Angst About Recruiting on the Syracuse Board | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Angst About Recruiting on the Syracuse Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is true but they are both getting a very nice payday from ESPN which unfortunately UConn is not.

For the one millionth time -- as a fan, how much money the school gets for athletics is irrelevant. No one gets an emotional rush on the 31st of the month thinking about a check that your school's athletic department gets. Money in sports is only a means to an end, and the end is winning. If UConn goes back to dominating Syracuse in athletic performance again, I couldn't give a plugged nickel about whether Syracuse can afford to pay coaches better than us.

Reaction Score
way to kick me when im down :(

Hopefully the jets are on the rise after Gase is fired and plethora of picks that they have. To Syrcause's credit, they are a far better college basketball team than the NY jets are a football team if that makes any sense.

I'm a better ballerina than the NY Jets are a football team.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that they stopped recruiting him because he was afraid to compete with Joe Girard and Buddy Boeheim for minutes.
Can we point out how they thought they lost Andre Jackson due to playing time. At the time, we were going to have a senior Polley and Bouknight essentially playing the 3, both of which were near locks to be on the team this year. They had Elijah Hughes (who had a good chance to go to the draft) and Guerrier (who they were proclaiming was a likely one and done at the time). What am I missing, I would think Cuse looked like a lot more available playing time when he committed (and ultimately they do).

Reaction Score
Can we point out how they thought they lost Andre Jackson due to playing time. At the time, we were going to have a senior Polley and Bouknight essentially playing the 3, both of which were near locks to be on the team this year. They had Elijah Hughes (who had a good chance to go to the draft) and Guerrier (who they were proclaiming was a likely one and done at the time). What am I missing, I would think Cuse looked like a lot more available playing time when he committed (and ultimately they do).

In the original Andre thread they mentioned going to UConn because there was ample playing time compared to SU where he would have to ride the bench... now they are saying he woukd have gotten 30 min a game if he picked the Orange...

Attachments

• 0DE03A7C-00E4-47F3-AB9F-0DA47A33B495.jpeg
    0DE03A7C-00E4-47F3-AB9F-0DA47A33B495.jpeg
    704 KB · Views: 279
Reaction Score
While I get why some don’t like Cuse.they were easily the team we liked to play and beat the most. Aside from the fact that I have family up there who I like to tease when we beat them (and they me) I miss that rivalry. We haven’t had any nearly the same.
DOOK.

Reaction Score
These mother lovers are absolutely delusional! When we Whiff on a recruit do we have posters making up reasons? They seem to do that every single time.... so apparently Mac chose UCLA over SU because Mick promised him playing time and he would have had to earn it at SU.....

Attachments

• F681B83C-DBBD-452A-B0EE-DB022B0D85F3.png
    F681B83C-DBBD-452A-B0EE-DB022B0D85F3.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 261
Reaction Score
These mother lovers are absolutely delusional! When we Whiff on a recruit do we have posters making up reasons? They seem to do that every single time.... so apparently Mac chose UCLA over SU because Mick promised him playing time and he would have had to earn it at SU.....
That's par for the course for that board. Although there's a large handful of posters who do the same thing here any time a recruit goes elsewhere

Reaction Score
Yeah we do that too. At least its usually $ubtle. They use that same story for just about every snub.

Reaction Score
That's par for the course for that board. Although there's a large handful of posters who do the same thing here any time a recruit goes elsewhere
I hope we call them out on it.... embarrassing

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
sometimes I wonder why we discuss cuse on this board. Without Carmelo in 2003, they are absolutely nothing. Have not done a thing. No conversation. No issue. We are not rivals because we are far and away so much better than they are. It’s not even up for discussion. Syracuse has money from espn, which will dry up in the next decade and everything will change. Espn is bankrupt and that entire cable tv model is going away. What will not change is the fact that the world does not care about Syracuse basketball.

Last edited:

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
They only go like 7 deep this year lol. Playing time was there. AJ saw the direction the program was heading with an older coach who will be retiring after his son graduates and chose to go elsewhere. When he was asked on IG why he chose UConn he said he liked the direction the program was heading. The irony is that AJ is now used to sell recruits on the direction we’re heading, all 3 of our top-70 2021 recruits mentioned AJ during interviews/articles after committing. I think Diggins says “I like their recent recruits, they have this kid Andre Jackson who was on the cover of slam..”

Reaction Score
For the one millionth time -- as a fan, how much money the school gets for athletics is irrelevant. No one gets an emotional rush on the 31st of the month thinking about a check that your school's athletic department gets. Money in sports is only a means to an end, and the end is winning. If UConn goes back to dominating Syracuse in athletic performance again, I couldn't give a plugged nickel about whether Syracuse can afford to pay coaches better than us.
A school like Rutgers seems to have made the best of its payday from the B1G. They don't have to worry that the state legislators will defund their athletic department and their programs have improved. Overall, it appears to me that in the long run, the ESPN funded P5 schools will be better off than those that have to scrounge for a payday. UConn basketball may succeed in the Big East, but the athletic department will be struggling to keep its head above water, and that is disconcerting for this UConn fan.

Reaction Score
A school like Rutgers seems to have made the best of its payday from the B1G. They don't have to worry that the state legislators will defund their athletic department and their programs have improved. Overall, it appears to me that in the long run, the ESPN funded P5 schools will be better off than those that have to scrounge for a payday. UConn basketball may succeed in the Big East, but the athletic department will be struggling to keep its head above water, and that is disconcerting for this UConn fan.

I did not say more money isn't better than less money. Of course it is. But it's only meaningful if it leads to athletic achievements.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Youre reading a different board then me if you don't think we make excuses when we miss out on recruits lol

Reaction Score
Rutgers in a better position than UConn? You almost had me with this troll attempt

Reaction Score
If I was a middling ACC school I would be very scared of conference realignment, which I believe is coming relatively soon. Right now, they have Clemson carrying the football conference. What happens when the SEC or whatever new powerhouse conference comes calling and takes Clemson, Miami, and even FSU. All of a sudden that conference looks downright awful at football, worse than the AAC right now. And teams like Syracuse, BC, GT, WF and others, well I don’t think there’s going to be exactly a long list of suitors.

Short story, the ACC as a whole (outside of Clemson) needs to start performing like a power conference fast.

Reaction Score
If I was a middling ACC school I would be very scared of conference realignment, which I believe is coming relatively soon.

——

How do you believe this wide scale spontaneous conference realignment will occur given the facts that ACC members have granted future rights to their Conference, and other P5 member schools have contractual obligations to their respective conferences ?

Reaction Score
——

How do you believe this wide scale spontaneous conference realignment will occur given the facts that ACC members have granted future rights to their Conference, and other P5 member schools have contractual obligations to their respective conferences ?
I meant “I believe” as in that’s what I thought I read before, not so much as that was my hunch. Don’t the TV rights for lots of the power conferences run out in 2024-25ish?

edit so I did a quick search, I think only the SEC has a long term deal (2034). Big ten ends 2023, big 12 ends 2025, ACC ends 2022, PAC-12 ends 2024. So if there was ever a time for conference realignment...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the exception of the part about Rutgers. There is some validity to this post.

I often wonder is the basketball centric posters on this board would accept a invitation to the Big Ten or prefer to remain in the ZBE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom