Annesah Morrow a Model for Alliyah? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Annesah Morrow a Model for Alliyah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You sir are full of it. All Morrow can do is shove people around under the basket with a sympathetic ref. She’s not a good shooter on the floor, though she does make her free throws, I’ll give her that. She always lags everyone else running down the floor. She’s about as quick as a glacier. She should have fouled out in many of the games this season. This is womens basketball, not rugby.
Your description of her play may be correct, but with it being allowed in every game and/or if she continues to get double doubles, she will continue to get the BE FOTW recognition. As she has gotten almost every week this year.
And in the DePaul St. John’s game, she missed every shot that was taken more than 3 feet from the rim and still got a double double.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but that’s just ludicrous! Morrow is the most dominant player in the entire conference! Caroline is a nice player and, I believe, a future All-American but right now, Morrow is simply out of her class!

You sir are full of it. All Morrow can do is shove people around under the basket with a sympathetic ref. She’s not a good shooter on the floor, though she does make her free throws, I’ll give her that. She always lags everyone else running down the floor. She’s about as quick as a glacier. She should have fouled out in many of the games this season. This is womens basketball, not rugby.

They're different types of players. I don't understand how you can make an apples to apples comparison between them. At the same time, there are several freshmen nationally who deserve to be in the conversation. I don't think anyone can crown Morrow or Ducharme as the NFOY just yet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1643653787052.png

:eek:This Article doesn't mention anything about Rugby!
Aneesah Morrow leads the nation in double-doubles, ranks second in total rebounds and has been named the Big East Freshman of the Week every week it has been awarded this season.

Reaction Score
View attachment 72862

Aneesah Morrow leads the nation in double-doubles, ranks second in total rebounds and has been named the Big East Freshman of the Week every week it has been awarded this season.
Since 12/19, the last game before Christmas, Ducharme is averaging 18.6 ppg, I rest my case.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Since 12/19, the last game before Christmas, Ducharme is averaging 18.6 ppg, I rest my case.
You really need to get out some more and educate yourself before resting your case otherwise you are going to get a law for malpractice Since 12/19 the MINIMUM amount of points that Murrow has scored in a game is 17. That stretch also includes a s 3 games where Murrow dropped over 30+. BTW. ones of those games was against UCONN. In her last game Murrow grabbed 27 rebounds. Caroline has 57 for the season. You are really getting left behind here. Some BY are pushing Murrow for national POY. I'm sure Caroline appreciates your love but even Caroline is laughing at you right about now.
Seriously?
1200x0.jpg

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
View attachment 72862

Whoa, this has been quite a thread to read through,

- As you know, ND played DePaul and I watched that game, as well as the UConn-DePaul game. Morrow had a double-double against ND as well (19 pts, 10 rebounds). She might've had more but Morrow ran into a paint player, Maya Dodson, who is also well-built, strong and releentless. Dodson also put Morrow on the defensive, scoring 28 points.

- Now, thinking of the Edwards-Morrow comparisons, just because one is a post player who scores primarily from the paint doesn't mean they have similarities everywhere in their games. Morrow is really only 6'1" positions well, has a motor and is dogged. Dodson looks like she could play tight end. Gifted athlete who defends and block well and rebounds. The pleasant surprise is how she's scoring this year; far eclipsing her stats at Stanford.

- If there's anyone that Ms. Edwards reminds me of from a physical standpoint, she's more Dodson than Morrow. While ND will take Dodson's offense against smaller teams, they look for her to clog the paint. The points will come on offensive rebounds and high-low game when it presents itself. Can see Edwards in a similar capacity.

- BTW, the ND-DePaul game was physical, but fast-paced. In fact, ND's resident fireplug, Abby Prohaska took a hard elbow to the face and was in concussion protocol for weeks. However, no blame was put on any player or attitude....it was a swinging elbow.
Stuff happens. BTW, Abby is back doing her thing and was in 20 minutes against BC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whoa, this has been quite a thread to read through,

As you know, ND played DePaul and I watched that game, as well as the UConn-DePaul game. Morrow
Are you saying your pick would be Morrow? This post comes across as you were going to say something after "Morrow" but it didn't come through.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Are you saying your pick would be Morrow? This post comes across as you were going to say something after "Morrow" but it didn't come through.

No, I just finished it.....I think Edwards and ND's Dodson have more in common with each other from a style of build and play.
Morrow's kind of a physical oddity...a 6'1" powerhouse who has the same effect on the inside as players like Danielle Adams, but Adams was even more of physical presence. Morrow is strong, but Dodson did a very good job on her, in part, because she's strong.

Reaction Score
No, I just finished it.....I think Edwards and ND's Dodson have more in common with each other from a style of build and play.
Morrow's kind of a physical oddity...a 6'1" powerhouse who has the same effect on the inside as players like Danielle Adams, but Adams was even more of physical presence. Morrow is strong, but Dodson did a very good job on her, in part, because she's strong.

Huh. Not sure how I saw that before you finished posting.

Reaction Score
You really need to get out some more and educate yourself before resting your case otherwise you are going to get a law for malpractice Since 12/19 the MINIMUM amount of points that Murrow has scored in a game is 17. That stretch also includes a s 3 games where Murrow dropped over 30+. BTW. ones of those games was against UCONN. In her last game Murrow grabbed 27 rebounds. Caroline has 57 for the season. You are really getting left behind here. Some BY are pushing Murrow for national POY. I'm sure Caroline appreciates your love but even Caroline is laughing at you right about now.
Seriously?
1200x0.jpg
I think you need to chill out a little and stop attacking a poster for their opinion because they point out the negatives to a players game from another school that a depleted UConn squad beat the other night. This is the Boneyard not some other schools board so EXCUSE ME for being a little biased. You have a hell of a nerve attacking me on UConn’s board. As for Ducharme only having 57 rebounds, she has not been a starter all season, as a matter of fact for all intents and purposes, minutes wise, she has played only half a season so far. The first inkling of Ducharme being a great talent was in the game on Dec 9th when she came off the bench and had 14 points in 14 minutes. As for Morrow, she’s a terrific player, averaging I would bet one assist pg. Has she fouled out of any games yet? Just wondering.

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I think you need to chill out a little and stop attacking a poster for their opinion because they point out the negatives to a players game from another school that a depleted UConn squad beat the other night. This is the Boneyard not some other schools board so EXCUSE ME for being a little biased. You have a hell of a nerve attacking me on UConn’s board. As for Ducharme only having 57 rebounds, she has not been a starter all season, as a matter of fact for all intents and purposes, minutes wise, she has played only half a season so far. The first inkling of Ducharme being a great talent was in the game on Dec 9th when she came off the bench and had 14 points in 14 minutes. As for Morrow, she’s a terrific player for a ball hog, averaging I would bet one assist pg. It’s all about her and that bothers me. Has she fouled out of any games yet? Just wondering.

Morrow has 1.3 assists per game and has fouled out twice. I do suggest you learn how to find player stats if you want to use them to argue your point here.

Reaction Score
Morrow has 1.3 assists per game and has fouled out twice. I do suggest you learn how to find player stats if you want to use them to argue your point here.
I just guessed from watching her play, one assist per game and as it turns out I was pretty close. I wasn’t aware fouling out was a “stat”, so thanks for the info. Now I’m going to go run up some stairs.:(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you need to chill out a little and stop attacking a poster for their opinion because they point out the negatives to a players game from another school that a depleted UConn squad beat the other night. This is the Boneyard not some other schools board so EXCUSE ME for being a little biased. You have a hell of a nerve attacking me on UConn’s board. As for Ducharme only having 57 rebounds, she has not been a starter all season, as a matter of fact for all intents and purposes, minutes wise, she has played only half a season so far. The first inkling of Ducharme being a great talent was in the game on Dec 9th when she came off the bench and had 14 points in 14 minutes. As for Morrow, she’s a terrific player for a ball hog, averaging I would bet one assist pg. It’s all about her and that bothers me. Has she fouled out of any games yet? Just wondering.
:eek:I think you need to stop telling me what to do. BTW Morrow has 30 assist on the season- that's 10 more than Caroline.:D
Why so bothered by her great accomplishments? I didn't start this thread.

Reaction Score
:eek:I think you need to stop telling me what to do. BTW Morrow has 30 assist on the season- that's 10 more than Caroline.:D
Why so bothered by her great accomplishments? I didn't start this thread.
Caroline has averaged 2 assists pg since her minutes went way up in early December, but if you insist on big numbers let’s not forget Morrow’s 58 TO’s so far this season. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Caroline has averaged 2 assists pg since her minutes went way up in early December, but if you insist on big numbers let’s not forget Morrow’s 58 TO’s so far this season. ;)
:eek:Look at you! You do know how to look some stats instead of guessing. Congratulations!
I just guessed from watching her play

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
View attachment 72862

A thought just came to me. It could be worse. Morrow could play for South Carolina. What a nightmare THAT would be. As it is we may have to see her twice a year for 3 more years. It was reported that she has bad knees, and has had them for some time, and is simply playing through the pain. Her knees may not last 3 more years. I hope they do.

I'd like to see what she can do at the next level. She had 27 rebounds against Seton Hall Sunday. That is unconscionable. :eek: Especially for a player only 6'1". Along with 22 points in only 32 minutes. That's one heck of a double double. [Box Score] Dorka Juhasz had a team high 10 rebounds for us in our game against the Hall.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Look at the cover photo of this article and see how Morrow has achieved her success. She is extremely aggressive. I, for one, would call more fouls on her if I were ref. There is no place in the game for kids to get hurt from this approach. Aneesah Morrow is taking over the Big East - one rebound at a time - The DePaulia
That's fair. While watching our game, I saw several "potential" offensive and defensive (pushing/shoving and moving players off their already established spot) fouls that should have been called on Morrow that weren't. She's already fouled out of two games this season. You know the opposing coaches are complaining to the refs about her aggressive play.

DSC_0029-900x600.jpg

This is the face of determination. The face of a player that won't be denied. You can believe ALL of the teams DePaul has already played know who she is. If I'm a coach, THIS is the kind of player that I want on my team. If she stays healthy and can finish the season, I find it hard to see her not being selected BE freshman of the year and player of the year. Her game by game box score numbers would demand it. Some refs would call that elbow an offensive foul. She's only freshman, think how much more aggressive she'll be next year. :eek: One thing is for sure, her 30 points and 14 rebounds proves UConn has no one to stop her.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
All Morrow can do is shove people around under the basket with a sympathetic ref. She’s not a good shooter on the floor, though she does make her free throws, I’ll give her that. She always lags everyone else running down the floor. She’s about as quick as a glacier. She should have fouled out in many of the games this se

Look at the cover photo of this article and see how Morrow has achieved her success. She is extremely aggressive. I, for one, would call more fouls on her if I were ref. There is no place in the game for kids to get hurt from this approach. Aneesah Morrow is taking over the Big East - one rebound at a time - The DePaulia

Conn78SEJ:
  • Morrow is shooting 54% from the field and 67% from the line. I'll take that 54% anytime, anyplace. For someone who has gotten to the line 125 times, I'd like to see that FT% get a little better.
  • She leads the Blue Demons with 62 steals and 44 blocks, which tells me there's a solid combination of quickness and hand/eye coordination. Per the blocks: remember, she's 6'1" so her timing and ability to "burst" are crucial.
  • While she has 57 fouls (tied for most in the team), she's fouled out twice, same as three other Blue Demons.
  • One of the games I've seen her play in -- the Notre Dame game -- was one of those DQ's. The way ND achieved it was by attacking the paint with Maya Dodson (I've written about this) and Maddy Westbeld. Plus, PG Olivia Miles constently drove into the lane. I would suspect that Paige would've done the same and tried to pick up some hand-reach fouls.

TeamFirst!:
  • Whether you play hoops like a beauty or a beast is sometimes is in the eye of the beholder, no? (see coach quotes below) That picture show an interior using her elbow to ward off a defender on what looks to be a baseline drive. I (still) play ball on regular basis with two top notch HS/AAU referees and three HS coaches. For bigs, no extension most often means no foul (unless done emphatically). Usually, the call comes when a guard extends the arm and pushes off a defender to create space. (we bigs "get it" ;) ) Thowing elbows is another story. She's not throwing an elbow there.
  • I have no doubt she uses everything in her 6'1" power to establish position, but I've also seen her beat defenders to the spot where she wants to create a seal. And then she holds it. Tough kid. Playing for Simeon Rice was probably good prep.

Don't care What I Say?
OK, let's hear from both coaches (Both quotes come from the story that accompanied said picture)
  • Doug Bruno, DePaul: “Aneesah gives us something that this team really needs — we need rebounding, we need interior strength, interior presence, post presence and we need rebounding,” Bruno said. “Aneesah did a great job [on Wednesday] against a really strong UConn team.
  • Geno A: “I don’t think that there’s another player in our league like that,” he said. “I don’t think that there’s another player in our league that plays like she plays.”

And the WBB powers that be are noticing, too:
  • Morrow is now among the nation's top 20 players selected to the John R. Wooden Award late-season watch list recognizing the top women's basketball players in the country.
  • Morrow is the only player from the BIG EAST Conference on the Wooden watch list and the only freshman.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
They're different types of players. I don't understand how you can make an apples to apples comparison between them. At the same time, there are several freshmen nationally who deserve to be in the conversation. I don't think anyone can crown Morrow or Ducharme as the NFOY just yet.

Bingo. And several of these players are fulfilling specific needs of team.
  • For DePaul and Coach Doug Bruno: “Aneesah (Morrow) gives us something that this team really needs — we need rebounding, we need interior strength, interior presence, post presence and we need rebounding.”
  • Caroline Ducharme, who was barely playing, was popped onto the court, into the lineup and thrust into the spotlight to fill a scoring need. And thus far, she has done so wonderfully. That role may change as Azzi Fudd plays more and probably will once Paige B. gets back, but so far, so very good.
  • Olivia Miles gives Coach Ivey a strong playmaker (which Coach Ivey, of course, was herself) and Sonia Citron probably plays down her own individual scoring to give the team a jack of all trades par excellance.
And so on.....

While none of these four are at the exalted level that Paige B. and Caitlin Clark were last year, they're all having superb years for themselves and (for those of us who like collective results) their teams.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Conn78SEJ:
  • Morrow is shooting 54% from the field and 67% from the line. I'll take that 54% anytime, anyplace. For someone who has gotten to the line 125 times, I'd like to see that FT% get a little better.
  • She leads the Blue Demons with 62 steals and 44 blocks, which tells me there's a solid combination of quickness and hand/eye coordination. Per the blocks: remember, she's 6'1" so her timing and ability to "burst" are crucial.
  • While she has 57 fouls (tied for most in the team), she's fouled out twice, same as three other Blue Demons.
  • One of the games I've seen her play in -- the Notre Dame game -- was one of those DQ's. The way ND achieved it was by attacking the paint with Maya Dodson (I've written about this) and Maddy Westbeld. Plus, PG Olivia Miles constently drove into the lane. I would suspect that Paige would've done the same and tried to pick up some hand-reach fouls.

TeamFirst!:
  • Whether you play hoops like a beauty or a beast is sometimes is in the eye of the beholder, no? (see coach quotes below) That picture show an interior using her elbow to ward off a defender on what looks to be a baseline drive. I (still) play ball on regular basis with two top notch HS/AAU referees and three HS coaches. For bigs, no extension most often means no foul (unless done emphatically). Usually, the call comes when a guard extends the arm and pushes off a defender to create space. (we bigs "get it" ;) ) Thowing elbows is another story. She's not throwing an elbow there.
  • I have no doubt she uses everything in her 6'1" power to establish position, but I've also seen her beat defenders to the spot where she wants to create a seal. And then she holds it. Tough kid. Playing for Simeon Rice was probably good prep.

Don't care What I Say?
OK, let's hear from both coaches (Both quotes come from the story that accompanied said picture)
  • Doug Bruno, DePaul: “Aneesah gives us something that this team really needs — we need rebounding, we need interior strength, interior presence, post presence and we need rebounding,” Bruno said. “Aneesah did a great job [on Wednesday] against a really strong UConn team.
  • Geno A: “I don’t think that there’s another player in our league like that,” he said. “I don’t think that there’s another player in our league that plays like she plays.”

And the WBB powers that be are noticing, too:
  • Morrow is now among the nation's top 20 players selected to the John R. Wooden Award late-season watch list recognizing the top women's basketball players in the country.
  • Morrow is the only player from the BIG EAST Conference on the Wooden watch list and the only freshman.

I agree with your take on the elbow. I qualified my take by saying “some” refs. You’re correct noting how she uses the elbow determines whether a foul is called or not. This is a bang-bang play that happens quickly and you have to call it real time. You also have to be in position to make the call.

In a case like this picture, you do what is necessary. Brace the defender if you can, push off if you have to and let the ref call it. This is an example of muscle memory at its best. On a drive like this, the arm goes out instinctively without thinking about it and you go from there. I’ve been on both sides of these types of plays. Sometimes it’s hard not to lean into the opponent as they go by to reduce the space between you and the baseline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Their teams are also very different. I mean would Morrow be averaging her high ppg and rpg if she had Paige Bueckers, Crystin Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Dorka Juhasz, Azzi Fudd, Aliyah Edwards, and Evina Westbrook on her team?????? Ducharme is a freshman and a terrific talent among a bench loaded with veteran great players and anyone who doesn’t see it is blind or terribly biased against her. Maybe you can understand my apples to apples comparison now??? If the freshman Ducharme can score 28 points in one game amongst these players, I’d say that’s incredible. Granted, Paige has been hurt for eight weeks, but still.

Reaction Score
Their teams are also very different. I mean would Morrow be averaging her high ppg and rpg if she had Paige Bueckers, Crystin Williams, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Dorka Juhasz, Azzi Fudd, Aliyah Edwards, and Evina Westbrook on her team?????? Ducharme is a freshman and a terrific talent among a bench loaded with veteran great players and anyone who doesn’t see it is blind or terribly biased against her. Maybe you can understand my apples to apples comparison now??? If the freshman Ducharme can score 28 points in one game amongst these players, I’d say that’s incredible. Granted, Paige has been hurt for eight weeks, but still.

I get that you're a fan of Ducharme, but why is it so important that she has to be considered better than Morrow?

Who knows what Morrow would do had she been part of UConn? Who knows how Ducharme would do had she been at DePaul? It's not like Morrow is playing on a team with a bunch of chumps either. We'll never bloody well know.

They're still different types of players in their style. Where I believe they're equal is that their potential can be amazing based on the small sampling we've seen.

And we're all fans of Ducharme on this thread. Just because we can't agree with you on your premise doesn't make us biased. You're getting this feedback from UConn and General WBB fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom