Andre Drummond Stays With Cavs | The Boneyard

Andre Drummond Stays With Cavs

Reaction Score
I really don't like watching Andre play. He is frustrating because he makes the most basic mistakes on offense and defense...yet he can be so dominant. But he has never really played with a good point guard and the Cav's have the worst PG situation in the NBA with two young guys that have no court vision whatsoever.

Reaction Score
I really don't like watching Andre play. He is frustrating because he makes the most basic mistakes on offense and defense...yet he can be so dominant. But he has never really played with a good point guard and the Cav's have the worst PG situation in the NBA with two young guys that have no court vision whatsoever.

He is a unique player that has to be appreciated for his positives. His rebounding is off the charts. But he needs to be in a system where his biggest negatives (thinking he is a point guard, shooting free throws) are not reinforced.

Reaction Score
smart move for him obviously. As dominant as he can be he's probably going to get low-balled like crazy in free agency so this will probably be his last big payday. He'll likely get dealt at the deadline to a (hopefully) contender and then dealt again next offseason since old school centers like him don't have much of a place in the league any more (as has been reiterated plenty). Seems like he's on a lesser Dwight Howard trajectory...sadly I see him turning into a bit of a journeyman after next year, but at least he's good enough at rebounding to stick around for a long time

Reaction Score
Dre does everything that Dwight Howard did for the Lakers last year but significantly better. With that said, as someone mentioned he has never played with a league average point guard let alone a good one. I wouldn't give up on him until he can finally pick and roll with someone who can consistently execute.

Reaction Score
Dre does everything that Dwight Howard did for the Lakers last year but significantly better
sure if dre only asked to be paid what dwight was making on the lakers then every chip level team would be happy to have him. the point was he can't be the second best guy on a chip team which is how he's paid.

Reaction Score
Way I figure, 'Dre isn't going to be coveted by the teams competing for championships. He just needs to maximize his paychecks for the next 4 or 5 years wherever it is and call it a day. He'll be set for life.
Set for life is an understatement, the next 10 generations of his family will never have to work.

Obviously no contender is going to want to pay him 30 million per year but I don't see why a contender wouldn't want him.

Reaction Score
Set for life is an understatement, the next 10 generations of his family will never have to work.

Obviously no contender is going to want to pay him 30 million per year but I don't see why a contender wouldn't want him.

If he's one of those guys that will take less $$ for a champ at success, they'll definitely want him. Obviously. His rebounding and lobs are a championship level skillset. 'Dre just strikes me as the kind of guy who would prefer the bigger paycheck (I certainly would) on a worse team. We'll see though.

Reaction Score
If he's one of those guys that will take less $$ for a champ at success, they'll definitely want him. Obviously. His rebounding and lobs are a championship level skillset. 'Dre just strikes me as the kind of guy who would prefer the bigger paycheck (I certainly would) on a worse team. We'll see though.
My guess is he'll get paid as much as possible by the teams that seem to never win because they give max contracts to guys like him and then when he's over 30 he'll want to win and take pay cuts. Crazy he's still just 26, he'll be a dominant rebounder rim runner well into his 30's.

C

Chief00

smart move for him obviously. As dominant as he can be he's probably going to get low-balled like crazy in free agency so this will probably be his last big payday. He'll likely get dealt at the deadline to a (hopefully) contender and then dealt again next offseason since old school centers like him don't have much of a place in the league any more (as has been reiterated plenty). Seems like he's on a lesser Dwight Howard trajectory...sadly I see him turning into a bit of a journeyman after next year, but at least he's good enough at rebounding to stick around for a long time
I know that’s the conventional wisdom but Chief believes you need a guy to get you the ball. You can’t score without the ball.

C

Chief00

Dre is such a nice kid despite being a bad a** rebounder. I would love to see him on a club with some veteran leadership that he could model after. I think he wants to do things the right way, just needs to focus and have someone show him how. Jim Calhoun thought Dre needed one more year and while I would usually say go for it at #10 - Dre would be the exception where another year under Calhoun would have been invaluable even with the NCAA BS Jim would have had to deal with. Plus unlike certain other guys, Dre liked college life. Jim would have stayed another year if Dre returned.

Reaction Score
My guess is he'll get paid as much as possible by the teams that seem to never win because they give max contracts to guys like him and then when he's over 30 he'll want to win and take pay cuts. Crazy he's still just 26, he'll be a dominant rebounder rim runner well into his 30's.
so he'll be in charlotte this time next year

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on the rumors that the Celtics are shopping Kemba? Not that they don't like the healthy version, I think they loved him. But his knees seem chronic.

Hayward decision hasn't been made yet.

Reaction Score
Should go to a team like the Heat or Knicks. Or the Bucks.

C

Chief00

Any thoughts on the rumors that the Celtics are shopping Kemba? Not that they don't like the healthy version, I think they loved him. But his knees seem chronic.

Hayward decision hasn't been made yet.
Ainge chalked up his relatively poor playoffs to his knee and likes him. But, with Ainge everyone probably has a trading price.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Celtics and Hayward agreed to extend the opt-in opt-out for Hayward until Thursday.

Reaction Score
Does no one want to state the obvious: his worst case scenario was electing to take a one year contract for $28.7mm. If we took the entire Boneyard's lifetime earnings, how many times would we have to multiply it to get to that????

Reaction Score
Does no one want to state the obvious: his worst case scenario was electing to take a one year contract for $28.7mm. If we took the entire Boneyard's lifetime earnings, how many times would we have to multiply it to get to that????
Not to be pedantic, but I would guess the entire Boneyard's cumulative lifetime earnings is somewhere in the billions.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Drummond is a great rebounder because he took the time and effort to learn how to use his body to become a board machine. I wish he would use that same effort into learning how to use his feet effectively on offense (he is physically gifted), how to shoot the free throws that are inevitably coming his way and most of all to find a space of consistency. He is so good and getting a double double one night and then 2 nights of 10 boards and less than 8 pts the next.
I honestly don't see how staying at Cleveland will help him improve but he's the one pulling in mega bucks and if he is happy - who am I to question
I wish I was unhappy earning that kind of cash

Reaction Score
Yeah and with COVID he gets a guaranteed income until the virus is contained. By then he will have enough money to make decisions based on basketball goals and not money. Meaning the right team with the right trajectory. Smart move.

Also moving (new city) ain't that simple especially in these times. Why not sit tight and ball for another year?

Not saying he considered all of this, but just pointing out that its a good decision nonetheless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom