... and people wonder why Susan mentioned UConn Lacrosse out of blue? | The Boneyard

... and people wonder why Susan mentioned UConn Lacrosse out of blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mentioned in a Frank the Tank post:

frankthetank111 Jan 29, 11:47pm via Web
Big Ten expansion that you probably weren't thinking about: conference looking at Johns Hopkins as lacrosse member

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/01/17/hopkins-draft

"...Pietramala wouldn’t confirm whether a prospective Big Ten men’s lacrosse conference is one that’s approached the Blue Jays, but multiple sources have told IL that the Big Ten, the Big East (or a representative of the future Big East) and the ECAC are among those interested in Johns Hopkins.

"...Heather Lyke is an associate athletic director at Ohio State, a member of the NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship Committee and a driving factor in the future of lacrosse in the Big Ten. She said 10 days ago, in advance of the Big Ten Sports Management Committee meetings in Chicago, that nothing had been offered or even discussed with any certainty, but mentioned that all options for all sports would be considered, and any decisions coming out of the meetings would likely be made early-to-mid-February."

"...Jim Siedliski, the Big East Associate Commissioner for Olympic Sports and another member of the NCAA Championship Committee, also didn’t confirm the Big East’s status as a suitor for Hopkins, but his comment was still pretty enlightening. “If Hopkins is out there and they're a free agent, every conference should want them,” Siedliski said. “If there are only three that are rumored to be in contact with them, that’s a shame because in this sport, every conference should be pursuing the Blue Jays.”

"With the loss of Notre Dame and Syracuse to the ACC, Rutgers to the Big Ten and the breaking away of the informally dubbed “Catholic Seven,” Big East men’s lacrosse is in an precarious position because all of the remaining programs are in that breakaway group: Villanova, St. John’s, Marquette, Georgetown and Providence. In order to retain its NCAA Tournament AQ, that future conference would have to add another team in order to meet the six-team minimum."

Strategic vision...?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
its no secret that md wanted to bring the jays with them to the b10. power lax and aau. ppl made fun of me with the bc/bu puck and aau stuff. the b10 is a monster and they will win the other sports war in time. thats why uconn needs to do everything and anything to get that invite.

Reaction Score
Are there any lacrosse programs in the Big East 3.0? Once the Catholics leave, Notre Dame, Syraucse, and Rutgers leave, who is left? Seems to me that unless a bunch of schools coming in all add the sport, it is a pretty unlikely thing to add right now in a league that won't offer the sport in 2 years.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Are there any lacrosse programs in the Big East 3.0? Once the Catholics leave, Notre Dame, Syraucse, and Rutgers leave, who is left? Seems to me that unless a bunch of schools coming in all add the sport, it is a pretty unlikely thing to add right now in a league that won't offer the sport in 2 years.

or maybe u should put 2 and 2 together. puck and lax---why?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
This is too much of a coincidence, right? Our athletic department is effectively facing end times yet we are upgrading in Lax and Hockey.
I-want-to-believe-wallpaper-59862439
I-want-to-believe-wallpaper-59862439

Reaction Score
its no secret that md wanted to bring the jays with them to the b10. power lax and aau. ppl made fun of me with the bc/bu puck and aau stuff. the b10 is a monster and they will win the other sports war in time. thats why uconn needs to do everything and anything to get that invite.

But this wouldn't "bring" Johns Hopkins to the B10. It only adds them as an affiliate member in ONE sport.
Conferences do this all the time to increase membership in Olympic sports. In the BE, Loyola MD was an affiliate in womens' lax, and Old Dominion will become one in Field Hockey.

With the B10 network looking for content, it would make sense for the conference to fill out the league with affiliates here or there so they have enough teams to sponsor the sport.

Much ado about little.

Reaction Score
But this wouldn't "bring" Johns Hopkins to the B10. It only adds them as an affiliate member in ONE sport.
Conferences do this all the time to increase membership in Olympic sports. In the BE, Loyola MD was an affiliate in womens' lax, and Old Dominion will become one in Field Hockey.

With the B10 network looking for content, it would make sense for the conference to fill out the league with affiliates here or there so they have enough teams to sponsor the sport.

Much ado about little.

Maybe... but if it comes down to a school that has a lax program versus one without a lax program then it may make a difference. The point wasn't JH Lax it was B1G Lax (and demise I guess of BE Lax).

Clearly not @ the level of CFB or MBB but it is the fasted growing sport in America (fasted growing NCAA sport for participants). It continues to siphon kids out of football and baseball.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

Much ado about little.

thats all i was saying to do with bu. add bc and then add bu as puck only. my other thought was that the aau/cic connections may want bu to be like chicago. that was all iw as getting at when ppl here were saying bc had no shot...bc and pu puck combined alone would turn on many cable boxes in boston, but they wouldnt carry new england at all. just something to factor in when your thinking uconn vs bc...

Reaction Score

If Hopkins gets a look for a Big Ten lacrosse league, it's because the Big Ten needs a sixth member to get an automatic bid for the NCAAs, full stop (and Hopkins *knows* that the Big Ten needs them more than they need the Big Ten; they can totally afford to walk away from the table).

The Big Ten won't pull the trigger on its own league without a sixth member; there have been five members playing varsity hockey since the 1960s, and it wasn't until Penn State started a varsity squad that the idea was even on the table.

Which is why BU for hockey only is a ludicrous idea; the Big Ten could have done it practically at will any time since about the 1970s or so. They didn't, though. Because the Big Ten *doesn't offer associate memberships*. They could have picked up anyone in the hockey world: North Dakota, Denver, Notre Dame, Miami, Michigan Tech, even St. freakin Cloud (which is to Minnesota as Central is to UConn). Hell, the five Big Tenners could have picked up both the Alaska teams, made a league where everybody gets four free extra games a year, and got four free victories a year by *going* to Alaska for four games a year.

But they didn't, because they don't offer associate memberships.

Reaction Score
If Hopkins gets a look for a Big Ten lacrosse league, it's because the Big Ten needs a sixth member to get an automatic bid for the NCAAs, full stop (and Hopkins *knows* that the Big Ten needs them more than they need the Big Ten; they can totally afford to walk away from the table).

The Big Ten won't pull the trigger on its own league without a sixth member; there have been five members playing varsity hockey since the 1960s, and it wasn't until Penn State started a varsity squad that the idea was even on the table.

Which is why BU for hockey only is a ludicrous idea; the Big Ten could have done it practically at will any time since about the 1970s or so. They didn't, though. Because the Big Ten *doesn't offer associate memberships*. They could have picked up anyone in the hockey world: North Dakota, Denver, Notre Dame, Miami, Michigan Tech, even St. freakin Cloud (which is to Minnesota as Central is to UConn). Hell, the five Big Tenners could have picked up both the Alaska teams, made a league where everybody gets four free extra games a year, and got four free victories a year by *going* to Alaska for four games a year.

But they didn't, because they don't offer associate memberships.

The Big10 could have invited BU practically any time?

What makes anyone here think BU would leave Hockey East for the B10? They wouldn't. HE is the premier hockey conference in the country.

Reaction Score

What makes anyone here think BU would leave Hockey East for the B10? They wouldn't. HE is the premier hockey conference in the country.

That kind of reasoned, logical analysis has no place on this board.

Reaction Score
If we add Lax, are profile matches up even better. It seems like most of the best national universities in the east sponsor that sport.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When you are in Shawshank you can convince yourself that salvation lies within lacrosse.

Just think about that for two seconds. On what planet does the Big 10 add a school for a 40-50 million dollar annual payday because they sponsor f*c**ing lacrosse.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
When you are in Shawshank you can convince yourself that salvation lies within lacrosse.

Just think about that for two seconds. On what planet does the Big 10 add a school for a 40-50 million dollar annual payday because they sponsor f*c**ing lacrosse.

im not saying lax is worth a ton of money, but hear me out a sec. lax is a fast rising sport, but it will never be anything top 5 wise in the country. it will never have a strong professional league or w/e. the $ just isn't there for it. where there is $ for it is in colleges. the b10 with big brand name schools can tunr that into a spring season inventory monster for the b10n. thats whats going on. the b10n is going to aim to have the best soccer, bball, puck, lax and good baseball. all that inventory will lead them to a huge tier 2 deal with the b10n longrun. lax while it may be small $, factors into it enough where it matters to give it a board meeting and to set it up. lax in ct is the right move for uconn. i am a baseball guy 100% and would be the 1st to throw out a sarcastic lax bros comment at the party, but i am o fool, there is $ to be made. im glad the leadership at uconn is thinking and seeing ti also. add lax and rebuild cheerlaeading, thats how u build more and dont let title 9 hurt u...

Reaction Score

Lacrosse and five other improvements we make might do it. Think of the whole picture.

Reaction Score

You're right. There is no planet on which the B1G adds a school for LAX.
But at the risk of sounding like I just fell off the bus direct from Pollyannaville, it's not just about lacrosse. Or just about upgrading hockey. Or rebranding our sports logo and mascot. Or new football uniforms. Or a long-term deal for Ollie. Or landing a decent recruiting class. Or a new offensive coordinator.
It seems to me the leadership has not thrown in the towel and is trying to improve athletics to make the school the best available candidate for conference expansion.
The university can't change its past and there is much about realignment over which it cannot control. And these changes may not amount to much, and there may be alot more the university can and should be doing, but it makes me believe we are trying. There's a better place.
Alright. Now slap me with a big dose of keeping it real.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lacrosse and five other improvements we make might do it. Think of the whole picture.

If improvement one is tens of thousands of people who care about the football program then lacrosse can be any of improvements 2-5.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
im not saying lax is worth a ton of money, but hear me out a sec. lax is a fast rising sport, but it will never be anything top 5 wise in the country. it will never have a strong professional league or w/e. the $ just isn't there for it. where there is $ for it is in colleges. the b10 with big brand name schools can tunr that into a spring season inventory monster for the b10n. thats whats going on. the b10n is going to aim to have the best soccer, bball, puck, lax and good baseball. all that inventory will lead them to a huge tier 2 deal with the b10n longrun. lax while it may be small $, factors into it enough where it matters to give it a board meeting and to set it up. lax in ct is the right move for uconn. i am a baseball guy 100% and would be the 1st to throw out a sarcastic lax bros comment at the party, but i am o fool, there is $ to be made. im glad the leadership at uconn is thinking and seeing ti also. add lax and rebuild cheerlaeading, thats how u build more and dont let title 9 hurt u...

I'm fine with having a lacrosse team. Let's just not pretend it makes the Big 10 care about anything other than cable subscribers and the rate they are willing to pay for the network.

I know it's heresy to some here to note the (complete lack of) value of women's basketball in conference realignment. Women's basketball makes lacrosse look like the pennies people leave in the cup at Food Bag.

Reaction Score

Whether BU specifically would have accepted the invite is tangential to the point. The Big Ten could have made an overture to any one of five or six candidates equally as attractive as BU, given them a hockey-only membership, and formed a hockey league decades ago.

They waited for a sixth to start hockey instead.

Reaction Score
If improvement one is tens of thousands of people who care about the football program then lacrosse can be any of improvements 2-5.

Lacrosse helps you look the part. It's just another feather in the cap.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You're right. There is no planet on which the B1G adds a school for LAX.
But at the risk of sounding like I just fell off the bus direct from Pollyannaville, it's not just about lacrosse. Or just about upgrading hockey. Or rebranding our sports logo and mascot. Or new football uniforms. Or a long-term deal for Ollie. Or landing a decent recruiting class. Or a new offensive coordinator.
It seems to me the leadership has not thrown in the towel and is trying to improve athletics to make the school the best available candidate for conference expansion.
The university can't change its past and there is much about realignment over which it cannot control. And these changes may not amount to much, and there may be alot more the university can and should be doing, but it makes me believe we are trying. There's a better place.
Alright. Now slap me with a big dose of keeping it real.
Barkingdog, I thought we already established the fact that reasoned, logical analysis has no place on this board. If we keep having these well thought-out posts, Dan might have to put his pitchfork back in the barn and Zoo might have to douse the torches in water! And after all the effort BlueDogs and Alum86 (or whatever his year was) put into making effigies of Warde and Susan, we won't even get to burn 'em? That's no fun!

Well, perhaps we can stuff the Pasqualoni effigy with candy and have the kids go crazy on his pinata ass, just in case he goes 5-7 again.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm fine with having a lacrosse team. Let's just not pretend it makes the Big 10 care about anything other than cable subscribers and the rate they are willing to pay for the network.

I know it's heresy to some here to note the (complete lack of) value of women's basketball in conference realignment. Women's basketball makes lacrosse look like the pennies people leave in the cup at Food Bag.

Order qualifiers and order winners. Qualifiers = AAU, geography, potentially hockey, lax, etc. order winners = market.

We don't have to be faster than the bear, just the guys next to us. We're sureing up our qualifiers so that we can win with our markets. Hell everything we are doing in investment and program upgrades reads like a laundry list that was probably the feedback from our conference applications. We're are knocking out the low hanging fruit and we are breaking out the checkbook.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm going to let you guys in on a secret.

If the Big 10 had any interest in UConn they could show up in Storrs tomorrow with a deal where UConn took a half share for a decade and would be required to play Michigan and Ohio State home football games in Foxboro or the Meadowlands.

UConn would take this deal in a heartbeat. If the Big 10 wanted to capitalize on any value UConn has today they would do it immediately, because every day that UConn sits on the outside the programs lose value.

If the Big 10 won't buy UConn for 50 cents on the dollar today why would you delude yourself into thinking they would buy that devalued dollar in the future at any price?

UConn really has two hopes. One is realistic, one is doubtful. Virginia going to the Big 10 is the best chance to get to the ACC. Florida State going to the Big 10 or Big 12 is the second.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

If the Big 10 had any interest in UConn they could show up in Storrs tomorrow with a deal where UConn took a half share for a decade and would be required to play Michigan and Ohio State home football games in Foxboro or the Meadowlands.

UConn would take this deal in a heartbeat. If the Big 10 wanted to capitalize on any value UConn has today they would do it immediately, because every day that UConn sits on the outside the programs lose value.

If the Big 10 won't buy UConn for 50 cents on the dollar today why would you delude yourself into thinking they would buy that devalued dollar in the future at any price?

UConn really has two hopes. One is realistic, one is doubtful. Virginia going to the Big 10 is the best chance to get to the ACC. Florida State going to the Big 10 or Big 12 is the second.

the b10 has time. the nbe looks brutal on paper yes i know and that will hurt uconn. but next year we still have enough of a schedule in all sports where we will be ok. after that then it becomes a issue. if the b10 acts any time by next winter with uconn, we will pay our way out asap wvu style. no doubt in my mind.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Or they can only add in twos and one of their primary goals is to knock the acc off balance so they need UVA which is contingent on the UMD ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom