Andy Katz discusses UConn at Atlantis | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz discusses UConn at Atlantis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Top4 in the AAC can play with the top4 in any conference in 2015-16. As long as the BearCats do their part and smack down the Cyclones the AAC will have 4 Sweet16 caliber teams and 2 or 3 serious contenders for the Final4. The conference took a hit when AN left Memphis but our top4 can throw a very serious knockout punch at anytime against anyone.

Next year may be another story...

JMHO

Reaction Score
I would rather enter the Tournament at #1 and the overwhelming favorite.

This isn't like an ambush, where being unnoticed and having the element of surprise is an asset.

If we're going to be underrated in November, I would rather that misperception be rectified in December, with questions about our staying power answered resoundingly in January and February. I would rather not stumble through the regular season again and hope to catch lightning in a bottle in mid-March.

This isn't college football, though, so public opinion doesn't matter as much (is it still a recruiting boon to be ranked in the top ten all season, sure).

People love the phrase "catch lightening in a bottle," but is that really what happened? Because that logic would tend to ignore the development curve of the regular season, the curve that college basketball is predicated on more than any other sport if for no other reason than that every team is in it until the last second. I had a lot of questions about Duke's staying power when they were getting trashed at home by Miami last year, but that didn't matter much when they were winning the title. And yes, I know they were a one seed and in contention all season, but the pattern of tribulation and then gradually gaining strength from it is familiar to all college basketball teams, and it is one I would argue is far more important than where you are ranked in January or even February.

We're discussing 19-22 year old kids, and so the drilling of essential habits tend to resonate a lot more in defeat than in victory. By no means do I hope we're 17-15 going into the tournament again, but we play a very tough schedule and we are going to lose games.

C

Chief00

The Top4 in the AAC can play with the top4 in any conference in 2015-16. As long as the BearCats do their part and smack down the Cyclones the AAC will have 4 Sweet16 caliber teams and 2 or 3 serious contenders for the Final4. The conference took a hit when AN left Memphis but our top4 can throw a very serious knockout punch at anytime against anyone.

Next year may be another story...

JMHO
I would like to believe the AAC has 3 serious contenders for the F4 but Chief must be frank with the fans - that won't happen.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
I would like to believe the AAC has 3 serious contenders for the F4 but Chief must be frank with the fans - that won't happen.

Oh man I'm totally digging the in 3rd person schtick you've adopted Chief. Never content to rest on your laurels, you perpetually innovate.

Reaction Score
The operative words are "contender" and "2 or 3". :)

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
If we want the recognition that everyone on this board thinks we deserve, the worst we can do in these games is go 4-1. Not saying we shouldn't be a top 25 team if we go 3-2 and are sitting at 10-2, but many here think we are a top 5/10 team (and I agree, talent wise). To get the respect we want, go 4-1 in those games.

Agree on all accounts, except the last part - and I think that's what is most frustrating. Whether it's voters unfamiliarity with our new talent, bias against a supposed weak AAC, or a combination of both, we're UConn dammit. All these other schools get the benefit of the doubt, and we still get very little respect despite what we've done. Seeing teams like Dayton, Syracuse, BC, and Siena in Katz's early top 25 (especially those last two) and not even mentioning us - that's a ridiculous oversight. I'm not saying we should be fawned over like UK or Duke, but we have to go 10-2 to be top 15 ... we're treated like a Mid-Major and we're not.

Reaction Score
First of all, the great thing about sports is that you actually have to play. Predictions mean nothing. If predictions float someone's boat, so far as I understand math (not a strength), Top 20 could be anywhere from 1 to 20, so it's picking a fight where there isn't one to say Katz should be riding the BY bandwagon. We all have great expectations, but the parts still have to work together and of all the great point guards we've had, only one was really ready to drive the bus from day one and that was a long time ago. It will great if Adams can jump in and lead from the get go.
I agree. Predictions are like when you were in High School and you talked about how good you were in bed with women. Sure it makes you feel good and some are foolish enough to believe you but at the end of the day all the talk didnt matter when Tina sweet ti.t.s dropped her pants on prom night.

Reaction Score
If you like it or not, preseason polls do matter. If you start unranked, it will take UConn going nearly undefeated in the early season to be ranked. If you start ranked, you can afford a couple of losses.
UConn has the skill to go far in the NCAA tournament, but can't rely on winning from a 7th seed. We need to be a top 3-4 seed, like everyone else

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When it comes to UConn basketball and the polls - it's where you finish up at the end that counts and UConn has finished #1 four times since 1999
Are there any other teams that can claim that honor?
I've decided that the poll watching just ends up giving me an ulcer - I'm done with it

Reaction Score
I agree. Predictions are like when you were in High School and you talked about how good you were in bed with women. Sure it makes you feel good and some are foolish enough to believe you but at the end of the day all the talk didnt matter when Tina sweet ti.t.s dropped her pants on prom night.

Why was your prom date wearing pants?

Gblow8690

The So Called Troll
Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong I hope we can be a top 10 team but let's be realistic about the team. We lost our heart and soul in Boatwright and that's hard to replace. Adams will be good but just a frosh and not a frosh that is a lottery pick after a year. I like the transfers bit they didn't play for top 10 level teams. I just feel your hyping the team up to much and will end up being disappointed in the end. I do think this team will be more competitive than last year with more depth but I am a realist and this team is no top 10 team during the first half of the year. Maybe over the course of the year they grow into a top 10 team but def not the beginning of the season.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong I hope we can be a top 10 team but let's be realistic about the team. We lost our heart and soul in Boatwright and that's hard to replace. Adams will be good but just a frosh and not a frosh that is a lottery pick after a year. I like the transfers bit they didn't play for top 10 level teams. I just feel your hyping the team up to much and will end up being disappointed in the end. I do think this team will be more competitive than last year with more depth but I am a realist and this team is no top 10 team during the first half of the year. Maybe over the course of the year they grow into a top 10 team but def not the beginning of the season.

While BoatRight was out heart and soul for the most part we replace his piece with a very worthy PG, maybe even more of a PG that Boat was. We didn't lose a step there from what I can see it's on the improvement and consistency of the remains pieces, all of them and also where a guy like Jalen Adams fits into the chemistry. It would be crazy not to think Millers rebounding and defensive ability doesn't project as a major improvement out of a slot that didn't do too much. Hopefully Rodney is more like last 3rd and DHam grows with age as expected while Amida jumps up at least another notch just because.

Not expecting Top 10 or even 20 to start I agree but I also see where some can be very excited.

Reaction Score
While BoatRight was out heart and soul for the most part we replace his piece with a very worthy PG, maybe even more of a PG that Boat was. We didn't lose a step there from what I can see it's on the improvement and consistency of the remains pieces, all of them and also where a guy like Jalen Adams fits into the chemistry. It would be crazy not to think Millers rebounding and defensive ability doesn't project as a major improvement out of a slot that didn't do too much. Hopefully Rodney is more like last 3rd and DHam grows with age as expected while Amida jumps up at least another notch just because.

Not expecting Top 10 or even 20 to start I agree but I also see where some can be very excited.
Agree, we have the players (roster wise) the key in all of this is the unity, cohesiveness, leadership and all the intangibles that have to be worked out. Ollie has a hellava task on his hands. With that said, I see Omar, Nolan (off court) and perhaps Purvis as being vital to the solution. Brimah and Facey are juniors so many have played together but with separate/different leaders (Bazz and Boat) both who commanded respect and where schooled by masters.

Both Bazz and Kemba weathered in-season storms, some major, who will be the Captain at the helm in tough times?

A winning record could be misleading, as other teams improve over the season, some even catching up. It may take a while to get it right but we should know what we have team-wise by mid-January. Regardless though we can expect to see exciting basketball, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom