Amore: "AAC Tourney Make or Break" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Amore: "AAC Tourney Make or Break"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No problem, you either must be one of those eternal optimists I envy so much or you're just a fan of sarcasm
I'm just a person who has the requisite intelligence to understand how much can change over the course of 14 games. Especially given what happened with the team I'm a fan of in 2011 and 2014. I also understand how incredibly terrible the bubble has been every year since the field expanded to 68 teams. I also understand that as the defending national champion with the Connecticut name brand, we will get in the field over some other random team if all other things are equal.

None of this is to say I think it's likely we get an automatic bid. I don't think it's likely (i.e. over 50% at this point). But the percentage we do get one is higher than you are making it out to be.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I'm just a person who has the requisite intelligence to understand how much can change over the course of 14 games. Especially given what happened with the team I'm a fan of in 2011 and 2014. I also understand how incredibly terrible the bubble has been every year since the field expanded to 68 teams. I also understand that as the defending national champion with the Connecticut name brand, we will get in the field over some other random team if all other things are equal.

None of this is to say I think it's likely we get an automatic bid. I don't think it's likely (i.e. over 50% at this point). But the percentage we do get one is higher than you are making it out to be.
I'm not lacking the knowledge, I'm just saying that agonizing over this every game is annoying. Just look at our product, we are 9-7 and haven't shown all that much. We currently have more of an opportunity to worsen our resume with losses to AAC schools rather than strengthen it. Running the table in the regular season is not realistic...ip so facto it's conference tourney in my book...you just have a different taste in books than I do

Reaction Score
I'm not lacking the knowledge, I'm just saying that agonizing over this every game is annoying. Just look at our product, we are 9-7 and haven't shown all that much. We currently have more of an opportunity to worsen our resume with losses to ty AAC schools rather than strengthen it. Running the table in the regular season is not realistic...ip so facto it's conference tourney in my book...you just have a different taste in books than I do
Though I basically agree with you I wouldn't rule out UCONN just yet. They could still go 12-2 the rest of the regular season or maybe 11-3 and still make it. They would have to win at least 1 at 12-2 and twice at 11-3 in the tourney to get in. I just don't see it right now but I'm willing to see one game at a time where they end up. Right now I'm not too positive about them making it but if you are a UCONN fan then there is still a chance until they are mathematically out of it according to the RPI for an at large bid. LOL! Even then they can still win the Tourney since it is at home against pretty weak competition.

Reaction Score
Even though we're not as good this season you can see the growth.. We're gonna give teams fits in 2015-16... Hoping we make it to the NCAA tourney, NIT at the very least...

Reaction Score
Even though we're not as good this season you can see the growth.. We're gonna give teams fits in 2015-16... Hoping we make it to the NCAA tourney, NIT at the very least...
I just hope AB can get stronger even it means only a few pounds more than he is now. He doesn't have a huge frame to begin with as far as his shoulders.

Reaction Score
I'm not lacking the knowledge, I'm just saying that agonizing over this every game is annoying. Just look at our product, we are 9-7 and haven't shown all that much. We currently have more of an opportunity to worsen our resume with losses to ty AAC schools rather than strengthen it. Running the table in the regular season is not realistic...ip so facto it's conference tourney in my book...you just have a different taste in books than I do
What are we agonizing over every game? And if whatever it is annoys you, don't read it?

Reaction Score
The concern for me is this team hasnt looked good at all the last 2 games. They look like their getting worse. No life or fight from them. I would be optimistic if they played hard but they seem to have given up. So NIT here we come.

Reaction Score
Here's a question. Last night Pitt got beat at Duke pretty good. We played Duke pretty much the same but Pitt and Syracuse continue to get to play ranked teams up and down their schedule. Do St. John's, Pitt, and Cuse, have better chances than us at this point?

Reaction Score
The concern for me is this team hasnt looked good at all the last 2 games. They look like their getting worse. No life or fight from them. I would be optimistic if they played hard but they seem to have given up. So NIT here we come.

In fairness, the last 5 games were a tough stretch of schedule. Lots of pressure to win, 4 decent opponents, and a ton of travel. I think the energy we expended against Florida and Cincy plus the travel played a big part in how we looked last week.

Hopefully we can come out fresh after this break and use 2 home games against lesser opponents to start a bit of a roll. Things aren't looking great, but I'm not ready to give up the ship yet.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
What are we agonizing over every game? And if whatever it is annoys you, don't read it?
Lighten up bro...don't understand why some people always looking for confrontation. I even presented you a peace offering by throwing you a like on your post.

Reaction Score
Lighten up bro...don't understand why some people always looking for confrontation. I even presented you a peace offering by throwing you a like on your post.
I just didn't know what you were talking about.

Reaction Score
People get a bit testy when the season doesn't go as expected, human nature.

Reaction Score
Saying the team needs to win the conference tourney is a stupid and clueless statement. You are telling me if the teams wins out they do not get an at large bid? Ha give me a break.

If you want to discuss whether the team is good enough to win enough games down the stretch to get to say 20-10 well that is a valid discussion point.

Unless some people start boxing out (the effort the last 2 games was disgraceful) and hitting free throws and layups then no we are not.

Reaction Score
If things continue as they have, the AAC Tourney will be make or break - we did a good amount of damage to the season over the past two games.

We're 9-7 in a conference that received actual scorn from the committee last year - and it's much worse this year. If we were a seven seed last year, we need divine intervention right now.

We're high-70's in the RPI, 2-5 vs the top 50, 3-7 vs the top 100. We have four games remaining against RPI top-50 opponents and we'll probably go 2-2 there. There is a better chance of our remaining top 50 opponents falling out of the top 50 entirely than there is that we'll go 4-0. I figure that absent some sort of improvement, we'll finish the regular season at about 19-11 or 18-12 (12-6/11-7 in conference).

Last year, 23-8 and 12-6 got SMU sent to the NIT. As with SMU, we have have little to show out of conference and I think losing at home before the AAC finals would likely doom us to JV tourney.
You have to stop with all the facts! I have no problem but it is obvious you are talking to a lot of people that do not know what the AAC stands for or the level our team is playing at this year. You are smudging all their blue (rose) colored glasses. ;)

Reaction Score
I have recently joined the KA program (kool-aid anonymous). I know you all are projecting, but this is a one day (i.e. game) at a time team.

Talk of running tables, winning the conference tourney and 23-24 wins are drugs I am trying to avoid. I must stay in the now, which for me means we have to win Saturday against UCF.
Please try to stay in the now and continue to avoid the drugs. When they wear off do realize we do not play on Saturday. We have UCF on Thursday and USF on Sunday. No slander here but I'll have what you can spare to get through it all. Big time football fan also...brother can you spare a dime?
:cool:

Reaction Score
Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting, Brimah saved us against St. Joe's and T Sam was solid as KO recruits; but those were JC's boys carrying us last year. Can't say KO had it easy recruiting against the bogus ban of 2 years ago and he did keep D Ham. But we lost way too much to have thought it would be easy. Lubin and Sam Jr. aren't PTPers. We have a project and one blue chip next year so far recruiting with an NC. The AAC won't get more than 3 bids this year and every big conference and I include the Big East are throwing it at every recruyt. We need a closer.

Think this year it is win tourney or bust, Goooooooo Huskies.

Reaction Score
Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting, Brimah saved us against St. Joe's and T Sam was solid as KO recruits; but those were JC's boys carrying us last year. Can't say KO had it easy recruiting against the bogus ban of 2 years ago and he did keep D Ham. But we lost way too much to have thought it would be easy. Lubin and Sam Jr. aren't PTPers. We have a project and one blue chip next year so far recruiting with an NC. The AAC won't get more than 3 bids this year and every big conference and I include the Big East are throwing it at every recruyt. We need a closer.

Think this year it is win tourney or bust, Goooooooo Huskies.
You're right, those were JC's boys that carried us last year. And most of them weren't very good when they were freshman and sophomores, but I guess you'll just gloss over that.

Reaction Score
If Bruce Brown reclassifies to 2015 and he comes here we will have 3 top 60 players for next year. That's a solid class. Also consider that we have a good chance to be returning 9 players from this year's team. I think playing time is bigger factor why we are not getting recruits than people realize.

Reaction Score
Florida and Dayton are both losing by double digits right now, so we're not getting much help.

I'm sure there are various ways you can manipulate the numbers and percentages to suit your argument, but to me, it comes down to this: win the conference (not the tournament, the conference) and you're in. I just have a hard time believing that they would keep out the conference champion, defending national champs, even if we're in the AAC.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Saying the team needs to win the conference tourney is a stupid and clueless statement. You are telling me if the teams wins out they do not get an at large bid? Ha give me a break.

If you want to discuss whether the team is good enough to win enough games down the stretch to get to say 20-10 well that is a valid discussion point.

Unless some people start boxing out (the effort the last 2 games was disgraceful) and hitting free throws and layups then no we are not.
I don't think anyone is saying that if we win out, we won't get in...everyone who is saying it's AAC tourney title or bust is saying that this team is incapable of running the table at this juncture. Anything can happen but based on what they have shown so far, I wouldn't put much stock in steam rolling through the remainder of the AAC schedule

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is saying that if we win out, we won't get in...everyone who is saying it's AAC tourney title or bust is saying that this team is incapable of running the table at this juncture. Anything can happen but based on what they have shown so far, I wouldn't put much stock in steam rolling through the remainder of the AAC schedule
Oh, I get it now. The people saying AAC tourney or bust don't know what the phrase AAC tourney or bust means. That explains a lot, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom