amore mailbag on freshman impact next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

amore mailbag on freshman impact next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, his game wasn't starter quality down the stretch. Don't care how many points he scored. Without Bazz on the floor Boat looked lost.

His starting spot isn't a given. Hopefully he makes the leap.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Without RB we don't win the Providence game in OT. He went through some sophmore slumps just like KW and SN. Why do people have to be so hard on the guy? No way he isn't starting with SN in the backcourt.

The starting lineup will be:
PG: SN
SG: RB
SF: OC
PF: DD
C: PN or EW or TO.

I would like the starting lineup to be
SF: NG
C: PN or KF.

I think having NG starting gives us a little more size and rebounding and if his shot improves a little bit more on the outside he can be comparable to OC offensively. I think it would be perfect to see OC come off the bench and be instant offense. He would have a dedicated role that seems to fit his game.

Reaction Score
Guys, our starting lineup will be as follows:

SN
RB
OC
DD
___

The center spot is the only question right now.

Quit speculating on all this garbage about Boat coming off the bench. He averaged ~17ppg last year.

This board is ridiculous sometimes.

Yea I'm baffled at people thinking 1-4 aren't already decided right now, the 5 spot is the only one up for debate.

Reaction Score
Without RB we don't win the Providence game in OT. He went through some sophmore slumps just like KW and SN. Why do people have to be so hard on the guy? No way he isn't starting with SN in the backcourt.

The starting lineup will be:
SF: OC
C: PN or EW or TO.

I would like the starting lineup to be
SF: NG
C: PN or KF.

I think having NG starting gives us a little more size and rebounding and if his shot improves a little bit more on the outside he can be comparable to OC offensively. I think it would be perfect to see OC come off the bench and be instant offense. He would have a dedicated role that seems to fit his game.

Omar became a very good rebounder from the 3 spot as the season progressed, I don't think he's any worse than Niels there and he might even be a little bit better. Before the wrist injury took away his ability to shoot he was becoming a very well rounded player on offense and defense. I love Niels for his versatility but unless he stops pulling the string on his shot and becomes more agressive offensively he's better suited coming off the bench. A starting lineup of Boat, Bazz, Omar, DeAndre is a very good offensive lineup and could be scary if Boat/OC/DD make the necessary jumps in their game.

Reaction Score
If Olander is seeing the floor a lot, our new bigs and Nolan aren't getting it done, especially since DD at the four for stretches will be common place.

Reaction Score
If Olander is seeing the floor a lot, our new bigs and Nolan aren't getting it done, especially since DD at the four for stretches will be common place.

Yea I would hope an improved Nolan, Facey, and if Wolf comes back limits Tyler to about 8mpg at most.

Reaction Score
Omar became a very good rebounder from the 3 spot as the season progressed, I don't think he's any worse than Niels there and he might even be a little bit better. Before the wrist injury took away his ability to shoot he was becoming a very well rounded player on offense and defense. I love Niels for his versatility but unless he stops pulling the string on his shot and becomes more agressive offensively he's better suited coming off the bench. A starting lineup of Boat, Bazz, Omar, DeAndre is a very good offensive lineup and could be scary if Boat/OC/DD make the necessary jumps in their game.

No way is OC as good as of a defensive player in staying in front of his man as NG. Rebounding favored NG over OC(6.8 over 4.8 per 40 minutes). OC might give us more offense but I rather have the extra rebounding and defense with 3 scorers already in the lineup. I think in the beginning of last season before DD developed offensively it made sense to start OC. Though now that DD is a bonafide 3rd scoring option I rather address the lack of height, defense and rebounding with NG. NG was covering the oppossing centers last year and doing a great job. I rather have OC on the bench but I'm sure KO will start him with SN, RB and DD.

The center position is the only opened position and I think PN with a little added muscle will end up being the starter there.

Reaction Score
KO will know what the best lineup is. I think he had a fantastic year as a first year head coach. I have faith in him to get it right. The rest of us are just goobers who waste our time speculating on a message board. When you get right down to it, everything we type is meaningless other than for a little entertainment value.

Reaction Score
I never said OC was as good defensively as NG, my only arguments were rebounding and scoring. He's easily the better scorer, and over his last 10 games he averaged 5.4 rebounds per game. Would I expect that over the course of the season, no, but he averaged about the same over the year as NG while NG played more minutes at the 4 and even some 5 putting him closer to the basket. I really don't get the hang-up you guys have on OC's size(or size in general on here), he's what 6'4" or 6'5" in shoes, there is nothing wrong with playing a guy that size at the 3 in college. Ray was about 6'5" and he spent the majority of his college career at the 3, Jerome was even smaller and we were argually the best team in the country in 09 with him playing there.

No way is OC as good as of a defensive player in staying in front of his man as NG. Rebounding was about the same but NG played 11 less minutes per game so actually he was better. OC might give us more offense but I rather have the extra rebounding and defense with 3 scorers already in the lineup. I think in the beginning of last season before DD developed offensively it made sense to start OC. Though now that DD is a bonafide 3rd scoring option I rather address the lack of height, defense and rebounding with NG. NG was covering the oppossing centers last year and doing a great job. I rather have OC on the bench but I'm sure KO will start him with SN, RB and DD.

The center position is the only opened position and I think PN with a little added muscle will end up being the starter there.

Reaction Score
id like boat coming off the bench to be honest. but this would only work if oc has improved his handle.

KO's system is predicated on 2 ball handlers (at least it was last year). That's a major reason Purvis came here as well. Omar just isn't strong enough in that department yet. We need Boatright because he helps free up Bazz for open looks and helps us run and get our fast break going.

Boat has his flaws, but he was also a sophomore last year. Look at the jump both Bazz and Kemba made soph to jr year. I'm expecting big things from Boat next year. As well as big things for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
This is crazy. Boatright was our second best player last year. Did everyone saying he should come off the bench forget the Syracuse game last year? Boat was inconsistent, but he also had a 5 or 6 game stretch where he was our best player last year. He was a soph. Sophomores are inconsistent. Was Deandre any less inconsistent last year? No.

Boat will be starting next year and it wont be up for debate. Not only is he our 2nd or 3rd best player, but KO's system needs two ball handlers and Boat just happens to be our best one.

Reaction Score
I never said OC was as good defensively as NG, my only arguments were rebounding and scoring. He's easily the better scorer, and over his last 10 games he averaged 5.4 rebounds per game. Would I expect that over the course of the season, no, but he averaged about the same over the year as NG while NG played more minutes at the 4 and even some 5 putting him closer to the basket. I really don't get the hang-up you guys have on OC's size(or size in general on here), he's what 6'4" or 6'5" in shoes, there is nothing wrong with playing a guy that size at the 3 in college. Ray was about 6'5" and he spent the majority of his college career at the 3, Jerome was even smaller and we were argually the best team in the country in 09 with him playing there.

I just think rebounding and defense inside is a bigger issue than scoring with DD's emergence on offense. Either way it is a moot point since OC will be starting and NG coming off the bench. Just would love to see a change next year especially if NG offense is improved even a little. The big thing is RB will be starting and anyone who questions that is a fool.

Reaction Score
If KO chooses to go with a bigger starting lineup to improve both defense and rebounding, Boat could flourish in an instant offense sixth man role and still get starters minutes. I don't see where that is a bad thing at all.

Reaction Score
If KO chooses to go with a bigger starting lineup to improve both defense and rebounding, Boat could flourish in an instant offense sixth man role and still get starters minutes. I don't see where that is a bad thing at all.
It's not happening. No way are we going with just one good ballhandler on the floor. OC was dreadful and maybe can improve to serviceable ballhandler.

Reaction Score
I think we need to embrace our mid-major identity (tongue-in-cheek, in case that wasn't obvious) and go with the small lineup we used a majority of the time last year. DD at the 4, OC at the 3, Boat/Bazz at the interchangeable 1/2, and either Nolan or Facey or Wolf or Olander at the 5 (Brimah should redshirt unless Wolf is gone). Samuels backs up at the PG position, Giff will get heavy minutes at the 3/4, and we go with the hot hand at center. That's your 8-9 man rotation.

I'm amazed at how quickly people have forgotten the abortion of offense we tried to run in 2012 with AD at the 5 and AO at the 4, two guys who can't play farther than 10 feet from the rim. The proposed lineups with Wolf and Nolan playing together are just horrible.

Reaction Score
1-4 are set, it's amazing how clueless some of our fans are, of course Boatright starts.

Reaction Score

So if Boatright is going to get starter's minutes anyway, what are we really debating here? That just means the bigger lineup you suggested would be used for a few minutes at the start of each half and the majority of the time we'd go with Napier, Boat, Omar, and Daniels, at the 1-4 anyway.

Reaction Score
Conservative projections for bigs: KF 5 pts. 6 Rebs, EW 5 pts. 4 Rebs, TO 4 pts 4 Rebs, PN 4 pts. 4 Rebs, AB 1 pt, 2 Rebs
Add it up: 19 pts. 20 Rebs from the 5 and less than half of the minutes at the 4.
Huge upgrade over this year and not an unreasonable individual goal for any player (although admittedly, it is unlikely that we would get that much consistent production out of all of them...but perhaps it can average out?)

Since Giffey, Daniels, Napier, Boatright, and Calhoun will likely be playing 80% of the minutes barring foul trouble, your projections are much closer to wildy unrealistic than conservative.

I'm guessing the minute distribution will read as follows, assuming everybody's back:

PG - Napier 25 min, Boat 15 min

SG - Boat 20 min, Napier 10 min, Calhoun 10 min

SF - Calhoun 20 min, Giffey 10 min, Daniels 10 min

PF - Daniels 25 min, Giffey 15 min

C - Facey 25 min, Wolf 10 min, Olander 5 min

It remains unclear whether Brimah and Samuel will be ready to contribute next season - my feeling is Brimah's a bit of a project who would be well-served redshirting and Samuel's somebody who would play minutes on the vast majority of BCS conference teams but will be squeezed here due to the depth in the backcourt. The bottom line is anybody who has Giffey playing less than starters minutes wasn't paying much attention last season - the kid is the best defender on the team by a pretty significant margin, he spaces the floor, and he's tough as nails. Olander will likely see his minutes cut drastically without substancial improvement and Wolf will have to improve dramatically in his pick and roll defense if he wants to see the floor in crunch time. Take it with a grain of salt, because I haven't seen Facey play more than a couple minutes here and there, but I'd wager Facey's somewhat of a rich man's Phil Nolan - a slightly better shotclocker with a slightly more polished offensive game. This is all obviously a fluid situation though, and for all I know, Wolf could be playing the lions share of the minutes at the 5. I have no idea. I wouldn't even be shocked if Giffey plays some center.

Reaction Score
I expect omar to be a stud next year. he is going to put up a ton of points especially if he improves his handle. he could lead the team in scoring.

Reaction Score
25 minutes for Facey and only 5 for Olander might be a stretch Champs. We have yet to see Facey in a Husky uniform...

Reaction Score
Since Giffey, Daniels, Napier, Boatright, and Calhoun will likely be playing 80% of the minutes barring foul trouble, your projections are much closer to wildy unrealistic than conservative.

I'm guessing the minute distribution will read as follows, assuming everybody's back:

PG - Napier 25 min, Boat 15 min

SG - Boat 20 min, Napier 10 min, Calhoun 10 min

SF - Calhoun 20 min, Giffey 10 min, Daniels 10 min

PF - Daniels 25 min, Giffey 15 min

C - Facey 25 min, Wolf 10 min, Olander 5 min

It remains unclear whether Brimah and Samuel will be ready to contribute next season - my feeling is Brimah's a bit of a project who would be well-served redshirting and Samuel's somebody who would play minutes on the vast majority of BCS conference teams but will be squeezed here due to the depth in the backcourt. The bottom line is anybody who has Giffey playing less than starters minutes wasn't paying much attention last season - the kid is the best defender on the team by a pretty significant margin, he spaces the floor, and he's tough as nails. Olander will likely see his minutes cut drastically without substancial improvement and Wolf will have to improve dramatically in his pick and roll defense if he wants to see the floor in crunch time. Take it with a grain of salt, because I haven't seen Facey play more than a couple minutes here and there, but I'd wager Facey's somewhat of a rich man's Phil Nolan - a slightly better shotclocker with a slightly more polished offensive game. This is all obviously a fluid situation though, and for all I know, Wolf could be playing the lions share of the minutes at the 5. I have no idea. I wouldn't even be shocked if Giffey plays some center.
Nolan?

Reaction Score
champs, didn't Phil Nolan show you enough improvement the last few games to ensure he will be a player for the minutes which are open?

Reaction Score
We can pencil in this lineup with the center spot blank, awaiting developments. I hope that KO remembers that there were a lot of times down the stretch of the last year where our best lineup had NG and DD as the frontcourt. There will be times when that lineup will probably be our best again, as long as there is not an opposing center who can really dominate our small lineup.

I would like to see Niels getting time at various spots depending upon the opponent. If Samuel needs time to develop and we are facing pressure, I would not be surprised if Niels would be at least as good as Omar in handling the ball. He's a much better passer. If Omar can show a secure handle, he could switch to the 2 (when Bazz or Boat out), Niels to the 3, DD at the 4.

Lots of possibilities, but lets not forget NG. I've been waiting for his game to emerge and he started to show it over the last third of the season. He became our best defender and toughest inside player. If he would just relax and shoot the ball in rhythm without overthinking, he might be our best outside shooter when open.

Love Giffey, think he has a lot of strengths, but I don't think passing is one of them. He guards well, rebounds well, cuts to get open well, maybe an edge in handling the ball compared to Omar. But he just passes around the perimeter or throws in entry passes, doesn't really drive and dish.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Love Giffey, think he has a lot of strengths, but I don't think passing is one of them. He guards well, rebounds well, cuts to get open well, maybe an edge in handling the ball compared to Omar. But he just passes around the perimeter or throws in entry passes, doesn't really drive and dish.

When Giffey first joined the team, he would try to push the ball on the fast break and attempted too difficult passes that led to turnovers too often. JC then went off on him many times, leading to his becoming extremely tentative in just about everything he did. I agree that we have not seen him drive and dish, but I don't think that means he can't do it, just that he has not been willing to try more aggressive plays. He has been (slowly) getting more willing to try to make plays and I just hope he will say "F.... it, this is my last year and I'm going to put it all out there."

Omar has not exactly been great at doing the drive and dish either. He did show more flashes of driving the ball effectively late in the season. He made a lot of turnovers while trying to pass on the fast break or even bringing the ball up the court and I have not had the sense that he has very good court vision. Maybe that is due to his handle not being that secure under pressure. He does not make entry passes and that is a big deal when playing against zones. I think that Bazz is the only Husky who is really competent at making entry passes, but Giffey could be really good if he would just play more aggressively with the ball.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If anyone is expecting Kentan Facey to step up and play the starting 5 you're crazy. He'll be a role player coming off the bench at the 4. With more depth out there, Wolf will be the starting center, and he rightfully should be.

Reaction Score
Facey isn't getting the same amount of tick as Giffey, atleast I hope. I think this board and we as fans, think size up front is a necessity when it really isn't. Playing small ball is the way to go. surround Daniels with shooters and every once in a while a shotblocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom