OT: - Another do you remember when: John Lennon's assassination | The Boneyard

OT: Another do you remember when: John Lennon's assassination

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I remember December 8,1980.
I was in a hotel in Pittsfield MA watching MNF when Howard Cosell announced Lennon's death during the Dolphins and Patriots game. I was born in Pittsfield but at the time I was working and living in MD and was on a business trip to the Berkshires.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I was in 3rd grade.... watching MNF. I had no idea who he was, but figured he must have been a person of some importance for them to mention it during a football game.

Reaction Score
Yes, but it doesn't stick in my mind like the Kennedy assassination, man landing on the moon, or 9/11. It might come in 4th...

Reaction Score
I was in 3rd grade.... watching MNF. I had no idea who he was, but figured he must have been a person of some importance for them to mention it during a football game.
This is going to sound like a littler bit snarky, but a 3rd grader watching MNF? I don't think I watched an entire MNF game until I was 18... In 3rd grade, I am pretty sure there was no MNF. How'd you get up in the morning?

Reaction Score
Sophomore in college. Used to leave the dorm room (Sahuaro Hall at Arizona State, knocked down long ago) doors open. A couple of people walking by told me. It didn't hit me big time, but I clearly remember. Those were the days of big speakers and soon we were hearing Imagine and other Beattle songs throughout. Earlier that year, from the same dorm, I watched the US Olympic Hockey Team beat the Russians after we knew the results before the game started.

Reaction Score
I was 12; 8th grade?? I was getting into hard rock. KISS Van Halen Aerosmith etc. I don’t remember where i was. Probably hanging out in my neighborhood. The Beatles were old to me. Didn’t like them then; barely like them now. But still love classic Van Halen!!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
This is going to sound like a littler bit snarky, but a 3rd grader watching MNF? I don't think I watched an entire MNF game until I was 18... In 3rd grade, I am pretty sure there was no MNF. How'd you get up in the morning?
'but a 3rd grader watching MNF? '
ur kidding, right?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well I usually just watched the first quarter or the first half.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I was in 9th grade...and hadn't had the Double Fantasy album very long. "Just Like Starting Over" took on a whole new, and haunting, meaning whenever it was played after Lennon's murder.

Reaction Score
I was working at the City Desk in the newsroom of the New York Post when word came in that John Lennon had been shot outside the Dakota apartments where he lived with Yoko. Someone nearby, I don't remember who, was tasked with calling Rupert Murdoch to decide how to proceed. I remember Lennon's death was an enormous shock to the newsroom unlike John Wayne's recent prior death which was not unexpected, and for which we were prepared [i.e. a lengthy obituary]. In a nutshell, most of us in the newsroom were dumbstruck!

Reaction Score
I remember December 8,1980.
I was in a hotel in Pittsfield MA watching MNF when Howard Cosell announced Lennon's death during the Dolphins and Patriots game. I was born in Pittsfield but at the time I was working and living in MD and was on a business trip to the Berkshires.

File under completely, completely irrelevant but coincidentally interesting; I grew up in Queens, NY, live in Jersey, but do (did?) most of my work in southern Maryland where I have an office and an apartment (pre-Covid, now mostly from home with occasional trips south) but do a great deal of work with the General Dynamics sector in Pittsfield.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was in college. Made me stop and wonder. The biggest thing for me wasn't necessarily his death, but that a "fan" had committed the murder. Didn't make any sense to me. I think someone mentioned it, and not really believing it, I think we turned on the radio to hear. It was like, wow, that really happened.

I always, from when I was old enough, liked the Beatles. However, was never a big fan of Lennon though.

When I was young I watched MNF also. But I remember I could only watch through half time. I wanted to stay up til then so I could watch Cosell do the highlites.

Anyway, here's Elton's tribute.

Empty Garden (Hey, Hey, Johnny)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I was in my room and my old drummer called to tell me. I was shocked and disbelief. Didnt wanna believe it. Turned on the TV. The thought of the Beatles getting back together was gone, will never happen. The day the music died.

Reaction Score
Since I was a my junior year of college and it was the week before finals I was in full blown cramming mode. Honestly, the news was background noise for me.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
File under completely, completely irrelevant but coincidentally interesting; I grew up in Queens, NY, live in Jersey, but do (did?) most of my work in southern Maryland where I have an office and an apartment (pre-Covid, now mostly from home with occasional trips south) but do a great deal of work with the General Dynamics sector in Pittsfield.
My business in Pittsfield was with General Electric Ordinance System, the predecessor of General Dynamics.

Reaction Score
I was in my apartment on 87th and Lex, which is almost directly across the Park from the Dakoda, watching MNF.

Reaction Score
I was up in my bedroom at my parents' house in Tolland, CT. I was writing letters to friends of mine from our college year abroad in London, and we all missed each other. (And yes, Snail Mail - remember, this was way before the Internet!) My mom came upstairs to tell me about it; my dad had heard the announcement on MNF. My mom hugged me as I cried. Later, one of those same friends of mine from the London year abroad program called me to commiserate. We were in shock and disbelief. To this day, I tear up if I hear "Happy Xmas" or anything from "Double Fantasy."

Reaction Score
I was a student at UConn, and was watching Monday Night Football at the Student Union when Howard Cosell made his announcement. I immediately went back to my dorm. A huge John Lennon fan lived on my floor a couple of rooms away from mine, so I wanted to be with him at that moment. It was definitely a memorable night.

Reaction Score
No, I don't remember that at all. I must have been working for my country. But I do remember Lincoln's assassination. Also, John F. Kennedy. Nope, that just was not important for me at the time. The death of Elvis affected me more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom