contract would make her ineligible.

Reaction Score
Anna Makurat was listed as guard when she was a freshman in 2019 -2020 and could still be eligibile.
Caroline Ducharme's sister Ashley is listed in the portal as a Brown senior grad transfer that has now "entered the workforce."
She's 6'1" and listed as a forward, & would probably be the equivalent of a walk on.
She made 40% of her FG's and 19% of her 3PT's last season.
Her FT% was 77.8%.

I'll bet that Geno is working his contacts, and I can't imagine him not wanting some roster insurance.
It will reflect badly on him if UConn is without an adequate bench this year.
It isn't coach's fault that Paige got hurt. Prior to that, you weren't saying he had an inadequate bench. Give him a break.

Reaction Score
Truth.
Some of us felt the roster was a little light coming in.
Can’t let players “chirping “ in your ear about how many minutes they want or that Coach “owes” them minutes.
Eventually (maybe now) Coach will realize that a win by 10 and a win by 45 still equal only one win.
Motivate players 9-15 (?) to bust it in practice and EARN court time in games.
He puts the team together and that is his ( and staffs) job.
And, no, I am not going to rehash last years Notre Dame game when, with one minute left and up by 20, catastrophe occurred.
New dynamic in the game, new top dogs, higher level of competition across the board.
Treat the regular season like tournament time.
Sure, experiment with various player
combinations on the floor during live fire ( games) then put the opponent away and move on.
Redundantly restated-please no more 7-8 player rotations and 50 point wins.
( hunkered down for incoming)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Truth.
Some of us felt the roster was a little light coming in.
Can’t let players “chirping “ in your ear about how many minutes they want or that Coach “owes” them minutes.
Eventually (maybe now) Coach will realize that a win by 10 and a win by 45 still equal only one win.
Motivate players 9-15 (?) to bust it in practice and EARN court time in games.
He puts the team together and that is his ( and staffs) job.
And, no, I am not going to rehash last years Notre Dame game when, with one minute left and up by 20, catastrophe occurred.
New dynamic in the game, new top dogs, higher level of competition across the board.
Treat the regular season like tournament time.
Sure, experiment with various player
combinations on the floor during live fire ( games) then put the opponent away and move on.
Redundantly restated-please no more 7-8 player rotations and 50 point wins.
( hunkered down for incoming)
no-youre-not.gif

Reaction Score
The loudest noise was for more bigs. But there was a subtler roar for more guards. 6 seemed to have been the preferred number, but folks were pacified when Lou seemed to make 5.

Personally, I don't think Ayanna or Aubrey can really operate as guards, at least not for long stretches. Aubrey has the speed, but not the handles, and can make mistakes if she has the ball at midcourt, as well as picking up her dribble prematurely in the lane. Ayanna isn't nearly quick enough, but she has good handles, and knows how to pass off the drive nd can finish at the rim. Smaller opponents will probably be able to get offensive fouls off her, though her sheer size and speed may make this a daunting prospect.

Against UCLA, Geno was forced to run 3 bigs for stretches, and Osborne and Penn took serious advantage of that lineup. But we had only 3 healthy guards and no backups. Aubrey would have been a blessing at moments like that, just for team speed on D. A lineup like Dorka Aaliyah Ayanna (or Ice) Aubrey will be too slow on D and O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom