And the 9 games for 2020 so far are... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

And the 9 games for 2020 so far are...

Reaction Score
9/3/20 is a Thursday - super happy to keep that tradition going. love opening thurs prime time
Mea culpa! Upon further review, except inexplicably on my iPhone calendar 9/3/20 is indeed a Thursday. Seriously, I just re-checked my phone; still shows up as Wednesday and is still wrong. Weird, but thanks for the helpful correction.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
9/3/20 is a Thursday - super happy to keep that tradition going. love opening thurs prime time
Added bonus: at least one more year of the FfC crew complaining about the drive to East Hartford the Thursday before Labor Day weekend.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hate to sound like an optimist, but this is similar to what I expected (check post history if you don't believe me). I know many here lost faith in Dave B., but he's an SEC football guy. He does get it. He dropped several hints that suggested that people really did want to play us. He said a surprisingly high number of P5 schools wanted to schedule us. I always thought that our Indy schedule would be better than our AAC schedule.

I mentioned before that my view is that football and college sports are a recruiting tool for paying students. If it wasn't for the desire to attract students, no school would have football. Almost all of them lose money on it. Connecticut has lots of very high achieving students with incomes to pay full freight out of state or private tuition. That is appealing to a whole lot of schools.

Reaction Score
I personally hate the Thursday game. Saturday tailgating is the only reason to go for most fans.

Reaction Score
So no buy games in 2020, but this is offset by what appears to be 7 home games vs. the traditional 6, so one less travel date and associated expenses. We can speculate all we want about the remaining 3 games, but as shown by the released schedule, things may not be as clear as speculated.

Reaction Score
So (Ole Miss is) just a one off game vs. a SEC team. Not the worst thing in the world for such late notice.
Agreed, put it down as a cost of doing business, getting the 2020 job done, opportunity to visit the Grove, investment in future relations and scheduling, etc. All good as you acknowledge so late in the scheduling game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Mea culpa! Upon further review, except inexplicably on my iPhone calendar 9/3/20 is indeed a Thursday. Seriously, I just re-checked my phone; still shows up as Wednesday and is still wrong. Weird, but thanks for the helpful correction.

Apple doesn't believe in leap years.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I personally hate the Thursday game. Saturday tailgating is the only reason to go for most fans.
I'm not going to give you a frown face, but I am way outside that demographic. I like the afternoon game. The Week before Labor Day is typically great weather, and a half day of work is a small sacrifice for hanging out with buddies, drinking malted barley, and eating charred animal flesh.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to give you a frown face, but I am way outside that demographic. I like the afternoon game. The Week before Labor Day is typically great weather, and a half day of work is a small sacrifice for hanging out with buddies, drinking malted barley, and eating charred animal flesh.
I like the Thurs night game, and have never considered a half day of work a sacrifice in any way...

Husky25

Reaction Score
I like the Thurs night game, and have never considered a half day of work a sacrifice in any way...
Let me guess: You don't live and/or work in Fairfield County.

Follow up guess (that also doesn't count): You are aware of the schedule months in advance and doesn't catch you by surprise on August 28.

Reaction Score

Alex Putterman@AlexPutterman 7m
The games currently announced for UConn's 2020 schedule will cost the school $380,500 in aggregate. That reflects the fact that UConn had little leverage in negotiating on such short notice. The guarantees will almost certainly be greater in the future.

Alex Putterman @AlexPutterman 4m
For example: UConn essentially gets nothing for playing at Ole Miss, which would normally be a lucrative game. But instead, Ole Miss will pay Middle Tennessee State $1.5 mil, as those schools had originally planned, while UConn will play both w/o receiving or paying anything

Alex Putterman@AlexPutterman 2m
Also, UConn's guarantee for the game against Virginia next fall is $400K, which is likely less than what it would likely get under different circumstances. Story coming soon to hopefully explain some of this a little more clearly!

Reaction Score
So MTSU at home is opponent #10. That leaves an unnamed ACC school and someone else, 1 at home and 1 away.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
One thing unmentioned: a quality schedule like this, now and into the future, makes recruiting a good new coach that much easier.

Randy is being set up for another losing season unless the his recruits step up next year. He'll have to beat at least 1 P5 team to get to 6 wins.

Reaction Score
MTSU will not be a very attractive or lucrative home game (probably the equivalent of Tulsa), but the benefits of the Ole Miss game from the perspective of the fan base and recruiting far outweighs the any costs. Seems the focus of Benedict's wheeling and dealing was to get additional P5 games as he cut deals for Ole Miss, a one-off with UVA, and one yet to be announced P5 team.

The 5 P5 games plus, regional games (Army, UMass, Maine) outshines any AAC schedule and I think that was the short term goal. It would have been a public relations nightmare to trot out a schedule with an array of the AAC southern schools or other southern schools like La. Tech, Southern Miss, UAB, UL-Monroe, Florida International or FAU. P5 and regional needs to be the focus.

Reaction Score
I can see a possible trip to SF then a car ride to SJ or even fit in Palo Alto if Stanford has a game that makes sense. Fly back from SJ to Newark or JFK. A bit goofy but checks off a few boxes for me.

Let's also factor in date and time flexibility as an added benefit of independence. As we move forward with more options dates and times that work better for us not just our league or opponent.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Apparently AD DB was doing more than playing Fortnite during his “radio silence” of the past few months.

Well done...Awesome schedule, all things considered.
Hmm, all this was announced after Fortnite when down for the upgrade.... coincidence?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom