Andre will be the nightmare of opposing team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre will be the nightmare of opposing team

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah they really do need to prepare for him. In all the ways you just mentioned, but I also feel that weirdly he is the "head of the dragon"on offense for us too. We are so unique in that manner. Some smart opposing coach will focus on taking him out of the game from a running and pushing point of view and make our guards handle and bring up. It probably won't work because we have so many unique answers, but as the season progresses I think people will realize he is the internal combustion engine of our squad and see what happens when trying to take him out, seeing as all the other "scouts" that opponents have tried (Im sure most center around Sanogo) have been ineffective.

We really are a handful to try and play. I love it

Part of that head of the dragon dilemma is a lot of his touches start with a UConn defensive rebound and outlet pass to him. Run the risk of putting a defender in the backcourt to deny him the ball and you run the risk of leaving someone open in the front court for a transition basket.

That's what makes him difficult to stop. There isn't a "normal" point of entry for him running the offense. Also, if you put your best perimeter/wing defender on him full court, you now have to put your second best defender on Newton and I think Newton is better than most team's #2 perimeter defender. We go back to Bazz and Boat because we had two elite perimeter defenders who could shut down the offense no matter who was starting it. that is still rare in CBB.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Part of that head of the dragon dilemma is a lot of his touches start with a UConn defensive rebound and outlet pass to him. Run the risk of putting a defender in the backcourt to deny him the ball and you run the risk of leaving someone open in the front court for a transition basket.

That's what makes him difficult to stop. There isn't a "normal" point of entry for him running the offense. Also, if you put your best perimeter/wing defender on him full court, you now have to put your second best defender on Newton and I think Newton is better than most team's #2 perimeter defender. We go back to Bazz and Boat because we had two elite perimeter defenders who could shut down the offense no matter who was starting it. that is still rare in CBB.

That's true, but when he isn't pulling boards himself he seems to be the primary outlet for bigs, which is unusual and awesome. It is a pick your poison deal. Newton is certainly a capable guard, but he isn't Andre when on the move getting us from our defensive 3 point line to our offensive 3 point line, and Newton has shown a propensity to be susceptible to traps. Newton may very well handle it, but if I was an opposing coach, I would at least test it and see. That's all I'm saying. We may just end up surgically picking them apart in a a 1/2 court game. Andre sets the pace of our offense though, not Newton. Newton can't play at Andres pace (not really many people in NCAA can) so Newton as the 2nd option forced to be first, changes our look, even if that look in response ends up being successful.

We are a hard team to play. I love it.

Reaction Score
That's true, but when he isn't pulling boards himself he seems to be the primary outlet for bigs, which is unusual and awesome. It is a pick your poison deal. Newton is certainly a capable guard, but he isn't Andre when on the move getting us from our defensive 3 point line to our offensive 3 point line, and Newton has shown a propensity to be susceptible to traps. Newton may very well handle it, but if I was an opposing coach, I would at least test it and see. That's all I'm saying. We may just end up surgically picking them apart in a a 1/2 court game. Andre sets the pace of our offense though, not Newton. Newton can't play at Andres pace (not really many people in NCAA can) so Newton as the 2nd option forced to be first, changes our look, even if that look in response ends up being successful.

We are a hard team to play. I love it.
All of these are reasons why I'm very curious to see what Shaka will do against UConn.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Would love to see Andre use his athleticism to get to the rim. His handle is good enough to drive it, not sure why he doesn't try to get to the rim more.

There was a play vs Butler where Andre was uncovered on the perimeter, and it took him a few seconds before he realized, and took it to the rim. Unfortunately, the slight hesitation allowed a defender to recover and he had to double-clutch at the rim and missed.

If he can have a mentality of driving to get to the rim, only good things would happen... either get contact and go to the line, or draw a defender and use his great vision to dish it at the rim or kick-out to a shooter.

Reaction Score
I want to rewatch the play again because when he drove I remember him having plenty of run way and taking the right steps this time but I could be wrong. He needs to find a way though because it would elevate his game so much and help his career. I’m not sure how he even has this issue in the first place.

It’s weird cause I never remember us having so many problems finishing around the basket (which outside of Bouknight has been a problem for every guard we’ve had over the years). Is it because everyone is so focused on 3s nowadays?
He jumps a little early this time too. But obviously early is relevant. He had a wide open lane to the basket and had a good head of steam there's no real reason not to jump early except ...

Manny Bates comes from the back/side and makes a good play on the ball in the air. In this case there wasn't really a body for him to make contact with. The body is on his right at full wingspan away and the basket to his front left. But because he's right-handed the ball is on his right so it's vulnerable.

Bates covered a lot of ground and is kind of whaley-esque with his long arms and quick feet. Jackson likely did not think he was going to be able to get there in a bang bang moment. And Bates would not have been able to get to the rim, but he was able to meet the ball in the air.

Reaction Score
Yeah they really do need to prepare for him. In all the ways you just mentioned, but I also feel that weirdly he is the "head of the dragon"on offense for us too. We are so unique in that manner. Some smart opposing coach will focus on taking him out of the game from a running and pushing point of view and make our guards handle and bring up. It probably won't work because we have so many unique answers, but as the season progresses I think people will realize he is the internal combustion engine of our squad and see what happens when trying to take him out, seeing as all the other "scouts" that opponents have tried (Im sure most center around Sanogo) have been ineffective.

A couple things happened there. Andre hesitated before driving, you could see the split second thought on "should I take the 3?" That allowed just enough recovery time for defender.

Also, and I think I've seen it discussed on here before, Andre is so athletic, but he seems to take off a step too early when he goes to the rack and then hangs in the air making finishes more difficult.

Don't know how to address that. Don't know if we need to. He is playing so well in all the facets we need him to excel in that it just doesn't matter to me.
Everyone talks about how Andre can't shoot but it's more than that. He really has no idea how to score.

I have accepted the fact that he will never learn how to put the ball in the hoop but who cares when the rest of his game is superior. He only makes the team better every minute his is on the court. What a joy to watch!

Reaction Score
Would love to see Andre use his athleticism to get to the rim. His handle is good enough to drive it, not sure why he doesn't try to get to the rim more.

There was a play vs Butler where Andre was uncovered on the perimeter, and it took him a few seconds before he realized, and took it to the rim. Unfortunately, the slight hesitation allowed a defender to recover and he had to double-clutch at the rim and missed.

If he can have a mentality of driving to get to the rim, only good things would happen... either get contact and go to the line, or draw a defender and use his great vision to dish it at the rim or kick-out to a shooter.
Did you really just repeat the convo in the previous 28 post of this thread?

Reaction Score

I agree that’s why he tied for most minutes last game but only had a few points. At the end of the day who Hurley feels adds value, he gives minutes to.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I agree that’s why he tied for most minutes last game but only had a few points. At the end of the day who Hurley feels adds value, he gives minutes to.
Andre is the X factor and weirdest high value player the mathematicians with the analytics can’t assign a number to, not just this season but college hoops history.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
He can get to the rim. He has an outside shot.

He is, however, the straw that stirs the drink. As an extraordinary distributor, he allows everyone else to get to their spot, and gets the ball there for another assist.

We are best, I think, when he just helps teammates fill up the stat sheet.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
He can get to the rim. He has an outside shot.

He is, however, the straw that stirs the drink. As an extraordinary distributor, he allows everyone else to get to their spot, and gets the ball there for another assist.

We are best, I think, when he just helps teammates fill up the stat sheet.
I dont even believe his assist numbers (which are great) show how true that is.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been mentioned, since his arrival at UConn, his game has taken a major shift to more defensive oriented, whether it’s rebounding, block, or perimeter guarding , maybe due to Hurley? I mean it’s not like he did not attack the rim or scared of contacts before. I vividly remembered his dunking highlights from his high school, and to be honest, I’d like to see more of those like with his athletic superiority.

Reaction Score
Andre is the X factor and weirdest high value player the mathematicians with the analytics can’t assign a number to, not just this season but college hoops history.
Doesn't KenPom rate him as the best player on the team and 4th in the country?

Reaction Score
I dont even believe his assist numbers (which are great) show how true that is.

In the 6 games since Oregon

7.3 PTS
7.3 REB
4.8 AST

1.0 TO
1.1 BLK
1.3 STL

9/10 from the line

Kid is inhumanly good at everything in the game except putting the ball in the hole. He's an enigma.

4.8 AST and 1.0 TO for a 6'7 guard is really, really (really really) good. You rarely see that kind of production.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
In the 6 games since Oregon

7.3 PTS
7.3 REB
4.8 AST

1.0 TO
1.1 BLK
1.3 STL

9/10 from the line

Kid is inhumanly good at everything in the game except putting the ball in the hole. He's an enigma.

4.8 AST and 1.0 TO for a 6'7 guard is really, really (really really) good. You rarely see that kind of production.

Totally agree with that as forward stats , that's my point , but he's not not getting 7.0 Assists a game............... it just seems like it. Which is a further testament to what he's doing for us to win games. Even those gaudy numbers you posted don't measure his value in my opinion.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Totally agree with that as forward stats , that's my point , but he's not not getting 7.0 Assists a game............... it just seems like it. Which is a further testament to what he's doing for us to win games. Even those gaudy numbers you posted don't measure his value in my opinion.
AJ stands out on this team because he is surrounded by so much talent. And the players who recognize his leadership quality and buy into it. It allows him to do what he enjoys most and what he is a savant at doing which is to facilitate plays and playmaking. He does those things at a speed and reaction time that very are capable of.

He's not the player you build a team around if you're a NBA GM. He's the player that if you have a good team with many good players will make all those players much better than they are and the team much better than it could by almost any other additions.

Reaction Score
He’s a terrible shooter, so scoring a lot of points is out of the equation.

If he sticks to what his athleticism allows him to do, he should be appreciated for that and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Ne needs pull up shot and with his technique its hard to get off. He can take and make threes when open. A few times he drove to the rim and if he had the ability to pull up and hit the jumper, it would open up things for him.

Reaction Score
Like it or not even with his ability to throw passes and rebound, there will be games we need him to score or when on offense he can hurt you. He needs to bring that into his game as we play better teams or they won't guard him people like Sanogo, Hawkins will get doubled. Make them pay for not guarding you get to the hole.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
One of the vids i saw over the weeked he was shooting a three in warmups. I wouldn't call his form perfect, but it was startlingly clean. No shot putt. Nice follow though. I took it as a sign that he and one of the assistants have been working on his form from deep.

Reaction Score
He's not a terrible shooter.

He plays AWESOME defense.

He distributes the ball as well as any wing/forward to put on a UConn uni.

He is fitting perfectly into the flow of the game.

Whatever he scores is a bonus.

If he were to force more shots, then our chances of being elite go down.

Anyone wanting anything different is not thinking team-ball.
Last sentence- perhaps we like him so much that we want him to do well in the NBA, and scoring more will enhance his chances there

Reaction Score
Andre not only makes the correct pass... he is also insanely good at making the pass exactly where his teammates want the ball. Hawkins particularly has benefited from Andre pinpoints into his shooting pocket and if I had to guess at least a third of his threes have come from Andre's dimes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I love that Andre always fouls on those crazy blocks but the refs are too mystified to realize it. He’s one of the only people in the world who can attempt it.

Reaction Score
The thing with Andre is he isn't that bad of a shooter. Off the dribble is where it seems he is just not composed enough to make threes but when he is receiving the ball and sets his feet, or stops and sets his feet he seems to make it more often than we think. Curious to see the stats between those 2 differences in his shooting

Reaction Score
I love that Andre always fouls on those crazy blocks but the refs are too mystified to realize it. He’s one of the only people in the world who can attempt it.
One of those crazy blocks I thought was a foul live but on replay the guy was actually using his off hand to push off and Andre still got up and blocked it without much body contact. You can pause right at the block and see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom