Andra Espinoza-Hunter embraces Southern hospitality at Mississippi State | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter embraces Southern hospitality at Mississippi State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This probably comes off more anti-UConn/Connecticut than she meant it. Anyway, she seems happy with her new situation.

Unhappy with her situation at the University of Connecticut, the former Ossining basketball standout transferred to Mississippi State University, where things are, shall we say, different from what she was used to in the Northeast.

“I mean, I rang a cowbell,” she said during a phone interview. “Never in my life, being from New York, would I think I would have to ring a cowbell.”

Espinoza-Hunter said it was a culture shock early on due to the area’s Southern hospitality.

“They genuinely care about how you are, about how your day is going,” she said. “Up north, in either New York or Connecticut, you could just walk by someone and not make eye contact and that’s kind of the norm. No one will smile at you, so that’s something I had to adjust to when I first came down here.”

“People were smiling at me and I was kind of just like, ‘Okay, that’s a little weird,’ but eventually I realized that’s the norm down here – people are just that nice,” she added.

Nearly a year later, Espinoza-Hunter couldn’t be happier with her decision.

“At the end of the day, it’s a fit,” she said, regarding picking the right college. “Some people, like myself, I committed to Connecticut because of the name and the hype that followed it and I felt like I didn’t do my research and I feel like other athletes do the same thing. I would just say, ‘Take your time. Do your research, make sure you’re genuinely happy when you picture yourself there.’

Girls basketball: Andra Espinoza-Hunter embraces Southern hospitality at Mississippi State
I do not understand the animosity some of you guys have toward this young lady. She is just like everybody else, trying to make it in a world that gets tougher everyday. Lighten up, surely you remember how uncertain things were when you were her age. Most topics you guys are very open and friendly but mention her name and the daggers come out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
the thread began to deteriorate into politics (posts now deleted), so we’re done here.

There is NO POLITICS on the board. I encourage everyone to review the rules which are tacked to the top of the board.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Wow! "..I felt like I didn’t do my research and I feel like other athletes do the same thing. I would just say, ‘Take your time. Do your research, make sure you’re genuinely happy when you picture yourself there.’”

Exactly what "research" did she not do on UConn? 11 straight years going to the final four? 11 national championships? And that's just for starters.

She's in Mississippi. I mean, Mississippi!! Perhaps she should have done some research on that state!!!

She found a place she feels comfortable. I'm happy for her, and hope it works out well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44