Amusement Park and Rides | The Boneyard

Amusement Park and Rides

Reaction Score
We're headed toward the Big E again this year and I'd thought I'd ask:

Where is your favorite amusement park? Gatlinburg TN (area is plentiful in amusements)
What's your favorite type of ride? Go Carts
What rides do you hate? rollercoasters and those spinning around rides

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Where is your favorite amusement park? Universal Orlando. Love the skip the line feature and enjoy citywalk too.

What's your favorite type of ride? The new immersive 3D motion rides with screens (Harry Potter, Kong, Transformers). Like Rollercoasters best among traditional rides.

What rides do you hate? Ferris wheels. Can't stand the heights.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love rollercoasters. Hate anything that spins fast. Ferris wheel is fine; rotor is not.

Reaction Score
None. I have a healthy fear of rides that are assembled by guys living out of automobiles. I don't want my obit to being with "He died when the tilt a whirl malfunctioned and he was flung 100 yards into the fried dough tent where he was killed on impact."

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My favorite amusement park ride as a kid/teen/young adult was the Wild Mouse. Like a Roller Coaster, but instead of speed, it got you with G force. Individual 2 or 4 passenger cars, not a "train." It gets you with momentum and G force by way of abrupt changes in direction, both horizontally and vertically. The one at Quassy was good. The one as Savin Rock was better. FWIW, the Test Track ride at Epcot turns out to be a kind of modernized version of the wild mouse, except for banked turns. The wild mouse don't have no banked turns.
Banked turns are for disney.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't want my obit to [begin] with "He died when the tilt a whirl malfunctioned and he was flung 100 yards into the fried dough tent where he was killed on impact."
Lighten up. You won't be there, and the readers, will love it.

Then again, your intro about the assemblers is truth.

Reaction Score
Always inquire of the 'puke factor'. Too low, no go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a kid, my favorite was Action Park (also called "Traction" Park) in NJ. We'd go twice per summer with my camp, and with all of the casualties there, I'm surprised we never had any. We did leave a kid up there once and the camp director (who was just a college kid) said, and I quote, "I went with 125 kids, I came back with 124, that's an A in any class."

Now days, I like the immersion of the ride and experience so Harry Potter World and Gringots ride are pretty awesome. My favorite part of the 3D motion rides referenced by @HuskyHawk is that when I get queasy (which I do), I can just close my eyes and the ride stops! I don't even have to admit it to my daughter who could probably be an astronaut with her stomach.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As a kid, my favorite was Action Park (also called "Traction" Park) in NJ. We'd go twice per summer with my camp, and with all of the casualties there, I'm surprised we never had any. We did leave a kid up there once and the camp director (who was just a college kid) said, and I quote, "I went with 125 kids, I came back with 124, that's an A in any class."

Now days, I like the immersion of the ride and experience so Harry Potter World and Gringots ride are pretty awesome. My favorite part of the 3D motion rides referenced by @HuskyHawk is that when I get queasy (which I do), I can just close my eyes and the ride stops! I don't even have to admit it to my daughter who could probably be an astronaut with her stomach.
I think about Action Park all the time (I always thought the unofficial name was "Accident Park"). I have no idea how it was allowed to exist. As if the attractions and lack of supervision weren't dangerous enough, we somehow smuggled beer in and stashed it in a creek in the park and we were never remotely sober. I can't believe none of us ever sustained serious injuries.

Reaction Score
Top 5 Favorite Parks so far for me:
1. Cedar Point
2. Island Adventure, Universal
3. Six Flags Magic Mountain
4. Six Flags New Jersey
5. Kings island.... Must ride the Beast at Night, best roller coaster experience

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think about Action Park all the time (I always thought the unofficial name was "Accident Park"). I have no idea how it was allowed to exist. As if the attractions and lack of supervision weren't dangerous enough, we somehow smuggled beer in and stashed it in a creek in the park and we were never remotely sober. I can't believe none of us ever sustained serious injuries.
I peeled the skin off most of my left thigh on the cement luge track.

Loved that place. Lol.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Went to an amusement park last week for the first time in decades - Tivoli Park.

Some decent rides, but more importantly, a terrific beer selection and great German food.

Reaction Score
My favorite amusement park ride as a kid/teen/young adult was the Wild Mouse. Like a Roller Coaster, but instead of speed, it got you with G force. Individual 2 or 4 passenger cars, not a "train." It gets you with momentum and G force by way of abrupt changes in direction, both horizontally and vertically. The one at Quassy was good. The one as Savin Rock was better. FWIW, the Test Track ride at Epcot turns out to be a kind of modernized version of the wild mouse, except for banked turns. The wild mouse don't have no banked turns.
Space Mountain in modeled on the wild mouse. Also, in Animal Kingdom the Primeval Swirl coaster is definitely a classic wild mouse.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@August_West @Chuck

This thread sparked a discussion about Action Park among my friends and me. Their memories were even a little hazier than mine so I fired up the google and found some gold in these write-ups from Wiki and The History Channel. I recommend starting with the Wiki sections on Alpine Slide and Cannonball Loop, but the whole story is pretty amazing--and hysterical in a morbid way, in that the incredible stats and facts are delivered with deadpan Joe Friday seriousness. Oh, and there's this beauty:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
With the exception of Lake Compounce, I have never been to a water park that I did not at least find enjoyable, but you have to be careful. Water parks can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Have to wash up thoroughly afterwards. We went to both sides of LC at the end of July and I found the water park to be dirty, overcrowded with inconsiderate people, and the slides weren't as fun as say the Ocean City (NJ) Boardwalk Waterpark that we went to 2 weeks later.

Also really like Great Wolf Lodge in Fitchburg MA. Been there twice. It's a reasonable (but somewhat expensive) way to break up the winter. OTOH, the cost appears more reasonable if you itemize the weekend (3 days water park, 2 nights hotel for 2 adults and 2 kids).

My favorite water park is/was Water Country in New Hampshire, but that was about 30 years ago. It's been through a few owners since then.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't have a favorite park but definitely like places with lots of big coasters and thrill rides. Not a fan of using VR or sensory tricks in place of actual movement. For example, Harry Potter and Spider Man at Universal in Orlando.

That being said, I hate the slow creep up to the top of roller coasters. Basically have to close my eyes. Also, the flying chairs are an absolute non-starter. Always expect them to fly off in to infinity.

I did like the Disney water park in Orlando. As much as I want to do some of those large indoor water parks, I can't get past the thought of the smell of chlorine and everything being wet and slippery. And I'm pretty sure they're a giant petri dish of human waste.

Reaction Score
@August_West @Chuck

This thread sparked a discussion about Action Park among my friends and me. Their memories were even a little hazier than mine so I fired up the google and found some gold in these write-ups from Wiki and The History Channel. I recommend starting with the Wiki sections on Alpine Slide and Cannonball Loop, but the whole story is pretty amazing--and hysterical in a morbid way, in that the incredible stats and facts are delivered with deadpan Joe Friday seriousness. Oh, and there's this beauty:

I was also an annual visitor to Action Park (1000% called 'Traction park'), mostly in early teenage years, I remember distinctly when the loop slide was built and that it rarely was open. It was briefly open on one visit but was an obvious injury trap and we knew not to try it.

I still really love water parks and that's our families' go to, traction park is the inspiration. Water Wizz in Wareham MA is an underrated low-key fun day (we were there 8/31), went to another decent off brand park in Maine a few years ago that had one or two fun 'drop slides', Volcano Bay is favorite thus far.

I made one final trip to Traction Park while in college (circa 1986?), they had built a six-story-ish platform for Bungee jumping. I'd lost a bet and had to go. My girlfriend went first, at the bottom as she was being un-clipped the guy on the crash pad radio'd the guy about to send me off yelling & lecturing severely "don't ever send anyone off again without checking their straps are secured properly!"
I felt I had no choice since my girlfriend had done it, so I walked the plank & jumped.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I used to enjoy that too, until that time when the one at Rye Playland sent a car into the parking lot.

I cannot find a source on this, but I recall it was either late 60s or early 70s and it was an empty car done as part of a test or regular maintenance so nobody was hurt. The ride was shut down for a considerable period.

And that was the same Wild Mouse that Rye Playland sold to Quassy.

I loved coasters up until I got a gut. Then the safety bars combined with G forces became painful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom