Analysis and Comments - Game 27 - UConn vs Georgetown (game 2) | The Boneyard

Analysis and Comments - Game 27 - UConn vs Georgetown (game 2)

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
COMMENTS

Georgetown is 16 - 9 overall and 6 - 8 Big East. They last played UConn on January 7th. In their last outing, they started (Graceann Bennett, Kelsey Ransom, Alex Cowan, Ariel Jenkins, and Victoria Rivera). The most consistent starters for Georgetown in the last 10 games are: (Kelsey Ransom, Victoria Rivera, Alex Cowan, Gracean Bennett, and Brianna Scott). It should be noted that May Brembry averages 26 minutes, Ariel Jenkins averages 11.5 minutes, and Jada Claude averages 10.7 minutes per game. Georgetown will start with 2 graduate students, 1 senior, 1 junior, and 1 sophomore.

The scorers for Georgetown were: Graceann Bennett - 13 points; Kelsey Ransom - 12 points; Alex Cowan - 10 points; Mya Bembry - 9 points; Ariel Jenkins - 7 points; Victoria Rivera - 2 points, and Jada Claude - 2 points. All of our starters scored in the double digits with Aaliyah Edwards leading the way with 18. The score was 83 to 55, a 28-point victory for UConn.

Georgetown averages 58.3 points per game and they make 4.6 three-pointers per game while shooting them at 28 percent. They are a pretty good rebounding team averaging 36.8 rebounds per game. In the first meeting with UConn, they dominated the glass pulling down 44 rebounds to UConn's 27. Georgetown averages 15.4 turnovers per game. They average 6.9 steals per game and 3.9 blocks per game.

ANALYSIS

Aaliyah Edwards - 6'3" vs Graceann Bennett - 6'3" -
In the first game Graceann gave Aaliyah all she could handle, scoring 13 points and grabbing 12 rebounds. She contributed 3 assists and 1 steal in their losing effort. Aaliyah had 18 points and 6 rebounds. She contributed 3 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block. I believe that Graceann played over her head in front of a home crowd. This game will be played at Storrs, CT and I think Aaliyah will come to play. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Paige Bueckers - 6'0" vs Breanna Scott - 6'4" -
While I don't like this match-up because Paige is playing out of position and giving up 4 inches, we simply do not have anyone else besides Ice who would match up with Breanna. In the last match-up, while Breanna did not start she played 25 minutes and she had 9 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 block. Based on her starting in 6 of the last 10 games I think she will get the start on Friday. Paige had 15 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Nika Muhl - 5'11" vs Kelsey Ransom - 5'10" -
In their first game Kelsey had 12 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists. UConn caused her to turn the ball over 5 times. Nika found herself in foul trouble committing 4 fouls but she managed to score 14 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists while going 4 for 5 from three-point. Nika was also a master thief in that game getting 4 steals.
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

Ashlynn Shade - 5'10" vs Victoria Rivera - 6'0" -
Victoria did not have a very good game against UConn in her first outing. She only had 2 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist. Ashlynn had a solid game. She had 16 points while going 2-5 from three-point. She also contributed 1 rebound, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 1 block.
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

KK Arnold 5'9" vs Alex Cowan 5'7" -
Alex played well against UConn in her first outing. She had 10 points, hitting 2-5 three-pointers. KK also played well in the first match-up. She had 12 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

BENCH

Georgetown will bring 14.4 points and 11.7 rebounds off the bench. UConn will bring 11.1 points and 7.4 rebounds off the bench.
ADVANTAGE - GEORGETOWN

INTANGIBLES

UConn playing at home, building on their win over Xavier after their loss in South Carolina. Geno imploring this team to be more offensive-minded.
ADVANTAGE - UCONN

COACHING

Geno and his staff have this one figured out. ADVANTAGE - UCONN

SCORE

UConn - 88

Georgetown - 52

MOV - 33

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In recent Senior Nights games, if I remember correctly, the team started off slowly, possibly due to the emotional factor of the ceremony and senior non starters starting. Even though the ceremony is going to be post game and we have no senior non starters, I am wondering if the seniors might still be a bit emotional. Hopefully not.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
In recent Senior Nights games, if I remember correctly, the team started off slowly, possibly due to the emotional factor of the ceremony and senior non starters starting. Even though the ceremony is going to be post game and we have no senior non starters, I am wondering if the seniors might still be a bit emotional. Hopefully not.
Interesting point. I am curious...Paige's name was included in Senior Night...I was hoping to finally see her and Azzi, healthy together on the court next year.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Correction the MOV for my score in the original post should be 36 not 33.

Reaction Score
If a player participates in Senior night activities; does that mean that they definitely will not be back next year? example Paige Beckers!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Has Paige said she is definitely coming back next year?

Reaction Score
If a player participates in Senior night activities; does that mean that they definitely will not be back next year? example Paige Beckers!
Dorka walked on Senior night and came back.

Reaction Score
Aubrey

Reaction Score
Why would Paige come back? She has nothing left to prove, the coaches are putting her in a position that doesn't highlight her talents, and she is clearly one of the top players coming out. College ball isn't the goal for people like Paige and she needs the bigger stage and brighter lights to realize her dream of being one of the best in the world.

The real question for me is will UConn stick with the small lineup or start preparing for the NCAA Tournament?

Reaction Score
Thanks again, @cferraro04

I like Graceann Bennett, a sentimental favorite. She always plays hard even when she’s overmatched. Same for Kelsey Ransom. Either one could have found a place in Husky team culture.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
In the Hartford Courant article today by Emily Adams, she quotes Geno as saying that he expects Aubrey to return next season but that the others haven`t said anything to him.

Aubrey`s return makes perfect sense. She can rehab at UConn all summer and hopefully be ready to play at least the second half of the season. That would also be an audition of the 2025 WNBA draft.

Hard to speculate on the others since I am not sure that they know. However, some comments from Paige from a couple of weeks ago suggest she is strongly considering returning.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
No but in the ceremony
And what has that got to do with my post that you quoted/replied to????? Her absence has nothing to do with last night's starting 5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom