Another Covid casualty in the ACC tourney | The Boneyard

Another Covid casualty in the ACC tourney

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Man this kind of stinks if legit teams start dropping out. It's going to create an asterisk for whatever team wins it all this year if too many do. Losing Duke was whatever, they were questionably a bubble team, but UVA is top 25. They could make a run. It's going to start a whole "what if?" train of thought.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think you're about to see a lot more of these.

You gotta have 7 DAYS of CLEAN tests before they let you into the NCAA bubble in Indy. Do the math.

Why wouldn't Alabama or Houston pull out of their conference tournaments right now?

Reaction Score
If you've watched UVA at all this year, they are not a good team. They were getting bounced in the first round anyways

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is not good. Not just for UVA but how these positive tests could screw up the big tourney yet again.
exactly. You hit the nail on the head Bugsy. When everyone was cheering the forfeiture of Duke, I wasn't. I was worried about the Big Dance. Duke's resume isn't good enough for the NCAA tourney, but if they were on the bubble I think positive COVID tests have to be a resume point to detract as much as I hate it.

What happens with Virginia? Their resume is clearly good enough for the NCAA tourney, but should they go? I don't have the answers to this question(s). But I am concerned if they are allowed to go.

Reaction Score
If you've watched UVA at all this year, they are not a good team. They we're getting bounced in the first round anyways
Yeah, UVA isn't that great I agree. But the bigger question is if you let them in the NCAA tournament, are they going to infect another team? I admit I am not well versed on COVID protocols and such so maybe someone has an answer.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
An aquaintance who is a big UVA guy is concerned about the contact tracing doing them in.

What an absolutely insane 4 years for those seniors.

Reaction Score
Yeah, UVA isn't that great I agree. But the bigger question is if you let them in the NCAA tournament, are they going to infect another team? I admit I am not well versed on COVID protocols and such so maybe someone has an answer.

I think CDC recommends a 10-day quarantine from the time you're infected. Let's say the positive test came a day or two after exposure they might not be able to play in the tournament. However, if only one or two players or coaches are positive and the other players have four or five days of consistent negative tests they should be able play.

Reaction Score
An aquaintance who is a big UVA guy is concerned about the contact tracing doing them in.

What an absolutely insane 4 years for those seniors.
NCAA position is players who test negative for 7 straight days can play. Contact tracing doesnt matter

Reaction Score
I think CDC recommends a 10-day quarantine from the time you're infected. Let's say the positive test came a day or two after exposure they might not be able to play in the tournament. However, if only one or two players or coaches are positive and the other players have four or five days of consistent negative tests they should be able play.
"All Tier 1 travel party participants will be required to undergo and document seven consecutive negative COVID-19 tests prior to arrival into Indianapolis. The NCAA will work with IU Health to provide health related support including the administration of daily PCR tests for Tier 1 individuals upon arrival and throughout the tournament. Tier 1 participants include student-athletes, coaches, athletic trainers, physical therapists, medical staff, equipment staff and officials.

All Tier 1 participants will wear KINEXON contact tracing devices throughout the tournament, including practices and games. These devices, coupled with video analysis, provide data that allows total time measurement of those who are within 6 feet of a newly infected individual with COVID-19. The data will be utilized to assist with contact tracing and the need to quarantine participants. If close contact time with another individual who has tested positive for COVID-19 is less than 15 minutes over 24 hours, then quarantine may not be required.

COVID-19 testing and contact tracing will not be required for asymptomatic Tier 1 individuals who are at least two weeks post-infection and within 90 days of the first known date of infection, or participants who are at least two weeks post their second COVID-19 vaccine (or singular COVID-19 vaccine for FDA approved vaccines that require one dose only). These groups will still be required to wear masks and physically distance."

Reaction Score
You arent stopping the NCAA tournament you can delay it if you have to. Remember Pitino said May Madness. Were having the tournament this year period.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
All the more reason to win the Big East tournament. Just in case it's the only tournament.

Reaction Score
First games are 19th and 20th...little to no chance we travel to Indy.

Luckily the only 4yr senior on board is huff and he already got his NC...Bennett is a good dude and wouldn't risk it and put others at risk I imagine

Reaction Score
Lets not get all doom and gloom now over a positive test, you gotta expect this to happen it doesn't mean you shut it down this isnt March of last year.

Reaction Score
Weird seeing positives now with cases down so much around the country.

Reaction Score
First games are 19th and 20th...little to no chance we travel to Indy.

Luckily the only 4yr senior on board is huff and he already got his NC...Bennett is a good dude and wouldn't risk it and put others at risk I imagine
As long as others don't test positive, they can be exposed within 7 days and go as long as they continue testing negative. So you might be down a player or two, but the rest of the team can go.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing is going to be how they replace teams like uva (assuming they don't travel). "Worthy bubble teams" will fill the gaps and potentially get higher seeds than if they were to have made it otherwise.

So uva could have popped cuse's bubble only to drop out and give them our 4-5(?) Seed...oof

Reaction Score
As long as others don't test positive, they can be exposed within 7 days and go as long as they continue testing negative. So you might be down a player or two, but the rest of the team can go.
We're only 7-8 deep so that'll hurt...if it's huff, hauser or clark we shouldn't even bother haha

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom