Annual Lacrosse rant 20013... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Annual Lacrosse rant 20013...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh, please. There will always be enough coaches, is that some kind of joke?

And this isn't football. With pads, it's a pretty safe sport.

Really? have you seen any studies? Orthopedists are on record for 5 years and counting now, advocating that ambulances be present at men's college lacrosse games, as the number of significant injuries warrant it, and most of them (concussions being the most after basic leg muscle/ligament strains/sprains (unlike football) the worst injuries, happen quite frequently in games, and not practices. Sooner or later, the sport will have to address the issue, and when ambulances start parking on the tracks around football fields for lacrosse games, instead of just football fields - it's hard to argue against that image.

And anyway - since when does wearing pads, or a helmet for that matter, make a sport safe? The whole reason you wear that stuff - is becuase it's UNsafe. Where the heck do you get that idea?

http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/j...-8aed-d22ccf9089a0}/injuries-in-mens-lacrosse

As for coaches, I don't know what to say, yes, I'm serious. When you've got an explosion in youth sports like what's happened in lacrosse over less than a decade, you're goign to have a large, large number of parent volunteer coaches, from little kids up through high schools, that don't really know what they're doing, and that inevitably leads to a rebound effect.

Reaction Score
The large following is dying rapidly. And it can't happen soon enough.

That sport should have the good grace to stfu and end it's season in August, it just won't get out of the way.

Please, everybody, stop now! Zoo's dislike for baseball is boundless. The more you try to convince him, the more irrational he becomes. So, please!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Baseball being good or bad has nothing to do with lacrosse, so it's hard to see the connection....

Baseball could still lose 98% of it's popularity tomorrow and be more popular than lacrosse.

Reaction Score
Please, everybody, stop now! Zoo's dislike for baseball is boundless. The more you try to convince him, the more irrational he becomes. So, please!

To each their own. Some people like watching baseball. Others like watching grown men in tights ride bikes with elephant blood running through their veins.

Me, I don't like either.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Are you saying it isn't?

Baseball isn't boring.

To you it may be boring, but considering its most likely the 3rd most popular sport in the world behind soccer and basketball, your opinion would in an incredibly small minority

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Given that UConn is upgrading (correctly, in my view) to big-time hockey and that there are some ambitious plans on paper for baseball and soccer, I don't see UConn doing anything with men's lacrosse for the time being.

It's still very much a niche sport and there's even some consternation about the declining attendance at the NCAA final four - holding off for now is probably the right call.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
s
Given that UConn is upgrading (correctly, in my view) to big-time hockey and that there are some ambitious plans on paper for baseball and soccer, I don't see UConn doing anything with men's lacrosse for the time being.

It's still very much a niche sport and there's even some consternation about the declining attendance at the NCAA final four - holding off for now is probably the right call.

I get this side of the argument. But uconn has a club team already so the upgrade is not a startup. I get that not 1 of those players is worthy but I'm saying the field times and goals are on campus. What makes a crappy lax program playing in a open field worse than the fact that we play swimming or tennis. Where is the value in those? Postseason tv? Rich families now involved in the school? Extremely easy recruiting pipelines? Extremely easy way to become competitive ie 60ish teams play? I am a baseball guy, but I see a clear move to be made. There is no reason we shouldn't hire a d3 coach next week and play lax next year on a random field in storrs. Drop tennis or something. That alone is a win in the ad overall let alone if you actually go for it and give a hoot with a coach and stuff. I mean couldn't u potentially play on the soccer field in the spring?thats a very nice field and bleacher set up. The practice facility makes it easy to practice and recruit right? Lax is a home run waiting to happen. What has tennis ever done or swimming for uconn brand to tv wise? He'll let's get wild. Pay the fairfield coach enough that he jumps. Then tell every single kid to transfer with him. Land 10 of them. Let him use all of his recruiting pipelines and our brand and facilities sell itself. Top 25 in 3 years so help me....now we have officially pissed bc, Cuse, and duke off more. I'm in heaven.

Reaction Score
s

I get this side of the argument. But uconn has a club team already so the upgrade is not a startup. I get that not 1 of those players is worthy but I'm saying the field times and goals are on campus. What makes a crappy lax program playing in a open field worse than the fact that we play swimming or tennis. Where is the value in those? Postseason tv? Rich families now involved in the school? Extremely easy recruiting pipelines? Extremely easy way to become competitive ie 60ish teams play? I am a baseball guy, but I see a clear move to be made. There is no reason we shouldn't hire a d3 coach next week and play lax next year on a random field in storrs. Drop tennis or something. That alone is a win in the ad overall let alone if you actually go for it and give a hoot with a coach and stuff. I mean couldn't u potentially play on the soccer field in the spring?thats a very nice field and bleacher set up. The practice facility makes it easy to practice and recruit right? Lax is a home run waiting to happen. What has tennis ever done or swimming for uconn brand to tv wise? He'll let's get wild. Pay the fairfield coach enough that he jumps. Then tell every single kid to transfer with him. Land 10 of them. Let him use all of his recruiting pipelines and our brand and facilities sell itself. Top 25 in 3 years so help me....now we have officially pissed bc, Cuse, and duke off more. I'm in heaven.

That sounds realistic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Couple of things:

A. UConn should not spend any resources of any kind on anything other than football and basketball

B. Duke was an ally in UConn's quest for a legitimate conference. Not that they would give a damn about another lacrosse team anyway. The day Duke can't recruit a lacrosse team will be when New Jersey has sunk into the ocean.

Reaction Score
Couple of things:

A. UConn should not spend any resources of any kind on anything other than football and basketball

B. Duke was an ally in UConn's quest for a legitimate conference. Not that they would give a damn about another lacrosse team anyway. The day Duke can't recruit a lacrosse team will be when New Jersey has sunk into the ocean.

If only, right?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Right or wrong, lacrosse is a sport that does come with a stereotype, and it is the stereotype of the rich, elite, prep school kids. You don't find a lot of public school systems, and/or city youth athletic leagues for lacrosse, adn the sport is pretty much non-existent at points father west, than say - Washington D.C.

I'm pretty sure what Dan is trying to say - in much better literary fashion than in the past BTW - must have been away, practicing writing......like it :) .....but what I think he's trying to say, is that by investing in men's lacrosse, and developing a top 25 program, would benefit the school, by creating that stereotype for UCONN in the general population of the east coast and north east in general. If that's the message, it's actually a message I agree with. I can't imagine that a men's lacrosse program would involve a great deal of money to invest in, aside from paying a good coach. I have no idea how big a roster is, or how many scholarships it would take. But it's a sport that's played on open fields, and we've got plenty of them. Don't need to build any new facilities. The biggest cost would be the added scholarships, and whatever affect it would have on keeping women's sports balanced with men's.

This is part of it Carl. The northeast for years was dominated by private schools and still somewhat is. We're the big rising public who's trying to join big boy athletics while privates continue to die mostly athletics wise. The problem in ct is that a 4.o student can go to Boston schools, ny schools, ivys etc. in Iowa they go to Iowa or Neb etc. it's a different game. So lax can help us with student popularity for recruiting students who are good at school from wealthy towns. I'm not the guy to lay this out, but u know where I'm going with it. The problem is our leadership can't put these things together because they don't care.

I am not a lax fan don't. I think they wave sticks around and run hard. But I see opportunity and I hate watching it not be jumped on. No one here has told me why cross country, tennis or swimming are played by uconn. What talent pool are they bringing in? How many postseason are on ESPN for brand tv power? How many kids do we recruit for those sports from wealth areas in the tri state?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is part of it Carl. The northeast for years was dominated by private schools and still somewhat is. We're the big rising public who's trying to join big boy athletics while privates continue to die mostly athletics wise. The problem in ct is that a 4.o student can go to Boston schools, ny schools, ivys etc. in Iowa they go to Iowa or Neb etc. it's a different game. So lax can help us with student popularity for recruiting students who are good at school from wealthy towns. I'm not the guy to lay this out, but u know where I'm going with it. The problem is our leadership can't put these things together because they don't care.

I am not a lax fan don't. I think they wave sticks around and run hard. But I see opportunity and I hate watching it not be jumped on. No one here has told me why cross country, tennis or swimming are played by uconn. What talent pool are they bringing in? How many postseason are on ESPN for brand tv power? How many kids do we recruit for those sports from wealth areas in the tri state?

Dan - we compete in multiple varsity sports, including sports like tennis and swimming, because athletics is part of our mission as an educational institution, and we can afford to support those programs. We support many, and diverse division 1 level varsity sports, many intramural programs for our student body, because athletics is part of our mission as an educational institution. We don't bend over, and turn ourselves into whores, shackled to the bed, and being pimped for TV money that you have no control whatsoever about, because it is NOT a part of your mission as an educational institution. Through everythign that's happened in the past 2 years, I have not heard one whisper of any danger when it comes to UCONN, that say a school like Rutgers or Maryland had, when it came to funding their athletic department, and having a complimentary academic and athletic mission.

In fact, it's the one thing that has quietly kind of gnawed at me about the Big 10 and how Jim Delany has operated the league. Perhaps targeting schools like MAryland and Rutgers, that are in such very bad financial and economic states, was part of the plan - or perhaps it was just coincidence. No way for anybody but the decision makers to know.

I completely agree with the concept, regarding lacrosse, as I've laready stated, that upgrading lacrosse to a scholarship sport at UCONN, is a good idea, simply becuase it elevates the public perception of the athletic department in our area of the country in a small, but I think, significant enough way to warrant it, and I"ve already stated it. My only thing, is that it's a minor issue right now. Upgrading lacrosse, is something that can be achieved at any time, and the cost/benefit doesn't make sense now, we've got football to invest in, heavily right now, and at the same time, a new basketball facility under construction to complete. Upgrading lacrosse right now, does nothing to help that, and the cost of scholarships can significnatly take away right now.

As for the youth movement in lacrosse, I'm already on record saying that I think there is going to be a rebound effect. The popularity of the sport will dip in coming years, you watch. It will level out at a spot higher than it was 10 years ago, but it cannot sustain the growth it's had at the youth level over the past 10 years.

Big 10 men's lacrosse? I'd like UCONN to be a part of it, but I don't believe for a second, that upgrading our lax program right now to men's varsity is going to make that happen.

But then again, you look a school like Maryland and Rutgers (Maryland cutting what 7 varsity sports in 2011 including swimming and track? and getting a Big 10 invite.

And somewhere, I have to wonder - what were they really thinking in the Big 10 and what is Jim Delany really trying to do? Bad logic though, to think that cutting sports, is going to help things in the future.

THe last thing we want to do though, is think that if UCONN decides to go fiscally berzerk to the point where we have to cut multiple varsity sports programs just to run a program, is going to do anythign positive for us in the future.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big 10 and Delany are clearly looking to make as much money as possible so they can compete with the SEC in football. They won't in the long run outside of a few schools but it's not like their motives are tough to figure out.

Reaction Score
I'm all for adding LAX, but would think this is not on WM's Top 10 to-do list. For those in favor - have you assessed Title IX implications?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm all for adding LAX, but would think this is not on WM's Top 10 to-do list. For those in favor - have you assessed Title IX implications?

Yes kill all the sports that don't have either profit, profit potential or brand value. Tennis, and swimming are those.

Reaction Score
Yes kill all the sports that don't have either profit, profit potential or brand value. Tennis, and swimming are those.

They certainly have value to those participating though.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
They certainly have value to those participating though.
That's nice. They can go play that sport elsewhere. Those sports don't make money. The championships aren't piling up. The post seasons are not on tv. They have no profit or brand value. They are a loss. Play sports that help uconn in some way. I don't see uconn with pro tennis players and swimmers on ESPN.

If we get a invite and make millions a year in tv? Fine play a couple extra sports and be happy. Right now is not the tip to spend $500 on a tennis net. That $500 should be for football.

Football, bball, soccer, puck, baseball, lax and track are good. Match that up with bball and softball girls wise then fill in from there title 9 wise. Lax, field hockey, puck I and soccer girls wise I imagine fill a good % of that. Then track and so on until it works out.

Playing sports for the sake of nothing is what morons do. So I imagine several here support having a tennis team vs a profit or brand potential team. Times are tuff and tight. Lets start acting like its a struggle and start making quality decisions to rise out of it and prosper. It's worked for several other schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If UConn is only playing sports they make money on it's just going to be two basketball teams.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How will lacrosse ever become the third most popular collegiate sport in the Northeast? Is it passing basketball, football or hockey?

If you like lacrosse super. If you support UConn adding lacrosse super. Can we stop pretending it has anything to do with criteria the Big 10 is going to use for new members.

Reaction Score
I never said or thought lacrosse is a must to become part of the B1G. I just came across these articles and remembered this thread.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I never said or thought lacrosse is a must to become part of the B1G. I just came across these articles and remembered this thread.

I was referring to Duffy and what he wrote.

Reaction Score
My view is add it fine, but not at the expense of an existing sport. It is even more of a niche sport than hockey at this point. Only draws fans to the Championship game. Regular season games draw crickets if they happen to be in the field...othwise not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom