Another problem with this conference.. | The Boneyard

Another problem with this conference..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
is that UCONN travels a hell of lot more than the other teams in this league. You could talk about effort and skill set but this team look flat out tired. These trips to Texas drain us.

Reaction Score
is that UCONN travels a hell of lot more than the other teams in this league. You could talk about effort and skill set but this team look flat out tired. These trips to Texas drain us.

It doesn't help but Houston has one win in this league this year. Against us.

So obviously there is something we are not doing right.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll bite. Won't SMU travel the same difference to come to UConn. Memphis is probably the geographical center of the conference. Every other team has long hauls. UConn is no different.

And I'll be honest. Travelling from Hartford to Dallas on a charter flight shouldn't ever effect the performance of a high level D1 athlete.

Reaction Score
Then we fly home god knows and fly right back out to Memphis. Has to take its toll.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
In case anyone hasn't noticed, we are in the top right corner of the country - any league we are in is going to involve travel. Do you think it's going to be easier if we have to go to Wisconsin and Minnesota?

We actually have a built in advantage based on travel. It's way easier traveling East to West than West to East. Gaining hours vs losing hours is huge. Trust me, I live in LA and my family still lives in CT. It takes two days to get in synch going back East. It takes no time coming out West.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem is being every stupid team's Super Bowl. Tulsa...Tulane...SMU...watch one of their home games when we're not in town. How many times did Dave O'Brien say it was a "record" crowd. Like was it not a sell out? Have they never sold out?? 7k seats in a city with 2.5million? They could fill that tin can with the homeless.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Then we fly home god knows and fly right back out to Memphis. Has to take its toll.

The Memphis game is Thursday. It is a 9:00pm EST start, 8:00 CST start. Smart money says UConn hasn't played a good game with a 9:00 EST/EDT start in a looonngg time.

Realistically the travel shouldn't matter one bit. Three days to recover before a 2 1/2 hour flight?

Reaction Score
The biggest problem is being every stupid team's Super Bowl. Tulsa...Tulane...SMU...watch one of their home games when we're not in town. How many times did Dave O'Brien say it was a "record" crowd. Like was it not a sell out? Have they never sold out?? 7k seats in a city with 2.5million? They could fill that tin can with the homeless.

yeah thats it, we are losing to these teams because all their fans are coming, not cause we have lousy talent, and arent playing well. Cuse and Louisville and pitt never used to sell out when we came to their places for big games

Reaction Score

I personally liked the moment on TV when the SMU "fan" clearly didn't understand what a jump ball was.

Reaction Score

We were playing for our season tonight. It should have been our Super Bowl, too.

Reaction Score
That's why the first 5 minutes had me so excited. Looked like we were playing that way. Then *poof*.

I know, man, when we stormed out to that 10-3 lead I thought it might be our night. I don't think the result had too much to do with effort, though. This team is just flawed and working through growing pains.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That's why the first 5 minutes had me so excited. Looked like we were playing that way. Then *poof*.
the whistle and brimahs fouls

Reaction Score
Brown changed his defensive scheme on the fly - started icing the pick and rolls instead of chasing. We're too young and inexperienced at this point to counter a good adjustment like that.

This was just a masterful performance from Brown and SMU. Bet you we bounce back in a significant way vs. Memphis.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I'll bite. Won't SMU travel the same difference to come to UConn. Memphis is probably the geographical center of the conference. Every other team has long hauls. UConn is no different.

And I'll be honest. Travelling from Hartford to Dallas on a charter flight shouldn't ever effect the performance of a high level D1 athlete.
Answered the question: high level D1 athlete.

Reaction Score
The Huskies need to exit this conference. Travel is only one big reason. There is little Husky fan interest in HU, SMU, Tulsa, and others. Eventually this conference will hurt other Husky athletic programs. If it hasn't already.

Reaction Score
Houston Dallas (both Major hubs) & Florida are all easy direct flights.....it was probably worse getting to Morgantown, Blacksburg or louisville

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
So no to a Big10 invite??
Nebraska Iowa Minnesota among others are long trips - I say A10.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The Huskies need to exit this conference. Travel is only one big reason. There is little Husky fan interest in HU, SMU, Tulsa, and others. Eventually this conference will hurt other Husky athletic programs. If it hasn't already.
I'm interested in beating SMU on the Bb court and FB field - damn crap conf has teams that are better than ours...

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I was thinking that with the winter we're having, being able to tell recruits they'll be taking multiple trips to warmer climbs throughout the winter might not be a bad thing.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
No more West Coast trips. The two Florida's have to be back to back, the two Texas games have to be back to back, Mempis and Tulsa have to be back to back. We need to play Nova, Cuse, BC, PC etc., for strength of schedule and to limit travel.
Most importantly, we have to assume that this is our league for better or worse. Or we have no hope.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
No more West Coast trips. The two Florida's have to be back to back, the two Texas games have to be back to back, Memphis and Tulsa and/or Tulane have to be back to back. We need to play Nova, Cuse, BC, PC etc., for strength of schedule and to limit travel.
Most importantly, we have to assume that this is our league for better or worse. Or we have no hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom