Another Calhoun Alumni Game in the Books | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another Calhoun Alumni Game in the Books

Reaction Score

I googled Walter Ray. He made $167 jumbo just from the NBA and earned every dime that he won't give back. I think the 10k party fee fell out of his pocket in bundles from the baccarat table.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“No one likes it,” Calhoun said. “It's unfortunate. It's life. We've got to go on. It's UConn family. It's UConn basketball. That's the key thing. Look at Alabama and Michigan in football. They keep going. “We keep going. We didn't ask for it or cause it, but our best thing is to continue to work on the family, keep the family together. Is it easy all the time in a little bit of stress like this? Of course not, because everybody has a little different opinion on how they see things. But that's not really our job, to tell people how they should look at the world. Our job is to say, this university, this basketball program, is a special thing and just keep going.”

Reaction Score
How many people attended? Capacity ~5300#. 1/2 full, 1/10th full? No one in second tier?

CL82

Reaction Score
Remarkable former player turnout. I wish I had gone.
This was the first one I've been to and I've sorry I've waited this long to go. It was terrific. The camaraderie across the different eras and between the men and the women is great. For those who have thought about but not made the time, I can't describe well enough just how much fun they are. Really had a blast.

FWIW I found Jacobs article fair, helpful even. By focusing on KO, he gave Calhoun and the players the opportunity to address the issue and characterize it as a momentary blip in the family history.

CL82

Reaction Score
How many people attended? Capacity ~5300#. 1/2 full, 1/10th full? No one in second tier?
Some but not many.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Did Ed ever take a 3 playing for Jimmy? LOL
All these years I've been claiming that UConn would have beaten George Mason if Calhoun had only played Adrien more, and Ed Nelson shows up to say, "See, if you'd have just let me shoot 3s, you'd have 4 rings."

Reaction Score
The game was always held on a Saturday night. It was changed to a Friday night for the 2014 game and thats been the case for the games in 2016 and now 2018. I think attendance has taken a little bit of a hit ever since.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
To see players who never played for Calhoun return for this shows that despite his coaching inadequacy, the players still got that sense in 'UConn family' from Ollie.

The reasonable criticism is raised that some posters continue to go out of their way to take gratuitous swipes against KO in posts where such comments are not germaine. Here, we have something coming from 'the other direction.'

If it were to have happened, the absence of players from post-Calhoun years would have been sadly indicative of a huge failure in necessary cultural transmission, and responsibility would lay at the feet of just about every imaginable party. But that is not what happened.

I'm doubtful that anyone here would imagine or accept anything less from KO than the promotion of "UConn family," but it's hard to see this as cause for a highlighted compliment.

We can strive to be fair-minded and balanced from many directions, and that includes not overreaching in implying causality or source. Doing so will reduce tensions that remain and allow for further healing.

Reaction Score
The reasonable criticism is raised that some posters continue to go out of their way to take gratuitous swipes against KO in posts where such comments are not germaine. Here, we have something coming from 'the other direction.'

If it were to have happened, the absence of players from post-Calhoun years would have been sadly indicative of a huge failure in necessary cultural transmission, and responsibility would lay at the feet of just about every imaginable party. But that is not what happened.

I'm doubtful that anyone here would imagine or accept anything less from KO than the promotion of "UConn family," but it's hard to see this as cause for a highlighted compliment.

We can strive to be fair-minded and balanced from many directions, and that includes not overreaching in implying causality or source. Doing so will reduce tensions that remain and allow for further healing.
Unfortunately there are many on this board thatvwill not give credit to Ollie for anything. Although I understood why, this was the forst Alumni game he was not there, that is a shame. They could have fired him in a less public shaming way. I hope he feels welcome sometime in the future, he deserves to remain part of the 'UConn Family'

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
From Jacobs' article: "Calhoun said he had a good talk with Ryan Boatright about playing in China and how he’s looking at a two-way deal with the Clippers."

Looking at? That would be huge.

Interesting opportunity, but huge money drop. China pays really well. And Boat is always going to face massive headwinds from NBA talent evaluators due to height. Even if he has the talent, moxie, and game to stick.

Reaction Score
My mistake. 5000 / 8000 ~ 2/3 filled, but not all showed? My take, from ticketmaster, was there were even more seats sold. Haven't been in ~ 6 years.

C

Chief00

So you were at Ray's after party?

Let’s just say it is a great weekend and leave it at that. Anything I would say would then lead to accusations of the silly name dropping narrative some love. So for the purpose of this forum I had a great time bussing the plates. LOL

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Let’s just say it is a great weekend and leave it at that. Anything I would say would then lead to accusations of the silly name dropping narrative some love. So for the purpose of this forum I had a great time bussing the plates. LOL
What’s the sentiment about the Ollie to Hurley transition with the alums?

Reaction Score
What’s the sentiment about the Ollie to Hurley transition with the alums?

It's a sour situation. The alums all love Ollie and want to see their brother treated fairly/ taken care of but they also want to see UConn basketball back on top. They are behind Hurley and want the best for the program. Ray is obviously torn on the whole thing as Ollie is a great friend to him

I think it was interesting Hurley was there for the game and after party but no Dave Benedict.

C

Chief00

It's a sour situation. The alums all love Ollie and want to see their brother treated fairly/ taken care of but they also want to see UConn basketball back on top. They are behind Hurley and want the best for the program. Ray is obviously torn on the whole thing as Ollie is a great friend to him

I think it was interesting Hurley was there for the game and after party but no Dave Benedict.

Yeah I did not see Dave but believe he said a couple weeks ago he was going on family vacation in August.

Reaction Score
One other thing I noticed during the game when they played the hype video Ollie was cut out/ removed.

Anyone else notice this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom