Andy Katz: UConn's Glue Guy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz: UConn's Glue Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Not exactly. I thought it was Katz's opinion and I doubt Katz has actually seen our guys play together. I disagreed with the idea that someone who's hasn't seen Miller play with the rest of the team would know who the "glue guy" is . Considering it's Ollie's opinion, it makes more sense. I suspect Ollie has actually seen them play together.

So... you commented about the video without knowing what was on the video and who said it. But now, that you know what is on the video, you disagree with what you disagreed about.

Reaction Score
So... you commented about the video without knowing what was on the video and who said it. But now, that you know what is on the video, you disagree with what you disagreed about.

I don't think i could sum it up better. It probably won't be the last mistake i make.

Reaction Score
We do know what we are getting, though. A guy who has played in 85 D1 CBB games, with 1065 career points and 608 career rebounds. Much easier to anticipate what kind of contributions you'll get from a 5th year senior like Shonn Miller as opposed to a freshman, especially when Miller fills the glaring weakness that we've had over the last couple of years.

Must you always use facts?

Compare that to Nolan. who we definitely know what we are getting. No slight to Phil, just a 3 year record comparison.

Reaction Score
NDakotaHusky, some Ivy league kids can really play and Shonn Miller is one of them. There is a reason Illinois, Cal, Michigan and other were trying everything to get him. What Ollie did bringing in Gibbs and Miller to fill our most glaring weaknesses was a stroke of genius and is underrated by people outside of the UConn family.

Reaction Score
NDakotaHusky, some Ivy league kids can really play and Shonn Miller is one of them. There is a reason Illinois, Cal, Michigan and other were trying everything to get him. What Ollie did bringing in Gibbs and Miller to fill our most glaring weaknesses was a stroke of genius and is underrated by people outside of the UConn family.
Preaching to the choir

Reaction Score
Even though he was Ivy League he was able to play some big time schools on his schedule and perform well so I don't think there is much mystery as to what he can do. Not a great outside shooter though? We have players to shoot the 3 ball, and unless he shoots it like Giffeye which I don't expect he needs to do the more important work on the glass and on defense which I expect KO to highlight. He can score many other ways in our offense. The question is, did KO tell him he can be an outside 3 point shooter in his recruitment? In any case I think he will be big time for us. Any word on him from practice or scrimmage?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
everyone the rebounding machine Giffs turned into during the tourney run? I think this is a natural for Miller and it is one of biggest things missing last season

Reaction Score
Miller is a plus defender and plus rebounder who can score. He's going to want to score I think. I'm guessing he came here to try to make it to the league. He can hit mid to long range jump shots. If he can rebound, defend and also pull opposing players out of the paint to defend the fact that he can hit the three and longer jumpers he will help create passing/driving lanes for Gibbs, Purvis and Adams his value is almost limitless. I'm not saying we want him to shoot a lot of long range shots, just show it enough to pull opposing power forwards away from the basket. If they leave him open it looks like he can hit those shots. If they play out on him his athleticism will allow him to take them off the dribble which it looks like he can do also. I can't wait to see what he can do.

Reaction Score
I can't tell you how many games I watched last season where I would close my eyes and dream that when I opened them again that DeAndre Daniels would check into the game and save us.

I understand players have decisions to make, but I want to believe that DeAndre would take back his draft declaration if he knew he'd have to go on a safari and become a Perth Wildcat? If he doesn't have regrets, I have plenty for him.

Reaction Score
Miller put up his numbers covered as aa team leader. He'll get fewer looks but it will be much harder for teams to give him that defensive attention this year.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I can't tell you how many games I watched last season where I would close my eyes and dream that when I opened them again that DeAndre Daniels would check into the game and save us.

I understand players have decisions to make, but I want to believe that DeAndre would take back his draft declaration if he knew he'd have to go on a safari and become a Perth Wildcat? If he doesn't have regrets, I have plenty for him.
Unless you are DeAndre Daniels, you will never know whether it was the right decision. I can understand the sentiment, though.

Great moniker, by the way.

Reaction Score

Until you remember that he almost certainly made north of six figures and got to spend time in Australia. Not exactly purgatory.

Reaction Score
Until you remember that he almost certainly made north of six figures and got to spend time in Australia. Not exactly purgatory.

Australia can be much worse than purgatory

if_youre_scared_of_spiders_then_give_australia_a_miss_640_11.jpg

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
He chose to come to UConn. He could have gone to a lot of other schools. What difference if he could not play another year at Cornell?
If he could've stayed at Cornell he would've was his point. The only reason he transferred is because of the ivy league's rule, I believe he has stated this himself.

C

Chief00

Thrilled to have Miller's defense and rebounding and whatever offensive contribution he can make. But, I guess it depends on one's definition of glue guy - for me it's more Hamilton since his rebounding, passing, handle and scoring incorporate many facets of the game -but maybe he is considered more star than glue?
This is the type of topic Blanney and Calhoun could chew on for hours in the bunker LOL.

Reaction Score
His game is perfect for the transition and expectations of KO, the staff as well as the fans. This isn't a really superior athlete [laying against lesser Ivy Leaguers, this is a workhorse who comes ready to play and outworks his opponent. His game translates into any Div1 programs needs and we were lucky to get him. He will rebound the ball, he will defend and these are 2 things we lacked in a huge way from that spot on the floor. Will he score at the same rate as he did in the Ivy league? That remains to be answered but he will be a monster piece of this teams year no matter how his offense is. I do believe he knows how to get to the basket, he will make some mid range shots and he will live pretty well off the weakside on the offensive end via the put back.

Yeah he would have stayed at Cornell and that's a good thing because we know we have a loyal teammate who will stop at nothing to fight for his team. He's a Husky for a year and even in every picture I see him in, with his teammates he looks really happy he is. That's what counts and I think he will quickly become a fan favorite because most of us tend to root for the battlers, the lunchpail guys. He will be just that, and more. Think Lyman DePriest with size, better rebounding ability and can score it when needed. I know Lyman grew into our hearts without even scoring at all sometimes.

Reaction Score
I meant why he came to us, not why he left Cornell.
Exactly. He could have chosen to go almost anywhere but he chose UConn.

I don't think there's any reason to suggest he chose UConn because he wants to be a scorer. A winner and get big minutes? Sure, those are obvious reasons.

"All along, Miller had a pretty good idea of what he wanted: the chance to play major minutes for a winning program. Miller is an elite defensive player and a “monster defensive rebounder,” according to Courtney. “He just goes and gets it. He’s got an incredible knack.”
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20150508/shonn-miller-was-wanted-and-needed-at-uconn

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If he can play defense nearly as well as Lyman, he will be remembered 35 years from now (and beyond).
I agree he will be a fan fav.

Reaction Score
I could definitely see Miller being our glue guy. I see him averaging 8-10 points and 8-10 rebounds per game. I'm excited to see him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom