An alternate view: UConn to B1G 2016 via hockey affiliation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

An alternate view: UConn to B1G 2016 via hockey affiliation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reading comp, kids.

ACC, not AAC.

Dimwits.

You said ACC....Dooley said AAC. Your analogy is fine...his is pretty far off.

Reaction Score
The sentiment to take all or nothing by some posters is disturbing to me. Get our foot in the door anyway we can. Remember the decision not to do the home and away series with Note Dame because they wouldn't play in east Hartford? Wouldn't we love to have that opportunity back?
Screw ND. We can schedule them anytime we want for a neutral site or away game. If we can play Michigan home then we can play anyone at home.

Reaction Score
Screw ND. We can schedule them anytime we want for a neutral site or away game. If we can play Michigan home then we can play anyone at home.

Yes. Dead on. We can get a home game like that, based on our history at the Rent, once every 14 years. Just keep pretending that we could get Michigan for a one and one again (even thought Michigan made clear they wouldn't do this again).

Having said that, we are not joining the Big Ten for hockey only, and they are not going to bring us into the Big Ten, if they ever do, with hockey being near the important parts of the decision making process. Sheesh.

Reaction Score
Yes. Dead on. We can get a home game like that, based on our history at the Rent, once every 14 years. Just keep pretending that we could get Michigan for a one and one again (even thought Michigan made clear they wouldn't do this again).

Having said that, we are not joining the Big Ten for hockey only, and they are not going to bring us into the Big Ten, if they ever do, with hockey being near the important parts of the decision making process. Sheesh.
Not pretending anything. Will playing any P5 team away with no return game help us get in a P5? It has not so far and doubt it will help in the future. If it would help then I would be for it. Has it helped any others in our position?

Reaction Score
Not pretending anything. Will playing any P5 team away with no return game help us get in a P5? It has not so far and doubt it will help in the future. If it would help then I would be for it. Has it helped any others in our position?

No, of course it won't get us in the P-5. Who the heck said that? It just might occasionally get us a game we could drive to against a team that beating would actually mean something

Reaction Score
You are comparing apples to oranges. The Hockey East is the unquestioned top college hockey conference in the country. The IceBus plays against nationally ranked opponents every single week. Leaving Hockey East for the B1G Hockey conference would be like a SEC school taking its football program out and putting it in the AAC.

There are only 2 scenarios that UConn should be receptive to leaving HE for the B1G:

1. it leads to full-time, all-in, B1G membership in the near future;
2. the B1G is somehow able to secure a hockey TV contract that would provide an annual revenue that is higher than our AAC deal (probably more likely)...AND...word leaks that several of the top HE programs are on-board with leaving too (BU, BC, etc).

"Leaving Hockey East for the BIG Hockey conference would be like a SEC school taking its football program out and putting it in the AAC."

Nonsense, when speaking long-term. But I will agree with you if you think college hockey has no need for say a P5 type structure and leagues should be concerned with intimate, geographical rivals - essential when it comes to the regional nature of American amateur hockey.

You really don't know hockey history very well, and I mean all time, and not just some recent trend, where power shifts east for a brief run - nothing new if you follow college hockey history. It will head back west soon enough. It's only natural.

The current BIG hockey members boast 23 NCAA titles. The AAC cannot account for such numbers in football. So your SEC analogy is complete bunk.

The WCHA was the SEC of college hockey before the BIG killed it & frankly it's not even close: national championships, NHL players, Frozen Four appearances, tradition, etc. It was the only conference to ever field the entire Frozen Four. Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota were all once WCHA members along with Denver, ND, Colorado College and Minnesota Duluth - members who left the WCHA as well.

Why? Because dictator Delany had to create a BIG hockey conference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm BIG fan, and an alum of Minnesota and Wisconsin. I also remain a big supporter of getting UConn in the BIG for ALL SPORTS.

But there was only one need to create a BIG hockey conference: money. Minnesota and Wisconsin hockey fans overwhelmingly objected to the near destruction of the WCHA & loss of intimate geographical rivals that say Hockey East currently enjoys. It's a GD shame what it has done to hockey in the Upper Midwest. I hate it what happened to the WCHA. But BIG hockey is still young in terms of history - the power programs will inevitably adapt & cycle through periods of dominance.

Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota were at one time WCHA members, only Minny and Wisky stuck with the conference til the creation of the BIG. Michigan & Michigan State would leave the WCHA to create CCHA and hopefully grow the sport. Again, those 4 teams, now current BIG members, account for 23 NCAA titles. FYI, that's more titles than the entire current Hockey East - all time.

It's absolutely tragic what happened to the WCHA & I blame the BIG despite being a Minnesota alum. We lost the intimate rivalries that Hockey East enjoys because all of our conference rivals are now out of state. We also lost one of college hockey's biggest rivalry games: North Dakota - Minnesota.

It will take a long time for any current college hockey conference to equal the history of the WCHA.

PS Minny owns the all-time series against BC & every other Hockey East member, minus Boston U - and that's a damn close margin. But we produce far more NHL talent than Mass, despite being a smaller state. But I will confess, Mass has a fantastic culture of college hockey, similar to Minnesota because there are so many D1 teams & they mostly share the same conference. Well because of the BIG hockey conference, Minnesota lost 4 in-state rivals. Still not happy about this shameful greed grab by the BIG.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
"Leaving Hockey East for the BIG Hockey conference would be like a SEC school taking its football program out and putting it in the AAC."

Nonsense, when speaking long-term. But I will agree with you if you think college hockey has no need for say a P5 type structure and leagues should be concerned with intimate, geographical rivals - essential when it comes to the regional nature of American amateur hockey.

You really don't know hockey history very well, and I mean all time, and not just some recent trend, where power shifts east for a brief run - nothing new if you follow college hockey history. It will head back west soon enough. It's only natural.

The current BIG hockey members boast 23 NCAA titles. The AAC cannot account for such numbers in football. So your SEC analogy is complete bunk.

The WCHA was the SEC of college hockey before the BIG killed it & frankly it's not even close: national championships, NHL players, Frozen Four appearances, tradition, etc. It was the only conference to ever field the entire Frozen Four. Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota were all once WCHA members along with Denver, ND, Colorado College and Minnesota Duluth - members who left the WCHA as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm BIG fan, and an alum of Minnesota and Wisconsin. I also remain a big supporter of getting UConn in the BIG for ALL SPORTS.

But there was only one need to create a BIG hockey conference: money. Minnesota and Wisconsin hockey fans overwhelmingly objected to the near destruction of the WCHA & loss of intimate geographical rivals that say Hockey East currently enjoys. It's a GD shame what it has done to hockey in the Upper Midwest. I hate it what happened to the WCHA. But BIG hockey is still young in terms of history - the power programs will inevitably adapt & cycle through periods of dominance.

Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota were at one time WCHA members, only Minny and Wisky stuck with the conference til the creation of the BIG. Michigan & Michigan State would leave the WCHA to create CCHA and hopefully grow the sport. Again, those 4 teams, now current BIG members, account for 23 NCAA titles. FYI, that's more titles than the entire current Hockey East - all time.

It's absolutely tragic what happened to the WCHA & I blame the BIG despite being a Minnesota alum. We lost the intimate rivalries that Hockey East enjoys because all of our conference rivals are now out of state. We also lost one of college hockey's biggest rivalry games: North Dakota - Minnesota.

It will take a long time for any current college hockey conference to equal the history of the WCHA.

PS Minny owns the all-time series against BC & every other Hockey East member, minus Boston U - and that's a damn close margin. But we produce far more NHL talent than Mass, despite being a smaller state. But I will confess, Mass has a fantastic culture of college hockey, similar to Minnesota because there are so many D1 teams & they mostly share the same conference. Well because of the BIG hockey conference, Minnesota lost 4 in-state rivals. Still not happy about this shameful greed grab by the BIG.

You're right, I don't know college history very well. I only began following it closely after UConn upgraded to Hockey East. I grew up with the Whalers and took a 20 year hiatus from the NHL after the 96-97 season too. But what I do know is this: UConn plays a top 10 team seemingly every week since I've had season tickets on the IceBus. And until there is some sort of HUGE TV contract for a mega college hockey conference, then I am perfectly happy with the current regionalized model. I can hop in my car and drive to any Hockey East opponent and get there before lunch (except ND of course) and that is, after all, what makes college sports fun.

I obviously didn't mean to ruffle B1G hockey fans feathers with my throw-away comment. My SEC comparison was simply to compare playing a top 25 team every week. Most weeks, multiple times. No other college hockey conference comes close to that. To me, that means the Hockey East is the premier conference in the country. But like I always say about our football program, sports are cyclical and things are subject to change. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St...all have excellent programs and a "white blood" history/tradition. Maybe they should think about coming out east to join Hockey East? :)

Reaction Score

There is literally no reason to televise sports other than to make money off of them. You are nostalgic for a time in college sports that no longer exists. You miss playing Colorado College or NDU or whomever the hell else? Tough luck. Schedule them OOC if they are important to you. I miss playing an independent football schedule composed of primarily Eastern Schools. That's never coming back either. We all have to sacrifice a little of what we love for the betterment of our athletic departments as a whole. I doubt the WCHA would be cutting UM a check for 2 million dollars were it still in existence.

Reaction Score
I know this is going OT a bit, but it would be nice to see NESN and HE work out a bigger tv deal, putting more games on tv. With FIOS and Direct TV NESN is available in the NYC market and this is a really good market for hockey (there are some really high profile youth organizations between LI, Westchester, and NJ...as well as CT) and kids regularly sign with HE teams. It may not be much to schools like BC, BU, ND, UConn, UMass...schools who play D-1 sports at all levels. BUT for the other schools like Merrimack, UMass-Lowell it could pump some serious needed cash into their AD. IF...and this is a big IF UConn gets into the B-12 and a B-12 Network becomes a reality..it wouldn't be a bad idea for HE to try and use that avenue to get more games on the air.

Reaction Score
There is literally no reason to televise sports other than to make money off of them. You are nostalgic for a time in college sports that no longer exists. You miss playing Colorado College or NDU or whomever the hell else? Tough luck. Schedule them OOC if they are important to you. I miss playing an independent football schedule composed of primarily Eastern Schools. That's never coming back either. We all have to sacrifice a little of what we love for the betterment of our athletic departments as a whole. I doubt the WCHA would be cutting UM a check for 2 million dollars were it still in existence.

In terms of college hockey, it has very little to do with television in the state of Minnesota - the fans watch regardless. College hockey is only popular in two regions of the US: upper Midwest and Northeast & it's a damn expensive sport to run at the collegiate level. It's not a popular tv sport in general. Moreover, it's essential to have two game series each weekend much of the time. So don't give me your bs that a school like Minnesota can schedule former WCHA mates OOC - it's impossible unless done over a 3 year period due to the new BIG schedule requirements and expanded travel.

Just think BIG East and UConn, what was sadly lost due to football driving the expansion bus - same goes for the WCHA for the sake of BIG hockey. If college hockey was second only to football - I doubt the WCHA would have collapsed at the expense of a new BIG hockey conference - for such a proposal would have never made it to the drawing board. But then again, there would have likely been no need for a WCHA because more BIG members, as well as universities in general would have D1 hockey.

The WCHA lost 35 NCAA titles due to the formation of the BIG & the indirect results of football expansion. See former members, NCAA Titles in ( parenthesis).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Collegiate_Hockey_Association

I get your tough love argument - UConn and the Big East got screwed. So why not the WCHA - it's former members, esp new BIG members supposedly earning bigger paychecks. But I'm not the one, I was totally against the dissolution of the Big East & I love the intimate rivalries of the former WCHA and current Hockey East (which is far better for college hockey, long-term), & care very little about college football. But I'm impractical.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
In terms of college hockey, it has very little to do with television in the state of Minnesota - the fans watch regardless. College hockey is only popular in two regions of the US: upper Midwest and Northeast & it's a damn expensive sport to run at the collegiate level. It's not a popular tv sport in general. Moreover, it's essential to have two game series each weekend much of the time. So don't give me your bs that a school like Minnesota can schedule former WCHA mates OOC - it's impossible unless done over a 3 year period due to the new BIG schedule requirements and expanded travel.

Just think BIG East and UConn, what was sadly lost due to football driving the expansion bus - same goes for the WCHA for the sake of BIG hockey. If college hockey was second only to football - I doubt the WCHA would have collapsed at the expense of a new BIG hockey conference - for such a proposal would have never made it to the drawing board. But then again, there would have likely been no need for a WCHA because more BIG members, as well as universities in general would have D1 hockey.

The WCHA lost 35 NCAA titles due to the formation of the BIG & the indirect results of football expansion. See former members, NCAA Titles in ( parenthesis).

I get your tough love argument - UConn and the Big East got screwed. So why not the WCHA - it's former members, esp new BIG members supposedly earning bigger paychecks. But I'm not the one, I was totally against the dissolution of the Big East & I love the intimate rivalries of the former WCHA and current Hockey East (which is far better for college hockey, long-term), & care very little about college football. But I'm impractical.

You're responding to a Penn State fan.

Reaction Score
If it came with, say, 6 guaranteed games against the Big Ten every year, I'd consider it.
And, if some hot lil' actress invited you to spend some time together in bed, you might jump at the opportunity. Impossible? Perhaps not, and some sort of 6 football games versus B1G teams may also be possible. Odds on A vs B? ;)

Reaction Score

Three comments here. 1)As you noted, collegiate hockey is very expensive, that is why the additional 2 million a year The B1G's Members receive is very important for sustaining both M/W programs. 2)The additional television exposure created by The BTN for all members is great because it takes the game out of "the upper mid west" and puts it on TV Screens nationwide. This is great advertising for both the programs and the schools in general. 3)It is not essential to have two game series with all programs OOC. Sure its preferable, but you could put together a weekend mini tournament featuring a bunch of your old rivals. You might be able to swing an outdoor event against an old rival as well. Maybe play Denver in Mile High? Play ND at Minny's new place when it opens. It's difficult but arrangements can be made if all parties are game for it.

JMO but The WCHA was toast the second The BTN came into existence. It was/is Delany's Baby, and he would have pushed for the creation of a hockey league the second there were enough full members to field a league.

Look nobody was expecting you to like giving up decades of history and success. As A PSU Fan I wasn't in love with giving up nearly a century of rivalries in all of our sports to join what was viewed as a plodding Midwest Conference at the time. Joe and our AD understood that sustaining independence for football was becoming tenuous at best, and that The B1G would provide a great home for all sports as well as a great partnership for academics. It hasn't all been gumdrops and rainbows for us, but we have had fantastic success in conference and nationally across our whole AD. It was a sacrifice for the betterment of our entire program.

Reaction Score
It's one thing to have visitors who follow other schools to come here and discuss things with us in a non-condescending manner. But am I the only one who doesn't understand how we keep attracting fans of other schools conversing with each other?

Reaction Score
It's one thing to have visitors who follow other schools to come here and discuss things with us in a non-condescending manner. But am I the only one who doesn't understand how we keep attracting fans of other schools conversing with each other?

I'm guessing you are directing the post above to the conversation between GFunk and myself. Therefore I'll try to answer from my end. I enjoy following conference realignment more than the average fan, but there is very little discussion about it on my team's boards.

I am also a fan of UCONN Sports and think you all got a raw deal in realignment to date. I imagine GFunk feels about the same. As to why our conversation? It was really an extension of A B1G v. Hockey East discussion started by A UCONN fan.

I responded to his post because I disagreed with it. That's pretty much it. I get that I'm a guest and unlike some others I spend very little time talking about how great I think my school is or how great The Big is. Both have good and bad points. Hopefully that clears things up on my end.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you are directing the post above to the conversation between GFunk and myself. Therefore I'll try to answer from my end. I enjoy following conference realignment more than the average fan, but there is very little discussion about it on my team's boards.

I am also a fan of UCONN Sports and think you all got a raw deal in realignment to date. I imagine GFunk feels about the same. As to why our conversation? It was really an extension of A B1G v. Hockey East discussion started by A UCONN fan.

I responded to his post because I disagreed with it. That's pretty much it. I get that I'm a guest and unlike some others I spend very little time talking about how great I think my school is or how great The Big is. Both have good and bad points. Hopefully that clears things up on my end.

We are delighted to have you as a guest. Just don't leave any fingerprints on the trophies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

You're welcome here, as is @Gfunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22