Andy Katz Top 10 CBB Rivalries | The Boneyard

Andy Katz Top 10 CBB Rivalries

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
1. Since when the hell did Marquette become our #1 rival?

2. It sucks that our rivalry with Syracuse doesn’t make lists like these anymore.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Creighton or Nova, maybe. Haven't really been in the new league long enough to match the OBE rivalries.

Reaction Score
I would say Villanova is a Bigger Rival than Marquette
Location is closer both are truly Eastern Teams
A 33 year history vs 10 year.
We even played Nova when we we in the AAC
2014 NCAA Tourney
Home and Away
2017 , 2018
Both teams have won multiple NC this century . A no brainer .
So even apart we’ve gotten together . The only other old Big East team we played was Syracuse 3-4 times and GT home and Away
I Don’t recall anyone screaming for a game with Marquette .
PC is our oldest conference Rival as the series dates to the 1940’s
UMass , RI , BC and Holy Cross were traditional NE Rivals
Cincinnati with Mick was our only Real AAC Rival , Memphis/ Houston a distant second For some reason Temple never got to where should be .

Reaction Score
Every time Andy Katz puts one of his top 10 lists out he loses more and more credibility imo

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
They know they need to have UConn on these lists, but there's no one credible to put us with. So they go with another top Big East team. Marquette? Sure

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
For me it's Creighton but it's not a long-standing rivalry. Could just as easily say that every team that wants to knock us off the top of the mountain is a rival.

Reaction Score
Who would you put as Uconn's top rival in the 2023-2024 season then as?
Villanova. If Neptune doesn't completely suck, it'll be UConn and Nova competing for that top spot in the Big East pretty much every year.

Also, there's some good potential for St Johns to become a fun rival depending on how long Pitino sticks around.

Same with Georgetown and Cooley. If he can turn them back into 2000's Georgetown, that rivalry will reignite

Reaction Score
Villanova. If Neptune doesn't completely suck, it'll be UConn and Nova competing for that top spot in the Big East pretty much every year.

Also, there's some good potential for St Johns to become a fun rival depending on how long Pitino sticks around.

Same with Georgetown and Cooley. If he can turn them back into 2000's Georgetown, that rivalry will reignite
And Marquette and Creighton and Xavier...

The league is just really tough.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Who would you put as Uconn's top rival in the 2023-2024 season then as?
I get more excited about the Creighton and Nova games than Marquette tbh.

This season especially I’m excited about playing St John’s and Georgetown. Understand it’s way too soon to put them on this list yet though.

There’s just no kind of animosity or history with Marquette I feel like outside of them winning the Big East last year.

Our rivalry with Providence is more like a little annoying brother rivalry.

Reaction Score
I get more excited about the Creighton and Nova games than Marquette tbh.

This season especially I’m excited about playing St John’s and Georgetown. Understand it’s way too soon to put them on this list yet though.

There’s just no kind of animosity or history with Marquette I feel like outside of them winning the Big East last year.

Our rivalry with Providence is more like a little annoying brother rivalry.
What's the animosity and history with Creighton? We've only shared a conference with them for 4 seasons, we've shared a conference with Marquette for 12 seasons.

Reaction Score
If Jay Wright doesn’t retire than it’s Villanova. Neptune is unproven and hasn’t had a healthy squad for a full season yet….Marquette? Maybe in a couple of years if they can prove that last year wasn’t an outlier (which I don’t think it will be). The Creighton games are always tough, but I can’t seem to reconcile the Creighton as a National brand. Also, they’re in Omaha!?! That gives me flashbacks of when I thought Gregg Marshall and Wichita were going to be our new rivals in the AAC

Reaction Score
I would like to see the rivalry between Villanova and us get stronger. I’d also like to see a bottom half of the top 25 Georgetown team develop into a rivalry where we knock them out of tournaments each year. I really don’t like Cooley and now that he left Providence the way he did it’s hard for me to feel that same hatred toward a scorned Providence team.

Reaction Score
I would like to see the rivalry between Villanova and us get stronger. I’d also like to see a bottom half of the top 25 Georgetown team develop into a rivalry where we knock them out of tournaments each year. I really don’t like Cooley and now that he left Providence the way he did it’s hard for me to feel that same hatred toward a scorned Providence team.

Have you interacted with Providence fans? Cooley being there or not doesn't matter to me.

Reaction Score
Have you interacted with Providence fans? Cooley being there or not doesn't matter to me.
Honestly no not at all. I’ll pause that comment until I can evaluate further. I just assumed deep down they knew they weren’t at our level. I did enjoy knowing they didn’t want us back in the big east though.

Reaction Score
Given the history, the top 10 rankings and Cooper Flagg, you could credibly say Duke
Maybe it’s my age group but I would still feel more satisfied stomping Syracuse than I would Duke. I’d welcome the coverage we’d get from the latter but it always feels good when Syracuse fans suffer. I wish this was a yearly OOC series

Reaction Score
I'd argue that Nova is our longest standing rival.

But, I can't stand Marquette and their mighty mouse of a coach in Smart. They play hard, slightly dirty, and know how to get inside your skin.

Also, Happy to replace Marquette in the rankings with Xavier. I love rooting against Sean Miller whenever the chance arises. Remembering the clock & timeout antics during the second game last year, I imagine the excitement between Hurley & Miller is just getting started.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What's the animosity and history with Creighton? We've only shared a conference with them for 4 seasons, we've shared a conference with Marquette for 12 seasons.
Up until this past season they’ve had our number it seemed like while in the NBE.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom