... and people wonder why Susan mentioned UConn Lacrosse out of blue? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

... and people wonder why Susan mentioned UConn Lacrosse out of blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Seven Stages of Conference Realignment

1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
You will probably react to learning of the loss of yet another conference member with numbed disbelief. You may deny the reality of the loss at some level, in order to avoid the pain. Belief in a secret plan that will bring UConn to the Big 10 is typical in this stage. This may last for weeks.
2. PAIN & GUILT-
As the shock wears off, it is replaced with the suffering of unbelievable pain. Although excruciating and almost unbearable, it is important that you experience the pain fully, Life feels chaotic and scary during this phase. Expect very little productivity during this stage as reading the Boneyard replaces normal functions such as work, talking with your spouse and bathing.
3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
Frustration gives way to anger, and you may lash out and lay blame for the lack of a decent conference on someone else. Many choose Warde Manual or Jeff Hathaway. This is a time for the release of bottled up emotion. You may rail against fate, questioning "Why UConn ?" You may also try to bargain in vain with the powers that be for a way out of your despair ("I will not complain about Syracuse’s cupcake basketball schedule anymore, if you just bring back the original Big East members.")
4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
Just when your friends may think you should be getting on with your life, a long period of sad reflection will likely overtake you. Encouragement from others is not helpful to you during this stage of grieving. During this time, you finally realize the true magnitude of your loss, and it depresses you. You may isolate yourself on purpose, and talk of “going independent in football” becomes the norm.
5. THE UPWARD TURN-
As you start to adjust to life without a meaningful conference affiliation, your life becomes a little calmer and more organized. Your physical symptoms lessen, and your "depression" begins to lift slightly. You actually start working at work again and your boss decides that he doesn’t need to fire you or upgrade the internet firewall.
6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
As you become more functional, your mind starts working again, and you will find yourself seeking realistic solutions to problems posed by life without a decent conference. You will start to work on practical and financial problems and reconstructing your program, such as stadium expansion and focusing on third tier TV rights.
7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
During this, the last of the seven stages of conference realignment, you learn to accept and deal with the reality of your situation. Acceptance does not necessarily mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil you have experienced, you can never return to the carefree, untroubled YOU that existed before this tragedy. But you will find a way forward, unfortunately that may involve trips to Amherst, but you will survive.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How much does it cost to sponsor varsity lacrosse and the womens sports scholarships that would have to accompany this move?

Im all for making UConn more well rounded, all things being equal, but I cant help to think this money wouldn't be better served being used for the footballl coaching staff.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The Seven Stages of Conference Realignment

1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
You will probably react to learning of the loss of yet another conference member with numbed disbelief. You may deny the reality of the loss at some level, in order to avoid the pain. Belief in a secret plan that will bring UConn to the Big 10 is typical in this stage. This may last for weeks.
2. PAIN & GUILT-
As the shock wears off, it is replaced with the suffering of unbelievable pain. Although excruciating and almost unbearable, it is important that you experience the pain fully, Life feels chaotic and scary during this phase. Expect very little productivity during this stage as reading the Boneyard replaces normal functions such as work, talking with your spouse and bathing.
3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
Frustration gives way to anger, and you may lash out and lay blame for the lack of a decent conference on someone else. Many choose Warde Manual or Jeff Hathaway. This is a time for the release of bottled up emotion. You may rail against fate, questioning "Why UConn ?" You may also try to bargain in vain with the powers that be for a way out of your despair ("I will not complain about Syracuse’s cupcake basketball schedule anymore, if you just bring back the original Big East members.")
4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
Just when your friends may think you should be getting on with your life, a long period of sad reflection will likely overtake you. Encouragement from others is not helpful to you during this stage of grieving. During this time, you finally realize the true magnitude of your loss, and it depresses you. You may isolate yourself on purpose, and talk of “going independent in football” becomes the norm.
5. THE UPWARD TURN-
As you start to adjust to life without a meaningful conference affiliation, your life becomes a little calmer and more organized. Your physical symptoms lessen, and your "depression" begins to lift slightly. You actually start working at work again and your boss decides that he doesn’t need to fire you or upgrade the internet firewall.
6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
As you become more functional, your mind starts working again, and you will find yourself seeking realistic solutions to problems posed by life without a decent conference. You will start to work on practical and financial problems and reconstructing your program, such as stadium expansion and focusing on third tier TV rights.
7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
During this, the last of the seven stages of conference realignment, you learn to accept and deal with the reality of your situation. Acceptance does not necessarily mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil you have experienced, you can never return to the carefree, untroubled YOU that existed before this tragedy. But you will find a way forward, unfortunately that may involve trips to Amherst, but you will survive.

I took my anger out on the Wisconsin Message Board for scoffing at UConn. I think I'm somewhere lost in #4.

Reaction Score
How much does it cost to sponsor varsity lacrosse and the womens sports scholarships that would have to accompany this move?

Im all for making UConn more well rounded, all things being equal, but I cant help to think this money wouldn't be better served being used for the footballl coaching staff.

And it what sports would you add women's scholarships? Women already have ice hockey and lax.

Reaction Score

There you go again. Havent we already established that logic has no place here?

Reaction Score
starting lax will be extremely easy to do
-play on the soccer field
-pump the indorr turf pf, that will put us in the top 25 overnight just like baseball, i think ppl here dont realize how big of a deal that is to other sports. it only cost like 2 mil, i would build 2 more if i could down the road for other sports to split form fball for even better practice time etc...
-hire the bryant coach, susan knows what im talking about. gotta play ball. if not, then hire either the hs coach from darien or fairfield prep. doesn't matter which to me. those 2 are both capable of making that hs to college jump. they also have a ton of tri state lax connections which will go very far recruiting wise.
-ct will put out 5-10 big time lax players a year and prob more like 15-20 d1 overall. d3 we put out a ton fwiw. ny puts out huge numbers and mass has good hauls also. factor in ri/pa and u never have to leave the area. i would also recruit md just for the hell of it to let md/uva/unc/duke/jh know we mean business. if we can own ct in time, make roads in nyc/li and do the new england thing were trying to do jus tlike in fball, we will be a monster quick. the umass and fairfields of the world give us plenty of desirable local ooc games. play them every year, with our brands, commitment and facilities we can pass them all quick and then the rise drama builds more...

now that we are all set with this, back to fball and the b10
Dan, just one correction: Today's lax is best played on an artificial surface. (See UMass, Providence, etc.)
UConn will be best served playing lax on the field hockey stadium (the freshman football field for you old timers like me) until such time that the soccer field is deemed necessary to be resurfaced with artificial turf. Playing lacrosse on a grassfield = Clydedales plodding along. Playing it on an artificial surface= a quarter horse sprint race by comparison.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan, just one correction: Today's lax is best played on an artificial surface. (See UMass, Providence, etc.)
UConn will be best served playing lax on the field hockey stadium (the freshman football field for you old timers like me) until such time that the soccer field is deemed necessary to be resurfaced with artificial turf. Playing lacrosse on a grassfield = Clydedales plodding along. Playing it on an artificial surface= a quarter horse sprint race by comparison.

i agree, but im just looking to get things going asap. we can do a turf stadium for 2mil down the road with all the bells. the first 2 or 3 years will be a climb so lets make it easy and show progress going form losing to winning and from a grass feild to a turf lax stadium. build and market!

Reaction Score
So your example that the athletic department isn't being fiscally short sighted is that the school hired teachers. I did not know that teachers were generally part of the athletic department.

I've seen the first statement. That's a nice piece of conjecture - there is no real evidence that it is true.

I get that some people have a hard on for lacrosse. That's fine but don't try to pretend it has impact on conference realignment.

It may not have a causal relationship, but it may be a result of a deal already done. Were we really skipped by for the Ville? Or did we decline. The stars are aligning. Count me all in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Doesn't count. Federal court ruled on that last year or so. Sorry no link.

That's stupid. The Feds announced during the Bush administration that the intepretations of Title IX by all these schools is wrong. It does not require equivalent numbers of scholarships at all. The plain language of the law clearly does not mandate this. These schools are doing it from their own twisted sense of political correctness.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's stupid. The Feds announced during the Bush administration that the intepretations of Title IX by all these schools is wrong. It does not require equivalent numbers of scholarships at all. The plain language of the law clearly does not mandate this. These schools are doing it from their own twisted sense of political correctness.
I didn't realize this. Do you have a link?

Reaction Score
It does not require equivalent numbers of scholarships at all.

Since when?

I distinctly recall the 90s ruling that said the number of players had to match the school's M/F percentage. (US vs Brown University)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I didn't realize this. Do you have a link?

It's all a question of administrative enforcement and interpretation. The law never mandated equal numbers of scholarships.

Obama apparently reversed the Bush administration interpretation allowing use of surveys in 2010.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Since when?

I distinctly recall the 90s ruling that said the number of players had to match the school's M/F percentage. (US vs Brown University)

It was Cohen vs. Brown. Not explicitly on the point of having level scholarships or scholarships proportionate to the M/F ratio. It was 1st Circuit. The Supreme Court has never ruled on this. What had developed over the years, was university counsel and compliance advisors pushing bright line rule to ensure compliance. The Bush administration came out and said there were several different ways to gauge compliance.

Reaction Score
Not that anyone cares, but the ACC is one short on having an AQ for Lacrosse (once Maryland leaves, ND should join). Except those schools are not hurt by it. Only 9 schools have ever won a national title in men's lacrosse and all four current ACC schools - UNC, Duke, UVA, and Maryland, along with incoming Syracuse are among those 9 (Johns Hopkins, Princeton, Cornell and last year's winenr - Loyola are the other 4).

Reaction Score
I was going to say this, but I thought it would sound snobby. But you said it right.

Lax is a growth sport. Baseball is sputtering away, nobody gives a flying you know what about that sport anymore, less kids play it every year.

If I can go off on a slight tangent. Having a varsity lacrosse team would market the University to another segment of potential student. We know that lacrosse is huge in Connecticut at the youth level & exploding at the high school level (as more high schools are adding it across the state yearly). It's possible that UConn would be attractive to kids that play lacrosse if they have aspirations of playing the sport in college.
Let me give you two examples:
Coach Jon Wholley's younger brother played both football & lacrosse at Southington High. He was given a scholarship to attend Maryland to play lacrosse. With his family's past sponsorship of UConn Athletics (Better Bedding) & his brother being employed by the University, don't you think that he would have given UConn a sniff if varsity lacrosse was part of the athletic department?
In my own family: My nephew played both football & lacrosse at the high school level in state. As you know, many members of my family have attended UConn. Nephew was a tremendous lacrosse player. He played varsity lacrosse at another institution. UConn was never on the radar because of lack of a team at the varsity level.
My point is that with the popularity of the sport in state, UConn is better served offering the sport at the varsity level to attract more students, than disengaging this population by omission.

Reaction Score
As much as I enjoy UConn baseball, when you get beyond the 45+ age group baseball is in decline. As far as LaCrosse goes, if the B1G wants us we could have a program up in less time than it would take to build an ice rink or upgrade the Rent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here is a list of the things the Big 10 cares about:

1. Cable subscribers willing to pay a premium for their network.

2. How consistently good is your football team.

End of list.

Reaction Score
Here is a list of the things the Big 10 cares about:

1. Cable subscribers willing to pay a premium for their network.

2. How consistently good is your football team.

End of list.

Why did you add a second care?

They just added Maryland and Rutgers.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's all a question of administrative enforcement and interpretation. The law never mandated equal numbers of scholarships.

Obama apparently reversed the Bush administration interpretation allowing use of surveys in 2010.
Thanks for the link. I am reading this just the opposite. The Bush policy of surveying female athletes to find out what they need is being dropped and the new interpretation iencourages the elimination of men's participation in some sports. That negatively impacts the top female athletes, however who often train with men. (I undertand this. My son is a good, but not execeptional runner. He often trains with a female runner who is nationally ranked (and pretty highly) but is slower than him. So if you eliminate the men's team, she doesn't get to challenge herself and it impacts her performance.)

Seems like the current administration eliminated a more product approach that had been successful, and by their own admission "did so without a whole lot of thought".

That's just off a quick scan though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. I am reading this just the opposite. The Bush policy of surveying female athletes to find out what they need is being dropped and the new interpretation iencourages the elimination of men's participation in some sports. That negatively impacts the top female athletes, however who often train with men. (I undertand this. My son is a good, but not execeptional runner. He often trains with a female runner who is nationally ranked (and pretty highly) but is slower than him. So if you eliminate the men's team, she doesn't get to challenge herself and it impacts her performance.)

Seems like the current administration eliminated a more product approach that had been successful, and by their own admission "did so without a whole lot of thought".

That's just off a quick scan though.

Yes exactly. I didn't realize that Obama's administration had reveresed the policy directive. The law by the way, still says what it says. It's all about administrative enforcement. Schools want to avoid being sued in the first place even more than they want to win if they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom