An insightful shout-out to Kia Nurse's defense | The Boneyard

An insightful shout-out to Kia Nurse's defense

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In response to a tweeted question by LaChina Robinson about the most impressive performance in the WCBB season thus far, this was Andraya Carter, former Lady Vol and current SEC Network analyst:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But, but, but...Kia didn't score a lot against Stanford. I know she was tired from playing defense and all and there were the rebounds and steals and assists and stuff, but she was supposedly awful and terrible according to the pundits. I guess there's more to basketball than just scoring, huh?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But, but, but...Kia didn't score a lot against Stanford. I know she was tired from playing defense and all and there were the rebounds and steals and assists and stuff, but she was supposedly awful and terrible according to the pundits. I guess there's more to basketball than just scoring, huh?
79f9d4358fc9ac2fef452c91c2f6c35e.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not according to some on this board. The only way to have a good game is to score a lot of points. Based on that reasoning, Kia Stokes was a terrible player.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That's some fine defense there. Really unappreciated stuff that doesn't show up in a box score but extremely important to the team.
Exactly, and that is Exhibit A of why Kia Nurse has been a fixture in the starting lineup since mid-November 2014, and why she doesn't get yanked just for missing some shots. Geno notices and appreciates defense.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I only wished her knees would have held up. I did like the way she played Hustle, effort.

Reaction Score
Exactly, and that is Exhibit A of why Kia Nurse has been a fixture in the starting lineup since mid-November 2014, and why she doesn't get yanked just for missing some shots. Geno notices and appreciates defense.

And, just in case no-one noticed, when the team needs her to score, she drains a bunch of shots. Kia does WHATEVER is needed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Her defensive stance, positioning, arm angles and movement in this clip is perfect. This could be used in a clinic on how to play defense off the ball.
Besides the outstanding techniques it also illustrates a very hard point for coaches to get across to players: put your work in BEFORE your player gets the ball. I was watching OSU play Louisville the other night and not one single player on either team got this concept. Very player in that game gave up the catch and then became Chuck (fake Charlie) hustle after the offensive player already got the ball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Besides the outstanding techniques it also illustrates a very hard point for coaches to get across to players: put your work in BEFORE your player gets the ball. I was watching OSU play Louisville the other night and not one single player on either team got this concept. Very player in that game gave up the catch and then became Chuck (fake Charlie) hustle after the offensive player already got the ball.
Moriah--the DPOY--was excellent at face-guarding. I think she guarded KMac into the locker room. :D

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yep, it's better to guard the player than guard the ball. A player can't shoot if she can't get the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom