Andy Katz: UConn's Glue Guy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz: UConn's Glue Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that views the term "glue guy" as a bit of a backhanded compliment? I know nothing negative is meant by it, but I dunno...it doesn't seem as complimentary as "really good player."

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If he can play defense nearly as well as Lyman, he will be remembered 35 years from now (and beyond).
I agree he will be a fan fav.

25 years and beyond would be better math

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm hopeful that his good defensive positioning and ability to close off the lane allows Brimah to stay with his man and get more rebounds.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that views the term "glue guy" as a bit of a backhanded compliment? I know nothing negative is meant by it, but I dunno...it doesn't seem as complimentary as "really good player."

I get what you mean, but if you think about it - by 'glue' it means that their contributions are what holds the team together. I usually think of it as a versatile player who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty all over on defense, and can do some of everything. It's a necessity to a good team. If you think about it, a 'glue' guy like Miller is really what we lacked last year. We didn't have a 4 who could grab rebounds a high clip, space the floor for other guys to drive the lane, be a reliable interior passer, etc. DHam could do a lot of that stuff, but we relied on him to be more of a primary scorer than filling that role. When you think about glue guys - Giffey always comes to mind. We couldn't have won that '14 championship without his versatility on defense, his ability to grab boards like a monster in the tournament, and his elite 3 point shooting (albeit was slightly off in the tourney). It might not always make you the big man on campus being a 'glue' guy, but I think the team recognizes the significant importance of all the contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom