Another gem of a speech from Calhoun | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Another gem of a speech from Calhoun

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun is a treasure. He's done it all and done it all well. He is clearly one of the Greatest of All Time. He is, without a doubt, the VERY BEST bench coach anyone has ever seen. That alone separates him from all others. He has a feel for the game that no one else has and the audacity to back it up and the best evaluator of talent as well.

During the 1999 championship game, no one gave us a chance to beat K. He had been made a saint by Vitale and Dook was the 'best team ever assembled.' We fell behind a couple of points early then came back and made it a 4-5 point game throughout. Late in the first period, Jim inserted Antric Klaiber into the lineup. Klaiber probably didn't see 2 or 3 minutes on average throughout the whole season. He was clearly a practice player. But Jim put him in for a couple minutes just to make a statement. He was telling K and Vitale and the entire Dook team, "We are going to beat your ass regardless of who we have on the court." Word has it that we did!
No one but him knew we had the team to win it all with Kemba in 2011. He saw it before anyone. I think even before the cross over ankle breaker by Kemba that won the BE.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I was told he also talked about getting revenge for 2006 vs Larrañaga.
I kinda hope that ain’t true. It would be bad mojo. You can think it but not say it!

Reaction Score
Who did Miami bring in for a rally speech?

I'll wait.
1680205288228.jpeg

Reaction Score
How about a guy that averaged 29.7 pts/game in his Miami career..37/game his senior year?? Rick Barry.. Who is Rick Barry?? That's the conundrum.. The only guy who knows who Rick Barry is/was is Coach L.. His players would have to do a Google search on RB and fact check the Coach..

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
How about a guy that averaged 29.7 pts/game in his Miami career..37/game his senior year?? Rick Barry.. Who is Rick Barry?? That's the conundrum.. The only guy who knows who Rick Barry is/was is Coach L.. His players would have to do a Google search on RB and fact check the Coach..

Nah. everyone knows who Rick Barry is, he's the dude who shot free throws like a chick.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun is a treasure. He's done it all and done it all well. He is clearly one of the Greatest of All Time. He is, without a doubt, the VERY BEST bench coach anyone has ever seen. That alone separates him from all others. He has a feel for the game that no one else has and the audacity to back it up and the best evaluator of talent as well.

During the 1999 championship game, no one gave us a chance to beat K. He had been made a saint by Vitale and Dook was the 'best team ever assembled.' We fell behind a couple of points early then came back and made it a 4-5 point game throughout. Late in the first period, Jim inserted Antric Klaiber into the lineup. Klaiber probably didn't see 2 or 3 minutes on average throughout the whole season. He was clearly a practice player. But Jim put him in for a couple minutes just to make a statement. He was telling K and Vitale and the entire Dook team, "We are going to beat your ass regardless of who we have on the court." Word has it that we did!
"The Duke Invitational" they were calling it if memory serves. They were blowing the doors off teams. I remember one pre-game court-side Calhoun interview. The guy saying how preeminent and feared Duke was, like it was universally acknowledged. Calhoun said something like, "They lost only one game, we lost two. We think we're pretty good too." I still have the VHS tape I made of that game. Never gets old.

Dooooomed!
77-74
Not one dime back.
He couldn't guard a chair.
How can you be 6'6" and get no rebounds?

Reaction Score
@mauconnfan, I'm out of my mind. I can't think about anything else.
My wife said to me "shouldn't you relax you've won four already" (yes, me personally) and I said the next one is the most important one!! So she went online and bought me some UConn socks. I love my wife. I love UConn Mens basketball just a little bit more. If you run into her don't tell her I said that:)
Damn you got a good one!!!

Reaction Score
"The Duke Invitational" they were calling it if memory serves. They were blowing the doors off teams. I remember one pre-game court-side Calhoun interview. The guy saying how preeminent and feared Duke was, like it was universally acknowledged. Calhoun said something like, "They lost only one game, we lost two. We think we're pretty good too." I still have the VHS tape I made of that game. Never gets old.

Dooooomed!
77-74
Not one dime back.
He couldn't guard a chair.
How can you be 6'6" and get no rebounds?
If this is Bill, I have your VHS

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That and his utter confidence that this team could win the whole thing. As a player, to hear Jim Calhoun come in and say “I know what championship teams look like and you championship team” must be unbelievable and empowering.

Kudos to Dan Hurley for being comfortable enough in his own skin that he’s not intimidated having Jim Calhoun talk to his team.

(We are still doomed.)

Good leaders don't fear bringing in other good leaders. Good leaders love to bring in other leaders to show what is going on share perspectives.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom