Andy Katz: UConn's Glue Guy | The Boneyard

Andy Katz: UConn's Glue Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Katz reporting on his conversation with Ollie -- claims Miller is this year's Giffey and glue guy.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Biggest missing piece last season was a player at the four position who could play lock down defense and contribute on the offensive end.

The possibility he can play some five when KO wants to have a small lineup is just icing on the cake.

Reaction Score
if he helps solidify the rebounding it makes sense, but it's still sort of an odd pick. he's never actually played a minute for us.

Reaction Score
Well I've seen him ranked as high as #1 overall defender in the country (yeah, it was Bleacher Report, big whoop, wanna fight about it?) so it makes sense to me that he will fill a huge void that we didn't have last year and be our glue guy. The team obviously needs to gel for it to work that way, but the guy can do it all offensively as well - he can drive to the basket and even has the occasional 3 ball in his arsenal.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They're talking about this upcoming season, which hasn't occurred yet. What difference does it make that he hasn't played for us yet?

And it's not like we are talking about a freshman or anything.

Reaction Score
They're talking about this upcoming season, which hasn't occurred yet. What difference does it make that he hasn't played for us yet?
it's not exactly the same thing, but I doubt Katz would pick a freshman as the "glue guy". Maybe Miller is a complete bust for us. We aren't really sure what we are getting. The same logic applies to the freshman.

Reaction Score
I said it shortly after he committed that Miller was going to be an important piece added to the team. His rebounding will make up for the lack of rebounding they've gotten from Brimah. I expect Brimah will be better this season but he's not going to turn into Moses Malone in 6 months.

I also like that Miller is athletic and strong enough to guard the 2 through the 5 on the other team. I think that will be a key weapon. In almost any game Ollie can put him on the best scorer on the other team (assuming that scorer isn't a point guard).

I like players that can do 1 or 2 things very well and know their role. We don't need Miller to score much. Just defend and rebound. Having a guy like Jake Voskuhl, for instance, is important to successful teams.

Reaction Score
it's not exactly the same thing, but I doubt Katz would pick a freshman as the "glue guy". Maybe Miller is a complete bust for us. We aren't really sure what we are getting. The same logic applies to the freshman.
We do know what we are getting, though. A guy who has played in 85 D1 CBB games, with 1065 career points and 608 career rebounds. Much easier to anticipate what kind of contributions you'll get from a 5th year senior like Shonn Miller as opposed to a freshman, especially when Miller fills the glaring weakness that we've had over the last couple of years.

Reaction Score
We do know what we are getting, though. A guy who has played in 85 D1 CBB games, with 1065 career points and 608 career rebounds. Much easier to anticipate what kind of contributions you'll get from a 5th year senior like Shonn Miller as opposed to a freshman.
Makes sense

Reaction Score
champ 1.jpg
You should really stop posting for a while.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
not really sure why you are saying this. My only response is, the next time I tell you or anyone else how to post or when to post will be the first
Others have you covered with him.

Reaction Score
@NDakotaHusky it wasn't Katz' pick, it was Ollie's which makes the insight even better. And from the tape that @tcf15 put together from last year at Cornell and the highlights from the pro am it's pretty obvious that he's someone who makes everyone around him better.

It's what I thought when I first saw him on film in June.

I didn't realize it was Ollie's pick. That makes a more sense. I'm so predisposed to disagree with whatever the ESPN "gurus" say I didn't even watch the clip.

Reaction Score
We aren't really sure what we are getting. The same logic applies to the freshman.
Yeah, just nothing to work with here, you know, besides the three years of college ball he has already played.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I didn't realize it was Ollie's pick. That makes a more sense. I'm so predisposed to disagree with whatever the ESPN "gurus" say I didn't even watch the clip.

You disagreed with what Ollie said before you it was Ollie. Gotcha.

Reaction Score
Well I've seen him ranked as high as #1 overall defender in the country (yeah, it was Bleacher Report, big whoop, wanna fight about it?) so it makes sense to me that he will fill a huge void that we didn't have last year and be our glue guy. The team obviously needs to gel for it to work that way, but the guy can do it all offensively as well - he can drive to the basket and even has the occasional 3 ball in his arsenal.

Liked for the Paddy Tanager reference.

Reaction Score
You disagreed with what Ollie said before you it was Ollie. Gotcha.
Not exactly. I thought it was Katz's opinion and I doubt Katz has actually seen our guys play together. I disagreed with the idea that someone who's hasn't seen Miller play with the rest of the team would know who the "glue guy" is . Considering it's Ollie's opinion, it makes more sense. I suspect Ollie has actually seen them play together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom