Andra Espinoza-Hunter embraces Southern hospitality at Mississippi State | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter embraces Southern hospitality at Mississippi State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This probably comes off more anti-UConn/Connecticut than she meant it. Anyway, she seems happy with her new situation.

Unhappy with her situation at the University of Connecticut, the former Ossining basketball standout transferred to Mississippi State University, where things are, shall we say, different from what she was used to in the Northeast.

“I mean, I rang a cowbell,” she said during a phone interview. “Never in my life, being from New York, would I think I would have to ring a cowbell.”

Espinoza-Hunter said it was a culture shock early on due to the area’s Southern hospitality.

“They genuinely care about how you are, about how your day is going,” she said. “Up north, in either New York or Connecticut, you could just walk by someone and not make eye contact and that’s kind of the norm. No one will smile at you, so that’s something I had to adjust to when I first came down here.”

“People were smiling at me and I was kind of just like, ‘Okay, that’s a little weird,’ but eventually I realized that’s the norm down here – people are just that nice,” she added.

Nearly a year later, Espinoza-Hunter couldn’t be happier with her decision.

“At the end of the day, it’s a fit,” she said, regarding picking the right college. “Some people, like myself, I committed to Connecticut because of the name and the hype that followed it and I felt like I didn’t do my research and I feel like other athletes do the same thing. I would just say, ‘Take your time. Do your research, make sure you’re genuinely happy when you picture yourself there.’

Girls basketball: Andra Espinoza-Hunter embraces Southern hospitality at Mississippi State

Reaction Score
Don't know if it was meant to be vindictive but it sounded a wee bit so..............instead of making a generic point about "researching" any school she specifically focused on her UConn experience................unsure about her use of the word "there" as specifically at UConn or there as in any school?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
comments.jpg

Reaction Score
But I'm sure riding the bench right now ain't. Hopefully Vic will give her more PT. If not....
Like Auriemma, I doubt that Coach Vic will "give " her anything. The kid has to be tough enough and good enough to compete and "take" playing time, and evidently she's just not. Some kids instinctively know it and others need to be told very early: Make it impossible for the coach to take you off the floor and he rarely will.

Reaction Score
Wow! "..I felt like I didn’t do my research and I feel like other athletes do the same thing. I would just say, ‘Take your time. Do your research, make sure you’re genuinely happy when you picture yourself there.’”

Exactly what "research" did she not do on UConn? 11 straight years going to the final four? 11 national championships? And that's just for starters.

She's in Mississippi. I mean, Mississippi!! Perhaps she should have done some research on that state!!!

Reaction Score
“At the end of the day, it’s a fit,” she said, regarding picking the right college. “Some people, like myself, I committed to Connecticut because of the name and the hype that followed it and I felt like I didn’t do my research and I feel like other athletes do the same thing. I would just say, ‘Take your time. Do your research, make sure you’re genuinely happy when you picture yourself there.’

Girls basketball: Andra Espinoza-Hunter embraces Southern hospitality at Mississippi State
Well bless her little heart. I suspect if she was playing 28 minutes a game for UConn she might have been "genuinely happy."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A couple of things. First, in the north east, from about October thru March, it's pretty cold. I remember walking around campus cold all the time, and I was in a hurry to get somewhere warm. Hence I rarely stopped and chatted and smiled at anyone until spring time. Anyone ever visit NYC in the winter? You won't find people smiling at, and chatting with, you as you walk around the city.

As for the 2nd comment, can't blame the kid for saying it and having an opinion. However, it does smack a bit of sour grapes and not doing your homework. After all, she visited UCONN numerous times, knew what Saniya went thru to become the player she did, and bottom line... She couldn't or wouldn't follow the team rules, broke them enough times where Geno turned his back on her and said goodbye.

I have no doubt she learned from her experience, even if she was embarrassed or hurt or sad or whatever she was feeling. But bottom line, you follow the rules at UCONN or you won't be a member of the basketball team.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes or who said what to whom, but contrast her departure to Lexi's. One can assume that Lexi made her decision to leave prior to her last game at UCONN - hence wearing the warm up suit and sitting on the bench the entire game. But Lexi did it the right way and hence she will have a different experience in transferring from UCONN.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I shouldn't need to say this again but I will.... we don't need another thread to take shots at Espinoza-Hunter.
Is there anything else someone has to say other than criticize her, skills/decision/maturity/whatever? If not, this thread will disappear.

Reaction Score
Well I think it's a nice article about her. Don't think she meant anything bad by it. Not everyone has the gift of articulating things eloquently. And yes, something happened to force her to transfer. I don't get why her sit-out year was waived. But she seems to have found her place based on this article.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why she left/was asked to leave, but I hope everything works out for her. I hate to see any kid have a bad experience. I hope she can develop to her full potential as I hope all the kids can.

I wouldn't take too much offense to her comments about southern hospitality. It's just two different cultures, but there is a lot to like about both places.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why she left/was asked to leave, but I hope everything works out for her. I hate to see any kid have a bad experience. I hope she can develop to her full potential as I hope all the kids can.

I wouldn't take too much offense to her comments about southern hospitality. It's just two different cultures, but there is a lot to like about both places.

I don't think anybody was insulted by the Southern hospitality comments................(he said without smiling, looking away from the computer screen)..............;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As always I wish her the best.

It's not like she wouldn't have a chance to ring a cowbell at UConn. Unless something has changed, UConn has an Ag school and a working dairy.

As for the culture -- She's from an urban/suburban area. There's no doubt that people in a small Southern town are outwardly friendlier than in a Northeastern burb. But honestly, down deep we're all the same. I remember talking to a friend who was from the Philly burbs when we were in school din Virginia. She was floored that someone she'd known for three years and thought was a good friend hated her. In the Northeast, we were fine with people who didn't like us. (Heck, one of the guys I was closest to in college, we didn't like each other. We went to all the weddings in our clique, but I wasn't invited to his, and that was fine with both of us.) But in the South everyone played nice, but it wasn't at all unusual for one to talk crap about another only behind his back. I'd rather have it all up front.

Another thing -- small-town New England is notorious for being insular. Nobody's a part of the town who wasn't born there. It's no different in the South, or at least in Virginia, and I suspect the deep South is as bad.

Reaction Score
This probably comes off more anti-UConn/Connecticut than she meant it. Anyway, she seems happy with her new situation.

Unhappy with her situation at the University of Connecticut, the former Ossining basketball standout transferred to Mississippi State University, where things are, shall we say, different from what she was used to in the Northeast.

“I mean, I rang a cowbell,” she said during a phone interview. “Never in my life, being from New York, would I think I would have to ring a cowbell.”

Espinoza-Hunter said it was a culture shock early on due to the area’s Southern hospitality.

“They genuinely care about how you are, about how your day is going,” she said. “Up north, in either New York or Connecticut, you could just walk by someone and not make eye contact and that’s kind of the norm. No one will smile at you, so that’s something I had to adjust to when I first came down here.”

“People were smiling at me and I was kind of just like, ‘Okay, that’s a little weird,’ but eventually I realized that’s the norm down here – people are just that nice,” she added.

Nearly a year later, Espinoza-Hunter couldn’t be happier with her decision.

I’m truly happy that she’s happy having folks that pass by smile at her. It’s unfortunate, however, that she never got to experience UConn fan adoration and sincere love for the UConn Women’s team......second to none!!!!

Reaction Score
A couple of things. First, in the north east, from about October thru March, it's pretty cold. I remember walking around campus cold all the time, and I was in a hurry to get somewhere warm. Hence I rarely stopped and chatted and smiled at anyone until spring time. Anyone ever visit NYC in the winter? You won't find people smiling at, and chatting with, you as you walk around the city.

I dont think it's the weather. It's a cultural difference, somewhat urban/rural.

When I was in college, I recall Southerners complaining "People don't say hi to you on the street."

My response: "No of course not! That would freak me out! If a stranger says hi to me on the street, I assume they're a pervert."

Her comment rings 100% true to me.

Reaction Score
Wow! "..I felt like I didn’t do my research and I feel like other athletes do the same thing. I would just say, ‘Take your time. Do your research, make sure you’re genuinely happy when you picture yourself there.’”

Exactly what "research" did she not do on UConn? 11 straight years going to the final four? 11 national championships? And that's just for starters.

She's in Mississippi. I mean, Mississippi!! Perhaps she should have done some research on that state!!!

Probably about 60 degrees there today. It's a beautiful state with nice people.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

I tend to agree with Andra. I have sold in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Missouri. I met many friendly and helpful people. A few not so nice admittedly. My first business trip NYC I came out of the Plaza (I think the Plaza) and turned the corner head on into a horde of people (exiting a subway, maybe). I tried to be courteous until I realized they had backed me up backwards across the street. I tucked my briefcase under my arm and charged ahead. SVC off left tackle! Anyone who did not step aside was forearmed aside. Finally I made it back to the side walk when realized no one had ever looked at me and displayed not the slightest objection to my more than rude behavior. This was Summer by the way.
I went to a meeting at CitiCorp where an executive dressed me down for a minor issue. I objected in his tone then return to my normal tone but I was quite aggressive from the point on. Later our President came to me I presumed to fire me. He told me that executive and his staff were impressed with me. At that moment I decided to return to the Midwest.
I must admit years later while doing a consulting gig in Connecticut I did meet a group of friendly NYers on the Whitestone heading for Connecticut (Hmmm maybe they were from CT) while the traffic came a standstill. I was surprised they took it so well. We had a nice chat.
Once I was taking a cab to La Guardia and we encountered gridlock. I mean full blown gridlock. Everyone honking a away as if someone could actually move. My cabbie was hanging out the cab up to his waist still honking and cursing. I just got out some paperwork and shook my head. NYC is not for everyone, like sane people! :rolleyes::p:D;)

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Well bless her little heart. I suspect if she was playing 28 minutes a game for UConn she might have been "genuinely happy."
"Bless her little heart" What a wonderful Southern gem it is. When a southern lady, and it is usually a lady who says it, uses that expression, that is not at all what she means! Up north where the weather and the people are colder (some of the people anyway), it would be more like "Why you sorry sack of ..." Sugar would not melt in the mouths of some southern belles, but their tongues are razor sharp. It is an interesting dichotomy! That being said, people are more openly friendly here in the deep south, and they often wave at passersby. Perhaps Ms Hunter has felt that in Starksville. I am happy for any kid to find their way. Not always easy at that age! :)

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
She's still in her honeymoon phase, give it time and we'll see where it all eventually ends up.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
That being said, people are more openly friendly here in the deep south, and they often wave at passersby.

Good to know that other parts of the nation share the northern New England habit of waving to passersby, whether known or unknown. It is a little disconcerting to visitors to the tiny hamlet where I reside—midcoast Maine—when we wave to strangers walking or driving by. Just friendly greetings...no big deal. :)

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Good to know it's not just Mississippi State fans posting threads about AEH.

Anyways, I predict her to have her best game against Oregon. Vic might choose to play points in the 2nd quarter, and AEH can stretch the floor and should have a lot of open looks because Danberry will be kicking it out to her a lot. Almost sure Danberry will try to beat some of these Oregon defenders because she'll recognize that they're less athletic than her.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
It's approximately a year and this talented young athlete is still throwing shade at her former University with almost every giving opportunity. And for the most part it's not like she is being baited by the media either..

Time for her to get over the fact that her once dream school was unfortunately not the right fit for her, it happens, no need for any negative comparisons between the two programs... Let her play do the talking..

There is nothing wrong with being excited in your new home. You can do that without throwing shade at your previous home, especially when you were only there for a very short time, it should be very easy to just forget it even existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom