Anna Makurat Commits to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Anna Makurat Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
Come to New Britain . We welcome you! Chicopee is nice but it’s in Mass. Broad Street, New Britain, the polish capital of Connecticut.
Yes, little Poland would embrace her wholeheartedly! They might even make her the honored guest at their annual Polish event there this summer ......

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Anna's size, movements, skills and confident aggressiveness remind me of someone...
Not to mention the "not the best" defensive skills according to another someone who was your someone's teammate. :)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
New Courant article on how it became possible for players like Anna to come to the states while playing for professional teams:

Even more reason to like Enes Kanter . :D

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl spoke to Jasmine Thomas about Ania.

"And she's a high school kid on a team bringing in import players. The foreigners are supposed to take up all the attention and all the minutes, but she played all season. She was a significant part of that team. That's a testament to her talent."

"It helps a lot to have that professional experience. But what you gain in college is what happens to your body, the regimen that they put you through, your IQ, especially playing for Geno. Those are the areas that she will really benefit from."

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The difficulty and diversity in our roster names has gone up by alot. Geno and our whole coaching staff will have their hands full. :cool:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I agree . everyone knows size would be helpful but to have talented athletic players added sure takes some of the edge off of our depleted roster size ....
Run those opposing bigs into the ground. Not to mention that if ONO keeps improving. we aren't that undersized and she is quicker than most bigs if not as bulky as some. and our grad transfer adds bulk.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

That seems to imply that Rebecca doesn’t think that Ania is terribly athletic, which is consistent with other descriptions of her game. I can imagine that defense will be a problem for her, and could limit her minutes as a freshman.

Reaction Score
That seems to imply that Rebecca doesn’t think that Ania is terribly athletic, which is consistent with other descriptions of her game. I can imagine that defense will be a problem for her, and could limit her minutes as a freshman.

I have a feeling if she can score consistently they'll find a place for her on the court unless her defense is truly awful..........

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I did not read it that way. Allen is saying the athleticism level around her is not great although it probably does describe her at some level.

Reaction Score
Joe, have you actually seen AM play? If not you could probably "imagine" lots of things. Not trying to be rude but Im amazed at all assumptions I sometimes read on our forum. Can we wait and see before we "imagine"?

Reaction Score
Joe, have you actually seen AM play? If not you could probably "imagine" lots of things. Not trying to be rude but Im amazed at all assumptions I sometimes read on our forum. Can we wait and see before we "imagine"?

there have been numerous quotes from her American pro teammates where her offensive skills and attitude were praised but clearly pointing out that she needs to work on the rest of her game..............at that age other then Paige Bueckers, who doesn't

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
there have been numerous quotes from her American pro teammates where her offensive skills and attitude were praised but clearly pointing out that she needs to work on the rest of her game....at that age other then Paige Bueckers, who doesn't
And I’m sure that even Paige Bueckers will have some shortcoming in her game, however slight, that Geno will harp on relentlessly until she corrects it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I don’t think Rebecca is implying that at all. Geno said when Ania’s signing was announced that she is athletic enough to play American basketball. She was a starter at 18 years old in an elite Polish league with players like Tiff Hayes, Jas Thomas, Ariel Atkins, Jordan Canada, etc. She held her own. I think Ania’s athleticism is comparable to Lou’s.

Reaction Score

Many of us have already seen Makurat play, virtually all of her Arka Gdynia tape is available on youtube.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Rebecca is implying that at all. Geno said when Ania’s signing was announced that she is athletic enough to play American basketball. She was a starter at 18 years old in an elite Polish league with players like Tiff Hayes, Jas Thomas, Ariel Atkins, Jordan Canada, etc. She held her own. I think Ania’s athleticism is comparable to Lou’s.

I had this same discussion with posters when Nurse was entering as a freshman. I pointed out that playing with and against older players, many who were pros, was far better preparation than high school/AAU play. I have no idea how skilled she is but Makurat will be better prepared for the speed and physicality of wcbb than Griffin.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on this. However, after watching a few of her games, IMO her ballhandling, short area quickness, and athleticism are actually better than KLS. She sees the floor, is creative and passes very well.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I agree with you on this. However, after watching a few of her games, IMO her ballhandling, short area quickness, and athleticism are actually better than KLS. She sees the floor, is creative and passes very well.
I sure hope you guys are right (you and @CocoHusky, @UConnCat, and of course Geno). I have no reason to doubt any of you. From the tape I've seen, she sure seems like an advanced basketball player for her age. I don't think she'll be intimidated by anyone, and like Christyn, I think she will find it fun to play in front of large crowds and in big games.

Let us hope she can play decent D and keep up with Crystal and Christyn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom