Aneesah Morrow - National Freshman of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aneesah Morrow - National Freshman of the Year

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Was Miles ineligible for the few games she played in last year? She did the covid early enroll thing.
Yes and no. The national award is open to all winners of their conference freshman of the year. Citron won in the ACC. Miles wasn't ineligible by ACC rules, but likely some voters didn't really view her as a freshman. I have a slight preference for Citron's game myself, but they're both really good and fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. The national award is open to all winners of their conference freshman of the year. Citron won in the ACC. Miles wasn't ineligible by ACC rules, but likely some voters didn't really view her as a freshman. I have a slight preference for Citron's game myself, but they're both really good and fun to watch.

Hopefully someone can help clarify something regarding conferences that have Coaches and Media conference winners. Which winner is considered the entry for the NFOY award?

Citron and Day-Wilson both won FOY for the ACC. I believe Citron was the Media selection and Day-Wilson was the Coaches selection. Or are both considered in this case?

Reaction Score
How about Olivia Miles of ND? And I thought Citron played well against UConn, not so much against N.C. State.
Miles. I don't think was eligible for the award since she began her career early at Norte Dame and played those six games last year...

Reaction Score
There is no longer a rule against transfers within the conference. Just saying.....
I doubt Geno would pursue her or even accept her if she called. He is best friends with Bruno and would probably not get involved in a situation that could affect that relationship.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Miles. I don't think was eligible for the award since she began her career early at Norte Dame and played those six games last year...
If Miles was eligible, would have been a close race I think. Elite guards on a high profile team generally have a psychological advantage for voters in comparison to highly efficient post layers.

Reaction Score
If Miles was eligible, would have been a close race I think. Elite guards on a high profile team generally have a psychological advantage for voters in comparison to highly efficient post layers.
I thoroughly agree--for the reason that you cited. Truthfully, I think Miles would have won over Murrow being that she plays for Notre Dame and as you said, that's a high profile team, plus, Miles has a very charismatic style...

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Infamous for throwing elbows. Caroline caught a hard one to her head, first game.

Reaction Score
Taking a team further is one thing, overall performance as a player is another. I don't know if that's part of the panels' thought process. I understand this is the UConn portion of the board, but why does it seem like posters have to diminish what Morrow accomplished?

Shouldn't UConn fans be happy that a player from a Big East team not named UConn earned this award? Doesn't this help to defeat the lazy talking point that the Big East is a weak conference when non-UConn fans want to find something to dig?

Reaction Score
I believe it has been reported that she was not rated because she had a knee issue in HS. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable "recruiting" followers can confirm this.
She missed most of her senior season because of an injury. However, she had a monster junior year at a high profile Chicago school. Hoopgurlz totally messed that one up.

Reaction Score
Whenever I hear hype by announcers about how many consecutive double/doubles Boston had this year, I think of Morrow. Not once did she get a mention. Boston’s streak pales in comparison. I’m glad to see Morrow’s accomplishments recognized over freshmen at P5 schools that received so much attention. Of course Azzi is the freshman of the tournament!

Reaction Score
She reminded me of Mark Aguirre (DePaul from about 40 years ago).
My sentiments exactly. The Ray Meyer/Mark Aguirre parallel too compelling to ignore, I am led to believe that Ms Morrow will lead Coach Bruno to his first Final Four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom