Angela Salvadores to Duke [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Angela Salvadores to Duke [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Very sorry to hear it. At least she is not going to our only serious rival.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
National championship? Duke has had no shortage of talent, but the Blue Devils haven't sniffed the Final Four since 2006.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 said:
Coach P is the Teflon coach when it comes to recruiting. It doesn't matter how often her teams underachieve, more highly ranked recruits choose Duke. http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/9/14/6147377/angela-salvadores-commits-to-duke

Great Pickup for Duke. Angela is the type of player Duke needs to win the ACC and ultimately a National Championship

Duke is a top notch school - that's quite a draw. Duke wbb does fairly well although they don't get to the very top, and perhaps she's a recruit that thinks "here's a place where I can showcase my talent and perhaps bring this school to the heights that it needs to go"

just saying

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Duke is a top notch school - that's quite a draw. Duke wbb does fairly well although they don't get to the very top, and perhaps she's a recruit that thinks "here's a place where I can showcase my talent and perhaps bring this school to the heights that it needs to go"

just saying

Exactly. We shouldn't underestimate the allure of a Duke degree, including overseas. I'll be interested to see if she stays 4 years. She has signed to play with Euroleague team Rivas which doesn't affect her collegiate eligibility.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Yahooooooo..........Duke lands a guard. Someone to feed all those post players ;););)

Reaction Score

just saying
I'm not diminishing the allure of a Duke degree, but I'm always mystified why those recruits don't go to Stanford or Notre Dame, have the top-notch diploma AND get developed as a basketball player.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this has been posted before, but here is a clip of Salvadores in the U17 Championship game.

Reaction Score
1) She very likely will fizzle out at Duke. First of all, her fame is undeserved. The knuckleheaded US coach had her team playing zone for nearly the whole game. Let's see if Salvadores caan get 20 against UConn.

2) Develop as a player at Duke? How often does that happen in the wbb program?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I'm not diminishing the allure of a Duke degree, but I'm always mystified why those recruits don't go to Stanford or Notre Dame, have the top-notch diploma AND get developed as a basketball player.

I can't answer that, other than Duke, in the last 10 years has won just as many National Championships as the other two. And, Duke is rated higher in this report than Notre Dame. To be fair, I don't know how old this list is, I could not find a date BUT:

We are not looking at the situation through the eyes of a teenager, never mind a teenager from Europe. We are simply looking.

Reaction Score

Duke is much stronger academically than ND.
ND is Catholic which might not be everyone' scup of tea.
If you're from the east or Europe, Duke is much closer to home than Stanford.
Weather differences between ND And Duke.

Reaction Score
A motivated person can do just as well in life and get just as good of an education at any state university as they can at Duke. Even dropouts can do just as well.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
A motivated person can do just as well in life and get just as good of an education at any state university as they can at Duke. Even dropouts can do just as well.

See vowelguy's post.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Duke. No offense to their fans, but it seems no matter what players they have, under Joanne McCallie, it seems like they are incapable of beating UCONN. But I'd like to see them really good so they can knock teams like ND and Tennessee down. Same goes for L'ville for me - I'd like to see them in the top 4 as well.

BTW i just checked her twitter account and was shocked there were no tweets on this - what happened to "Something special this way comes" etc etc...?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Congrats to Duke. No offense to their fans, but it seems no matter what players they have, under Joanne McCallie, it seems like they are incapable of beating UCONN. But I'd like to see them really good so they can knock teams like ND and Tennessee down. Same goes for L'ville for me - I'd like to see them in the top 4 as well.

BTW i just checked her twitter account and was shocked there were no tweets on this - what happened to "Something special this way comes" etc etc...?

Life lesson # 24 - if you keep doing the same thing and keep getting the exact same unsatisfactory results, you need to re-evaluate and make some changes...is this one of Gibbs rules?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I read that in a radio interview L'ville scout writer Jody Demling referred to Salvadores as the female version of a "one and done" player. I don't know the context in which this was said so I don't know exactly what he meant. Was he simply comparing her talent level? Or was the L'ville staff (his source for recruiting info) thinking her signing with Rivas might suggest she'll go pro early.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Most of the players from Spain have already signed with a Club Team but retain their amateur status by not being paid. He's probably thinking Angela is talented enough to start getting paid next year prior to the Olympics.

I read that in a radio interview L'ville scout writer Jody Demling referred to Salvadores as the female version of a "one and done" player. I don't know the context in which this was said so I don't know exactly what he meant. Was he simply comparing her talent level? Or was the L'ville staff (his source for recruiting info) thinking her signing with Rivas might suggest she'll go pro early.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Duke is much stronger academically than ND.
ND is Catholic which might not be everyone' scup of tea.
If you're from the east or Europe, Duke is much closer to home than Stanford.
Weather differences between ND And Duke.

Really good points! I'd add that my impression is that Stanford may be tougher to gain admission to for athletes than Duke because I've heard they don't get relaxed admission standards at Stanford.

It appears that sometimes players who go to Duke and were also considering Stanford may not have been accepted to Stanford so if academics are top priority they end up with no choice. I could be wrong on this particular case but find it interesting that 2015 Lambert chose Duke after saying all along she wanted Stanford (so badly that an ESPNW article claimed that was her nickname). Also some Duke basketball player grads from CA had HS GPAs below 3.5, which would definitely not warrant admission at Stanford. So, like everything else in life, it's complicated and about choices.

Reaction Score
. . . BTW i just checked her twitter account and was shocked there were no tweets on this - what happened to "Something special this way comes" etc etc...?

Isn't it the case that coaches are unable to comment about recruits until after they've signed their LOI?
Maybe that's why she hasn't tweeted.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Once again, this demonstrates how great a country we live in. I find out breaking Duke news on a UCONN board. :p

Seems like I use this quote 2-3 times a year :p

Guess its more like 5-6 times :cool:

That being said

dancing bear.gif

Not sure how good this player is, dont know much about her .... I will have to google and surf youtube

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
1) She very likely will fizzle out at Duke. First of all, her fame is undeserved. The knuckleheaded US coach had her team playing zone for nearly the whole game. Let's see if Salvadores caan get 20 against UConn.

2) Develop as a player at Duke? How often does that happen in the wbb program?

I've got that game on tape. It wasn't just a zone, she was making plays off the dribble as well. She played with a confidence you usually only see in much older players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom