Anna Wilson | The Boneyard

Anna Wilson

Reaction Score
Stanford with a huge boost as Anna Wilson, the Co-Pac12 DPOY will be returning for her swansong on the farm. She will be a fabulous and welcome return to help the farm defend their national title. The Stanford defense will be stingy as usual with an improved Cameron Brink, Ashten Prechtel, Anna Wilson, and the four armed Hull! For those of us who had to watch Anna Wilson show signs of promise through some injury plagued seasons, it's been fantastic to watch her become one of the leaders for this team. Alyssa Jerome will also be returning, and she provides some invaluable senior leadership for our younger posts -- and she's tough as nails -- came up with some big rebounds in the Final Four and was capable of contributing throughout the season -- such as giving Oregon State nightmares when she broke out for a big game.

Reaction Score
damn are you breaking news? I hadn't seen it in any site

It was confirmed in a Zoom call with Tara. She also mentioned that Stanford is having a hard time finding teams that want to play them next year, so it'll be interesting to see what our schedule ends up looking like.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It was confirmed in a Zoom call with Tara. She also mentioned that Stanford is having a hard time finding teams that want to play them next year, so it'll be interesting to see what our schedule ends up looking like.
There are certain coaches that don't ever shy away from or dodge other programs, employing the "anyone, anywhere, anytime" mindset. Geno Auriemma, Dawn Staley and Jeff Walz immediately come to mind. Kim Mulkey usually likes to include a couple of elite programs in her "ultra soft" OOC schedules. A change of schools doesn't necessarily mean a change in philosophy in scheduling pre-conference opponents. Stanford is going to be even tougher this year. I don't expect any drop off from last year. I think they return to their familiar position of dominance in the Pac-12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

See you in Columbia!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There are certain coaches that don't ever shy away from or dodge other programs, employing the "anyone, anywhere, anytime" mindset. Geno Auriemma, Dawn Staley and Jeff Walz immediately come to mind. Kim Mulkey usually likes to include a couple of elite programs in her "ultra soft" OOC schedules. A change of schools doesn't necessarily mean a change in philosophy in scheduling pre-conference opponents. Stanford is going to be even tougher this year. I don't expect any drop off from last year. I think they return to they're familiar position of dominance in the Pac-12.
The fact that Stanford was a de facto road team this whole year is just crazy. It probably contributed to their postseason performance.

Reaction Score
I guess CalSt Northridge is playing HTG? :rolleyes: Tara hasn't exactly looked to play many really good OOC games for several years, going back to the Stewart era when according to Geno she "needed a break". Still plays Tenn though. I wondering if maybe what she can't find are teams willing to travel to Palo Alto with no return game. It would be a nice game for the XL where I have a nice seat.

Reaction Score
The fact that Stanford was a de facto road team this whole year is just crazy. It probably contributed to their postseason performance.
When you are the road your opponent is supposed to be at home, not playing on the road in the gym you practice in. Yeah, it was a hardship but nothing like spending 6 weeks actually on the road. I thought that living out of a suitcase for 6 weeks would stress the team more than other teams but I was wrong.
It must have been tough, living in a luxury hotel with room service. :oops: This while most other teams in the country had the luxury of being virtual prisoners in their dorms and their practice courts, eating institutional food and associating only with the members of their "party, like 30 mostly "old people" It was a sucky time for everyone. But when I was living on campus up in McMann and someone told me I could choose between my dorm room and a room in Vegas I would have kissed them.

I'm sure the time in Vegas was stressful but name a program that wasn't strained. And it showed on the court with far too many unforced errors in general in the P-5.

W

wolfe613

It's fresh news from yesterday. That's when the Zoom call was. I missed the call by mistake but saw the news on the CardBoard right afterward.
ah I just wondered why there hadn't been a news link posted

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t exactly call it surprising news since she didn’t put in for the 2021 WNBA draft back on 4/15/2021.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm glad to hear this. They'll be really good. Or maybe really really good. However many reallys Geno gives them.

Reaction Score
They are the champs so SC should travel to Cali. At least, that is what I would be negotiating if I were Tara.

Dawn said Tara was looking to schedule games in the East but maybe she just meant vs East. Dunno.

Reaction Score
Historically, Stanford does a road swing on the East Coast against two teams during the season, so I wonder if they're playing South Carolina and looking for someone else to play in the region. Perhaps they should go visit Duke. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Historically, Stanford does a road swing on the East Coast against two teams during the season, so I wonder if they're playing South Carolina and looking for someone else to play in the region. Perhaps they should go visit Duke. :rolleyes:
NC State

Reaction Score
Happy that Anna is returning but she got cooked by Evans, Cooke, and to a lesser degree, McDonald, which was mostly a team effort.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Happy that Anna is returning but she got cooked by Evans, Cooke, and to a lesser degree, McDonald, which was mostly a team effort.
Uh...McDonald was 5-21 shooting in the Title Game. In 2 previous games during the season against Stanford she was 3-18 and 8-24. She scored 12, 20 and 22 in the 3 games, but not particularly efficient in any of them.

W

wolfe613

she was in foul trouble why she was off her game but don't get it twisted, when she was in the game they were up 12+ and she sat out and Arz cameback to tie. She makes a HUGE difference defensively

Reaction Score
I agree Wilson wasn't a huge factor in the Final 4 games but made outstanding contributions throughout the season and even earlier in the tournament. Considering the question marks with Stanford's backcourt this is a huge help for them.

Reaction Score
I guess CalSt Northridge is playing HTG? :rolleyes: Tara hasn't exactly looked to play many really good OOC games for several years, going back to the Stewart era when according to Geno she "needed a break". Still plays Tenn though. I wondering if maybe what she can't find are teams willing to travel to Palo Alto with no return game. It would be a nice game for the XL where I have a nice seat.
I was on board until you said XL center and I was like “where?” Ugh. I’m not even 40, but it’ll always be the civic center to me (remembering my grandmother’s stories of the circus fire and from working at the old G Fox building, etc)

Reaction Score
I was on board until you said XL center and I was like “where?” Ugh. I’m not even 40, but it’ll always be the civic center to me (remembering my grandmother’s stories of the circus fire and from working at the old G Fox building, etc)

I had to stop and ask myself "what is the "new name" of the civic center"? But it's the 21st century and I don't want to be labelled a "boomer". ?

Reaction Score
Uh...McDonald was 5-21 shooting in the Title Game. In 2 previous games during the season against Stanford she was 3-18 and 8-24. She scored 12, 20 and 22 in the 3 games, but not particularly efficient in any of them.
I said to a lesser degree which was mostly a team effort. And I know what she shot in all games against Stanford, fact is, Anna struggled to defend the elite guards in the tourney. Familiarity helped her out with McDonald but the other two?

Reaction Score
she was in foul trouble why she was off her game but don't get it twisted, when she was in the game they were up 12+ and she sat out and Arz cameback to tie. She makes a HUGE difference defensively
She still got cooked vs Evans and Zia tho. But yes, Anna is a very good defender, I'm just pointing out how she struggled guarding the Elite guards in the tourney.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She still got cooked vs Evans and Zia tho. But yes, Anna is a very good defender, I'm just pointing out how she struggled guarding the Elite guards in the tourney.
Well...McDonald was easily the best guard in the Tourney, so there's goes your theory.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom