Andy Landers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andy Landers

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
For these yankee ears, too much southern, good ole boy, pass me the grits, meandering. Is probably a great guy one on one and was a terrific coach I believe. Kinda like listening to Daryl Waltrip do NASCAR broadcasts - becomes very tiresome, very quickly.

Darrell or Mikey, they are both a pain in the ear.

Reaction Score
I actually rather like Landers.

Will never forget a game he was on the halftime show talking about UCONN this season. He said:

So the past four years everyone avoided playing UCONN because of Stewie Tuck and Jefferson. So with them graduated they all figured THIS was the chance to beat UCONN. And Geno's scheduled all of them. How's that working out for y'all now??

Almost fell over laughing!

Reaction Score
Perfect analogy. While I've lived in the South a long time, I still have a Northern lack of patience: Southern drivers have molasses in their gas tanks and Southern pedestrians have molasses in their veins.

I lived in the Atlanta area for the summer of 1991. I thought the driver's had jet fuel in their gas tanks. The flew around those multi-laned highways like NASCAR drivers. There were constant accidents. Best decision I ever made was to get out of there.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I lived in the Atlanta area for the summer of 1991. I thought the driver's had jet fuel in their gas tanks. The flew around those multi-laned highways like NASCAR drivers. There were constant accidents. Best decision I ever made was to get out of there.

True, but it isn't like that in most of the South.

Back to Andy Landers, he seems like a nice fellow and he's knowledgeable about the game, but he needs to give the Reader's Digest version and not Webster's Unabridged.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I can't stand listening to him. He meanders through a topic in a slow, ponderous way (thanks to Rocky for just the right word). When you get through the sheer volume of words, you realize he's not making particularly insightful points. Unlistenable.

He really is painful to listen to.

Reaction Score
Thanks that it wasn't Dave O. non-stop. Thankin God baseball has started;). ...But, when I turn the Red Sox on, kinda not though. Bring back the other "O." The excellent cook and part-time Dentist for Remy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Without Lobo in the studio, it felt as if I was watching the SEC Network. ;)

While ESPN happily endorsed our run to 100 wins and the close game with SC at Storrs fit with their narrative that there are multiple teams that have a good chance to beat UConn, any accomplishments where we look to be better than our main competitors will be pooh-poohed. We saw it in the half time and post game shows and it will only intensify in the Tournament.
They may actually need to put the reigns on Rebecca Lobo. During last night's game, she was pushed into a new orbit of ecstasy and I do not think she can come back down to earth and watch the other teams and still say things like "they have a chance if ..." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Earlier this season, with three people in the group, I didn't think Landers was so bad. He did seem to be a little too touchy-feely with Rebecca's arm and shoulder, though. Lately, though, he seems to mostly spout clichés or repeat what the other have said. In a two-person panel, he's horrible, using 5,000 words where 250 would do. Meanders like the Chatahoochie River.

Didn't that cause someone to jump off a bridge? Oh, wait, that was the Tallhatchie Bridge.

chatahoochee bridge song - Bing video

Call it the "Andy Landers" effect.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I can't stand listening to him. He meanders through a topic in a slow, ponderous way (thanks to Rocky for just the right word). When you get through the sheer volume of words, you realize he's not making particularly insightful points. Unlistenable.

Amen !!! I have been waiting for this thread all season. Unlistenable is the perfect description. Adds almost nothing to the broadcast. I hope he is one of the on air talents ESPN is getting rid of.

Another peeve of mine is the black shoe polish job on his hair. Really Andy ? You're a hundred years old and not a grey hair.

Reaction Score
There is something different about Landers earlier in the season and now, and I have a feeling he's being coached badly. For t he record, I need to say that I was one of the first on here to say how much I liked his perspective. I thought - and continue to think - that his coach's view of things can be very interesting and perceptive.I don't mind his folksy southern style, either. But in the last couple of weeks, his style has become much more muted, as if someone told him he was overacting and needed to tone it down. Without any zing behind his delivery, he is much less interesting to listen to.

Agree. I was taken aback by his lecturing last night. My best guess was that they had a lot of air time left and had to fill it up, which he did in spades! (I would rather watch replays and get his coach's analysis. ) I hope I am right about the filling air time and this does not continue through the tournament!!

Reaction Score
Sounds like the right job. Wont scare away the fishes.

No, he won't scare 'em. The question is, will his inane dissertations bore them into swimming to the other side of the lake, or will they become hypnotized and flop to the surface right next to the boat?

Reaction Score
I love watching Geno's post game conferences. Lately he has gone into more detail. Personally , I enjoy Andy's explanations. At least he doesn't keep spitting out the same old " uconn has no depth " crap. Or " huskies have no size " !

Reaction Score

Rebecca Lobo is so much better. Too bad he can't be the straight-man for Lobo's jokes and insights. If he would just laugh and tell her she's a genius, we'd let him slip by. But bad karma between him and the other announcers. Think he's not going to last long.

But our UConn alumnae are tremendous. Megan Culmo is my favorite, followed by RL.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Isn't Andy the one that famously questioned Geno's recruiting when he offered a scholarship to Kelly Faris...Or am I mixing stories?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Isn't Andy the one that famously questioned Geno's recruiting when he offered a scholarship to Kelly Faris...Or am I mixing stories?
Yeah, that's him. Geno's story was that Andy questioned why Geno recruited Kelly then after seeing her in a game said, "That kid from Indian is pretty good". I think it cracked Geno up.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
they need to set up a shot clock for him off camera, and have it cut his mic when it gets to zero. I haven't really had a problem with him for much of the season but Lobo is usually there to keep him in line

I suspect he gets his best stuff from her off camera. When she isn't around it is just plum painful. He's got 2-3 things he plays with in a nursing home bingo sort of way no matter the game.

Early this season when they cut to Andy Rebecca had this look on her face of Oh God! Not just once. It was pretty funny.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Andy is a product of his environment and demographic. He lectures the audience like a prof from the 1940's, which, in a way, he is. He is something of a "mansplainer," which, for his generation was (sort of) OK. He knows basketball, but broadcasting isn't his thing. I'd guess he has had little or no training or off-air coaching in use of the medium. I find him very hard to listen to, as others have likewise said. But I also feel a little sorry for him.

You mean Olde Coaches never die, they go into broadcasting?

Reaction Score
I like Landers when there are 3 people to deflect the topics and get to the meat of the stories. Unfortunately, that is his nature and he is enjoying himself this season.........People in the north speak and listen much faster than he is used to in GA.......

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
He is much more animated on the SEC telecasts. Probably because he knows that league better and he is usually paired with Nell Fortner.
I enjoy listening to Andy. He is not a rah-rah in your face cheerleader. Those types are a dime-a-dozen. Like Monte, I enjoy hearing his analysis from a coach's perspective and usually learn something about the game. If he is more engaging on the SEC network it's probably because of the fact that the SEC is much more entertaining than the AAC. And I think Andy's hair looks just fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom