Anna | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anna

Reaction Score
I think she may very well be a legitimate power forward by the end of the season, once Geno/CD/Jamelle have spent five months with her.
I think she totally is a PF. She clearly played the 4 in high school. I think she played the 3 on the Canadian team due more to being young amongst adults and a good ball handler and 3 pt shooter. However, as she gets older and stronger after being in the weight room, she will be a complete PF when playing bball with adult women.

Reaction Score
One of my biggest fears is that if Anna is not allowed to return, she will go pro if her country allows basketball to be played.:(
If so I'm sure she will take her classes on line and graduate from Uconn on time.. :D

Reaction Score
I think people should consider Aaliyah a legitimate power forward right now. Body wise if someone knew nothing about her skill-set they would probably start with PF. The fact that she has a good handle and some perimeter skills means she could play SF, or at a stretch guard, but in terms of where she is most likely to play, given our team needs it is far and away PF, and backing up C is the next most likely.

We don't particularly need Aaliyah at SF unless there are injuries, just like we don't need Anna or Westbrook at PF unless something happens to Aaliyah or Aubrey.

Reaction Score
I disagree as to the power forward position for Anna. You lose her playmaking ability on the break or in transition when she is playing defense on the blocks( she can't get out on the breaks) and Geno remarked about her being a secondary creator when she was in the game after Crystal. Putting Paige aside for a moment, she is the best passer on the team right now. Why bury her under the boards? I didn't see a single back to the basket move by her this year, I didn't see her finish regularly and I don't see her defending the PFs from other teams without foul trouble. She can be a 2 or a 3 easily and you get her 3 point shooting and great court vision. Just because she muscles up doesn't mean she changes position. Meg did it last year because we had no choice. I see Edwards as a PF, not a SF, and she is the first sub underneath for either Aubrey or Liv.

Reaction Score
Maybe not THE key, but certainly a very important key. Honestly, I don't think you can point to a single player and say "they are the most important piece needed to win the NC". I think it's really going to be a true team effort.

I think this year, more than many in recent memory, will have multiple players be high scorers each game. Literally the entire starting 5 will be capable of putting up 20+ on any given night. It's going to come down to matchups vs. opponents, and who's hot at that time. How fun would it be to see all the starters average between 13-18 PPG?
By key I mean she generals the team on the floor, making it a team game. She is an almost totally unselfish player. Need assists? Ok. Need rebounds? Ok. Need buckets? Ok. Need someone to clean locker room? Ask a custodian. I don't mean she dominates. I quite agree that anyone can score 20 in any given game but I expect all starters to average double figures. Eventually, I see an Anna-Paige dishing combo that destroys defenses.

Reaction Score
I disagree as to the power forward position for Anna. You lose her playmaking ability on the break or in transition when she is playing defense on the blocks( she can't get out on the breaks) and Geno remarked about her being a secondary creator when she was in the game after Crystal. Putting Paige aside for a moment, she is the best passer on the team right now. Why bury her under the boards? I didn't see a single back to the basket move by her this year, I didn't see her finish regularly and I don't see her defending the PFs from other teams without foul trouble. She can be a 2 or a 3 easily and you get her 3 point shooting and great court vision. Just because she muscles up doesn't mean she changes position. Meg did it last year because we had no choice. I see Edwards as a PF, not a SF, and she is the first sub underneath for either Aubrey or Liv.

I don't think Anna is a PF either. But just because a player is a PF doesn't mean she must be a back-to-the-basket player in any halfcourt set. Walker didn't play like a PF. You play four player on the outside and you have Liv as the inside post.

And on this team she might be the 3rd best player to lead the break behind both Paige and Evina. If I were a gambling man - in order this how I think PF would go in terms of who starts. The better Griff and Edwards are - then no use giving Evina or Anna any pf minutes other than in blowouts just giving them some add'l playing time.

1-- Griff
2-- Edwards
3-- Evina
4-- Anna
5-- Mir

Reaction Score
I don't think Anna is a PF either. But just because a player is a PF doesn't mean she must be a back-to-the-basket player in any halfcourt set. Walker didn't play like a PF. You play four player on the outside and you have Liv as the inside post.

And on this team she might be the 3rd best player to lead the break behind both Paige and Evina. If I were a gambling man - in order this how I think PF would go in terms of who starts. The better Griff and Edwards are - then no use giving Evina or Anna any pf minutes other than in blowouts just giving them some add'l playing time.

1-- Griff
2-- Edwards
3-- Evina
4-- Anna
5-- Mir
My only point of distinction is that I think Anna will probably be more of a passer on the break than Evina because Evina will be the likely recipient of those passes by design because she is a true scorer. I would therefore rank Anna as the second best passer on the break pending Paige's performances but Anna may turn out to be just as great at times this year due to size and exoperience. I realize that this is heresy but when she got going last year Anna was better than Crystal in certain situations in delivering the ball on the break. Actually, I think her skills have been undervalued and her body change is very telling about her motivation.

I also didn't mean to suggest that a PF has to always have their back to the basket at all times ala Kevin McHale but moves on the block and below are necessary. Meg posted up or tried to at least a few times a game last year even though she was a guard posing as a PF.

As for moves under or near the basket my choice is Aubrey. She proved herself to be a fine garbage player last year and offensive rebounder who can jump and go to the hoop. I would also take Evina and Anna out of the equation for PF. Aubrey, then Edwards then Mir( who like Nika gets very little BY press) is a lot of depth and great defense underneath at PF. I also expect to see each of those three at different times at the top of the full court press like Geno had Aubrey this year. When I watched film of Mir, her defense knocked me out.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
1-- Griff
2-- Edwards
3-- Evina
4-- Anna
5-- Mir

So this is an honest question that needs a preface. I would think Griffin, Edwards and Mclean are best suited to play in the post. When a comment was made long ago about playing Westbrook at the four if she was starting with Makurat, Williams and Bueckers, I nominated Makurat instead. She appears to be at least two inches taller than Westbrook, maybe three; cited for her strength by Auriemma; and knows the fundamentals, including footwork and boxing out.

I do not think Makurat will be a PF, I do not want her to be a PF, but what is it about Westbrook that would make her a better candidate for the four out of Bueckers, Williams and Makurat? I have not watched Westbrook played but the reports I hear are all guard-oriented, nothing remotely connected with PF. So with serious curiosity I ask what am I missing that would put Westbrook above Makurat or even Williams as a PF candidate?

Reaction Score
My only point of distinction is that I think Anna will probably be more of a passer on the break than Evina because Evina will be the likely recipient of those passes by design because she is a true scorer. I would therefore rank Anna as the second best passer on the break pending Paige's performances but Anna may turn out to be just as great at times this year due to size and exoperience. I realize that this is heresy but when she got going last year Anna was better than Crystal in certain situations in delivering the ball on the break. Actually, I think her skills have been undervalued and her body change is very telling about her motivation.

I also didn't mean to suggest that a PF has to always have their back to the basket at all times ala Kevin McHale but moves on the block and below are necessary. Meg posted up or tried to at least a few times a game last year even though she was a guard posing as a PF.

As for moves under or near the basket my choice is Aubrey. She proved herself to be a fine garbage player last year and offensive rebounder who can jump and go to the hoop. I would also take Evina and Anna out of the equation for PF. Aubrey, then Edwards then Mir( who like Nika gets very little BY press) is a lot of depth and great defense underneath at PF. I also expect to see each of those three at different times at the top of the full court press like Geno had Aubrey this year. When I watched film of Mir, her defense knocked me out.

I look at Anna as a recipient on the break. IMO she is not a leader of fastbreaks. She’s too slow. I agree with you in that I didn’t like her as a PF at all. I think her strength is catching the ball at the 3pt line and either take a shot or make a good decision with a real good pass.

I just think if Evina is a starting pg - if she is good enough to beat out Paige for pg-- then I think it means she adept at running a fastbreak. While Ana might be a better passer she is more Larry-Bird like. You hot Bird on the wing for fastbreaks,. Same you would do with Anna. And no way I'm saying Ana is LBird.

As for Mir-- I have no idea what to expect (same with Edwards). But until I see with my own eyes Mir able to finish inside vs legit D1 teams I question in year 1 how much she can contribute. Further- because she is short (5'10 I think?) and not built for example like Gabby, I think her frosh year she can get pushed around quite a bit vs good teams. She looks like she can definitely press but I don’t know what else she can do other than defend players if they are her size. But offensively I don’t know UCONN can hang their hats on which is why I have her 5th as a pf if Griff and Edwards are deficient and UCONN needs one to start.

Reaction Score
Remiss of us not to bring in a height question at this time. When I originally saw this months ago I did a double take. I think Anna is taller than listed on the roster.

I saw her at the XL standing next to Irwin pregame. Irwin was list 6'1" and Makurat was clearly not only taller but also had a much bigger frame.

Reaction Score

Didn't Stewart play the 4? I don't remember her ever being "buried under the boards". Hopefully Makurat's added muscle will allow her to play against bigger players. Right now she can play the 1, 2, & 3. Adding skiils as a 4 will add some minutes and give the coaches more options. You don't have to be a classic pf to play the 4 in selected situations. And I'm looking forward to the minutes she plays as the 2 and posts up a 5'7" guard.

Reaction Score
She appears to be at least two inches taller than Westbrook, maybe three; cited for her strength by Auriemma; and knows the fundamentals, including footwork and boxing out.

I do not think Makurat will be a PF, I do not want her to be a PF, but what is it about Westbrook that would make her a better candidate for the four out of Bueckers, Williams and Makurat? I have not watched Westbrook played but the reports I hear are all guard-oriented, nothing remotely connected with PF. So with serious curiosity I ask what am I missing that would put Westbrook above Makurat or even Williams as a PF candidate?

I didn't think Makurat is 2-3 inches taller. I went by hoopgrulz calling Evina 6foot and the UCONN website has Anna at 6'1. I don't think Anna is very athletic. I think Evina is much more athletic. IMO if you are giving up size inside then you better have bulk and/or athleticism. Evina looks just as bulky as Anna and is 1.5 years older. So athleticism is important vs the one inch. I just don't think Anna is very athletic.

As for Williams - she is way too short imo. I'm not sure but maybe you and one or or maybe two other have suggested CWill too? Maybe more -- but I think very very few. If she can- great-- but 5/10 imo works with Gabby's athleticism -- I don't see it with Cwill. She rebounds well for a 2guard going against other 2 guards. . I think Evina is bigger and just as broad as CWill. OFC its is not ideal but if Griff and Edwards are not effective and you need your best players I think Evina would be better choice. I just want to add as I have many times-- I know I could be way off- I haven't seen her enough. I can't find anything on YOUTUBE of her other than highlights.

So if you or others say I'm out-to-lunch -- okay. What can I say? :) It wouldn't be the 1st time and it won't be the last!!! :):)
There's no games for me to watch her unless anyone has a link?. But she does look big and broad for her size. She is athletic. If she has these qualities, why couldn't she be?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I didn't think Makurat is 2-3 inches taller. I went by hoopgrulz calling Evina 6foot and the UCONN website has Anna at 6'1.
OK. Fair enough. For some reason I thought Westbrook was 5'11" but I see from the UConn site she is listed as 6'0". I can see where a one inch difference would not matter to someone given other factors. I do think, like CocoHusky, that Makurat is likely closer to 6'2" than 6'1", but who know in these days of Hartley units?

However, Makurat looks stronger to me than Westbrook, regardless of size. I could be biased though because Auriemma praised Makurat's strength as one of his first impressions of her. I'll take strength any day at the PF position over other physical attributes; it's why I mentioned Williams, she looks stronger than Westbrook to me as well. But I do not want Williams at PF; I do not want Makurat at PF (nor Westbrook, obviously). Either Griffin, Edwards or Mclean would suit me best.

Reaction Score

1-- Griff
2-- Edwards
3-- Evina
4-- Anna
5-- Mir
Anna has a pro frame and is excellent in the motion offense. Not a traditional "4" but if Geno wants a small lineup, likely she could play this role for a few minutes. With all the athletes and shooters UConn has, would not want to play against some of these lineups.

Reaction Score
OK. Fair enough. For some reason I thought Westbrook was 5'11" but I see from the UConn site she is listed as 6'0". I can see where a one inch difference would not matter to someone given other factors. I do think, like CocoHusky, that Makurat is likely closer to 6'2" than 6'1", but who know in these days of Hartley units?

However, Makurat looks stronger to me than Westbrook, regardless of size. I could be biased though because Auriemma praised Makurat's strength as one of his first impressions of her. I'll take strength any day at the PF position over other physical attributes; it's why I mentioned Williams, she looks stronger than Westbrook to me as well. But I do not want Williams at PF; I do not want Makurat at PF (nor Westbrook, obviously). Either Griffin, Edwards or Mclean would suit me best.

Everyone but McLean and Williams for me this year.

I'm with you in regards to most preferable is Griff and Edwards.

But let me ask you these - and this is just for complete fun--

Is it so wrong to think Evina can be 1st/2nd team A/A?
Is it so wrong to think CWill can live up to closely being one of the top few players in her class?
Is it so wrong to think that Paige can be near close to the hype?
Is it so wrong to think that if Anna is recipient of passes from two legit pg's that she wouldn't get a lot of open looks from 3? If she does-- isn't that awesome? She is an awesome shooter, isn't she?

Isn't it possible that big teams couldn't defend this lineup? And at the other end UCONN plays zone? Zone limits inside play. Even if other team scores. Run. UCONN has TWO pg's. How well can the big pf defend the perimeter?

I know Griff and Edwards are probably the PF's. It makes the most sense if they can at least "hold-the-fort." That's why I have Griff as 1st pick and Edwards 2nd for PF.

Reaction Score
Didn't Stewart play the 4? I don't remember her ever being "buried under the boards". Hopefully Makurat's added muscle will allow her to play against bigger players. Right now she can play the 1, 2, & 3. Adding skiils as a 4 will add some minutes and give the coaches more options. You don't have to be a classic pf to play the 4 in selected situations. And I'm looking forward to the minutes she plays as the 2 and posts up a 5'7" guard.
Stewie didn't bring the ball up on breaks, she didn't serve as a secondary playmaker( Geno's description of Anna) and she didn't have the ball in her hands for the express purpose of distributing all of which you can't do when you are playing defense as a PF under the boards because the break is 20 feet ahead of you. Magic Johnson was 6'9'' but his coaches put the ball in his hands as a PG, not a PF even though he was big enough. Why? His incredible talents for passing and running the break and the offense. I don't understand the compulsion to try to make Anna a PF because she got stronger and added muscle. She just is not as athletic as Aubrey, can't jump as high, showed no moves under the basket, is not a quality rebounder and can't defend as well and is not a PF pure and simple. Anna is a great passer, has court vision, can heat up like a microwave with 3s, and has guard talents and skills and may be an AA at some point if she stays in her position. Use her skills, they are pretty elite. If you start Evina, Anna, CW, Aubrey and Liv and bring in Paige and Edwards as 6th and 7th man and throw in little bit of Nika and Mir, we can beat anybody.

Reaction Score

Is it so wrong to think CWill can live up to closely being one of the top few players in her class?
Is it so wrong to think that if Anna is recipient of passes from two legit pg's that she wouldn't get a lot of open looks from 3? If she does-- isn't that awesome? She is an awesome shooter, isn't she?

Isn't it possible that big teams couldn't defend this lineup? And at the other end UCONN plays zone? Zone limits inside play. Even if other team scores. Run. UCONN has TWO pg's. How well can the big pf defend the perimeter?

I know Griff and Edwards are probably the PF's. It makes the most sense if they can at least "hold-the-fort." That's why I have Griff as 1st pick and Edwards 2nd for PF.
[/QUOTE

Yes it is possible that big slower teams can't defend a team that had a mix of Evina, Paige, Anna, CW, ONO, Aubrey. and Edwards. It is also possible that a bigger team can beat the zone underneath because the vulnerability is usually there by a "high-low" or "overload" and the problem with the zone is that it is more difficult to box out because you are usually not straight up on defense on a man. One thing about the zone is that it is easier to fast break from and that will be fun to watch.

Just as Anna gets a lot of open shots from Evina and Paige, Evina gets even more open shots from Anna and Paige. I don't see a lot of zone for this team however except for a full court zone press or half court trap. Geno is a man to man coach. Even from a full court press his players go back to man to man when most coaches go into a zone. The aggressive defense turned us around as a team last year and this year we have more depth and more talent especially on defense with Edwards, Mir and an older Aubrey. Plus Jamelle is back to put fire into them. Paige's steal numbers were extraordinary and Nika was no slouch either and once we get a deflection or steal or long rebound or good outlet pass from a defensive rebound it is over.

Reaction Score
It's good to see that Anna's trainer is giving Anna a well rounded workout not just weights for strength.
You want to work out with activities that are sport specific!
She doesn't JUST want to be stronger but more flexible, quicker, and stronger and better conditioned.
If she can be a step or two quicker and able to run full-out up and down the court she will truly be a load to handle by her opponents!
Being weight stiff and losing flexibility will not help Anna one bit!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom