Amore: TV Picture Appears Cloudy For Michigan Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Amore: TV Picture Appears Cloudy For Michigan Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
8893 said:
@BUHusky10 , no one is saying you're wrong. Just that nothing you're saying is new. It's always been the case that the younger generation wishes the old fogies would adapt to the newest technology sooner than they do. The market tends to take care of that once the majority of the people paying for the services demand it.

Actually he is wrong. It's not as cut and dry as he thinks in regards to what he is bemoaning, and as someone who has worked in the tech field for 20 years with 10 of those being specifically in digital video content creation and delivery I find his opinion overly simplistic and laughable , but I was an opinionated know it all in my youth too ( and according to my wife I never grew out of that)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Socrates

And look what happened to the ancient greeks!

Reaction Score
This all happened on 11/18/15. All this sorta annoys me. The context is available. There are people willing to pay. Instead we are strong armed into having dishes and wires run all over our house.
Imagine if you knew how many MORE wires tehre are running all over your house behind the walls!

Wires running all over the house... hysterical.

PS - there are pipes, too!!!

Reaction Score
Send tweets to @comcast and @axstv. Let's get this game on in Connecticut!

Reaction Score
Channel 1106 for those who have U-Verse/Frontier. Also carries NFL network when Thursday night games can only be watched there. Had this service for 8+ years and it's very good. Beats local cable providers on service and price....only downside is that HD is slightly lesser quality than cable providers from what I've experienced.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
All the old timers quoting Socrates can stuff it. The fact of the matter is that when it comes to the context of this discussion, being "digital content distribution", the "baby boomer" generation time after time has failed. It literally took the rise of Netflix turning into a corporate behemoth and a massive financial success for traditional, cable-based content providers, to finally say "hey, maybe we should change our product model", and lo and behold now things like WatchESPN, HBOGo, WatchTNT, Hulu, are popping up everyday while Comcast and TimeWarner wonder why people don't want their overpriced, bloated cable packages that they only were able to introduce back in ye olden time due to monopolies.

The old generation's way of thinking regarding this issue is simply outdated and wrong. For years these providers were stubborn and refused to release digital content online, even for prospective paying customers, for the unbased fears of piracy and monopoly on the marketplace (thinking they simply didn't "need" to do anything). Now technology has advanced and so have the users, and they are still sitting in their offices pondering why their share prices and profit margins are plummeting and why their customers refuse to pay for their obsolete products.

You know why they are popping up every day? Because we are finally developing the infrastructure to the masses to support the delivery of content in this manner. The whole digital delivery game is in its infancy. I know the point will be lost on someone who was most likely being fed breakfast by Mommy before school when the first IPhone came out, but things are moving at a breakneck speed, faster than I could even have ever imagined (and as mentioned Im in the business). The game IS changing, and quickly. We are not even 5 years in to the masses having the kind of bandwidth to accept digital offerings in a workable manner. Not 3 years into masses having adopted LTE and other high speed wireless. The tech has to be in place before the delivery can penetrate.
If there is delay, it is in DRM and that is due to the fact that intitially you millennials wanted everything for FREE (and that aint going to happen).And piracy WAS NOT an unbased fear. But you were probably 5 years old when Napster was a thing so I dont expect you to understand. Record companies were caught with the pants down, yes, but we are talking wild west. NO ONE at that time could predict directions the internet would take. So next time instead of yelling at the Boomers, thank a Gen X'er (Im one of those) for changing the world, all this stuff was set in motion 15 years ago and weve come a LONG way in that short time. (although I know it doesnt seem short to someone who has never heard a dial up modem log on, or see the first gen of of web videos plagued by "buffering" due to low bandwidth and processing power). We ARE heading to where you want to be. It is inevitable. I can't see it moving any faster than it is and has been, but Im sure I will continue to be surprised when it DOES move faster.

LOL @ Millennials. Millennial = someone who bitches about Boomers standing in the way of tech advancement, and then goes out and buys record on Vinyl because they sound better. (and it does)

N00bz

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I'm going to use the Periscope app to view it live on my iphone. That's my only option. And watch a reply when its made available.

I really, really hope UConn beats Michigan. Otherwise, that would mean all of the remaining games will be on AXS-TV, instead of ESPN.

Beat Michigan !

Reaction Score
yeah if you are going to check the game out at a bar around west hartford /hartford I suggest avoiding the Center, homecoming weekend it'll be a zoo. Maybe find a sliders ? There's one on the Newington line near elmwood , or jtims/sliders which are both on the plainville farmington line

Reaction Score
was just about to ask for a bar recommendation in hartford/weha extended area. curious where people are planning to go.

usually damon's is my goto, but that has closed down unfortunately.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
You know why they are popping up every day? Because we are finally developing the infrastructure to the masses to support the delivery of content in this manner. The whole digital delivery game is in its infancy. I know the point will be lost on someone who was most likely being fed breakfast by Mommy before school when the first IPhone came out, but things are moving at a breakneck speed, faster than I could even have ever imagined (and as mentioned Im in the business). The game IS changing, and quickly. We are not even 5 years in to the masses having the kind of bandwidth to accept digital offerings in a workable manner. Not 3 years into masses having adopted LTE and other high speed wireless. The tech has to be in place before the delivery can penetrate.
If there is delay, it is in DRM and that is due to the fact that intitially you millennials wanted everything for FREE (and that aint going to happen).And piracy WAS NOT an unbased fear. But you were probably 5 years old when Napster was a thing so I dont expect you to understand. Record companies were caught with the pants down, yes, but we are talking wild west. NO ONE at that time could predict directions the internet would take. So next time instead of yelling at the Boomers, thank a Gen X'er (Im one of those) for changing the world, all this stuff was set in motion 15 years ago and weve come a LONG way in that short time. (although I know it doesnt seem short to someone who has never heard a dial up modem log on, or see the first gen of of web videos plagued by "buffering" due to low bandwidth and processing power). We ARE heading to where you want to be. It is inevitable. I can't see it moving any faster than it is and has been, but Im sure I will continue to be surprised when it DOES move faster.

LOL @ Millennials. Millennial = someone who bitches about Boomers standing in the way of tech advancement, and then goes out and buys record on Vinyl because they sound better. (and it does)

N00bz
Aside from your blatant attempt to frame my argument as invalid due to my age, you fail to mention that other countries outside of the USA have had this infrastructure you are referring to for almost a decade before it was introduced here. The US is barely top 10 in terms of average Internet speeds and bandwidth. This is not an issue of technological limitations, it's an issue of a market that refuses to adapt simply because up until recently they had no financial incentive to do so, and now they are losing market share.

But I wouldn't expect an old man like yourself to understand these difficult concepts. You were probably being spoon fed yams by your grandson when Netflix was first introduced!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Aside from your blatant attempt to frame my argument as invalid due to my age, you fail to mention that other countries outside of the USA have had this infrastructure you are referring to for almost a decade before it was introduced here. The US is barely top 10 in terms of average Internet speeds and bandwidth. This is not an issue of technological limitations, it's an issue of a market that refuses to adapt simply because up until recently they had no financial incentive to do so, and now they are losing market share.

But I wouldn't expect an old man like yourself to understand these difficult concepts. You were probably being spoon fed yams by your grandson when Netflix was first introduced!
LOL - . What countries are you referencing? European countries? Please. The NAF study, amirite? Might want to rethink that.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi...ed-internet-the-grass-isnt-greener-in-europe/

Yes, at times figuring out ways to do business in this ever changing world is a clusterF. Things are shaking out and the best ideas will win out. But things are already way more competitive than they were and its a good thing. Even a behemoth like Comcast has changed. I do business with them in the home and business environments (as well as ATT, Verizon, and Frontier) Comcast has come a long way in the last 5 years in Customer service and service changes (see: X1 platform).

The market IS adapting. You said so yourself in your earlier post, by saying Netflix forced everyone into it. You just have an "I want it now, daddy" attitude. Your handle should be Veruca Salt.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where's my damned hover board? And my jet pack? And my flying car?

How do these things not exist for the consumer market yet? I want them and I know they can be made.

Slackers.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Where's my damned hover board? And my jet pack? And my flying car?

How do these things not exist for the consumer market yet? I want them and I know they can be made.

Slackers.

Excuse me, but if we refer back to my first post, I was "asking" for a stream on their website. Are you trying to equate a streaming online video to a hoverboard, or a flying car? Clearly the oldies have taken to defending their ineptitude.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Excuse me, but if we refer back to my first post, I was "asking" for a stream on their website. Are you trying to equate a streaming online video to a hoverboard, or a flying car? Clearly the oldies have taken to defending their ineptitude.
Easy bud. I'm just having fun. You might give that a try some time.

If you look back, I've actually supported most of what you've said. But your temper tantrums are getting a little annoying. Need your binky?

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Easy bud. I'm just having fun. You might give that a try some time.

If you look back, I've actually supported most of what you've said. But your temper tantrums are getting a little annoying. Need your binky?
Fair enough. But temper tantrums? I've had 3 posts in this thread of 50+ replies.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Buy the rights to the telecasts and put them up for us. :)

Listen, we are all UConn fans and we all want to see the game. I hate that Im having to jump through hoops (/pun) for this . Im sure you feel the same. But you went further than posting about asking for a stream on their website. You blamed it on Baby boomers resistant to change and that we need (and Im not even a boomer) to get out of your way so the world can evolve. What did you think would happen after that?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Fair enough. But temper tantrums? I've had 3 posts in this thread of 50+ replies.
Fair enough. I'm just getting cranky in my old age (a year older than August).

Reaction Score
Not a problem when you have this sweet set up.

jetsons-tv-screen-sm.jpg

Reaction Score
Periscope feeds can be viewed on a PC browser, problem is they frequently get shut down if they're streaming things that are technically copyrighted. Also, the stream/audio quality will likely be awful.

Reaction Score
Just spoke with the manager at Bobby V's over by Bradley and they WILL have the game! Not too far from the WeHa/Hartford area. Got tons of tvs and solid food. Should be a fun time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom