An outsider's impression of UConn/Storrs... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

An outsider's impression of UConn/Storrs...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Your response is nothing less than I'd expect from a gracious southern gentleman. I sound like a broken record, but you're welcome here on the BY anytime. Despite your love of (yuck) okra, your affection for Dawn and those young ladies combined with your knowledge of the game would be a welcome addition to any site.

Fried okra is a southern delicacy and I miss it dearly.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
During the winter break, we were roomed in the ag dorms 74-... All the athletes of ongoing sports were housed there. The walk to the gym could be the longest walk of your life when the wind was blowing in the winter.

That walk is why I have lived in the deep south ever since graduation.

Reaction Score
That walk is why I have lived in the deep south ever since graduation.
LOL. Brother of mine.
I graduated, worked in NYC for 7 years while going to Fairfield for MS Finance.
Then straight to Hilo Hawaii for 15 years. ALL because of that dang walk. My hiking boots still have snow in them.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I was surrounded by young people and myself being a recent college grad I'm usually surrounded by married old people (no offense) all day at work.

I definitely plan to return.. perhaps this season for an NCAA tournament game or something (parking suggestions are welcome :D) but I do know that I'll be back.

I cannot fathom where you sat in Gampel in order to be "surrounded by young people," unless you were seated in the student "end zone" section!

Winter: my wife graduated UConn in 1966, so I've been treated (?) to repeated narratives about her expeditions across the tundra of the campus with the wind lashing her face.

Parking: after the fiasco of parking in one of the garages on campus and taking 45 minutes to leave after the game, we always park in Lot #8, a very short walk down the hill to Gampel. $10 this year, but easy, pretty quick egress from the lot and campus.

I add my voice to the welcome and praise from others for your knowledgable and balanced contributions to the discussions and debates here.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I cannot fathom where you sat in Gampel in order to be "surrounded by young people," unless you were seated in the student "end zone" section!

Winter: my wife graduated UConn in 1966, so I've been treated (?) to repeated narratives about her expeditions across the tundra of the campus with the wind lashing her face.

Parking: after the fiasco of parking in one of the garages on campus and taking 45 minutes to leave after the game, we always park in Lot #8, a very short walk down the hill to Gampel. $10 this year, but easy, pretty quick egress from the lot and campus.

I add my voice to the welcome and praise from others for your knowledgable and balanced contributions to the discussions and debates here.

I was near the student section but definitely not in it.

I was referring to when I was walking around campus and exploring/meeting people... it was nice being around twenty-somethings for once haha..

UConnNick

Reaction Score
LOL. Brother of mine.
I graduated, worked in NYC for 7 years while going to Fairfield for MS Finance.
Then straight to Hilo Hawaii for 15 years. ALL because of that dang walk. My hiking boots still have snow in them.

If you were there in '74-'75 then we were there together, my friend. Wasn't that winter semester the one when we took our finals in the dark due to an ice storm? The power was out everywhere. I remember that like it was yesterday. Walking toward the building where one of my exams was taken, I was facing a howling headwind. You had the very weird sensation that you were walking but not making any forward progress. I decided right then I was moving to the tropics after graduation that coming spring.

Reaction Score
And please, say HI to A'ja from all of us at UCONN. She loves her Dad who coached her first!

Unfortunately, had to take Coates off that LIKE list during this game after she willfully and covertly knuckled Lou in the stomach and knocked Lou's wind out. Coates is a much better player this year, so I was looking to enjoy her new skill. But that move, when you're losing, just knocks out Alaina's class until nothing but skin and bones are left to view.

Reaction Score
If you were there in '74-'75 then we were there together, my friend. Wasn't that winter semester the one when we took our finals in the dark due to an ice storm? The power was out everywhere. I remember that like it was yesterday. Walking toward the building where one of my exams was taken, I was facing a howling headwind. You had the very weird sensation that you were walking but not making any forward progress. I decided right then I was moving to the tropics after graduation that coming spring.
Awesome! Yes, took several exams using candles and flashlites.
Didn't wait for you tho, quit in Dec 75, after those wonderful memories, joined the uscg, flew search and rescue out of HI for 4yrs, then back to UCONN under GI bill. Moved back to Hilo after degreeing up in CT. It was that fateful winter storm.

Reaction Score
OMG! I was there for the ice storm too. No power over night, wires down on campus. Had finals anyway! We were just told not to touch any wires. Still can't stand the smell of melon candles that my roommate used.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
OMG! I was there for the ice storm too. No power over night, wires down on campus. Had finals anyway! We were just told not to touch any wires. Still can't stand the smell of melon candles that my roommate used.

We better quit this discussion, since it makes us look like old farts who complain about wearing snowshoes and trudging through yoooge snowdrifts to attend school. I am jealous of the current UConn student body because they have beach volleyball on campus now.

Reaction Score
I have not been back to the campus since 1970-72.

Oh, oh... We're coming, err, crawling, out of the bushes!

I was ONLY at UCONN from 1970-72.

Did my first two years skiing at the Univ of Denver.
Completed back home in CT.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I cannot imagine what the campus looks like anymore from all the changes that have been made. I have not been back to the campus since 1970-72 since the Marine Corps sent me back to study when I was stationed in Groton. Originally, graduated in 1964.

Well old dog, I graduated in 1967, yikes, 50 years ago, but still here to tell about it. I've been back many times. You would not recognize the place. Less green places but an impressive campus. In a lot of ways citified compared to what you were used to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom