Another Dan Hurley thread | The Boneyard

Another Dan Hurley thread

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Credit to @UConnStats for the info provided in one of the other threads.

At this point in the season, Hurley has URI ranked 24th in the country, while being 10th in RPI.

Now, I'd like to start by saying I had been skeptical about this potential hire. But now there really isn't much downside.

He started his D1 head coaching career at Wagner, where in their second year, they achieved a 25 win season, up 12 wins from his first season.

From there, he took his job at URI. After a rough couple of seasons(22-39 overall), they won 23 games(13-5 in conference), and finished that season in the second round of the NIT. Two years later, his team is winning 25 games, and making it to the second round of the NCAA tournament. Finally this season, we're seeing URI's success last year, was not a fluke.

The point being, this man has now "built up" two north east programs from nothing.

His highest rated recruit was a kid KO failed to land way back in 2014, Jared Terell(composite 64 overall). Almost every other player is a 3 star, and yet he's turned them into winners. His 2018 class also has them bringing in a 4 star power-forward. Along with top 100 recruit EC Mathews in 2013, I believe he's shown the potential to consistently recruit top 100 players, considering the substantial difference in resources, history, etc. Not to mention any recruiting connections he might get from his father, and the fact his brother is revitalizing Arizona St, who now has two top 50 players in the 2018 class.

I know the responses are going to read something to the effect of, "where is the money coming from for KO's buyout?" And TBH, I don't have the answer to that question. What I'd be willing to bet is, DB is probably working hard to fund KO's buyout as I type this, because if I'm aware of how great a fit Hurely would be for this program, he absolutely is.

TLDR: Hurley can coach, and should be doing it here next year.

Reaction Score
Credit to @UConnStats for the info provided in one of the other threads.

At this point in the season, Hurley has URI ranked 24th in the country, while being 10th in RPI.

Now, I'd like to start by saying I had been skeptical about this potential hire. But now there really isn't much downside.

He started his D1 head coaching career at Wagner, where in their second year, they achieved a 25 win season, up 12 wins from his first season.

From there, he took his job at URI. After a rough couple of seasons(22-39 overall), they won 23 games(13-5 in conference), and finished that season in the second round of the NIT. Two years later, his team is winning 25 games, and making it to the second round of the NCAA tournament. Finally this season, we're seeing URI's success last year, was not a fluke.

The point being, this man has now "built up" two north east programs from nothing.

His highest rated recruit was a kid KO failed to land way back in 2014, Jared Terell(composite 64 overall). Almost every other player is a 3 star, and yet he's turned them into winners. His 2018 class also has them bringing in a 4 star power-forward. Along with top 100 recruit EC Mathews in 2013, I believe he's shown the potential to consistently recruit top 100 players, considering the substantial difference in resources, history, etc. Not to mention any recruiting connections he might get from his father, and the fact his brother is revitalizing Arizona St, who now has two top 50 players in the 2018 class.

I know the responses are going to read something to the effect of, "where is the money coming from for KO's buyout?" And TBH, I don't have the answer to that question. What I'd be willing to bet is, DB is probably working hard to fund KO's buyout as I type this, because if I'm aware of how great a fit Hurely would be for this program, he absolutely is.

TLDR: Hurley can coach, and should be doing it here next year.
There is mutual interest.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is mutual interest.

A. Like you know.

B. Like any coach making less than a million dollars would tell a school that pays their coach 3 million they aren’t intersted.

Here is the list of schools that Dan Hurley has interest in at the end of this season:

Every P5, Big East and AAC school.

The guy is going to sign a contract for life changing money - he isn’t going to leave
out any bidders.

Reaction Score
A. Like you know.

B. Like any coach making less than a million dollars would tell a school that pays their coach 3 million they aren’t intersted.

Here is the list of schools that Dan Hurley has interest in at the end of this season:

The guy is going to sign a contract for life changing money - he isn’t going to leave
out any bidders.
He wants the UConn job, been that way for a long time.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
A. Like you know.

out any bidders.
Might wanna stay in the north east. Plus programs outside the north east might not be as interested. You never know.

Reaction Score
When do we start talking about Donyell Marshall? I honestly don't know much about him as a coach except that he seems to be doing well. He is "family" which is appealing. Thoughts/criticism?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
When do we start talking about Donyell Marshall? I honestly don't know much about him as a coach except that he seems to be doing well. He is "family" which is appealing. Thoughts/criticism?

What’s his track record as a HC?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why don't you think he's interested?

I imagine he is interested. I also imagine that other schools have interest and he will as well.

It’s not like he is some hidden under the radar secret.

He’s killing it at Rhode Island and he’s from one of the ten most famous families in the sport.

Reaction Score
If Hurley does in fact have interest, it is probably because he has watched us win big with New York/DC/Baltimore/New England talent. The Hurley family brings major cache with them recruiting the East. Hopefully, he thinks he can recruit big here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Believe what you want, the buyout is the only real hurdle but unfortunately it's a big one.

You solved that. Not a dime back is now all the dimes back.

Is there a reason why Hurley has no interest in other jobs and why other schools have no interest in him?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I imagine he is interested. I also imagine that other schools have interest and he will as well.

It’s not like he is some hidden under the radar secret.

He’s killing it at Rhode Island and he’s from one of the ten most famous families in the sport.

The top available coach in his conference went to Indiana last year. To think we are Hurley’s upper limit is ludicrous.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The top available coach in his conference went to Indiana last year. To think we are Hurley’s upper limit is ludicrous.

I’m sure someone will soon propose that Hurley will be here, Donyell will rejoin him - then Hurley will groom Donyell to replace him when he leaves.

Reaction Score
You solved that. Not a dime back is now all the dimes back.

Is there a reason why Hurley has no interest in other jobs and why other schools have no interest in him?
I'm just telling you what I've heard for a while now. Some other posters have hit me up more recently saying they've heard the same from several different contacts from several different places.

Again, believe what you want.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Good initially...not everything has to start and end the same way.

Was that because of the lack of a HC track record, or in spite of?

In my opinion, one of the many factors leading to Ollie’s struggles has been his lack of successful HC experience.

UConn can’t be on-the-job training for anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom