Andre Jackson is Staying in the Draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson is Staying in the Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
selfish move.
4C4D464E-B2A5-472F-9755-385BE607AF0A.gif

Reaction Score
Man, I really hope so. I absolutely love the kid but I'm bracing for him being a second round pick. I desperately hope a team has fallen in love with him enough as a player and person that they use a first round pick on him and we see him get some serious playing time next season.

I want him to make it as badly as any kid I can remember, he's just an awesome person with unique athleticism and game. He will be a big part of the UConn family for years to come and I pray I'm hearing UConn references as he's leading fastbreaks in the NBA next season.

Right, and it is probably even more than that. As a GM, do you want to spend a 1st round pick on a kid that needs heavy development and likely won't be a good NBA player until his 2nd contract, and maybe not even for your team?

Reaction Score
Nearly a top 50 recruit and maybe the best raw athlete of his class.

Injured for part of his freshman year, took a while to get going but eventually became part of the bench rotation.

Started sophomore year but again clearly behind some key guys, and was still learning to refine his game.

Team captain junior year, came out with energy and passion and a love for the game. Gave 100% on both ends of the floor. Had some glaring weaknesses and became nearly unplayable as other teams schemed against him. But he bought in to what his coach was telling him, found ways to impact the game, and broke out to be a leader of a championship run.

From unplayable, to NCAA champion, to NBA draft pick all within a 5-6 month span. Andre Jackson is the ultimate case study on how to maximize your opportunities by buying into your team and giving it everything you have

Reaction Score
Very easy to root for and probably the right decision given that his stock isn't realistically going to improve that much -- if he came back and was basically the same guy (elite athleticism, good floor game, but still can't or won't shoot) he'd go undrafted as a senior. The iron is as hot as it's going to get right now.

I hope he can stick as a glue guy somewhere.

Reaction Score
GM's use 1st round picks on a kids that need heavy development every year.

Consider that Andre needs more development than most. Vecenie and Spinella made this point on some Game Theory podcast and I thought it made sense. They likened his development trajectory to a guy like Gary Payton III. His shot needs to be completely rebuilt and he probably isn’t playable until it is at least meh and that is different than “raw.”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It makes sense though. Everyone has always loved the kid. He does things the right way, he's a leader, he absolutely loves UConn, and he helped UConn win a championship.

It's easy to overlook the clear deficiencies in ones game and highlight the things he's clearly great at when it ends in a championship, it's even easier when a kid is so likable. Even though UConn has won 5 of them it puts you in rarified air when you win a national championship.
But a whole lot of the BY didn't "love" the kid, going by posts and chat comments. Questioning his mental makeup, his BBIQ, he desire to "make SportsCenter highlights" over "smart" play. Cripes, we had hundreds of posts here questioning the wisdom of using him as a point forward because he was so "out of control".

It was just five months ago many BYers were still calling for him to get less playing time. And then there was a much smaller number, including me, who simply pointed out DH was using him incorrectly, playing to his weaknesses instead of his strengths. And then, boom, for the next two months he "became" the guy who's rightfully a borderline 1st rounder.

Point being, he's pretty much always been that guy. He just needed everyone else to catch up to him.

Being torn down is a right of passage here. It means we care… :)
Sadly, this is how the BY operates much of the time. Probably most every other sports board as well. I'd like to think that with age comes wisdom, and with wisdom, patience. Sanogo was pilloried here in '21-'22, as was CV for 3+ years. Could be my memory is fading, but comments just seem more vicious now as opposed to JC's time.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
But a whole lot of the BY didn't "love" the kid, going by posts and chat comments. Questioning his mental makeup, his BBIQ, he desire to "make SportsCenter highlights" over "smart" play. Cripes, we had hundreds of posts here questioning the wisdom of using him as a point forward because he was so "out of control".

It was just five months ago many BYers were still calling for him to get less playing time. And then there was a much smaller number, including me, who simply pointed out DH was using him incorrectly, playing to his weaknesses instead of his strengths. And then, boom, for the next two months he "became" the guy who's rightfully a borderline 1st rounder.

Point being, he's pretty much always been that guy. He just needed everyone else to catch up to him.

Sadly, this is how the BY operates much of the time. Probably most every other sports board as well. I'd like to think that with age comes wisdom, and with wisdom, patience. Sanogo was pilloried here in '21-'22, as was CV for 3+ years. Could be my memory is fading, but comments just seem more vicious now as opposed to JC's time.
FWIW, both Sanogo and Andre Jackson made huge turnarounds once Hurley started using them correctly as you stated. It was never their fault for their play.

Loved so much about Andre’s game as he did all the little things so well and the important things when it came to winning. I’m kind of sad he’s not leaving a better player because he has so much potential to be a truly elite player. I’m hoping he finds that development in the NBA because really no one deserves it more with how hard he works and the attitude he has.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Consider that Andre needs more development than most. Vecenie and Spinella made this point on some Game Theory podcast and I thought it made sense. They likened his development trajectory to a guy like Gary Payton III. His shot needs to be completely rebuilt and he probably isn’t playable until it is at least meh and that is different than “raw.”
So it's "extra heavy" development needed? Why didn't you say that the first time? He's a baller, better than those two stiffs from Arkansas. I remember James Young from Kentucky that was supposed to be so good. Ainge drafted him in the lottery and he went to the D-League immediately. A smart team can find a way to use Andre.

Reaction Score
So it's "extra heavy" development needed? Why didn't you say that the first time? He's a baller, better than those two stiffs from Arkansas. I remember James Young from Kentucky that was supposed to be so good. Ainge drafted him in the lottery and he went to the D-League immediately. A smart team can find a way to use Andre.

What is even the point of your post. Just take my observation and do what you want.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What is even the point of your post. Just take my observation and do what you want.
I disagreed with your original point, that GM's are reluctant make 1st round picks that need development, because it happens multiple times every draft. Your counter was basically "he needs even more development than most". Which I thought was laugh out loud funny. Few players hit the league fully formed, I don't see why you think AK would be some anomaly. The speed of the pro game will come to him quicker than most, he has the vision, all he needs is a better shot. And I think he can help a team while he gets one. You don't, fine.

Reaction Score
I disagreed with your original point, that GM's are reluctant make 1st round picks that need development, because it happens multiple times every draft. Your counter was basically "he needs even more development than most". Which I thought was laugh out loud funny. Few players hit the league fully formed, I don't see why you think AK would be some anomaly. The speed of the pro game will come to him quicker than most, he has the vision, all he needs is a better shot. And I think he can help a team while he gets one. You don't, fine.

You are coming at this from a perspective of complete ignorance and I am coming with an autistic compulsion to read every bit of pre draft content. Sometimes I forget who I am talking to because I mostly try to respond to 429, Auror and that ilk. All good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You are coming at this from a perspective of complete ignorance and I am coming with an autistic compulsion to read every bit of pre draft content. Sometimes I forget who I am talking to because I mostly try to respond to 429, Auror and that ilk. All good.
Nice insult. I showed my work. Sounds like you are coming at it from a perspective of information overload and content to throw shade, drop names and call it analysis.

Reaction Score
Even if he doesn't go first round, he'll find a way to make an impact that can't be ignored and make a roster.

I'm kind of chuckling at the universal praise AJax is getting here. I've been in the chat room with a bunch of y'all during the past three years and remember all the invectives sent his way, even this year.

He's been a joy to watch. Godspeed, young man.
Mea culpa. But I don't think thats unusual since his game is so different. He took a while to get used to and to be honest, he did get better as the year went on. You have to watch him over time and you start to notice the huge impact he has on almost every play.
He's not gonna give you 20 points a game, but hes a rare athlete that can control everything without scoring any points.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is true. For example, he needs more development than Newton, who is pretty much a finished product. In the lottery they look for high ceilings and floors. Later they tend to take two kinds of players (a) super high ceiling projects like Andre that might be a bust and (b) guys who simply produce at a high level but you don't think can be stars.

It's fascinating that we have 3 guys in the draft and one of each type. I think he made the right decision. He's trading on that upside and if he came back it's possible the league would decide that he's closer to a finished product and doesn't have much upside.

Reaction Score
Nice insult. I showed my work. Sounds like you are coming at it from a perspective of information overload and content to throw shade, drop names and call it analysis.

You should talk hoops with @Fishy

Reaction Score
Teams who pass on Ajax will be crying when he posterizes them. He’s a winner who will thrive in his environment hopefully not charlotte. He is going to make opposing fan bases cry like a baby the real gm boards will be a sight to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom