Anecdotal Update on Andre Jackson | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anecdotal Update on Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
For those that don't want to take the time to watch. At 7:40 he goes end to end with the ball and dunks his miss (I've seen this several times with him). From 20:15 to 21:24 he owns the game. Highlight reel block, highlight reel behind the back pass, inbounds 3 pt swish, mongoose Vital/Shabazz steal, breakaway dunk.
25:40 3 pt swish, 26:20 3 pt swish, 28:00 ball handling to take clock down to the half resulted in driving dunk. LI got a last second FT, missed, Jackson got the RB near the baseline and heaved the ball over the backboard at the other end by a wide margin, (ie if we were taking the ball out under the basket with .6 sec on the clock, he has the arm to get the ball all the way to the other rim for a tip in). Also early in the game he missed a tear drop in the lane and then made one, so he has that nice floater too.

I also have to say that Mulvey looked good. 6'11 soph that I had met his parents at Hoophall. In that game his matchup was a quicker 6'8 player and he did okay. In this game his matchup was a big solid 6'11 peer. He had 4 blocks in the first half, a couple dunks, missed an 8' and 12' shot that he looked good taking, rebounded, and tipped a couple rebounds to his teammates when he couldn't come down with it. I think he will be a player to watch. He looked very comfortable, and even looked a bit stronger than just a few weeks ago.

PS Jackson was so good from 20:15 to 21:24 I made my wife watch it. I got an eyeroll to let me know that she was just doing it as a favor, but then an approving nod.
Jackson is going to be awesome. I was going to make a post on Mulvey too, I like him a lot.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@Chief00, you are being very cryptic with your posts in this thread and if I'm deciphering your messages correctly it leads me to think that someone special may test the waters after this season. Say it ain't so Chief.

Reaction Score
@Chief00, you are being very cryptic with your posts in this thread and if I'm deciphering your messages correctly it leads me to think that someone special may test the waters after this season. Say it ain't so Chief.
From a western conference scout: “hopefully he doesn’t think about leaving... the best thing he could get would be on a bus somewhere in the G League...”

DH: “ What I like most about James and the people that sent James to us is that they understand he’s a talent, but they’re also reasonable and smart, and they have his best future interests at heart.”

Few other quotes out there. Maybe things change at the end of the season if he really goes on a run. But from what I’ve seen and people are saying, I’m working under the assumption he’s back next season. He could really use a year to fill his body out, develop his all around game, and get more eye balls on him. Him and AJ will be a scary backcourt in terms of their length, athleticism, and play making ability.

Reaction Score
I've seen enough of Andre here to believe that, come next year at this time, he'll be giving us at least what Bouk is giving us now. This moves me to extend my personal go-ahead to Bouk to lead us to an AACT title and the NCAA Sweet 16 this year, even if it means he leaves for the NBA. Next year's team will be NCAA-caliber even Boukless. It's the Hurley era, and we'd better get used to enjoying pleasant tea-times with our phenom guests cuz they ain't stayin' overnight.

C

Chief00

From a western conference scout: “hopefully he doesn’t think about leaving... the best thing he could get would be on a bus somewhere in the G League...”

DH: “ What I like most about James and the people that sent James to us is that they understand he’s a talent, but they’re also reasonable and smart, and they have his best future interests at heart.”

Few other quotes out there. Maybe things change at the end of the season if he really goes on a run. But from what I’ve seen and people are saying, I’m working under the assumption he’s back next season. He could really use a year to fill his body out, develop his all around game, and get more eye balls on him. Him and AJ will be a scary backcourt in terms of their length, athleticism, and play making ability.

Chief agrees he should come back. My guess is most scouts and coaches would still agree. However, I do think you need to be careful with quotes from earlier this season - they may understate his current situation or perspective. Because of the suspension, he got off to a slow start and he gets the ball more with Gaffney running things. I also want you to know, if Chief thinks it’s in his best interest to go, I will be the first guy to say so. Just the fact that we are having this conversation is sobering. He’s also seen two guys go down with serious injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Chief agrees he should come back. My guess is most scouts and coaches would still agree. However, I do think you need to be careful with quotes from earlier this season - they may understate his current situation or perspective. Because of the suspension, he got off to a slow start and he gets the ball more with Gaffney running things. I also want you to know, if Chief thinks it’s in his best interest to go, I will be the first guy to say so. Just the fact that we are having this conversation is sobering. He’s also seen two guys go down with serious injuries.
I'm sure he's thinking about it. Why wouldn't he? I'm sure he and Hurley will have a sit down at the end of the season to discuss what is best for him. I think he'd benefit from another year, but like you Chief, whatever is in his best interest is fine by me. We've gotten a glimpse of him as an individual in his response to the Akok injury. He's an easy kid to like. I wish him the best.

Reaction Score
Those quotes are from 2 days ago

Reaction Score
These quotes were from the Borges article posted a few days ago, so I’d assume they’re very recent. But, that’s fair, things can change quickly. It’s good to hear tho that he has reasonable people by his side and that they trust DH. DH has to think he is a year away and would tell him to stay and it’s good to know that people in his corner wouldn’t be telling him the wrong things... think it’d be different if he came in a top 25 recruit and was doing this. That’d make a difference to the NBA scouts for better or worse.

The injury thing is fair and I’m sure the recent notoriety has gotten him to think more about his future and where he might land. So it depends on what he wants. Still think it makes way more sense to come back next season and develop into an elite play maker at the college level.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not to mention he had a bad injury in high school.

Losing him would hurt the momentum going into next season particularly with the unkown of Polley and Akok.

I don't think his body is ready to be in the NBA, however wish nothing but the best regarding James. If it's good night Bouknight so be it. It's obvious Hurley it the type of coach who think's nothing but the best for his players and would offer advice from that perspective. Unlike the Canadian coach.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I believe you're allowed to "declare" a total of two times and still come back to school as long as you don't hire an agent. This allows you to go get feedback from NBA scouts and decide if you want to stay in or go back to school after hearing their notes on you as a player. It would make absolutely zero sense for him to NOT do this. He could declare this year, go get that information, come back to school, do it again next year, and STILL come back to school if he really wanted to for his junior year. Why wouldn't you go get as much info on your game as you could, especially when you can hear directly from the teams that would be drafting you in the future?

My guess is he declares this year, goes to the camps, gets told that he needs to work on his defense and bulk up/tighten his handle a bit and decides to come back for his 2nd year. Nobody should freak out when he declares, because that's exactly what makes the most sense for him to do.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When he can shoot it effectively in college I will be a believer. Next year, I see him as a slasher off the bench right now.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
When he can shoot it effectively in college I will be a believer. Next year, I see him as a slasher off the bench right now.
I once passed through Missouri so I understand your post.

All projections are opinions and not fact. There is no way to know if skills at the high school level can translate to the college level. In addition to competition being stronger, there are adjustments to being away from home, to new coaches and players and to new styles of play. With that said this kid comes to UConn with the athletic ability of Sid but a much higher bb IQ.

Shooting is not only about mechanics but about confidence. Not many coaches are going to have their players shoot from the top back of their head but it works for CV. Or put no spin on their shot but it worked for Rashad. I won't conjecture whether his 3 pt shot will continue to improve. What I was most excited about was his Jeremy Lamb go go gadget floaters. He did two of those in this game as @Ricker pointed out that I felt I was watching Jeremy's arms, their movements and the timing of the release. Andre will provide offense even without a three point shot in his repertoire.

The real value watching this game is just how good Andre's passing was. His court vision and passing accuracy is better than any player we currently have on the roster. Ricker pointed to the full court pass he overthrew. There was another one he shot with pin point accuracy that resulted in an easy fast break lay up. He had several ( I believe five passes) that were behind the back and perfectly placed. Players on that team had to always be ready when he had the ball.

When I watched tape of games James played in I knew he was going to be the player people are now observing. He controlled the game in high school the way we see him doing lately. He just needed the adjustment time. Andre did something similar in that short stretch Ricker points out and I agree people should at least watch that section to know his offensive skill set. But if you want to understand what type of facilitator and passer Andre is you would have to watch the entire game (minus the last five minutes when the game was over).

Reaction Score
I once passed through Missouri so I understand your post.

All projections are opinions and not fact. There is no way to know if skills at the high school level can translate to the college level. In addition to competition being stronger, there are adjustments to being away from home, to new coaches and players and to new styles of play. With that said this kid comes to UConn with the athletic ability of Sid but a much higher bb IQ.

Shooting is not only about mechanics but about confidence. Not many coaches are going to have their players shoot from the top back of their head but it works for CV. Or put no spin on their shot but it worked for Rashad. I won't conjecture whether his 3 pt shot will continue to improve. What I was most excited about was his Jeremy Lamb go go gadget floaters. He did two of those in this game as @Ricker pointed out that I felt I was watching Jeremy's arms, their movements and the timing of the release. Andre will provide offense even without a three point shot in his repertoire.

The real value watching this game is just how good Andre's passing was. His court vision and passing accuracy is better than any player we currently have on the roster. Ricker pointed to the full court pass he overthrew. There was another one he shot with pin point accuracy that resulted in an easy fast break lay up. He had several ( I believe five passes) that were behind the back and perfectly placed. Players on that team had to always be ready when he had the ball.

When I watched tape of games James played in I knew he was going to be the player people are now observing. He controlled the game in high school the way we see him doing lately. He just needed the adjustment time. Andre did something similar in that short stretch Ricker points out and I agree people should at least watch that section to know his offensive skill set. But if you want to understand what type of facilitator and passer Andre is you would have to watch the entire game (minus the last five minutes when the game was over).

Worth mentioning: he made passes with both hands. Super underrated skill. He's obviously way more creative with his dominant right, but he's a threat with both.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
For those that don't want to take the time to watch. At 7:40 he goes end to end with the ball and dunks his miss (I've seen this several times with him). From 20:15 to 21:24 he owns the game. Highlight reel block, highlight reel behind the back pass, inbounds 3 pt swish, mongoose Vital/Shabazz steal, breakaway dunk.
25:40 3 pt swish, 26:20 3 pt swish, 28:00 ball handling to take clock down to the half resulted in driving dunk. LI got a last second FT, missed, Jackson got the RB near the baseline and heaved the ball over the backboard at the other end by a wide margin, (ie if we were taking the ball out under the basket with .6 sec on the clock, he has the arm to get the ball all the way to the other rim for a tip in). Also early in the game he missed a tear drop in the lane and then made one, so he has that nice floater too.

I also have to say that Mulvey looked good. 6'11 soph that I had met his parents at Hoophall. In that game his matchup was a quicker 6'8 player and he did okay. In this game his matchup was a big solid 6'11 peer. He had 4 blocks in the first half, a couple dunks, missed an 8' and 12' shot that he looked good taking, rebounded, and tipped a couple rebounds to his teammates when he couldn't come down with it. I think he will be a player to watch. He looked very comfortable, and even looked a bit stronger than just a few weeks ago.

PS Jackson was so good from 20:15 to 21:24 I made my wife watch it. I got an eyeroll to let me know that she was just doing it as a favor, but then an approving nod.
Really like Mulvey as well. Kid made some of those mid range shots in the second half. Definitely a player Hurley would consider if there was mutual interest.

At least you got your wife to give you an eye roll. Mrs. Fleud is a big men's bb fan but she insists on waiting until kids suit up in a UConn uniform to formulate an opinion and refuses to dream about potential. Mrs. Fleud is more of a player development coach than a recruiting coach.

Reaction Score
So Duke and UNC are not in the top 16? Some schools must have an off-books budget.

They are likely not able to get the numbers for private schools. Not sure why not for UNC. They enrolled 2 5*s in that class. Maybe they didn't respond to the FOIA in time or something.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Worth mentioning: he made passes with both hands. Super underrated skill. He's obviously way more creative with his dominant right, but he's a threat with both.
Ricker made the same point.

I think you mentioned Andre could get into opposing players faces after a great play. Saw none of that in this game. I felt he deferred his play most of this game attempting not to overshadow his fellow team mates and to help them develop. I got the impression he held back at showing up the other team as well, He showed no favoritism to his brother. He was the leader in huddles. He also was the player his coach wanted to bring the ball up court when the opposing team pressed.

A point can be made his effort is reduced much of the game. That could be an issue but the competition was weaker. In addition the game was never in jeopardy, Andre was holding back to allow for the development of his team mates and he is asked to play the entire game so he's probably conserving energy and getting into foul trouble.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

These quotes were from the Borges article posted a few days ago, so I’d assume they’re very recent. But, that’s fair, things can change quickly. It’s good to hear tho that he has reasonable people by his side and that they trust DH. DH has to think he is a year away and would tell him to stay and it’s good to know that people in his corner wouldn’t be telling him the wrong things... think it’d be different if he came in a top 25 recruit and was doing this. That’d make a difference to the NBA scouts for better or worse.

The injury thing is fair and I’m sure the recent notoriety has gotten him to think more about his future and where he might land. So it depends on what he wants. Still think it makes way more sense to come back next season and develop into an elite play maker at the college level.
Scouts don’t see a guy play that often unless he’s a prime target to go to the draft. So even If he’s saying that now it may be based on observations awhile ago. Having said that my guess is most scouts would agree today with that assessment.
Chief was thinking he would leave after his junior year, I have recently adjusted my thinking. But, its nice to have this problem again.

C

Chief00

Vital tested the waters after his freshman year and returned. Bouk may do the same thing. I think it's likely he tries to find out his value.
Vital should perhaps get a little more respect now - he’s having a good close to his season. At that time, Vital was just testing the waters in his own mind. Bouknight would really be legitimately testing the waters. But, best advice I am hearing is for him to stay.

Reaction Score
Funny story on topic.

Earlier this year I attended the UConn Indiana game at MSG. I was sitting court-side (humble brag indeed) and people behind me were asking me if I knew who it was I was sitting next to. When I replied "no I don't you 2nd row poor people", they informed me he was the GM of the New Orleans Pelicans. Cool. So before the game started, I mustered up some confidence straight out of a high school prom proposal and decided to let him in on a tip:

"Hello sir, let me make your job easier. #2 there, James Bouknight, is a star. I know basketball, and this man has it. Don't believe me, just watch."

He laughed (more of a chuckle) and went back to his phone. Bouknight went on to score 0 points with 3 turnovers and no assists. Yikes. Never had I seen a potential friendship, bond, brotherhood, NBA insider contact, vacation getaway buddy, dissipate so quickly in my life. But on the glass-half-full side, at least we can rule out the Pelicans on prematurely poaching our star.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Funny story on topic.

Earlier this year I attended the UConn Indiana game at MSG. I was sitting court-side (humble brag indeed) and people behind me were asking me if I knew who it was I was sitting next to. When I replied "no I don't you 2nd row poor people", they informed me he was the GM of the New Orleans Pelicans. Cool. So before the game started, I mustered up some confidence straight out of a high school prom proposal and decided to let him in on a tip:

"Hello sir, let me make your job easier. #2 there, James Bouknight, is a star. I know basketball, and this man has it. Don't believe me, just watch."

He laughed (more of a chuckle) and went back to his phone. Bouknight went on to score 0 points with 3 turnovers and no assists. Yikes. Never had I seen a potential friendship, bond, brotherhood, NBA insider contact, vacation getaway buddy, dissipate so quickly in my life. But on the glass-half-full side, at least we can rule out the Pelicans on prematurely poaching our star.
Made that proclamation to some U of M fans at the C of C. Fortunately James didn't let me down the way he did you. But we were both right. DH should contact us for recruiting advice.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Funny story on topic.

I really wish this was all true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom