An outsider's impression of UConn/Storrs... | The Boneyard

An outsider's impression of UConn/Storrs...

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yesterday was my first time visiting Storrs/UConn and other than the result's of the game.. I have nothing negative to say about either. I was in Storrs hours before the game and had plenty of time to look around and explore... and thanks to my coworker, a UConn alum, I was able to get a sort of behind the scenes look at everything. Storrs is a quaint college town (realistically a hamlet) but it works. I'm a fan of the Storrs Center, which seems pretty new.. and dinner at Geno's restaurant was fantastic.

UConn the school seems like a great place to attend college.. I walked around campus, which is very nice (even covered in snow, eww gross), explored its really nice bookstore and talked to students. I really enjoyed walking around the campus (it's something I tend to do when visiting other schools for games) and trying to understand the campus culture... maybe it was because I was surrounded by young people and myself being a recent college grad I'm usually surrounded by married old people (no offense) all day at work.

Gampel is an interesting college basketball venue. The display of history and accomplishment in the rafters is simply breathtaking and inspiring.. the pregame activities are awesome. Although completely different than the modern arena, I actually think the idea of a "concourse" that surrounds the court instead of being "outside" is kind of cool. It worked for me yesterday, at least. The UConn student section is simply amazing... easily the best in WCBB, has to be. The restroom configuration is weird, but once you figure it out you're set. UConn fans themselves are pretty amazing. I assumed going in that most would be kind of standoffish (like some of you can be here :rolleyes:) but that's not the reception I got at all and I was DECKED OUT in South Carolina garb.. they were warm, welcoming, and VERY knowledgeable, I was impressed how much they knew about our players, the SEC, etc.... I talked with the fans in my section for most of the game and a little after while hanging out during the post game celebrations.

All in all, I had a great time. I definitely plan to return.. perhaps this season for an NCAA tournament game or something (parking suggestions are welcome :D) but I do know that I'll be back.

Reaction Score
SCGamecock, I love reading your posts. You are knowledgeable about WCBB and provide a viewpoint that makes this board richer for it. Please continue providing your insight especially about the Gamecocks and SEC WCBB.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great to hear such high praise! I was born and raised in Storrs and it was a great place to grow up. It has changes dramatically since then, and UConn is to some degree straining the available space and facilities as it continues to expand. The Storrs Center is brand new and still filling in. It is great having so much available, though the cheapness of the architecture leaves me and others flat. Still, there was almost nothing available in town prior to its construction. I like Geno's Grill and it is the best restaurant in the immediate area.

And glad that the UConn faithful treated you well! And come on back any time.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Great to hear such high praise! I was born and raised in Storrs and it was a great place to grow up. It has changes dramatically since then, and UConn is to some degree straining the available space and facilities as it continues to expand. The Storrs Center is brand new and still filling in. It is great having so much available, though the cheapness of the architecture leaves me and others flat. Still, there was almost nothing available in town prior to its construction. I like Geno's Grill and it is the best restaurant in the immediate area.

And glad that the UConn faithful treated you well! And come on back any time.

I was actually surprised at how big the campus is. It's definitely not small in any way. And I see that they are building a nice new Rec Center.. I was overall very impressed with the school itself..

Reaction Score
I was actually surprised at how big the campus is. It's definitely not small in any way. And I see that they are building a nice new Rec Center.. I was overall very impressed with the school itself..
Tremendous growth the past 10 years. Legislature (until recent economic pressures) has been wonderfully supportive; UConn's on a real roll (and I don't even work there).

Great and gracious initial post. Only one thing I'd disagree with: The restroom configuration is weird, but once you figure it out you're set. You are never set with those restrooms! :)

Reaction Score
LOL!!! I am hoping that one day our football team will play your team at Rentchler Field in East Hartford. You will be surprised how nice that is.

Reaction Score
LOL!!! I am hoping that one day our football team will play your team at Rentchler Field in East Hartford. You will be surprised how nice that is.

Don't mean to hijack or derail this thread but I agree that The Rent is a really nice venue and only wish that it was logistically possible to have it on campus. I think that would have really helped attendance numbers.

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine what the campus looks like anymore from all the changes that have been made. I have not been back to the campus since 1970-72 since the Marine Corps sent me back to study when I was stationed in Groton. Originally, graduated in 1964.

Reaction Score
Apparently we all read your postings---you just made many more LIKES ---I went to a lot of UConn Men and Women games at Storrs and while we may chide the interlopers from other team--you are actually respected in Storrs. Every crowd has an "ass" but hopefully you met none. For decades, many decades, Uconn fans have been the best--for Uconn.
If you have read my posting--I respect any one who stands up for their team and cheers them loudly--and supports them fully--
You have done so here. Thanks for the nice words.

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine what the campus looks like anymore from all the changes that have been made. I have not been back to the campus since 1970-72 since the Marine Corps sent me back to study when I was stationed in Groton. Originally, graduated in 1964.
Semper Fi!!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Wonder what causes a player from California to come to Storrs? Half that stuff wasn't there when Taurasi was there. The practice facility must be amazing, did you get into that?

I didn't but I would've loved to see it. I believe it's private so I'm not sure that it's open to the general public.. I've heard it's amazing though.

Reaction Score
Wonder what causes a player from California to come to Storrs? Half that stuff wasn't there when Taurasi was there. The practice facility must be amazing, did you get into that?

I remembered faintly that Geno served the Taurasi wine to the mother and Diana to seal the deal!!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yesterday was my first time visiting Storrs/UConn and other than the result's of the game.. I have nothing negative to say about either. I was in Storrs hours before the game and had plenty of time to look around and explore.. and thanks to my coworker, a UConn alum, I was able to get a sort of behind the scenes look at everything. Storrs is a quaint college town (realistically a hamlet) but it works. I'm a fan of the Storrs Center, which seems pretty new.. and dinner at Geno's restaurant was fantastic.

UConn the school seems like a great place to attend college.. I walked around campus, which is very nice (even covered in snow, eww gross), explored its really nice bookstore and talked to students. I really enjoyed walking around the campus (it's something I tend to do when visiting other schools for games) and trying to understand the campus culture.. maybe it was because I was surrounded by young people and myself being a recent college grad I'm usually surrounded by married old people (no offense) all day at work.

Gampel is an interesting college basketball venue. The display of history and accomplishment in the rafters is simply breathtaking and inspiring.. the pregame activities are awesome. Although completely different than the modern arena, I actually think the idea of a "concourse" that surrounds the court instead of being "outside" is kind of cool. It worked for me yesterday, at least. The UConn student section is simply amazing.. easily the best in WCBB, has to be. The restroom configuration is weird, but once you figure it out you're set. UConn fans themselves are pretty amazing. I assumed going in that most would be kind of standoffish (like some of you can be here :rolleyes:) but that's not the reception I got at all and I was DECKED OUT in South Carolina garb.. they were warm, welcoming, and VERY knowledgeable, I was impressed how much they knew about our players, the SEC, etc... I talked with the fans in my section for most of the game and a little after while hanging out during the post game celebrations.

All in all, I had a great time. I definitely plan to return.. perhaps this season for an NCAA tournament game or something (parking suggestions are welcome :D) but I do know that I'll be back.
Your response is nothing less than I'd expect from a gracious southern gentleman. I sound like a broken record, but you're welcome here on the BY anytime. Despite your love of (yuck) okra, your affection for Dawn and those young ladies combined with your knowledge of the game would be a welcome addition to any site.

Reaction Score
Yesterday was my first time visiting Storrs/UConn and other than the result's of the game.. I have nothing negative to say about either. I was in Storrs hours before the game and had plenty of time to look around and explore.. and thanks to my coworker, a UConn alum, I was able to get a sort of behind the scenes look at everything. Storrs is a quaint college town (realistically a hamlet) but it works. I'm a fan of the Storrs Center, which seems pretty new.. and dinner at Geno's restaurant was fantastic.

UConn the school seems like a great place to attend college.. I walked around campus, which is very nice (even covered in snow, eww gross), explored its really nice bookstore and talked to students. I really enjoyed walking around the campus (it's something I tend to do when visiting other schools for games) and trying to understand the campus culture.. maybe it was because I was surrounded by young people and myself being a recent college grad I'm usually surrounded by married old people (no offense) all day at work.

Gampel is an interesting college basketball venue. The display of history and accomplishment in the rafters is simply breathtaking and inspiring.. the pregame activities are awesome. Although completely different than the modern arena, I actually think the idea of a "concourse" that surrounds the court instead of being "outside" is kind of cool. It worked for me yesterday, at least. The UConn student section is simply amazing.. easily the best in WCBB, has to be. The restroom configuration is weird, but once you figure it out you're set. UConn fans themselves are pretty amazing. I assumed going in that most would be kind of standoffish (like some of you can be here :rolleyes:) but that's not the reception I got at all and I was DECKED OUT in South Carolina garb.. they were warm, welcoming, and VERY knowledgeable, I was impressed how much they knew about our players, the SEC, etc... I talked with the fans in my section for most of the game and a little after while hanging out during the post game celebrations.

I would like to add an appreciation of Cocky Talk to your post.
While Cocky Talk strongly supported SCAR over Uconn, there was no anti-Geno or anti-Uconn rant.

Reaction Score
I would like to add an appreciation of Cocky Talk to your post.
While Cocky Talk strongly supported SCAR over Uconn, there was no anti-Geno or anti-Uconn rant.
To be fair I think the anti-UConn anti-Geno stuff is mostly dead at this point. From what I've seen it's morphed into outright respect which is not a huge surprise. I guess it helps that we're not really anyone's (long term) rival.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't but I would've loved to see it. I believe it's private so I'm not sure that it's open to the general public.. I've heard it's amazing though.
The lobby area is open to the public, and I bet you could talk someone into a quick peak if either the men's or women's side is not in use. It is really nice with the central section being a shared set of training rooms.

Reaction Score
PARKING; It's been 15 years since I've left CT, but when I visited Storrs, I would park opposite the main campus, in the School of Agriculture, (Storrs Campus Map | University of Connecticut) there were lots there for general parking, and visitors, and they were never full. From there you walk across 195 (Storrs Rd), and go up the hill to the basketball complex, or theater or whatever. All free and easy, but very cold when the winds blew. If you enjoy walking and seeing the campus, this is a much better way to come and go, much better then being stuck in a parking lot. The walk back gives you a chance to stretch your legs after a long sit, and a easy exit with the car also.

Reaction Score
PARKING; It's been 15 years since I've left CT, but when I visited Storrs, I would park opposite the main campus, in the School of Agriculture, (Storrs Campus Map | University of Connecticut) there were lots there for general parking, and visitors, and they were never full. From there you walk across 195 (Storrs Rd), and go up the hill to the basketball complex, or theater or whatever. All free and easy, but very cold when the winds blew. If you enjoy walking and seeing the campus, this is a much better way to come and go, much better then being stuck in a parking lot. The walk back gives you a chance to stretch your legs after a long sit, and a easy exit with the car also.
During the winter break, we were roomed in the ag dorms 74-.... All the athletes of ongoing sports were housed there. The walk to the gym could be the longest walk of your life when the wind was blowing in the winter.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Thank you!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and describing them at length. I'm a longtime UConn fan but have never been to Storrs (I've never lived nearby, and am now a left-coaster). Reading your report only intensified my desire to make the pilgrimage someday soon.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Your response is nothing less than I'd expect from a gracious southern gentleman. I sound like a broken record, but you're welcome here on the BY anytime. Despite your love of (yuck) okra, your affection for Dawn and those young ladies combined with your knowledge of the game would be a welcome addition to any site.
wow you remembered that fact, WOW! Tells me how serious I take comments these days

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom