An old pet peeve with the BY | The Boneyard

An old pet peeve with the BY

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
This just irritates me, and I think many others.

Let's spell our heroines' names right.

This season, Stef is the most abused. Which is expecially disappointing since she been very prominet here for 3 years -- plus before she got here.

Easy to make mistakes and typos, but a lot of it is just carelessness. Why not plant in your head that you should give a second look whenever you write about Dolson ..

Reaction Score
This just ignores me, and I think many others.

This season, Stef is the most abused. Which is expecially disappointing sinceshe been very prominet here for 3 years -- plus before she got here.

Easy to make mistakes and typos, but a lot of it is just carelessness. Why not plant in your head that you should give a second look whenever you write about Dolson ..

And some people get irritated by folks who aren't willing to proofread or learn how to spell.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And some people get irritated by folks who aren't willing to proofread or learn how to spell.
Or use proper grammar. :rolleyes:

since she been

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This just irritates me, and I think many others.

This season, Stef is the most abused. Which is expecially disappointing since she been very prominet here for 3 years -- plus before she got here.

Sorry Paco, I think some people are gonna have fun with this one. But you did it to yourself. :D

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sorry Paco, I think some people are gonna have fun with this one. But you did it to yourself. :D

I agree...I know that my spelling is not stellar, and often after posting I go back and correct the errors. I also misspell Stefanie's name very often, having more familiarity with the other spelling (ph rather than f). When I am blasting through posts, especially during a game, these are the errors that are most often to occur. I make no excuses, I ask for tolerance.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

That's fine.

Now, should I conclude that no one else has a problem with repeatedly getting a kid's name wrong? I mean, I expect it from Tony :) ... though he has improved markedly, and I don't recall that he has had a Stefanie issue.

Reaction Score
My mother could never get my name right, even calling me by the dogs names on occasion. Mostly, she used my sisters name when referring to me. On top of that, old habits die hard. I have known several "Steph"s in my life. Dolson is the first "Stef". I still catch myself skipping into the phonetic "ph" on occasion. As someone whose non-Boneyard name has been spelled probably a dozen different ways, I don't find the misspelling or even mispronouncing my name that big of deal. Just don't spell my handle YukonChapette. That just isn't right.:)

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
That's fine.

Now, should I conclude that no one else has a problem with repeatedly getting a kid's name wrong? I mean, I expect it from Tony :) ... though he has improved markedly, and I don't recall that he has had a Stefanie issue.
No, you are not the only BYer who has a problem with this.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Just don't spell my handle YukonChapette. That just isn't right.:)

You just crack me up.

BTW - Rady rhymes with Lady....for those who are curious...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's fine.

Now, should I conclude that no one else has a problem with repeatedly getting a kid's name wrong?
No, just when you correct or complain about people's spelling/grammar/etc on a message board, it's probably best to make sure your post is exquisite.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just don't spell my handle YukonChapette. That just isn't right.:)

YukonChapette? Why would someone do that? You have a really memorable name UConnChapit no one could make a mistake with your moniker.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i honestly think that stef dolsom should be called up to the mens team. she works her ass off on the court and boxes out well. we need a player who can board with the best and based on the last thread i read here i see no reason why this isn't a serious conversation. her wmba stok would soar with this. we can send u a player if needed but i think the girls team is deep enough right now anyway.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
No, you are not the only BYer who has a problem with this.

Actually, if I were to take the time to stop and think about it, there are grammatical and spelling errors galore (at times) on any forum.

I "would honestly say" that life is short, so I tend "to not want" to waste any of it worrying about what is "write" and "rong", "hear" or "their", on the "bonyard" or "anyplace" else I "look at".

I get irritated with myself when I make errors, but any mistakes belonging to anyone else is their problem....or not.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
YukonChapette? Why would someone do that? You have a really memorable name UConnChapit no one could make a mistake with your moniker.

Ewekahn Chapstick? What, Suzie's got a sister?

Reaction Score
No, just when you correct or complain about people's spelling/grammar/etc on a message board, it's probably best to make sure your post is exquisite.
You meant to write exemplary, n'est-ce pas?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Actually, if I were to take the time to stop and think about it, there are grammatical and spelling errors galore (at times) on any forum.

I "would honestly say" that life is short, so I tend "to not want" to waste any of it worrying about what is "write" and "rong", "hear" or "their", on the "bonyard" or "anyplace" else I "look at".

I get irritated with myself when I make errors, but any mistakes belonging to anyone else is their problem....or not.
I don't have a problem with spelling, grammar etc' as long as the poster does not make things so bad the post becomes difficult to read. But getting our players' names right is a different thing altogether, IMO. It's about having proper respect for our players.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with spelling, grammar etc' as long as the poster does not make things so bad the post becomes difficult to read. But getting our players' names right is a different thing altogether, IMO. It's about having proper respect for our players.

I would argue that making your posts readable is about having proper respect for your fellow board members.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I would argue that this is a fan forum, and as such each posts to his own gifts. what right do any of us have to find fault with the spelling and grammer of the postings of others?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You meant to write exemplary, n'est-ce pas?
Nope, I meant exquisite - marked by elaborate execution.

Although exemplary would have worked also. (maybe better???):rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would argue that this is a fan forum, and as such each posts to his own gifts. what right do any of us have to find fault with the spelling and grammer of the postings of others?

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
Gifts? Now we have to bring gifts to the board. Gee whiz. It is getting pretty demanding around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom