Anecdotal Update on Andre Jackson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anecdotal Update on Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
Ran across this report on last Saturday's (Feb 22) game between Long Island Lutheran (25-2) and Jackson's Albany Academy (16-3). LIL won, 102-101 in overtime but Jackson, not known for his outside shot, hit two clutch three's in the closing minutes of regulation to send the game into OT.

LuHi's lead was nine with 2:27 to play before 3-pointers from Andre Jackson (27 points) and Preston Graber (25 points). Jackson, a UConn commit, rebounded a missed LuHi free throw with :15 remaining, drove the court and pulled up from well outside the arc to down a second 3-pointer and force overtime.

Have tried my Google-best to get stats on Jackson's season but no luck. MaxPreps gives game-by-game scores but when you press "Box Score," no individual stats come up. Any one know anything?
In a recent game the announcer said he was shooting 78% from the ft line so that bodes well for his supposed improvement with his stroke

Reaction Score
In a recent game the announcer said he was shooting 78% from the ft line so that bodes well for his supposed improvement with his stroke

This was a very informative thread until you decided to bring it back on topic.

I didn't know any of that stuff and I stay at Holiday Inns regularly.

Well, not really, maybe I should start.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

So 78% as of january 27th

I recommend people watch this game. Jackson and Bouknight playing together just won't be fair to opposing teams. Jackson can make shots from deep, mid and obviously close. He has a Jeremy Lamb floater. Made three three's in first half. Best thing is this kid is a very good passer. The point guard next season is going to be one happy individual.

C

Chief00

I recommend people watch this game. Jackson and Bouknight playing together just won't be fair to opposing teams. Jackson can make shots from deep, mid and obviously close. He has a Jeremy Lamb floater. Made three three's in first half. Best thing is this kid is a very good passer. The point guard next season is going to be one happy individual.
#24/7Grind is paying off.

Reaction Score
This kid is a pro point guard in the making -- size, handle and a look-first passing instinct. The last is amazing in a high-school kid with the whole range of scoring skills. Bouk, right now, is the smoother operator, but Andre has all the pieces. DH has a real challenge next year, finding a way to get Bouk and Andre to complement each other rather than compete with each other. This gets even more complicated because both Bouk and Andre are future NBA point guards. These guys are probably our 2 and 3 next year, but we had a pure shooter to play the 3, they would make an incredible starting backcourt -- and God only knows what we'd do with Cole and Gaffney.

pj

Reaction Score
This kid is a pro point guard in the making -- size, handle and a look-first passing instinct. The last is amazing in a high-school kid with the whole range of scoring skills. Bouk, right now, is the smoother operator, but Andre has all the pieces. DH has a real challenge next year, finding a way to get Bouk and Andre to complement each other rather than compete with each other. This gets even more complicated because both Bouk and Andre are future NBA point guards. These guys are probably our 2 and 3 next year, but we had a pure shooter to play the 3, they would make an incredible starting backcourt -- and God only knows what we'd do with Cole and Gaffney.

The very essence of a point guard is the ability to play with others of like ability. Point guards can set one another up. A two or three point guard lineup is every coach's dream.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

#22 on Park School, Orogun, seems like a beast that will put up 18 and 18 against UConn in 2024. Looks like he is a low level D1 prospect. 6'10", 250 lbs.

Reaction Score
I think it will be easy having Bouknight and Jackson coexist. They are both really unselfish types, you have to coax them more to takeover instead of having to rein them in.

C

Chief00

I think it will be easy having Bouknight and Jackson coexist. They are both really unselfish types, you have to coax them more to takeover instead of having to rein them in.
One thing Chief notices about Bouknight is that he thinks a pass ahead. He often knows who/and where he is going with his pass before he actually gets the ball. Assuming he’s back next year, this will be even more effective, since there will be more passes to him, as there will be less senior options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Due to the shape of the North American Elk's esophagus. even if it could speak, it could not pronounce the word "lasagna."
Prove it! I heard one say mozzarella once clear as day.

Reaction Score
I think Bouknight and Jackson will compliment each other very well. If you have two guys on the floor like that at the same time it is hard to effectively guard them both.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think Bouknight and Jackson will compliment each other very well. If you have two guys on the floor like that at the same time it is hard to effectively guard them both.

It will be interesting to see if Jackson can start off strong. He will most likely be guarded by the third best perimeter defender of our opponents. Can run double alley oop sets and see which side defense bites on.

Reaction Score

19 PTS (15 pts in the first half. didn't look to score in the 2nd. 2-3 shots only. Acted as a press break and distributor most of the 2nd half)
9 REB (2 off)
7 AST
3 TO
3 STL
2 BLK

6/13 FG
3/5 3FG
4/4 FT

Just like a lot of recruits, he really seems undisciplined and kind of lackadaisical in this game. I think that has to be the new norm. Definitely looking for the flashy pay more than the fundamental one--trying to get the highlight reel. Coaches Gotta see the gem through the rough teenage attitude, lol. His team was way up for most of the game, to be fair. So there wasn't much reason to try hard.

True point forward. Looks stronger than last summer too. Excellent, excellent passer for his size. Drive and kick to corner shooters, moving the ball vs pressure, feeding the post and high post vs the zone, passing out of the post. Great bounces passes with some English on them. Overhand, underhand. Left hand passing isn't as good.. but can pass with both decently. Looks really solid passing in the half court. The comfort and quickness of his decision-making is translatable even in the competition isn't really high-level. I'd expect a real learning curve to learn to get those passes off versus better players. But it's good to see how many kinds of passes he has in his bag. Must have had at least 15 more potential assists that he teammates missed. The assist numbers aren't indicative of the passing ability.

Shooting is coming along. Ugly, ugly shot... but better. And he's making them. Problem is 1) he grips the ball from the front. 2) he gets his elbow "down" but his hand isn't on the ball straight... he just has a really flexible wrist which makes that possible. Slow but steady progress will keep him shooting well, and up the %s over time. Definitely not a TOTAL non-shooter like we thought 6 months ago.

His ability to rebound and take off in transition is going to be really entertaining for fans.

Ridiculous block at 33:53

Reaction Score
Next year's years team will dunk the most of any team since 2009, and that is going to be fun.

We haven't had a *physically* dominant team since 2009 I'd say. There was something so fun about the 2002-2009 stretch because we were just physically monsters and each game would win the rebounding battle by 10-15, block 9-10 shots, shoot 10-20 more free throws than our opponents and tear down the rim.

I am starting to

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One thing Chief notices about Bouknight is that he thinks a pass ahead. He often knows who/and where he is going with his pass before he actually gets the ball. Assuming he’s back next year, this will be even more effective, since there will be more passes to him, as there will be less senior options.

This is why Bouk is so special. He's not just a great shooter and terrific at finishing inside; his BBIQ is incredibly high.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This is why Bouk is so special. He's not just a great shooter and terrific at finishing inside; his BBQ is incredibly high.
I imagine that BBQ would be pretty good if you are incredibly high.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those that don't want to take the time to watch. At 7:40 he goes end to end with the ball and dunks his miss (I've seen this several times with him). From 20:15 to 21:24 he owns the game. Highlight reel block, highlight reel behind the back pass, inbounds 3 pt swish, mongoose Vital/Shabazz steal, breakaway dunk.
25:40 3 pt swish, 26:20 3 pt swish, 28:00 ball handling to take clock down to the half resulted in driving dunk. LI got a last second FT, missed, Jackson got the RB near the baseline and heaved the ball over the backboard at the other end by a wide margin, (ie if we were taking the ball out under the basket with .6 sec on the clock, he has the arm to get the ball all the way to the other rim for a tip in). Also early in the game he missed a tear drop in the lane and then made one, so he has that nice floater too.

I also have to say that Mulvey looked good. 6'11 soph that I had met his parents at Hoophall. In that game his matchup was a quicker 6'8 player and he did okay. In this game his matchup was a big solid 6'11 peer. He had 4 blocks in the first half, a couple dunks, missed an 8' and 12' shot that he looked good taking, rebounded, and tipped a couple rebounds to his teammates when he couldn't come down with it. I think he will be a player to watch. He looked very comfortable, and even looked a bit stronger than just a few weeks ago.

PS Jackson was so good from 20:15 to 21:24 I made my wife watch it. I got an eyeroll to let me know that she was just doing it as a favor, but then an approving nod.

Reaction Score
Important to remember the transition from HS to college takes a hit on 3pt shooting. I think we can all agree Gaffney came in a better 3pt shooter than Jackson, but Gaffney is shooting 28% from 3 currently. I think we can expect Gaffney to develop into a knockdown shooter, and Jackson to develop into an average 3pt shooter, but I'd expect in the 15-25% range for Jackson next season.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I imagine hat BBQ would be pretty good if you are incredibly high.

I think Tom is messing with us. So many people have written 'BBQ' that I double-checked to make sure the 'I' was in there before I posted. I wonder if it's similar to 'Sc@lito'?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom