An unabashedly positive post | The Boneyard

An unabashedly positive post

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know people have concerns about the team but this is NOT the thread in which to discuss them.

There are fans who aren't in-depth basketball analyst types who are frankly bewildered at what they see as undue criticism towards the team. They'd like to post their admiration of and excitement about our Huskies without having someone point out bad positioning on defense or turnover ratios. I know, those are valid topics and folks would like to talk about them but for the fans that just love to see the team play, let's have a positive-only thread where people bite their tongues to avoid raining on their fellow fans' parade. The Boneyard is big enough for all fans and Boneyarders are big-hearted enough to respect others' right to their opinions. Fair enough?

I'll start. I am impressed how the team attacked a daunting out of conference schedule this year. With a sophomore point guard who's playing a major role for the first time, other players with new roles or being asked to do unfamiliar things, and so many days on the road, the team has held up, mentally, really well. This with two of their best players battling migraines/injuries.

The Duquesne game will be emotional for Kia but she and the team will get a good rest over the holidays. I fully expect a charged up UConn to roll over poor Memphis on the 31st - and I'll be there to see it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nan, the experiment failed. There are always those, and mostly they come and go, who want to make their bones as serious sports fans by staking out a critical position on one or more of our athletes. Soooo good try.

Reaction Score
[Appreciate the effort Nan - personally I get bored to tears with the analysis/paralysis, nit-picking, etc., the main purpose of which seems to be to show how much the poster knows about the sport of basketball. And then to argue his points with some other Geno wannabe who of course knows much more. Oh well.]

I'm really excited about the way the team is taking shape this year. But a few things stand out for me: the way Crystal has emerged as a wonderful point guard; the way Azura has, game by game, become a very reliable and bigger & bigger contributor; and finally the way Megan has played her way into the mix - steadily improving with each outing.

I find it so interesting and fun to watch the evolution of this team. It's the process of a team coming together that I find fascinating. How will they react to the inevitable adversity that will be thrown their way? Who else is going to be able to step up & contribute on a regular basis? Which pair of eyeglasses will Geno wear tomorrow? Don't need the post-mortem X's & O's. Just love watching the girls demonstrate whatever their effort combined with Geno & CD's magic can produce!

Reaction Score
I have been following the Huskies for a few years now. I enjoy watching them play and you can see other teams starting to bring their game up (which Geno has been trying to do). The difference with this team then other schools is no one else has a CD. She is a rock for these girls and who keeps them grounded. They present themselves better in public then some young adults I know. they have class and style not to mention they play a great game of basketball! :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ..
1. Love the way Kia and Dangerfield are lighting it up from three. With them stroking it, it makes it harder for teams to key on Lou behind the arc.
2. Both Azura and Lou are showing much more balanced games this year - moving from the arc to the restricted area effectively and both are proving to be very capable passers. Azura has made some stunning entries from the top of the key.
3. Napheesa and Azura have finally started to gel with each other.
4. We are 6 weeks into the season, undefeated and relatively unchallenged, and it is looking better every week.

Reaction Score
There are fans who aren't in-depth basketball analyst types who are frankly bewildered at what they see as undue criticism towards the team. They'd like to post their admiration of and excitement about our Huskies without having someone point out bad positioning on defense or turnover ratios. I know, those are valid topics and folks would like to talk about them but for the fans that just love to see the team play, let's have a positive-only thread where people bite their tongues to avoid raining on their fellow fans' parade. The Boneyard is big enough for all fans and Boneyarders are big-hearted enough to respect others' right to their opinions. Fair enough?

I'll start. I am impressed how the team attacked a daunting out of conference schedule this year. With a sophomore point guard who's playing a major role for the first time, other players with new roles or being asked to do unfamiliar things, and so many days on the road, the team has held up, mentally, really well. This with two of their best players battling migraines/injuries.

The Duquesne game will be emotional for Kia but she and the team will get a good rest over the holidays. I fully expect a charged up UConn to roll over poor Memphis on the 31st - and I'll be there to see it.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you'll come up with a label for positive-only threads. How about PO? Can't think of a better way to discourage people from reading and responding than threads w/out sauce.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While we are saying what we like, I'd like to add how impressed I was and am by the way the team soldered on through a very tough OOC schedule when Lou went down AND the way Lou kept her mind right and came back almost seamlessly with her new, broader game. Stewie taught Lou well with the whole game demeanor/concentration thing.

Reaction Score
Nan, the experiment failed. There are always those, and mostly they come and go, who want to make their bones as serious sports fans by staking out a critical position on one or more of our athletes. Soooo good try.
I think Nan is saying this thread only, not the entire BY, Rocky. And, so far so good!

So much good stuff so far, a lot of it mentioned above. To add a couple:
1. Folks have already mentioned Lou, but would like to add something. Before Lou got hurt, she was showing another dimension of aggressiveness. Even Tuesday night (when she was wearing an ankle brace), I watched her get a terrific rebound, and then that great steal and put in at the end of the 3rd Q. Bodes well as she gets more strength back.
2. Yes, she's a freshman, so there's up-and-down, but OMG does Megan move well on the court. The kid has got such instincts.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Great post.I,for one,think the team as a whole and individually,are doing just fine.Freshmen always take time to develop and get up to speed.Transfers in usually take some time to adjust to the game play and what their team mates are expecting,doing.Injuries have played a part in the flow of the games and the execution.
Yet,the team keeps everything in check,and continues winning.
I do not remember a year that the coaching staff has not found flaws in game play,but this year it seems the critique is less severe,and it seems that overall the team is having some fun.
There are very good players on this team,but no Diana,Maya,or Breanna,and yet,I still feel this team can go all the way as most of us hope they can.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
To me, the most positive thing about this forum IS the forum. I get to engage here in a conversation with likeable, intelligent, and passionate Husky fans. We disagree sometimes, but we usually do it without excessive vitriol.

As to the team, I love to watch dedicated athletes move as if in ballet. Basketball is as much a game of graceful, controlled movement as it is a game of power. Watch our players move without the ball. You’ll see what I mean.

Thank you to everyone for their insightful posts. I truly enjoy reading your views and being a small part of your Husky experience as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think Nan is saying this thread only, not the entire BY, Rocky.

I got that. You think Clint Eastwood's post was positive? You know, the one that immediately followed Nan's. On edit: Clint's post disappeared: imagine that.

Reaction Score
One of the best qualities of the BY is that it is mostly self-correcting. Even w/out "executive" help, we are generally able to sort out what is and what is not acceptable. BYers are quick to jump on folks who stray too far from what is acceptable here and to applaud what is well done. For example, we welcome posters from other teams so long as they are civil and respect that this is a Husky site. In fact, I would say that thoughts outside our usual comfort zone are stimulating and provoke assessment and reassessment. Critical thinking is, in my opinion, the real goal of a quality education. It requires an array of stimuli, not the deadening effect of a single attitude or point of view.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I know people have concerns about the team but this is NOT the thread in which to discuss them.

The Duquesne game will be emotional for Kia but she and the team will get a good rest over the holidays. I fully expect a charged up UConn to roll over poor Memphis on the 31st - and I'll be there to see it.
When I first started posting on the BY I thought all I would read would be positive comments. Living here in St. Louis and reading about Uconn, I thought UCONN fans were very positive about their team and not the kind who would be spoiled by success. Some, anyway.

Reaction Score
From the west coast, UCONN WBB fans are very lucky to have the opportunity to watch such beautiful basketball (better than any men's or women's team--amateur or professional). Any time I have heard a UCONN WBB player interviewed, my 1st thought is they were raised by great parents. Best of all, I love the coach...to me, he is a throwback (a teacher), and, really cares about his kids. We are fortunate to have that now at Oregon State University. I marvel at how each coach, in their own individual way, demonstrate that they are there for the kids (and fans).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of the best qualities of the BY is that it is mostly self-correcting. Even w/out "executive" help, we are generally able to sort out what is and what is not acceptable. BYers are quick to jump on folks who stray too far from what is acceptable here and to applaud what is well done. For example, we welcome posters from other teams so long as they are civil and respect that this is a Husky site. In fact, I would say that thoughts outside our usual comfort zone are stimulating and provoke assessment and reassessment. Critical thinking is, in my opinion, the real goal of a quality education. It requires an array of stimuli, not the deadening effect of a single attitude or point of view.
We have a slice of the community that doesn't know what a zone defense is and doesn't care. These folks just enjoy seeing the team - Their Girls - as though they're daughters or granddaughters and they don't know why there needs to be criticism. Through the years, I've heard from many who they're afraid to post, and that's a shame. Our silent fellow fans shouldn't have to worry about being belittled by well-meaning but sometimes gruff fans, as well as the occasional sneering blowhard. So, I thought for one thread, I'd create a safe zone.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with critical analysis; it's just not for everyone.

Reaction Score
We have a slice of the community that doesn't know what a zone defense is and doesn't care. These folks just enjoy seeing the team - Their Girls - as though they're daughters or granddaughters and they don't know why there needs to be criticism. Through the years, I've heard from many who they're afraid to post, and that's a shame. Our silent fellow fans shouldn't have to worry about being belittled by well-meaning but sometimes gruff fans, as well as the occasional sneering blowhard. So, I thought for one thread, I'd create a safe zone.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with critical analysis; it's just not for everyone.

Don't mind critical analysis, just when it gets nasty, either toward a player or another poster.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I don't like this thread. The Husky's stink this year, Geno's mailing it in. My back itches, I can't reach it, and I'm starting to become a Husky fan in more than just name. My bitching is finished. Can I now just moan?

Reaction Score
I like the idea of putting PO at the beginning of the thread if that's what the OP wants. To be honest, I sometimes shy away from posting because at times I've let my emotions run away with me because I love the way one of the players play or their story or whatever and some snide guy jumps on some off the cuff remark I have made. But at other times I enjoy the tangles and want to get into the nitty gritty. So, I like the idea of putting PO at the beginning of the thread and then we can have both.

I completely agree with caramel's post. I think they are entertaining and talented and doing just fine. I'm also looking forward to Batouly coming along with her health and play. I think she will be doing great by year's end. She seems to really go after rebounds and moves a lot like Megan does, solid and athletic.

Reaction Score

We like to point out the little things. It makes us feel like little Genos.;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Glue your keyboard to your back, and fix both problems, no? ;)
How's that? I've already eaten half of my keyboard and I still can't reach my back. UConn posters stink!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am back to add a little praise - not for the team but for the boneyard and more specifically for the moderators.

This is hands down the best sports forum I have ever found. And I follow a number of teams and sports and nothing comes close to this forum.
Starts with knowledgeable fans and thoughtful posts. And the high level of activity of all the posters - it makes this site a daily visit because the activity here is so high even off season. (Doesn't hurt that the former players are still so important to all levels of basketball and provide extra fodder!)
Add in a great group of 'visitors' from other teams' fan bases who keep us a little honest in a respectful way and add good national perspective.
And while we are pretty good at self policing, the reality is that we like the players on the court need rules and referees to enforce them. And the moderators on this site are the best around. Visits to other sites prove how important the quality and speed of moderation is to the maintenance of a forum. SO ...

I would like to send special holiday thanks to our moderators!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom