Another point of view | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Another point of view

Reaction Score
there’s a lot to like of this team and I think we get tougher next year. What we are missing is a savvy and crafty post player with a midrange game like Pheesa or Tuck. I think our guard play and defense will be fine but we just don’t have that crafty smart post player that will fight for 14 points and get us critical baskets down low in tough games. I don’t think we get that next year as the class doesn’t have that player so we will need AE to develop more moves and have a better feel around the basket to eliminate fouls and finish better. With Azzi it will certainly help give more opportunities for the bigs. I believe Geno should consider looking at the portal for a crafty big, I think we are missing that for the team.
I think we need some crafty guards who can make crafty passes to the post when they're open [which was quite often, but missed] .. Nika knows how to do it [crafty] and so does Paige, eh?
IMO, you won't find better 'bigs' in the portal than ONO & AE. As a matter of fact, if ONO or AE entered the portal, they would be snatched up in a nanosecond!

Reaction Score
I don't worry about AE, she is a freshman with freshman mistakes, but we had 3 freshman carrying us toward the end of the season. that has to be a positive in their growth that fast. i am amazed that they got as far as they did and that Baylor game was a drag out war. their is no shame in this loss to me. they will be better for it next year. i am confident that the immaturity will vanish and we will see some stellar shooting next year.

Reaction Score
One of the observations over the last few seasons is we are predominantly a finesse team without ultra-athletic guard. No team has every thing, but these gaps have hurt us over the past few years. Outside of AE we haven't had a physical presence inside since Dolson/Tuck, and we haven't had an athletic guard since Jefferson/Nurse. I am looking forward to AE filling one of those gaps.
Could Mir fill that function?
Seems to have the athleticism?

Reaction Score
It was so strange to watch Liv miss so many shots underneath. It felt like she was expecting her shots to be blocked when she had the height advantage. I don't think she will ever be a physical player like AE,

She missed layups all the time, especially in big games.

Williams, I think, turned a corner this year, and it was evident in the final four game.

Im not sure what ONO needs. I almost think it’s a strength issue, but smarter people than me can figure it out.

and I think it might be better for her to come off the bench next season. Not as a punishment, but because I think playing against a great team’s post off the bench would be an advantage to her.

that being said, this game was always going to come down to Paige and Aaliyah...and that’s what a team dependent on freshmen looks like in a final four game.

I don’t blame them at all - If the pressure of the final four can get Diana Taurasi and Kemba Walker as freshman, it could get anyone.

furthermore, although I think this team is more talented than the team Diana played on in her final two seasons...In the 20 years that I’ve watched UConn, Bueckers is the only player I’ve seen who had to carry the load in the way that Diana did.

Expecting a freshman - as great as she is, to do what the greatest woman’s basketball player of all time did as a Junior and Senior is asking a lot, and a damn near impossible task. And getting the team to the Final Four is beyond what our expectations should have been.

Reaction Score
Because we have two excellent slashers and Liv is a very good passer from out there. Her move to the top coincided with her improved shooting form 15-17. With the middle open CW and PB can slash to the rim or to the mid range and Aaliyah (and Aubrey) will not have to fight their post for offensive boards but the other teams 4 where she dominates. It is a sound offensive strategy based upon our strengths and our poor 3 point shooting from everyone except paige.
CW can’t slash to the rim when she’s sitting on the bench with 5 fouls. I lost all respect for Dee Kantner after she stated after examining the replay that CW’s 5th foul was a good call. The replay showed to the home audience that Christyn never even touched her. Rebecca and her co broadcaster were incredulous when everything was replayed on tv. I hope Kantner is brought up on dereliction of duty or something by college basketball. Saying there was not enough evidence to overturn the foul call was a blatant lie.

Reaction Score
My goodness. The desperate need to cast about for excuses shall not be denied ...

No one forced Geno to play his freshmen.
Brought up a fact, and it bothers you!
You'll notice I didn't say this is why UCONN lost these 2 games, but its a fact they did lose to these 2 teams who would gave been nothing without their 23 yr old 5th year players!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not reasons we lost:
—the refs
—the conference
—the NCAA
—Covid, global warming, the Illuminati, etc.

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Oh, it’s always the Illuminati‘s fault.
[whispers] They‘re everywhere.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
In short, I’m not disappointed one bit. This is a young and for the most part inexperienced team. I throughly enjoyed watching our team in what had to be the most difficult and unpredictable season yet. They were a good team, but not a great team. They never led in their last game, and I don’t believe they would have beaten Stanford.

During the summer I formed the opinion that if this team made it to the final four, they would reach their potential. They reached the final four. This year’s team is not a championship team, it was not their year. I believe next year it will be. Yes, I’m going in to next season expecting our team to win the national championship.
Damn! What a welcome and pleasant surprise after all the teeth gnashing and eager fault finding-- a balanced, sane, knowing assessment of this year's team, one that understands and appreciates their— players AND coaches— remarkable work and successes. Carnac, thank you.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This is the only comment I’m going to make regarding this season. Then I’m taking a 1-2 week break from the yard. I was emotionally drained after the Baylor game.

In short, I’m not disappointed one bit. This is a young and for the most part inexperienced team. I throughly enjoyed watching our team in what had to be the most difficult and unpredictable season yet. They were a good team, but not a great team. They never led in their last game, and I don’t believe they would have beaten Stanford.

During the summer I formed the opinion that if this team made it to the final four, they would reach their potential. They reached the final four. This year’s team is not a championship team, it was not their year. I believe next year it will be. Yes, I’m going in to next season expecting our team to win the national championship.

I look forward to welcoming our new freshmen to the team, and debating (as we do every summer), who the starting 5 will be. I look forward to the resumption of the season in the fall, but I also welcome the spring and summer seasons as well.
Enjoy your break @Carnac, get some rest and recuperation, but I want you to know that I will miss your incites during your absence my friend.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our upperclassmen didn't provide needed leadership. But going forward, our best players have FF experience now so the team won't have to rely on the seniors next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom