Annual “Big 5” tournament but a New England version (an idea) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Annual “Big 5” tournament but a New England version (an idea)

Reaction Score
I
I was thinking about an idea for this the other day, as I really like the new format of Phillys “Big 5” title since they moved to 6 teams.

They split up the 6 schools into 2 pods and then play a triple header based on the records in the 2 pod games for first / third / fifth place.

The Yankee Cup would feature all 6 flagship state schools (UConn, UMass, URI, UNH, UVM and Maine) and follow the same pod format the Big 5 Classic uses with the championship taking place at TD Garden in early / mid December.

My idea for this would not be to replace the annual MTEs or other high profile OOC games UConn plays in, but rather replace 3 of the “cupcake” games we play every year (Stonehill, Manhattan, Arkansas Pine Bluff, etc.) but with a fun format that goes back to the historical roots of New England college basketball and old Yankee Conference founding members.

Just a little outside the box thought exercise on how to improve the non-con games we all hate… curious what others think.

I see what you did there. You required Flagship schools to keep Providence from winning each year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m in favor of replacing the Quad 4 dregs with Quad 2 dregs, but I have no interest in any kind of contrived New England big 5.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I’m in favor of replacing the Quad 4 dregs with Quad 2 dregs, but I have no interest in any kind of contrived New England big 5.
Aka, lay off the crack pipe McLovin

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24
Top Bottom