Another reason why Andre Jackson chose UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Another reason why Andre Jackson chose UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Homes that cost $150k here in 2005 now go for $750k. $300k are at a million. It's crazy. By "poor" city, you mean % of residents in poverty. It's very high in poor people. But, there are other ways to measure whether it's a poor city. It's a city of very poor people and very well off people.
You’ve just described most of America.

Reaction Score
My mom is from Gloversville near Amsterdam and the greatest difference between that area and for instance, the Valley, is proximity to NYC. One reason Connecticut and the former Connecticut mill towns are better off is there is a network of commerce between NYC and Boston. Another fact about upstate NY state is that Montreal and Toronto are closer to many of those towns then NYC and Boston.

Reaction Score
I am heading to Lake George on Sunday for a week of some Kayak fishing and foliage seeking then heading down to Binghamton, NY. to see my son and new grandson :)

Well, you'll pass through Schenectady and avoid Amsterdam then.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
And Hamilton College isn't that far either. Come on, they made the NCAA Tournament last season and went to the Sweet 16. O.K. it was Division 3 but why not?

Hamilton is legit!

Reaction Score
My mom is from Gloversville near Amsterdam and the greatest difference between that area and for instance, the Valley, is proximity to NYC. One reason Connecticut and the former Connecticut mill towns are better off is there is a network of commerce between NYC and Boston. Another fact about upstate NY state is that Montreal and Toronto are closer to many of those towns then NYC and Boston.

Yup. There are towns in the Hudson Valley that were absolute dumps when I was a kid that are now being infiltrated by NYC money and being remade.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yup. There are towns in the Hudson Valley that were absolute dumps when I was a kid that are now being infiltrated by NYC money and being remade.

What's the view of the area around Marist college? May look there soon in our school tour process.

Reaction Score
What's the view of the area around Marist college? May look there soon in our school tour process.
It's a beautiful campus right on the Hudson. A long time since I visited but the campus was completely safe and enclosed. Poughkeepsie was a burnt out dump but there would really be no reason for kids to hang out in those areas.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'll have to tell that to my Mom in the burbs east of New Haven! Her home value fell precipitously in that time.
Referring to majority at or near poverty level and a minority pushing up a small section of property values.

Reaction Score
Every small city in NY State is an absolute dump from what I've seen. Not familiar with Amsterdam but Poughkeepsie, Troy, Utica, Newburgh, Monticello, Niagara Falls, Utica, Schenectady etc. are bad. NY State has a lot of natural beauty but if you didn't know any better you would think you're in Mississippi.

My grandson moved to Newbugh afewyears after graduation. It has many beautiful sections as well as not so nice ones. He took us to a not so nice section to eat, a small restaurant with a few tables. Food was excellent! Brick chicken yum.
No problems.

Reaction Score
It's a beautiful campus right on the Hudson. A long time since I visited but the campus was completely safe and enclosed. Poughkeepsie was a burnt out dump but there would really be no reason for kids to hang out in those areas.

The Marist campus is gorgeous. Pughkeepsie is not.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Marist campus is gorgeous. Pughkeepsie is not.

I remember visiting there as a high school kid and thinking that its buildings looked like prisons- all that gray. Perfectly manicured grass, though.

Reaction Score
Some of these are great little towns. Troy and Niagara Falls. As for NF, the area near the Falls is rough, but the homes in the neighborhoods in the city itself are really nice. I lived in Troy for 4 years, it's a teeny city, but I really liked living there. I lived around Washington Park, which is the Park around which "Night Before Christmas" was written. Great buildings all around town. I wonder what you saw that made you think it was dumpy. Utica I found can be dumpy, Amsterdam was weird and very rough. But Troy and NF are not bad at all. People get the wrong impression because of the area near the Falls.
Ithaca is Gorges

Reaction Score
I know it well. I lived there. Someone recently said that the Ruck, which opened when I got there, is still there 25 years later. I did say it's a teeny city (basically I meant the central downtown area was nice) and yes, as you drive up toward Cohoes, things get sketchy quick. I lived around Washington Park back then.

The Ruck still there and still busy. Was there on a pub crawl this summer and it was a min scene. Good beer selection.

Reaction Score
Every small city in NY State is an absolute dump from what I've seen. Not familiar with Amsterdam but Poughkeepsie, Troy, Utica, Newburgh, Monticello, Niagara Falls, Utica, Schenectady etc. are bad. NY State has a lot of natural beauty but if you didn't know any better you would think you're in Mississippi.

Whatever the topic, superjohn, you come up with some of the most uninformed comments going. Congrats.

I am from Colonie - the working class suburb of Albany. My Dad, a UCONN BS MS Pharmacy, landed as a Professor at the Pharmacy college in Albany and had a 55 year career. Myself, my daughter and about 10 cousins (the family is from Derby - Shelton - Southbury) enjoyed our years at UCONN; we are stakeholders and true blue.

Today, I work in real estate with projects in Albany and Hudson NY ... and Baltimore and Atlanta. Student housing parcel just went under contract in Chattanooga.

For me, the most compelling thing you can say about Upstate (Westchester people - where I live now - say it starts at the Tappan Zee (not Mario Cuomo BR) is the move of NYC money up the Hudson. This is also true of Stamford and Greenwich; Rye & White Plains & Scarsdale. It is true of NJ: Bergen County and now the amazing transformation of Asbury Park. In Hudson NY (formerly the Albany area center of whorehouses and drugs - see pre 1990) you could buy 1860-1910 houses for $90k in the 1990s; today they are selling for $1.2 to $1.9m. Why is that? It is the young people coming up on the train from Penn Station (Brooklyn or Manhattan) seeing value. The Airbnbs (there are over 170 of them in Hudson - a city with normal population of 7400) are highly priced. The counties Dutchess (I guess you exclude Poughkeepsie) to Columbia to eastern Rensselaer to Berkshire ... to Litchfield CT are all seeing slices of this. Culinary - Wineries/Breweries - Home Goods (lots of internet focus) - Art - Music. The Jitney that only used to go to the Hamptons now goes up to Columbia Cty. Westside Manhattan wealth are buying near Woodstock.

There's not much going on in Connecticut beyond the same pattern. I love Rochester; I love parts of many upstate cities. But the real engine is the wealth seeping out of NYC. That's probably similar to NH from Boston; Delaware from Philly. Both Toronto & Montreal are booming; but few (other than Burlington VT) feel that.

Amsterdam? Used to be mostly Italian & Polish when I was a kid (hmmm sounds like Derby); today, it is Hispanic. Rough? Well ... immigrant and it's developing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

post/avatar?

Reaction Score
Whatever the topic, superjohn, you come up with some of the most uninformed comments going. Congrats.

I am from Colonie - the working class suburb of Albany. My Dad, a UCONN BS MS Pharmacy, landed as a Professor at the Pharmacy college in Albany and had a 55 year career. Myself, my daughter and about 10 cousins (the family is from Derby - Shelton - Southbury) enjoyed our years at UCONN; we are stakeholders and true blue.

Today, I work in real estate with projects in Albany and Hudson NY ... and Baltimore and Atlanta. Student housing parcel just went under contract in Chattanooga.

For me, the most compelling thing you can say about Upstate (Westchester people - where I live now - say it starts at the Tappan Zee (not Mario Cuomo BR) is the move of NYC money up the Hudson. This is also true of Stamford and Greenwich; Rye & White Plains & Scarsdale. It is true of NJ: Bergen County and now the amazing transformation of Asbury Park. In Hudson NY (formerly the Albany area center of whorehouses and drugs - see pre 1990) you could buy 1860-1910 houses for $90k in the 1990s; today they are selling for $1.2 to $1.9m. Why is that? It is the young people coming up on the train from Penn Station (Brooklyn or Manhattan) seeing value. The Airbnbs (there are over 170 of them in Hudson - a city with normal population of 7400) are highly priced. The counties Dutchess (I guess you exclude Poughkeepsie) to Columbia to eastern Rensselaer to Berkshire ... to Litchfield CT are all seeing slices of this. Culinary - Wineries/Breweries - Home Goods (lots of internet focus) - Art - Music. The Jitney that only used to go to the Hamptons now goes up to Columbia Cty. Westside Manhattan wealth are buying near Woodstock.

There's not much going on in Connecticut beyond the same pattern. I love Rochester; I love parts of many upstate cities. But the real engine is the wealth seeping out of NYC. That's probably similar to NH from Boston; Delaware from Philly. Both Toronto & Montreal are booming; but few (other than Burlington VT) feel that.

Amsterdam? Used to be mostly Italian & Polish when I was a kid (hmmm sounds like Derby); today, it is Hispanic. Rough? Well ... immigrant and it's developing.
Geezus, this was an indecipherable scrawl.

Obviously struck a nerve with you and I would like to go through this point by point but there doesn't really seem to be any point. Some NYC people with money have moved north of the city, no s****.

Yep, Hudson isn't all brothels anymore and some city folk bought property there but you're an idiot if you think it isn't still depressed. You barely have to get off Warren Street to see how poor some areas are. My opinion isn't a controversial one, of course there are some really nice towns and there are enclaves with money, even great wealth but there is a large amount of poverty in upstate NY. My eyes and the numbers don't lie. Towns like Hudson and Kingston have embraced the arts, had NY Times articles written about them, and have cleaned up some areas but they are still struggling, again my eyes and more importantly the numbers don't lie. The other places I mentioned have far more problems.

Interesting you tell me I'm uninformed yet you don't bring up a single town I brought up to refute a single thing I said. Instead you bring up Asbury Park, Litchfield, and Canada. A little advice, if you're going to tell someone they're ill informed you should actually try and inform them about the subject you're calling them out on.

This is still better than you talking about basketball and how great Ollie is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom