Anna | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anna

Reaction Score
Yes it is possible that big slower teams can't defend a team that had a mix of Evina, Paige, Anna, CW, ONO, Aubrey. and Edwards. It is also possible that a bigger team can beat the zone underneath because the vulnerability is usually there by a "high-low" or "overload" and the problem with the zone is that it is more difficult to box out because you are usually not straight up on defense on a man. One thing about the zone is that it is easier to fast break from and that will be fun to watch.

Just as Anna gets a lot of open shots from Evina and Paige, Evina gets even more open shots from Anna and Paige. I don't see a lot of zone for this team however except for a full court zone press or half court trap. Geno is a man to man coach. Even from a full court press his players go back to man to man when most coaches go into a zone. The aggressive defense turned us around as a team last year and this year we have more depth and more talent especially on defense with Edwards, Mir and an older Aubrey. Plus Jamelle is back to put fire into them. Paige's steal numbers were extraordinary and Nika was no slouch either and once we get a deflection or steal or long rebound or good outlet pass from a defensive rebound it is over.

Yes ofc with the zone. I'm with ya!! We can get beat/ pummeled absolutely. Just offering a defense if a team is too big. UCONN did play zone vs Baylor in Jan 2019 - so they can do it however. This team is not like some of UCONN's freak teams with Stewart, and with Maya, and Bird/DT/Cash and Lobo etc. They are a little flawed. It's possible they can get beat in any manner - zone or no zone. Though the opposition needs to have enough quality players to run an effective high-low or overload etc. There are very few quality COx's out there with Brown to dump the ball into.

As far as Evina vs Anna vs CWill-- I'm looking at shooting percentages. Anna is the most efficient. That means lets target her on the wing as much a possible to shoot 3's. After she gets the ball and if she is open lets have her look to shoot it if she is "enough" open rather than pass it unless it's for a layup. Like KML before her, like KLS, and like Walker -- lets look for Anna on fastbreaks and on halfcourt sets and off of steals etc to take a 3 just like we did with the others. Not have her pass the ball to someone else who is less efficient shooting. Her shot imo is tremendous. She shot 45.6% from 3 once she got rid of the early season jitters. That's outstanding. And Anna is 6'1. As a wing she can get off her shot.

I suspect that she still struggles to beat players off the dribble. Thus teams will be able to defend her but then that opens up the game for Evina, Paige and CWill.

What you’ve been saying along imo you’re right. Griff and Edwards. Griff is a freak. Her athleticism is so exciting. Heck, I’d be okay with her pulling down OREB’s like last year and rather than force a shot vs the trees throw it back out. What an athlete she is. This team just has no many possibilities.

Reaction Score
Yes ofc with the zone. I'm with ya!! We can get beat/ pummeled absolutely. Just offering a defense if a team is too big. UCONN did play zone vs Baylor in Jan 2019 - so they can do it however. This team is not like some of UCONN's freak teams with Stewart, and with Maya, and Bird/DT/Cash and Lobo etc. They are a little flawed. It's possible they can get beat in any manner - zone or no zone. Though the opposition needs to have enough quality players to run an effective high-low or overload etc. There are very few quality COx's out there with Brown to dump the ball into.

As far as Evina vs Anna vs CWill-- I'm looking at shooting percentages. Anna is the most efficient. That means lets target her on the wing as much a possible to shoot 3's. After she gets the ball and if she is open lets have her look to shoot it if she is "enough" open rather than pass it unless it's for a layup. Like KML before her, like KLS, and like Walker -- lets look for Anna on fastbreaks and on halfcourt sets and off of steals etc to take a 3 just like we did with the others. Not have her pass the ball to someone else who is less efficient shooting. Her shot imo is tremendous. She shot 45.6% from 3 once she got rid of the early season jitters. That's outstanding. And Anna is 6'1. As a wing she can get off her shot.

I suspect that she still struggles to beat players off the dribble. Thus teams will be able to defend her but then that opens up the game for Evina, Paige and CWill.

What you’ve been saying along imo you’re right. Griff and Edwards. Griff is a freak. Her athleticism is so exciting. Heck, I’d be okay with her pulling down OREB’s like last year and rather than force a shot vs the trees throw it back out. What an athlete she is. This team just has no many possibilities.
Since you like precise analyses, I will add this. I am all in for Anna shooting 3s on the break but the players who will be shooting more on the break in a combination of 3s, layups, drives and pull up Js are Evina and CW. They are upper classmen and are going to be getting the ball. Both also have sweet mid range jumpers but of the two, Evina is a more complete offensive player.

While Evina shot 42% from the field as a sophomore, she was only 38% from deep. But, she averaged about 4 free throws a game whereas Meg, our clear team leader last year in that category, averaged 3. It may not seem significant but it tells us that she was getting fouled more than anyone else and significantly more than her teammate Davis. She shot 72% from the line which means 3 ppg. She is going to get the same amount here you would think because of the running and passing and I see an easy 12 additional points from the field or 15 a game which she averaged at UT. What team will be able to cover her, CW, and Anna effectively from the guard positions to begin with and then contend with Paige?

We have seen summer videos and photos of Paige, Anna, CW and Evina but not Griff. We found out however from her father that she is working out with her brothers. If she gets a mini put back jumper, a strong one handed layup on both sides( she went up a lot with two hands with the ball in front of her face instead of to the protected side) and adds more strength we will be wondering why we even questioned who will play the PF position. Here's another prediction. Future Defensive POY for her. I mentioned that I was at the Seton Hall game last year. I haven't seen a freshman take over a game defensively like that in a long time.

Reaction Score
Stewie didn't bring the ball up on breaks, she didn't serve as a secondary playmaker( Geno's description of Anna) and she didn't have the ball in her hands for the express purpose of distributing all of which you can't do when you are playing defense as a PF under the boards because the break is 20 feet ahead of you. Magic Johnson was 6'9'' but his coaches put the ball in his hands as a PG, not a PF even though he was big enough. Why? His incredible talents for passing and running the break and the offense. I don't understand the compulsion to try to make Anna a PF because she got stronger and added muscle. She just is not as athletic as Aubrey, can't jump as high, showed no moves under the basket, is not a quality rebounder and can't defend as well and is not a PF pure and simple. Anna is a great passer, has court vision, can heat up like a microwave with 3s, and has guard talents and skills and may be an AA at some point if she stays in her position. Use her skills, they are pretty elite. If you start Evina, Anna, CW, Aubrey and Liv and bring in Paige and Edwards as 6th and 7th man and throw in little bit of Nika and Mir, we can beat anybody.

Makurat doesn't have to play pf. I'm not the one who believes a classic pf is needed to win a title. UConn has no power forward on the roster. UConn has 7 players between 5'11" & 6'1, and only 2 players 6'4+, one of which is very raw and unlikely to contribute initially. Those 7 players will be forced to defend bigger players & rebound at various times. UConn has done this before. Sure, there are a few pf's who can give UConn miss-match problems but very few, and the way everyone is getting stronger in the off-season it is clear to me that the coaching staff and players are aware of it and preparing.

I think some posters here have the position question backwards. They want the coach to have a pg, a sg, a wing/sf, a pf and a center. The fact of the matter is that most players don't fit as nicely into a position as some think. A team doesn't need a power forward, it does need strong players who can rebound, defend inside. He also needs ball handlers and scorers. And if a coach is lucky then some of his players can fill more than one role. I've always thought that given the available talent pool most years a coach is better off recruiting great talent and worrying about positions later. Now I'm not suggesting that a coach recruit 5 pg's, but that elite players can often play several positions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since if there is a season we will only likely play Big East foes.So what mismatches are there likely to be?

Reaction Score
Makurat doesn't have to play pf. I'm not the one who believes a classic pf is needed to win a title. UConn has no power forward on the roster. UConn has 7 players between 5'11" & 6'1, and only 2 players 6'4+, one of which is very raw and unlikely to contribute initially. Those 7 players will be forced to defend bigger players & rebound at various times. UConn has done this before. Sure, there are a few pf's who can give UConn miss-match problems but very few, and the way everyone is getting stronger in the off-season it is clear to me that the coaching staff and players are aware of it and preparing.

I think some posters here have the position question backwards. They want the coach to have a pg, a sg, a wing/sf, a pf and a center. The fact of the matter is that most players don't fit as nicely into a position as some think. A team doesn't need a power forward, it does need strong players who can rebound, defend inside. He also needs ball handlers and scorers. And if a coach is lucky then some of his players can fill more than one role. I've always thought that given the available talent pool most years a coach is better off recruiting great talent and worrying about positions later. Now I'm not suggesting that a coach recruit 5 pg's, but that elite players can often play several positions.
?? Aaliyah Edwards does not fit into either of your categories. She is neither between 5'11" and 6'1" not is she 6' 4"+ . I have zero interest in arguing about positions, and in fact prefer positionless basketball, but if power forward is a thing Aaliyah has the frame and game to be one. Putting that to the side, she at least deserves to be counted as a member of the team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Since if there is a season we will only likely play Big East foes.So what mismatches are there likely to be?
:eek: UCONN will be a mismatch for the rest of the conference-at least I hope so.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, we'll be very versatile, but unless Piath comes into practice like superwoman out of a phone booth, or Aubrey has a 3" growth spurt, I think maybe Liv falls into the category of being 'the key' to UConn's success. There's just no one else to go to at her spot. She has to be efficient on offense and impactful on the D, and she has to stay on the court. The only other size comes from the two freshmen. One is 6'3" Aaliyah, but she is far more of a wing/guard. Given her experience level, she might be the best hope to cover some Liv-less minutes (kinda like Aubrey did at times). Piath is likely a dice roll at this point. How much impactful work and coaching could she have gotten in COVID-world? I guess "going small" will be a way of life at UConn. I'm exited to see how it all works out, IF it (the season) works out at all. Fingers crossed.

Complete and utter nonsense!

Reaction Score
While Evina shot 42% from the field as a sophomore, she was only 38% from deep. But, she averaged about 4 free throws a game whereas Meg, our clear team leader last year in that category, averaged 3. It may not seem significant but it tells us that she was getting fouled more than anyone else and significantly more than her teammate Davis. She shot 72% from the line which means 3 ppg. She is going to get the same amount here you would think because of the running and passing and I see an easy 12 additional points from the field or 15 a game which she averaged at UT. What team will be able to cover her, CW, and Anna effectively from the guard positions to begin with and then contend with Paige?

We have seen summer videos and photos of Paige, Anna, CW and Evina but not Griff. We found out however from her father that she is working out with her brothers. If she gets a mini put back jumper, a strong one handed layup on both sides( she went up a lot with two hands with the ball in front of her face instead of to the protected side) and adds more strength we will be wondering why we even questioned who will play the PF position. Here's another prediction. Future Defensive POY for her. I mentioned that I was at the Seton Hall game last year. I haven't seen a freshman take over a game defensively like that in a long time.

I think Evina can score a lot in part because the defense MUST play very tight on Anna (one less player ot help out on defense when Evina drives). If I were the defense I would accept Evina would score more rather than risk having Anna take 3's. IMO Anna IS "KML and Katie Lou." Anna can't create like the others and her 3pt shot is extremely good. Her 45.6% is equivalent to 68.4% from 2. Evina, CWill and Paige won't have that kind of efficiency.

As for Griff - I hate to say this -- because I hate the guy I'm about to mention as a comparison but Griff has that "Dennis Rodman" defense and OREB similarity.

In regards to defense (I am bias I love offense) - and i think all of us are on the same page with this-- it would be absolutely fun to watch a freak pressing team go at it for 40 minutes regardless of the score (can't do it if it's a blowout early but fun to think.). Or a game watching them press in which they are getting beat pretty good early. However, just watch the press continually take it's toll on the opposing team. End result being where late in the game UCONN wins comfortably by just witnessing steal after steal or forced missed shots etc thereby running the opposing team out of the gym. :)

Reaction Score
?? Aaliyah Edwards does not fit into either of your categories. She is neither between 5'11" and 6'1" not is she 6' 4"+ . I have zero interest in arguing about positions, and in fact prefer positionless basketball, but if power forward is a thing Aaliyah has the frame and game to be one. Putting that to the side, she at least deserves to be counted as a member of the team.

Neither of us likes position labels and yet here we are. :)

Reaction Score
I think Evina can score a lot in part because the defense MUST play very tight on Anna (one less player ot help out on defense when Evina drives). If I were the defense I would accept Evina would score more rather than risk having Anna take 3's. IMO Anna IS "KML and Katie Lou." Anna can't create like the others and her 3pt shot is extremely good. Her 45.6% is equivalent to 68.4% from 2. Evina, CWill and Paige won't have that kind of efficiency.

As for Griff - I hate to say this -- because I hate the guy I'm about to mention as a comparison but Griff has that "Dennis Rodman" defense and OREB similarity.

In regards to defense (I am bias I love offense) - and i think all of us are on the same page with this-- it would be absolutely fun to watch a freak pressing team go at it for 40 minutes regardless of the score (can't do it if it's a blowout early but fun to think.). Or a game watching them press in which they are getting beat pretty good early. However, just watch the press continually take it's toll on the opposing team. End result being where late in the game UCONN wins comfortably by just witnessing steal after steal or forced missed shots etc thereby running the opposing team out of the gym. :)
I love establishing a relationship between 2 and 3 pt shooting percentage!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
A well-reasoned and thoughtful counterpoint. She's listed as a guard on the Huskies official roster and referred to in another article as a wing. Those may be well be incorrect... Do want to share knowledge or just be rude?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm a self-proclaim defensive bigot and you vision of UCONN pressing for (40 mins?) and creating steal after steal with this rosters is blurry at best. Keep in Mind that UCONN had consecutive DPOY in Moriah, Gabby, Kia and even those teams pressed sparingly. More importantly it was the offensive skill set of those three players that allowed them to remain on the court and become game changing defensive players. Moriah morphed into a deadly 3pt shooter and ended up being the all time UCONN assist leader. Gabby was able to facilitate the offense from the high post and was a very high FG % shooter. Like Moriah, Kia Nurse morphed into a deadly wing shooter and was among the nation's best at the same time she was playing NDPOY caliber defense. On the current team there is some good defensive potential and Aubrey has the most of it. Using Aubrey as an example her offensive efficiency, knowledge of the offense, and long range shooting would have to increase greatly for her to become a stater or reliable contributor in meaningful games. The more players like Aubrey you put on the floor the team's offensive efficiency will suffer. Dennis Rodman could afford to one dimensional, he never suited up without a HoF player ( some times multiple) or All-star player taking the floor with him. No player on this current UCONN roster will have the luxury of being one dimensional.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a self-proclaim defensive bigot and you vision of UCONN pressing for (40 mins?) and creating steal after steal with this rosters is blurry at best. Keep in Mind that UCONN had consecutive DPOY in Moriah, Gabby, Kia and even those teams pressed sparingly. More importantly it was the offensive skill set of those three players that allowed them to remain on the court and become game changing defensive players. Moriah morphed into a deadly 3pt shooter and ended up being the all time UCONN assist leader. Gabby was able to facilitate the offense from the high post and was a very high FG % shooter. Like Moriah, Kia Nurse morphed into a deadly wing shooter and was among the nation's best at the same time she was playing NDPOY caliber defense. On the current team there is some good defensive potential and Aubrey has the most of it. Using Aubrey as an example her offensive efficiency, knowledge of the offense, and long range shooting would have to increase greatly for her to become a stater or reliable contributor in meaningful games. The more players like Aubrey you put on the floor the team's offensive efficiency will suffer. Dennis Rodman could afford to one dimensional, he never suited up without a HoF player ( some times multiple) or All-star player taking the floor with him. No player on this current UCONN roster will have the luxury of being one dimensional.

That's not my post. Where did you get it? The post it leads to is totally different. I got enough trouble defending the posts I really post.

Here's what the link sends you to. This is what I posted:

Reaction Score
I agree about the defense. I don't see this UConn team pressing on a consistent level. About 7 of them will need to learn how to play UConn level half court defense before they're ready for that. BTW, the post you quoted came from @hoophuskee. I wonder how the name @Alydar got displayed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's not my post. Where did you get it? The post it leads to is totally different. I got enough trouble defending the posts I really post.
Here's what the link sends you to. This is what I posted:
:eek: My apologies this was not your original post I was responding to. It has been corrected. I'd also have to agree with you- you do have enough trouble defending the post you really post. :D

Reaction Score
A well-reasoned and thoughtful counterpoint. She's listed as a guard on the Huskies official roster and referred to in another article as a wing. Those may be well be incorrect... Do want to share knowledge or just be rude?

How do you define what is a true and effective PF vs what UCONN has had over the last 15+ years?
And why would you believe a website without knowing who loaded the information in?
We're supposed to ignore that she played on Canadian Nat'l Team as a SF but just because some unknown person loaded her in as a guard we're supposed to treat that as gospel?

Below in bold are all the players that were considered either a guard, sf, or we were concerned that they were too small or too soft to be a PF. Yet on our current team that has so many guards/ sf's without a PF we're supposed to believe the website instead?

Barb Turner- Was projected as a guard. Maybe a sf.
Charde- Was projected as a SF. Her best position was PF in her jr year.
Maya-- Was projected as a SF.
Stewart-- Was projected as a PF but early on was getting beat up enough and even into her soph and maybe even in her JR year there was talk on here to mover her to SF so she "wouldn't get beat up as much." You gotta love how sometimes this "unknown PF gets projected in some manner as if there is this monster 6'3 giant PF wider than the Mississippi that will crush any weakling set before her.
Tuck -- You can go back and read the posts in her 2nd full year leading up to Duke and South Carolina games how there was so much fear that she was too short to handle their bigs and Stewie wasn't strong enough to counter them either.
Walker -- Was projected as a guard. Maybe a sf.
---------
SO we see the following with Edwards and know enough of UCONN to make the following assumptions but we're supposed to bury our heads in the sand because some unknown possibly an intern didn't even watch her play and/or knows nothing of past history?

1-- That Edwards has the size.
1-- That Edwards has the build
1-- That Edwards has the athleticism
1-- That Edwards has shown in H/S she can play inside.
1-- That Edwards has shown vs much older players that she can play SF vs the older Nat'l players.
6-- That UCONN has an abundance of guards and small forwards but has very few with her size combined with her athleticism to play PF.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Aubrey will run the offense right this year. Can she hit a shot from 8 feet? Hit a layup consistently. A good 6th man not a starter yet, IMO.

psconn

Reaction Score
A well-reasoned and thoughtful counterpoint. [???]
She's listed as a guard on the Huskies official roster and referred to in another article as a wing. Those may be incorrect... rather than being obnoxiously dismissive and insulting, please use the forum to discuss and share your knowledge.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
:eek: My apologies this was not your original post I was responding to. It has been corrected. I'd also have to agree with you- you do have enough trouble defending the post you really post. :D
Now that is funny! :eek: That was a great example of what has come to be called a "nonpology". AKA , a left handed apology! My apologies to those of the "Gauche" persuasion. ;)

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
How do you define what is a true and effective PF vs what UCONN has had over the last 15+ years?
And why would you believe a website without knowing who loaded the information in?
We're supposed to ignore that she played on Canadian Nat'l Team as a SF but just because some unknown person loaded her in as a guard we're supposed to treat that as gospel?

Below in bold are all the players that were considered either a guard, sf, or we were concerned that they were too small or too soft to be a PF. Yet on our current team that has so many guards/ sf's without a PF we're supposed to believe the website instead?

Barb Turner- Was projected as a guard. Maybe a sf.
Charde- Was projected as a SF. Her best position was PF in her jr year.
Maya-- Was projected as a SF.
Stewart-- Was projected as a PF but early on was getting beat up enough and even into her soph and maybe even in her JR year there was talk on here to mover her to SF so she "wouldn't get beat up as much." You gotta love how sometimes this "unknown PF gets projected in some manner as if there is this monster 6'3 giant PF wider than the Mississippi that will crush any weakling set before her.
Tuck -- You can go back and read the posts in her 2nd full year leading up to Duke and South Carolina games how there was so much fear that she was too short to handle their bigs and Stewie wasn't strong enough to counter them either.
Walker -- Was projected as a guard. Maybe a sf.
---------
SO we see the following with Edwards and know enough of UCONN to make the following assumptions but we're supposed to bury our heads in the sand because some unknown possibly an intern didn't even watch her play and/or knows nothing of past history?

1-- That Edwards has the size.
1-- That Edwards has the build
1-- That Edwards has the athleticism
1-- That Edwards has shown in H/S she can play inside.
1-- That Edwards has shown vs much older players that she can play SF vs the older Nat'l players.
6-- That UCONN has an abundance of guards and small forwards but has very few with her size combined with her athleticism to play PF.

Not sure where the negative energy is coming from but I appreciate the info on Edwards. I'm not arguing with anyone here, I just responded to soxfan23 's antagonistic and information-free post. I can't wait to learn more about Aaliyah and the rest of the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure where the negative energy is coming from but I appreciate the info on Edward's. I'm not arguing with anyone here, I just responded to soxfan23 's antagonistic and information-free post. I can't wait to learn more about Aaliyah and the rest of the team.

It's just a simple disagreement. How often are there disagreements that don't have any negative energy?

You specifically made the following comment -- One is 6'3" Aaliyah, but she is far more of a wing/guard.

You specifically referred to her as a guard and with another post used the UCONN website as justification that she is. Unless I am misreading and you know she won't be a guard at UCONN?

psconn

Reaction Score
It's just a simple disagreement. How often are there disagreements that don't have any negative energy?

You specifically made the following comment -- One is 6'3" Aaliyah, but she is far more of a wing/guard.

You specifically referred to her as a guard and with another post used the UCONN website as justification that she is. Unless I am misreading and you know she won't be a guard at UCONN?

Wow.
-30-

Reaction Score
I don't think it is as important to assign a player to a position as it is to assign a role to the player and AE will definitely be an interior player who will be expected to rebound, defend and score underneath and in transition. She runs the floor well, has a strong pull up J, can finish with one hand on either side of the rim and can pass and defend as well. She has a much more developed offensive game than Aubrey had at the same time last year and she is bigger and stronger by comparing last year's Aubrey. However, Aubrey has that unique "nose for the ball" and defensive attack mode and is a proven junk player. She was a very young freshman last year. We should be seeing a "bump" in strength and muscle mass this year and a leap offensively. I don't think Aubrey was one dimensional at all last year. We've done this on other threads but if you extrapolate Aubrey's minutes out last year to those of a starter, she averages 13 ppg, 10 rpg and 3 steals a game. Geno likes glue players and floor players and she is definitely one of those. With Paige, Anna, Evina , CW and Liv, you will get the points you need so I don't see the pressure on the other interior player to have to light it up very night. On the other hand, if AE starts over Griff, and all that means, we have a real star in the making on our hands. Win-Win.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is as important to assign a player to a position as it is to assign a role to the player and AE will definitely be an interior player who will be expected to rebound, defend and score underneath and in transition. She runs the floor well, has a strong pull up J, can finish with one hand on either side of the rim and can pass and defend as well. She has a much more developed offensive game than Aubrey had at the same time last year and she is bigger and stronger by comparing last year's Aubrey. However, Aubrey has that unique "nose for the ball" and defensive attack mode and is a proven junk player. She was a very young freshman last year. We should be seeing a "bump" in strength and muscle mass this year and a leap offensively. I don't think Aubrey was one dimensional at all last year. We've done this on other threads but if you extrapolate Aubrey's minutes out last year to those of a starter, she averages 13 ppg, 10 rpg and 3 steals a game. Geno likes glue players and floor players and she is definitely one of those. With Paige, Anna, Evina , CW and Liv, you will get the points you need so I don't see the pressure on the other interior player to have to light it up very night. On the other hand, if AE starts over Griff, and all that means, we have a real star in the making on our hands. Win-Win.
I agree with you! Positions are only something to put down on paper! Myself, I LOVE to see a good post player come out and drain a 3. Aubrey? She is "unique"! She is a hyperactive Gabby. She's a hound chasing a car and not satisfied until she catches it! That's just how she goes after the ball. Can't wait to see her this year. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom