Andre Jackson returning for 2 seasons | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson returning for 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If it was a one time comment I can see that. But this is not the first time he's made a comment like this. I'll have to try and find the article but there was a comment from a weeks ago talking about Jackson staying for his full eligibility. Glossed over it at the time but now it's come up multiple times
Here's the article. I love his enthusiasm for this program university and happy that the fanbase has finally started to appreciate him as a player again and credit him and staff for making him a better player.

That being said, if any team says they are interested him late first round after this year (or next for that matter) I know Hurley will tell him to go and he should.

I don't view these comments as a firm commitment but would obviously love him to come back

I view the goal of this program to win championships and get guys to the next level. I know Hurley has been and continue to be a great advisor to him and look out for his best interests so I know Andre will do what's best for him.

He has been an incredible ambassador for this university and so happy he chose the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the NIL money is a big part of this decision. If he can get close or make up for any income he'd make overseas, there's no reason to leave.

That being said, we need to relentlessly recruit shooters. Next year, we may have only 1 40%ish shooter on the team that sees minutes (Karaban). Castle, Stewart, Ball are all streaky and low 30s. Ross is probably not playing.... spacing will be a concern.
I thought Stewart was known for his shooting?

Reaction Score
Obviously, Andre coming back improves the outlook greatly. On paper, that looks like a starting five of Clingan, Karaban, Jackson, Alleyne and Castle. With a bench of Diarra, hopefully Johnson and the other frosh. If Castle is who many hope he is, that’s a heck of a starting five.
Is Alleyne really coming back? Or are people just guessing based on his relationship with Castle?

Reaction Score
I doubt Jackson means two years. Just another way of saying he will be back next year. He will hone in his skills and declare for the draft next year. Jackson is not going anywhere but the NBA. Every skill he lacks can be worked on. His athletics is off the charts and he already knows how to use that.
I don't see Jackson making the NBA. He lacks the biggest skill you need shooting. Nice kid and works his ass off and proud he is on the team but even he realizes he is G-league or Euro at best so why not keep enjoying UCONN with good NIL agreements.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Just another case of Jackson saying and doing the right things. He has worked on his deficiencies and continues to get better. He bleeds blue and selfishly I hope he stays for the two more years he has left, but realistically with his work ethic and determination he may only need one.

Reaction Score
I thought Stewart was known for his shooting?

He's a volume shooter that takes pretty tough attempts, but not an excellent shooter (yet). He shot 31% in EYBL.

Ross shot 35%... I think by the time he's an upperclassmen, could be a Polley-esque shooter.
Solo shot 25%

I can't find Castle's stats on UA, but I'd guess he was in the 30-33% range. He was hot an cold in AAU, absolutely terrible at USA basketball. The jury is probably still out on his likely shooting %.

Karaban shot 36% from deep in AAU in 8 games in 2021 fwiw.

Reaction Score
Apart from the overall goal of winning games there are always 2 subplots I follow: the progression of AJ and NA. I hope they both come back. They are what I love about college ball. I also agree with @husky429 We need solid shooters next year. Ross doesnt appear to be that guy yet and I hope NA smooths it out if he stays

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I wonder if the NIL money is a big part of this decision. If he can get close or make up for any income he'd make overseas, there's no reason to leave.

That being said, we need to relentlessly recruit shooters. Next year, we may have only 1 40%ish shooter on the team that sees minutes (Karaban). Castle, Stewart, Ball are all streaky and low 30s. Ross is probably not playing.... spacing will be a concern.
NIL yes but I also would add in that he might look forward to mentoring and playing with next years incoming. Andre may be looking at a coaching career

Reaction Score
Starting-caliber SG who is a lights out shooter from the portal instead of Alleyne. We have enough size, rebounding, athleticism and passing that we don't need to worry about those so much. Find some guy who's a lights out shooter from a <.500 P5 school that wants a shot at Final Four. There are PLENTY of guys like that available.

AJ Storr is one that comes to mind if he leaves SJU.

I wonder what hurleys preference would be. I know he values continuity and culture. Would he prefer a lights out shooter or alleyne being here and knowing what coach wants and needs. I would also hope alleyne could be a little more consistent next season after that ice cold start this year.

Reaction Score
I think you're underestimating Ross. It seems he is beginning to add muscle and confidence to his thin frame. A year from now, think he's playing.
I think we have 3 Top 50 coming in next year? And yes, don’t underestimate Ball and Ross plus we have 2 other highly ranked freshmen coming in besides Top 10 Castle.

Reaction Score
I think we have 3 Top 50 coming in next year? And yes, don’t underestimate Ball and Ross plus we have 2 other highly ranked freshmen coming in besides Top 10 Castle.

On3 and (247) composite rankings...

Castle: 8 (10)
Ball: 51 (44)
Stewart: 66 (64)
Ross: 102 (124)
Singare: 139 (132)

Castle is obviously an immediate contributor. Solo is due for a rankings bump and I think he gets great minutes.

Stewart will probably back up Karaban. It will be a HUGE playing style adjustment for him, so it's hard to say what he'll accomplish.

I don't think Ross or Singare will do much. Ross may just because he's a great shooter and we're short 2 shooters to reach our ceiling right now.

caw

Reaction Score
I think you're underestimating Ross. It seems he is beginning to add muscle and confidence to his thin frame. A year from now, think he's playing.

I think Ross may be a very good sophomore player but he seems to still be adjusting to his body. I have high expectations for him but they are longer term. For all the freshmen, remember Hawk only averaged around 5-6 PPG as a freshmen last year. The great thing is the freshmen may be stepping into a team with the best starting front court in the country (Karaban, Jackson, Clingan).

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I think Ross may be a very good sophomore player but he seems to still be adjusting to his body. I have high expectations for him but they are longer term. For all the freshmen, remember Hawk only averaged around 5-6 PPG as a freshmen last year. The great thing is the freshmen may be stepping into a team with the best starting front court in the country (Karaban, Jackson, Clingan).
Yea I think it’s safer to assume that only Castle is ready to play a lot year

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I don't see Jackson making the NBA. He lacks the biggest skill you need shooting. Nice kid and works his ass off and proud he is on the team but even he realizes he is G-league or Euro at best so why not keep enjoying UCONN with good NIL agreements.
In the NBA, the lanes will be more open for his amazing dunks. Forget shooting.

Reaction Score
We need a PG for the roster next year.
I think so too but it looks like Hurley is giving Castle the keys and we can expect Jackson to start alongside him. Jackson is great pushing it, passing, and handles well but as we've all seen he's much better when we have him near the hoop with Karaban on the perimeter. Castle, Jackson, a stud shooting transfer, Karaban, and Clingan does sound like a filthy starting 5.

Reaction Score
The timing of your post is interesting in light of the fact that recently he has been going to the basket much more. Perhaps he becomes really good at it next season.
haha as I was writing it I was thinking that he did take it to the hoop a couple times against DePaul and even had two post ups. It was certainly new.

Reaction Score
haha as I was writing it I was thinking that he did take it to the hoop a couple times against DePaul and even had two post ups. It was certainly new.

Andre has some real potential working from the short corner and dunker spot--especially on the right side. That's a pretty new piece of our offense during our resurgence. He's going to look GREAT there after an off-season to work on his reads and quick post-ups

Reaction Score
Castle--- Diarra
Transfer- Ball
Jackson- Ross---- Roumoglou
Karaban- Stewart- Hasson
Clingan- Johnson- Singare

if alleyne and/or newton wanna come back will have to make room for them

Reaction Score
Doesn’t Newton have his Covid year still? He is a decent shooter and PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom